Poll

Are you ok with proposed change?

Yes
No (feel free to offer other suggestions)

Author Topic: 2020-2021 Playoff Adjustment  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Vik

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :TOR-NHL:
    • :LaSalle:
    • :TOR-MLS:
    • View Profile
2020-2021 Playoff Adjustment
« on: January 04, 2021, 07:31:31 PM »
Based on everything here is what we are going with this year (left original post striked through)

Confirmed Playoff Format

Regular season consists of 13 weeks

8 out of 16 teams will make the playoffs:
- The top-2 seeds in each conference
- 4 Wild-Card spots, which are the 4 next best teams regardless of conference
- No byes

The Playoffs last a total of 3 weeks (Only 1 week finals)

Round 1: WildCard Round (Scoring period 14  - April 12th to April 18th)
Higher overall 1 seed between Sedin/Gilmour vs WC4
Lower overall 1 seed between Sedin/Gilmour vs WC3
Higher overall 2 seed between Sedin/Gilmour vs WC2
Lower overall 2 seed between Sedin/Gilmour vs WC1

Round 2: Semi Finals - Highest seeds play lowest seeds in brackets (Scoring period 15  - April 19th to April 25th)
Example:
1st Sedin vs. 2nd Sedin
1st Gilmour vs. 2nd Gilmour

Round 3: Finals (1 Week Match-up) (Scoring period 16  - April 26th to May 8th)
ie. 1st Sedin vs 1st Gilmour

We have 16 weeks and only 56 games of regular season hockey this year which is not too bad all things considered, however, definitely requires us to adjust playoffs.

Looking into it, I think the 1st thing that needs to be changed is finals matchup being 1 week instead of 2. Having 2 week finals is nice but just doesn't make enough sense with shortened season.

After this, I was originally looking into proposing 2 different options for vote. What I considered was 1 option where we cut back teams making playoffs to 8 and/or a 3 instead of 4 week playoff round to increase regular season value. However, ultimately did not think of anything I like (every scenario looked bad mostly left with odd teams in a certain round and giving any single team 2 rounds of bye doesn't make sense).

As such, for now keeping it a very simple change as below with just cutting back finals. If no major objections can stick with it. Although, I am certainly open to feedback and other suggestions if anyone can come up with a better scenario. I do think 56 games there is a strong case to be made to go 8 teams making playoffs if logistics work. Also for now Fantrax is not reflecting any playoffs so will just wait to see what the verdict is and update accordingly. We do have a bit of time to discuss and brainstorm.

Tentative proposed playoff change for this year only

Regular season consists of 12 weeks

10 out of 16 teams will make the playoffs:
- The top-3 seeds in each conference
- 4 Wild-Card spots, which are the 4 next best teams regardless of conference
- The top-3 seeds in each Conference will be rewarded with a 1st Round BYE

The Playoffs last a total of 4 weeks (Only 1 week finals)

Round 1 Matchups - WildCard Round (Scoring period 13 - April 5th to April 11th)
1st, 2nd, 3rd Sedin Conference - Bye  /  1st, 2nd, 3rd Gilmour Conference - Bye
WC 1 vs WC 4
WC 2 vs WC 3

Round 2: Highest seeds play lowest seeds in brackets (Scoring period 14  - April 12th to April 18th)
Example:
1st Sedin vs. WC 2  /  1st Gilmour vs. WC 1
2nd Sedin vs. 3rd Sedin  /  2nd Gilmour vs. 3rd Gilmour

Round 3: Conference Finals (Scoring period 15  - April 19th to April 25th)
Example:
1st Sedin vs. 2nd Sedin  /  1st Gilmour vs. 2nd Gilmour

Round 4: Finals (1 Week Match-up) (Scoring period 16  - April 26th to May 8th)
ie. 1st Sedin vs 1st Gilmour
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 04:52:54 PM by Vik »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Shannonlwalker2

• All-Star
    • :MIA-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :ANA:
    • :Florida:
    • :LAD:
    • View Profile
Re: 2020-2021 Playoff Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »
Honestly, I think anything greater than 8 teams (50% of the league) in the Playoffs is excessive.   The post season should be a reward and not a participation trophy situation.    The more playoff teams we have the more watered-down/ devalued the regular season becomes.    JMO   
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Vik

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 08:37:02 PM »
Honestly, I think anything greater than 8 teams (50% of the league) in the Playoffs is excessive.   The post season should be a reward and not a participation trophy situation.    The more playoff teams we have the more watered-down/ devalued the regular season becomes.    JMO

It was previously set up as 10, but I do see the point. For this year in particular 8 would make more sense for sure. It's the specific breakdown that is a little tricky, but if there is enough others in support I'm sure there is something we can come up with.

I do have a drastic idea with 7 teams making it and only top overall seed getting bye 1st round. Thought maybe a bit too drastic to go 10 to 7, but thinking some more might be good way to go at least this year and reavaulate in full season. On mobile now but breakdown could work so it's 3 playoff round and we do get the extra regular season game in.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline jmtrops

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :NE:
    • :TBL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 08:44:13 PM »
It was previously set up as 10, but I do see the point. For this year in particular 8 would make more sense for sure. It's the specific breakdown that is a little tricky, but if there is enough others in support I'm sure there is something we can come up with.

I do have a drastic idea with 7 teams making it and only top overall seed getting bye 1st round. Thought maybe a bit too drastic to go 10 to 7, but thinking some more might be good way to go at least this year and reavaulate in full season. On mobile now but breakdown could work so it's 3 playoff round and we do get the extra regular season game in.
I think with 8 teams and 3 weeks for the playoffs is good. I would also not mind top 4 teams and 2 week playoffs
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Vik

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 08:53:21 PM »
I think with 8 teams and 3 weeks for the playoffs is good. I would also not mind top 4 teams and 2 week playoffs

Do you mind posting specific breakdown for 8 if you have 1 in mind. Nothing really made sense to me but maybe I missed something. What I had always resulted in 1 team getting 2 weeks of bye unless we do no 1st round byes.

Even in a shortened season 4 is a huge change not huge on this.

Perhaps my idea of 7 and 3 week might be way to go. I can post breakdown for this verision later when jump back on comp.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :MIN-NHL:
    • :NorthDakotaState:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 10:24:39 PM »
The simplest things seems to be just do an 8 team playoff with no byes. Top 3 from each conference make the playoffs plus the next best two teams (regardless of division) as wildcards. This limits the number of weeks for the playoffs (3 total) which is important in a shortened season. In a shortened season I don't see a need for the top team to get a buy. Also with a shortened season you have a higher likely hood of 3 teams tying for the top regular season record.
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted like:
jmtrops,
No reactions

Offline Vik

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 01:35:05 AM »
The simplest things seems to be just do an 8 team playoff with no byes. Top 3 from each conference make the playoffs plus the next best two teams (regardless of division) as wildcards. This limits the number of weeks for the playoffs (3 total) which is important in a shortened season. In a shortened season I don't see a need for the top team to get a buy. Also with a shortened season you have a higher likely hood of 3 teams tying for the top regular season record.

Good points. I was trying to think of a scenario with byes but really we can easily go without it given the circumstances.

8 and no bye is definitely simple and straight forward, plus I also like 3 vs 4 week playoffs.

This is what I'd actually lean toward right now.
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted like:
jmtrops,
No reactions

Offline jlapo11

• MVP
    • :STL-NHL:
    • :MON-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 09:44:12 AM »

Good points. I was trying to think of a scenario with byes but really we can easily go without it given the circumstances.

8 and no bye is definitely simple and straight forward, plus I also like 3 vs 4 week playoffs.

This is what I'd actually lean toward right now.

Support this option
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Online Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 10:06:58 AM »

:iatp:

Also, for future years, we should keep the playoffs to 8 teams.  If there's a way to work in a 2 week final (not this year) - I always felt this is most fair, especially with playoff teams benching players in the final regular season weeks.  Good to have a larger sample size for our final.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Dizzy

• Rookie
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 11:57:37 AM »
Kings are ok whatever is chose....we will not be in playoff this year so does not matter to us !!!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: i hope phillies choke this lead
    Yesterday at 07:34:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Ask and I shall receive way to go giants
    Yesterday at 07:47:52 PM
  • Daddy: Playing Cleveland this week... I will catch SF later.
    Yesterday at 08:13:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: srry daddy as a giants fan we needed to win this game vs yall
    Yesterday at 08:24:12 PM
  • Daddy: Ditto LIVE. Youre in a remarkable battle. Revenge to me comes in whatever way i can get it. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 08:29:05 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey is coming. A new battlefield.
    Yesterday at 08:30:53 PM
  • Daddy: Who wants my picks? :rofl:
    Yesterday at 08:31:23 PM
  • indiansnation: I want your hockey picks
    Yesterday at 08:46:56 PM
  • Daddy: I would only trade them to LA and LA has no current profsl owner.
    Yesterday at 08:48:11 PM
  • Daddy: Some outside talent dont like the site by looks alone and we are very manual. Its an acquired taste.
    Yesterday at 08:50:10 PM
  • indiansnation: U suck lol
    Yesterday at 08:50:39 PM
  • Daddy: On site hockey talent are "get off my lawn" types that aren't interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. And Brian we can talk but i dont want Grandpa Sid.
    Yesterday at 08:52:29 PM
  • Daddy: Edmonton could get my picks
    Yesterday at 08:53:05 PM
  • Daddy: He talking McDavid type talk. Me like Connor.
    Yesterday at 08:53:34 PM
  • Daddy: All those junior hockey dudes we looked up and put on yalls rosters. I dont know them dudes. I might cut half them jokers.
    Yesterday at 08:56:49 PM
  • Daddy: Ive learned more about global hockey in the last 3 months than i knew my entire life. My brains are scrambled. STLBlues91- brains are scrambled. Fried man.
    Yesterday at 08:58:38 PM
  • Daddy: On to Basketball :)
    Yesterday at 08:59:13 PM
  • Daddy: You have an NHL team. An AHL team. And a 50 player Junior league development squad. In a legit 30 Category dynasty hockey contract league.
    Yesterday at 09:02:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve never seen anything like that. Nobody has ever seen anything like that. Not in Dynasty hockey. You're welcome. ;)
    Yesterday at 09:03:16 PM
  • Daddy: Franchise? That's what a Franchise looks like.
    Yesterday at 09:07:12 PM
  • STLBlues91: Working on the matching now between spreadsheet/fantrax. My head hurts but got about 12 of them fully done and believe they are 100% good to go. Taking a dinner break and back to plugging in info
    Yesterday at 09:15:38 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be back in 20 minutes all pms have been answered
    Yesterday at 09:18:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I feel bad for stlblues91 this guy is busting his but getting everything ready for NFL live
    Yesterday at 11:53:15 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching Dallas stars comeback and beat edm
    Yesterday at 11:54:24 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: im happy to see teh stars doing that for my boi pavs
    Today at 12:03:46 AM
  • indiansnation: That had to be one of the best hockey playoff games I seen this yr
    Today at 12:32:34 AM
  • indiansnation: Anybody want to talk trade
    Today at 12:33:26 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: stars are a tough team
    Today at 12:33:29 AM
  • indiansnation: It was just amazing how Edmonton was leading and then all of a sudden 2 period starts and Dallas just took over after that and just kicked Edmonton ass
    Today at 12:35:55 AM
  • Daddy: Flyers have the 12th overall pick & whatever Florida finishes with.
    Today at 01:09:39 AM
  • Daddy: We are open for business.
    Today at 01:10:32 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: sharks could be interested in those picks
    Today at 01:16:53 AM
  • STLBlues91: STL will be open for business as well
    Today at 01:23:26 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: @Daddy are you intending to trade all of your picks in NHL as well or different strategy there?
    Today at 11:25:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Penguins our interested in tradeing
    Today at 01:21:24 PM
  • Daddy: @Cris ive got 3 first rounders including 2025. Ive got 11 draft picks for the first time in years.
    Today at 01:39:03 PM
  • Daddy: Them babies burning a hole in my pocket. :)
    Today at 01:39:21 PM
  • Daddy: Its not that i dont like them but i want to add specific things and idk how the draft will shake out, also there are always teams wanting to invest heavy.
    Today at 01:40:27 PM
  • Daddy: We usually match in what our needs are. Then i see those teams stack like twenty picks and make magic. While i make my own magic.
    Today at 01:41:29 PM
  • Daddy: Connor McDavid deserves a haul. If Edmonton is moving him. Philly is armed to the teeth.
    Today at 01:42:13 PM
  • Daddy: Edmonton would also be armed to the teeth. Our draft is just a few days after the real one. We aint got time to ho hum. Its bout to be go time.
    Today at 01:44:09 PM
  • Daddy: You interested in The Flyers draft picks. I need names. I need pms. By 6/2 my picks will belong to some very fortunate franchise.
    Today at 01:47:39 PM
  • Daddy: Some of you guys have known me for fourteen years or more. I am a very reliable source for draft picks no matter the sport.
    Today at 01:55:39 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: what exactly are u looking for
    Today at 01:59:10 PM
  • Daddy: Depends on the team. Each one has something different. G, C, D, Crap we need wingers, i prefer guys that play both LW/RW. Im looking to improve. Thats always what im looking for. But to do so in a way that my partner also improves.
    Today at 02:02:32 PM
  • Daddy: You can build a dominant team without dominating every trade or even any trade. Doesn't matter what you give up if you get what you see as a key piece.
    Today at 02:03:49 PM
  • Daddy: Edmonton and LA are the leaders for my picks. LA unfortunately has no GM and by the time one sacs up im going to probably have dealt.
    Today at 02:05:53 PM
  • Daddy: You know we speak like this is boxing. Like there is a physical contest and you here me joking about foots etc. but we including myself are couch jockeys.
    Today at 02:08:39 PM
  • Daddy: Smack talk comes with sports. Ask about Kobe. Ask about Jordan. Ask about most of the greats. We are boxing gents. Mental boxing. From our phones and computers.
    Today at 02:09:52 PM
  • Daddy: I dont mean to bruise anyone's vagina. I cant help myself. Im a habitual vagina bruiser. Sincerely.
    Today at 02:11:08 PM