Author Topic: Potential Minor Roster Increase  (Read 812 times)

Offline Ric_2227

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :TOR-NHL:
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Minor Roster Increase
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 12:34:02 PM »
I think we should stick with 30. You have to evaluate the players in the minor and drop some of them or trade your draft picks to ensure you don't go over the limit.
It will also keep up the value of draft picks and should increase the quality of the choices we are face with in the draft.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline jmtrops

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :NE:
    • :TBL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 03:15:42 PM »
I think we should stick with 30. You have to evaluate the players in the minor and drop some of them or trade your draft picks to ensure you don't go over the limit.
It will also keep up the value of draft picks and should increase the quality of the choices we are face with in the draft.
for me what will happen when the teams are about at the minor limit the value for 1st and 2nd rnd pix goes up and the later pix become almost worthless because those are the pix that need time to develop and no one will have the space to let them do that. yes 30 seems like it should be enough but its not. In backyard we have a 30 player minors and a 5 round draft and its not really enough if you want to let your pix have the time to develope and thats with 5 rounds. we have 7 and I know with the 30 minor guys I have I dont see myself cutting any of them to draft 7 guys next year.

anyways I think it would be a good change from the other leagues if we can have well developed minor leagues. since we have RFA here that the other leagues dont have so I dont think restricting minor leagues and get a few extra FA because of it is worth it
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Vik

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :LaSalle:
    • :TOR-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 04:04:19 PM »
Nice to have a healthy discussion here. Discussion is more important than poll for sure, I just figured getting a poll initially helps get a quick sense of where everyone stands but those are not firm options especially with feedback so far. For now I want to say no decision will be imminent either way, as I see both sides and taking into account what is best for league health. Unlike playoff change, which I think I am more set on with my last post, here we can take more time for sure. Maybe in the coming weeks right around when season starts I can a new poll with additional options brought up and ultimately decide among those. Ultimately no impact until next offseason at the earliest anyway.

I do realize not everyone might be happy with decision 1 way or another and that is totally fair and expected. Since I knew some would oppose increase in general, was thinking maybe only doing so in 2 years would be a fair compromise as it would allow for more time to adjust and less of a immediate impact on picks (though I think making picks more valuable can't hurt). I will say, I do also like the 7 spot increase starting next year and going from there on a year to year bases.

Backyard is a good example brought up to show differences because there it is very difficult to actually improve your minors with bidding not allowed on guys with zero NHL experience. Specs can only be obtained through draft or bid on eventually when they make their NHL debut and as such less spots makes a lot more sense. If you trade picks you are stuck with a weak minors for most part in BY. With our setup not only do we have full 7 rounds of picks but the fact we can then also bid RC via FA opens up many ways to build minors, so my thinking was no harm in giving more wiggle room to wait on some guys you would otherwise be forced to drop. Even with a increase of say 5-10 spots there will still be plenty of tough decision to be made. Also you really never know who will actually pan out but having a little more room to wait on some guys who are 2-3+ years away and question marks in terms of what they become doesn't hurt. I am sure most of us see upside and like potential in all our minors which is why we own who we own, but how many will become true stars is anyone's guess in in a few years we will all have guys we held for a while that will never even make it up. My thinking is why not allow for a few more spots for long shots but within reason (I agree a huge increase especially immediately is also not way to go).
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted like:
jmtrops,
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 04:10:35 PM »
Good stuff.  Glad to hear the poll is not binding.  If a majority of the league agrees with a change then we should implement that change.  But I do prefer to see topics like this hashed out like we are now - so that the voters understand all the intricacies, positives and negatives to both paths, before they cast their vote.  In lieu of casting a kneejerk vote without really considering the full extent of the change. 

funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted like:
jmtrops,Vik,
No reactions

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 11:17:23 PM »
I don't think the value of our draft picks is ever going to depreciate if the minors stay at 30.  Every player in the NHL draft will be in our draft each year.  If there are good players in that there will be value for our picks.  Especially with half the NHL teams being represented here.  Our 7 rounds is just 3.5 of the NHL draft.

I echo Rob's sentiment that a smaller minor roster lets some guys slip through the cracks so to speak.  Maybe they aren't drafted, or maybe they are cut from one of our teams and then go on to have a breakout year.  It also reduces the hoarding and makes teams actual evaluate their players every year. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline Vik

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :LaSalle:
    • :TOR-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 04:09:45 PM »
Realize this is still somewhat open topic for discussion.  At this point in time I am thinking we should stay at 30 and if anything implement an increase starting next year.

However, also open to further off season discussion and can easily get a new poll and/or proposal if there is enough support via feedback to make any changes this off season (for this specifically, but also always willing to listen to resonable rules changes in general)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    May 07, 2024, 01:50:45 PM
  • indiansnation: Lets talk trade who is up for it any league
    May 07, 2024, 03:09:50 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night for any talks
    May 07, 2024, 05:55:10 PM
  • Daddy: Me too
    May 07, 2024, 07:11:43 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Same
    May 07, 2024, 10:16:04 PM
  • Brent: Same.  I'm knocking out some homework and jumping over here every now and then.
    May 07, 2024, 11:30:52 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    Yesterday at 01:07:48 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Good morning. Thee Pittsburgh Steelers are open for negotiations
    Yesterday at 10:12:07 AM
  • Daddy: It is always a good day to trade or kick ass or both.
    Yesterday at 01:43:53 PM
  • Daddy: Currently sitting in waffle house in the company of a beautiful woman in a southern state. Planning domination.
    Yesterday at 02:02:43 PM
  • Daddy: How u livin?
    Yesterday at 02:02:55 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Pretty good. At home working and listening to offers.
    Yesterday at 02:32:22 PM
  • indiansnation: Who wants to talk trade with me any  league doesnt matter
    Yesterday at 04:47:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Im looking to aquire draft capital in nfl live. Know that ny team is pretty much set in mlb live know its time for nfl live
    Yesterday at 04:48:25 PM
  • indiansnation: Its wednesday 3pm and im still going to kick toronto but this week
    Yesterday at 04:49:26 PM
  • Daddy: We are about to open NHL & NCAA
    Yesterday at 04:57:24 PM
  • Daddy: Stymie thine lips on beating Toronto. You aint done that in years. Lastly, im going to take the lowly Flyers and destroy you with them. You and 31 others but mostly you.
    Yesterday at 05:01:08 PM
  • indiansnation: What does daddy and a girl have in common?
    Yesterday at 05:12:38 PM
  • indiansnation: He likes to talk to much and is never right lol
    Yesterday at 05:13:43 PM
  • Daddy: We dont like you
    Yesterday at 05:13:55 PM
  • Daddy: See. You gonna get us boycotted. You Dinosaur.
    Yesterday at 05:15:13 PM
  • indiansnation: Hell daddy u dont even like yourself.
    Yesterday at 05:15:16 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: bayarea pm
    Yesterday at 05:16:22 PM
  • indiansnation: Ldsjayhawks u gotta get back to me about our trade talk
    Yesterday at 05:37:54 PM
  • Braves155: Oh Crap, someone say NFL LIVE?
    Yesterday at 06:39:33 PM
  • Daddy: I hope you have great success with Caleb Williams @Braves. Just remember to put assets all around him. Build a solid 24. Then build up depth.
    Yesterday at 08:01:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 still waiting to hear back from u about nfl live
    Yesterday at 10:25:33 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in nfl live
    Yesterday at 10:40:43 PM
  • Daddy: @Brian i hate everyone equally.
    Yesterday at 10:49:33 PM
  • STLBlues91: Sorry was eating dinner going to send replies out to everyone now
    Yesterday at 10:58:13 PM
  • Daddy: Funny.. NFL LIVE has the longest offseason and the most transactions.
    Yesterday at 11:02:40 PM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE is by far the hottest league right now though.
    Yesterday at 11:03:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Colts in nfl live make their first big trade in nfl live
    Yesterday at 11:56:34 PM
  • Daddy: Brian why do you keep dropping 15 prospects at a time in baseball? Are you not signing guys you believe in?
    Today at 12:09:23 AM
  • indiansnation: I'm all about adding better prospects to my team in long run
    Today at 12:17:05 AM
  • indiansnation: I am the biggest nerd when it comes to milb prospects their is like another 100 prospects in mlb i could add right know in heartbeat. My luttle time im off from work I spend hours looking at specs.
    Today at 12:23:33 AM
  • indiansnation: If u look at everybody in mlb live prospect wise is killing it in minors. Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live and then start working on nfl live and and nhl live.
    Today at 12:25:51 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: niners could still be interested in adding players. believ i have  abt 4 picks in 2025 that i can maybe use in trade depending on deal
    Today at 12:30:57 AM
  • dbreer23: "Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live" - I'll believe that when...well, never!
    Today at 01:02:58 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: lmaoo way to contradict brian
    Today at 01:10:09 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed
    Today at 01:10:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had room in my farm so i figured i fill it some
    Today at 01:10:20 AM
  • Daddy: I dont mind activity. Especially with purpose. Brian needs hockey to start.
    Today at 01:11:26 AM
  • Daddy: Its been so long since ive done a hockey league and ive fallen behind a bit in the sport because of that. This year hockey is back in my life for good.
    Today at 01:12:42 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian we have a 60 player minor league limit. All of our guys on each team should be killing it in the minors. Sign guys you believe in. Then let them develop.
    Today at 01:21:47 AM
  • Daddy: Everytime a guy is hitting .400 at Corpus Christi that doesn't make him Ted Williams.
    Today at 01:26:13 AM
  • Daddy: None of these dudes are gonna help you avoid datazzwhupin im putting on you this week. Reap the whirlwind Brian. Reap it.
    Today at 01:29:07 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: is this reference to guys i added?
    Today at 01:29:55 AM
  • Daddy: You sir... No. Football is our battle ground. Im talking about Mr. 189 minor league nerd that TEXTED me he was gon whoop me this week.
    Today at 01:34:21 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahahah ok
    Today at 01:35:38 AM