Author Topic: The saga of an invalidated trade  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
The saga of an invalidated trade
« on: August 03, 2015, 03:47:22 AM »
I have locked the original thread concerning this issue because things have gotten out of control.  I'm not here to defend what we do or tell you we're doing the best we can.  However, it's time to step back and look beyond our emotions.

My ascension to the role of Co-Commissioner is not uncommon throughout the vast array of ProFSL leagues--someone comes up with a idea for a league, writes up some rules, recruits some members, gets the league in motion and then leaves or asks someone else to take over because they have something else to do.  The problem with that scenario is that sometimes things get a little lax and new leaders find themselves overextended or overwhelmed and they begin to let things slide.

Please don't think for a minute I am casting stones at my predecessors--for I am not.  As a Co-Commissioner, I'll be the first to admit there are times when I could have done things differently.  During a Rules Committee discussion, joeshmoe reminded me of the importance of sticking to the issues and not letting it sink to a level of personal attacks.  Although that pronouncement was like a slap in the face, he was right and it has served as a reminder that I need to control my emotions.

Unfortunately, my lack of foresight has put my Co-Commissioner in a bad situation.  One of the goals we have set for ourselves as leaders is to be more consistent in our rules enforcement.  We have tweaked some rules for the betterment of the league, gotten rid of others, and tried to effectively utilize the ones we have in place.  Common sense should have told me that allowing a trade to be posted at 11:58 pm without confirmation from both teams was only going to cause trouble.  I ruled it to be invalid at first and then changed my mind and let it stand.  I was wrong.  I was wrong because I failed to really look at why it was being posted so late.  It had nothing to do with a server problem because both GMs readily admit to negotiating the trade earlier in the week and simply failing to post it.  Extending the trade deadline was really not pertinent in this case because both trading partners were guilty of something that hurts us all once in awhile--forgetfulness.

Is a lost trade really a tipping point?  Over the years I have had things overturned because they were against the rules--and yes, I felt like quitting--but I thought about it and came to grips with the fact that I am not above the rules and that their application was not something I should take so personal.  This, of course, applies to me and is intended to illustrate my perspective and is not a characterization of anyone in FGM.

I guess this invalidated trade is in fact the tipping point for the Rays GM.  Earlier in the discussion he declared that at the of the season he would be resigning from the league--with the qualifier that it would give us time to find a replacement.  Honoring that would clearly put the new GM at a disadvantage and it is not a request that can be deemed acceptable. 

I do not want the Rays GM, or anyone else, to quit.  I think things were said and feelings were hurt, but when things stop being fun, then I guess it's time to move on.  As a Co-Commissioner do I get any special joy out of telling people no or  getting called out? Do I like being portrayed as a dictator or as a rigid, archaic leader?  Does it make me feel good when I'm bashed for enforcing the rules?  Of course not?  But I know it comes with the territory and sometimes, as my colleague reminded me, I have to play Joe Friday and stick to the facts.  I stepped up as a leader of this league and do not apologize for it.  Whether anyone can see it or not, I'm continually looking for ways to improve things, and I believe in the value of rules and their uniform application.

I'm sorry for the grief that has evolved from this invalidated trade, but make no mistake about it, no one is being forced out.  A resignation in anger is still a resignation, and unfortunately, it's something I have to deal with.  I wish I didn't have to, but I do, and I will have to find a replacement GM for the Rays.

Please note:  Since the Rays GM has announced that his resignation is immediate, I am going to have to remove any players he put on waivers.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline Daniel

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :LAL:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
Re: The saga of an invalidated trade
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 05:15:39 AM »
I believe you are twisting my words here. I did not say I had forgotten it. I was simply waiting for confirmation.

I had already sent a final offer and expected a final decision from the Rays GM. He posted within the deadline. If this was yahoo for example, that would had meant my offer was immediately accepted and it would had been valid.

Also, I think we are missing the point here. Rules are made with a certain intention. The intention behind both GMs confirming a trade is that there are no fake trades made. There is no rule anywhere saying that a trade not accepted by both parties by the time the trade deadline arrives is invalid. Thus, the fact that the trade was posted before the deadline should mean it is a valid trade. What I see here is an executive interpretation of a rule, and if we are going to be so strict, we might as well go back to the previous point and highlight that there is no wording in the rules that indicate that a trade is not valid until both GMs accept it. In fact, the only mention in the rules regarding both GMs accepting is for the beginning of the 48hour period in which the trade committee should vote. 

Likewise, I think forcing the immediate resignation of the Rays GM when he is in the middle of a playoff race, when he had stated he was willing to continue managing the team until the end of the season is downright irresponsible, and I do not understand at all how allowing him to finish the season puts the new GM at a disadvantage. I rather think that throwing him into the middle of a playoff race with a complicated waiver system to learn puts him at a significantly larger disadvantage.

I do not like the repressive nature of this league lately. I believe we used to be a more closely knit community that understood the essence of the rules over strictness of textual wordplay. I remember not too long ago a significant change in the rules was applied without a proper time buffer zone to allow GMs to make necessary adjustments. I think there was also a recent problem with a veto of a phillies trade that seemed equally unfair at the time, as having a trade fall apart because of a trade committee's apathy is terrible for the league. The less the commissioners have to interfere, the better. Thus, I think processing a trade after 48 hours without every member of the TC voting is fine, but vetoing it is terrible. A time extension should had been granted. Same applies here, flexibility is not a sign of weakness. Rigidity is.

On the other hand, I understand that GM duties are a pain and really appreciate that you guys are running the league. So just want to clarify this is nothing personal, just a shout-out for a little bit more understanding. After all, this is just a game and should be treated as such. The idea is to have fun.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Franchise GM: Toronto Blue Jays

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:17:26 AM »
I am at a loss to understand what is so difficult to grasp here.  I was offered a deal that was not formed as, what I am accustomed to being, a concretely worded offer.  Turns out it was.  I had made several attempts throughout the final hours of the deadline to reach Daniel via PM to no avail.  I posted before the midnight deadline as an honest effort to OPERATE WITHIN THE POSTED RULES. 

The problem for me, and subsequent decision to leave, was cumulative.  You then have a follow up post by Rick that implies nefarious activity.  As Ernie can vouch for, I take my integrity very, very seriously and to have it questioned was the final straw.  To put in hours upon hours of work, trying to follow the letter of the law, have it not work out and THEN TO BE QUESTIONED ABOUT CHARACTER is not my idea of a "good time."  If Rick can not understand how intermittent server problems in the hours leading up to a trade deadline can be problematic, that is his problem.  I can, as can the other leagues, explain it to him, but I c an't understand it for him.  Rick has decided the best executive course of action is to dig is heels in the mud despite the rising tide.  Time shall tell if it was a good decision or not. 

League-mates: please make no mistake about my exit from FGM...it is in no way forced.  100000000% my decision and my decision alone.  Like I said from the beginning, my goal in illustrating all of this was to bring to light an oppressive "mood" that has set itself over the league.  Perhaps with a couple infusions of common sense and human decency (an attempt made by Ernie and greatly appreciated by those keeping score at home), this league can return to its status as a ProFSL great. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:26:27 AM »
I have absolutely no intentions of wasting another day arguing about this. I will say that, by definition, a trade only becomes a trade when both parties agree to it. That's why the TC needs confirmation before they vote.
We have a deadline same as MLB (albeit 8 hrs later) because that is a cornerstone of this league- To replicate, as closely as possible, MLB.  I don't think that the league office is going to take the word of one GM but instead must hear from both parties. And it must be done before 4:00P ET, period. I doubt very seriously that the Cubs can call in at 3:58:46 and say " Here's our deal we have with the Cards, they'll be calling you in about 15 hours"
If I had a serious trade offer a few days before the trade deadline I can't imagine myself forgetting it, losing it, waiting for confirmation, whatever the excuse is. I wouldn't stop until it got done. Sounds to me like there was a fair amount of miscommunication between the two parties in the days leading to the deadline. "Days" being pertinent as it has been admitted that the deal was  proposed a few days prior. One must assume that both parties had "days" to consummate the deal. That's not the league's or my fault. Beside, there are people here whose heads would have exploded had this been allowed to pass.
As to the matter of the Rays GM's immediate release as opposed to finishing the year - Precedent has been set; believe me, I know.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »
"And if I had a Porsche I'd paint it red..."  That's great that you would have had the time ability to "not stop until it was done."  My real life does not allow for that.  Neither does Daniel's.  Bottom line is that a deal by two long-time GMs was made in good-faith and posted before the deadline.  Semantics are what killed the deal.  Semantics are what's killing this league.  Ambiguous interpretations of procedural issues, not black and white rules.    Honestly, at this point it's all moot, I only passed VMart on waivers because I felt I owed it to Daniel.  It was the right thing to do.  I wanted to play out the season with the team I had spent countless hours building.  The ruling elite have determined my continued stewardship of the team would be a detriment to the Rays/FGM.  That is more than fine, I will cease any activity via fantrax effective immediately.  Maybe the new guy will have a better understanding of the rules...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Offline OUDAN

• Legend
    • :DAL:
    • :Oklahoma:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:00:53 AM »
How did I miss this  :beer:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People don't know what it means to be champions, Oklahoma invented it."
-Barry "The King" Switzer

"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
-Coach Taylor

I hated every moment of training but I said, "Don't quit, Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a Champion."
-Mohammed Ali

:win: 2014 FGM Champ
:win: 2015 Moneyball Champ
:win: 2015 Bush League Champ

Offline Daniel

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:36:01 AM »
I have absolutely no intentions of wasting another day arguing about this. I will say that, by definition, a trade only becomes a trade when both parties agree to it. That's why the TC needs confirmation before they vote.

Trade had been agreed to already via PM. Thus, confirmation is only about making sure the public offer is the same as the private one. If this is the way it is going to be then I suggest the rules are rewritten insuch a way that it is clear. Again, I repeat, the rules do not say this anywhere. You guys are making an executive decision regarding whether this was a trade or not and it has resulted in one GM leaving the league. When there is controversy, you might as well put it to a league vote or at least allow debate before making a final ruling.

Flexibility is a good thing.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 12:33:22 PM »
Trade had been agreed to already via PM. Thus, confirmation is only about making sure the public offer is the same as the private one. If this is the way it is going to be then I suggest the rules are rewritten insuch a way that it is clear. Again, I repeat, the rules do not say this anywhere. You guys are making an executive decision regarding whether this was a trade or not and it has resulted in one GM leaving the league. When there is controversy, you might as well put it to a league vote or at least allow debate before making a final ruling.

Flexibility is a good thing.

Daniel, that is the most ridiculous statement I've read during this entire fiasco. Agreeing to a trade via PM does not constitute a trade and you know it. You've made many trades in this league, you know the procedure and you know the deadline. All you had to do was take 2 minutes and post it. It's never been a problem before, why is it now?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Offline Daniel

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 02:06:55 AM »
So I am supposed now to post trades before they are accepted via PM??? That is the fastest way to cluttering the threads I have ever imagined.

I do not agree at all with your logic nor do I understand the intentions behind this lack of understanding of the situation. Why so obtuse?

It is clear to me that if a trade is posted on the boards it is because there is already a verbal agreement in place. If you really are suggesting that all trade offers should be posted instead of dealt with via OM, then this league has officially descended into madness
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Daniel

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 02:11:18 AM »
By the way, to make clear we are on the same page, I sent a final offer to Vols. Vols had not accepted it. I was waiting for his response. Apparently he tried to log when the server was down. Apparently, he did not have time to return until two mins before the deadline. At that time I am already asleep, thinking Vols simply did not intend to accept the offer. It is not that we had both agreed upon the deal and 'forgotten to post it'. It is just that we were at a point where me posting that trade would had been spam.  I think there is no reason to believe that a trade that is posted by one of the parts is not an already agreed upon trade. If it were, the other person could simply deny it and be done with that. But if the other person is confirming it, clearly the agreement had occurred beforehand and the deal already exists.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: I'm all about adding better prospects to my team in long run
    Yesterday at 12:17:05 AM
  • indiansnation: I am the biggest nerd when it comes to milb prospects their is like another 100 prospects in mlb i could add right know in heartbeat. My luttle time im off from work I spend hours looking at specs.
    Yesterday at 12:23:33 AM
  • indiansnation: If u look at everybody in mlb live prospect wise is killing it in minors. Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live and then start working on nfl live and and nhl live.
    Yesterday at 12:25:51 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: niners could still be interested in adding players. believ i have  abt 4 picks in 2025 that i can maybe use in trade depending on deal
    Yesterday at 12:30:57 AM
  • dbreer23: "Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live" - I'll believe that when...well, never!
    Yesterday at 01:02:58 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: lmaoo way to contradict brian
    Yesterday at 01:10:09 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed
    Yesterday at 01:10:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had room in my farm so i figured i fill it some
    Yesterday at 01:10:20 AM
  • Daddy: I dont mind activity. Especially with purpose. Brian needs hockey to start.
    Yesterday at 01:11:26 AM
  • Daddy: Its been so long since ive done a hockey league and ive fallen behind a bit in the sport because of that. This year hockey is back in my life for good.
    Yesterday at 01:12:42 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian we have a 60 player minor league limit. All of our guys on each team should be killing it in the minors. Sign guys you believe in. Then let them develop.
    Yesterday at 01:21:47 AM
  • Daddy: Everytime a guy is hitting .400 at Corpus Christi that doesn't make him Ted Williams.
    Yesterday at 01:26:13 AM
  • Daddy: None of these dudes are gonna help you avoid datazzwhupin im putting on you this week. Reap the whirlwind Brian. Reap it.
    Yesterday at 01:29:07 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: is this reference to guys i added?
    Yesterday at 01:29:55 AM
  • Daddy: You sir... No. Football is our battle ground. Im talking about Mr. 189 minor league nerd that TEXTED me he was gon whoop me this week.
    Yesterday at 01:34:21 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahahah ok
    Yesterday at 01:35:38 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy is going down by guardians in mlb live.
    Yesterday at 01:40:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey colts in nfl live looking to move qb russel Wilson looking for draft picks in return.
    Yesterday at 01:43:08 PM
  • Daddy: That is a great trade in MLB. Most trades are great but few are star worthy. Congratulations to both GMs!
    Yesterday at 04:19:40 PM
  • Daddy: Isaac Coffey will be a FA again in 72 hours.
    Yesterday at 04:21:55 PM
  • OUDAN: CCD guys lets deal!!!!
    Yesterday at 04:44:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: prolly will be yes daddy
    Yesterday at 04:55:56 PM
  • Daddy: As long as both owners are happy @BAB and they both seem very happy.
    Yesterday at 05:41:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: yeah i hear ya
    Yesterday at 06:02:44 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: has CCD been active
    Yesterday at 06:07:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: havent really checked that one much
    Yesterday at 06:07:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: been focused on LIVE
    Yesterday at 06:07:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night for trade talks in any league
    Yesterday at 07:19:35 PM
  • Brent: CCD is very active on the Discord Channel.
    Yesterday at 07:55:50 PM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    Yesterday at 07:57:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: evening
    Yesterday at 08:03:53 PM
  • Braves155: Will be on for a portion of the evening
    Yesterday at 08:10:39 PM
  • Braves155: Been starting to get into these older games that originally ran off DOSBOX for those who know what I'm talking about. The idea is you build your team with a salary of XXX and then every 2-3 seasons you have decisions to make. Field a 26 man roster, control your own pitching rotation, pen, lineup & bench like the true MLB. Draft every season where there's a lot of turnover. Interesting for sure.
    Yesterday at 08:15:28 PM
  • Braves155: PM Jwalk (Jets)
    Yesterday at 08:30:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: idsjayhawk replied
    Yesterday at 08:34:31 PM
  • Braves155: PM Professor Dan
    Yesterday at 09:19:27 PM
  • Daddy: Let that Man go on vacation. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 09:27:13 PM
  • Daddy: He had earned this getaway. His computer has earned it.
    Yesterday at 09:28:07 PM
  • Braves155: NEVER!!
    Yesterday at 09:28:29 PM
  • Braves155: You mean 'getaway' from 100 prospect posts/week from our Brian?
    Yesterday at 09:29:17 PM
  • Braves155: Any LIVE deal talks? Hmu
    Yesterday at 09:38:00 PM
  • Daddy: He ain't the only one brotha :)
    Yesterday at 09:40:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: dbreer deserves at least a hanfulof beers and margs
    Yesterday at 09:45:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: we put him through the ringer w the activity
    Yesterday at 09:45:54 PM
  • Rhino7: CCD has had a lot of trades lately
    Yesterday at 09:54:49 PM
  • Daddy: That's awesome!
    Yesterday at 10:06:13 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I've returned to fgm
    Today at 01:44:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Took over the team available
    Today at 01:44:26 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations @BAB. FGM is well managed.
    Today at 02:28:01 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yes I'm aware I had too much going on when I left after 2022 season. I'm back now for my second stint
    Today at 02:50:11 AM