Author Topic: Ranking The Divisions  (Read 6499 times)

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking The Divisions
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 04:56:34 PM »
Dan touched on something in describing the value of players in the Gallardo deal that I want to run by you guys. 

Should we continue to allow free agent rights to be owned by their teams AFTER the season is over?  For example, in real life the Rangers lost the rights to Cliff Lee the second that the World Series ended.  In our league, we control their rights until December 15th.  Colby explained to me that this works like a "sign and trade", but those kind of deals only happen in basketball and never in baseball.  I'm not crazy the current rule, because it allows teams to play out the season with their free agents and never have to make the painful real life choice of whether or not to trade them for something before the trade deadline.

I disagree with this.  We do have to make a choice to trade them before the deadline or not.  Everyone knows that a team with a pending free agent is not in a good negotiating position when they are in a trade or RFA situation, therefore value offered is lower (as seen in this trade and documented by several).  If the Brewers had traded Gallardo at the deadline, the value would have been greater than the return that he got now.  Especially from a contender. 

It is a choice of higher value before the deadline or trading from a bad negotitating position.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:58:30 PM by MillerTime »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »
You might be right that the value of an impending FA goes down dramatically after the season, but that does not negate the fact that the Rangers would *never* do a "sign and trade" with Cliff Lee to the Yankees in the manner that Gallardo was traded from the Brewers to the Indians.  If we think that this way is more fun and we're willing to look past realism, so be it, but I wanted everyone to think about it.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kungfuwig

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NY:
    • :CLG:
    • :ArizonaState:
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 07:59:09 PM »
I like this post a lot, and I do hope to compete in 2012.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"This is your life and its ending one minute at a time"

Canada8999

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
With all the discussion, I'll chime in on why I made this deal.  Gallardo is a very good SP, but I have a personal objection to giving out big-money / long-term contracts to any pitchers but the best of the best (see Haren, Lee).  He's close, but given my other options to re-sign he wasn't going to make the cut.

Personally I have been very high on LaPorta for a long time, and ~500 MLB at bats with a solid BB/K, decent ISO and terrible BABIP are not enough to change my mind - I still expect him to be an impact bat at CI.  Cabrera is still very young (24) and was a top 20 MI in 2009 - any uptick in his power output and he is a very solid starter at MI.

As some have pointed out, the range of opinions on this trade is an indicator that our league has not really yet defined how the market should value expiring contracts.  The seller has the option to RFA big name expiring's and receive up to 2 first round picks (the only way to add picks), which can be stashed on the EDR (saving roster and cap space) - this is in addition to the option of re-signing the player (in which case the buyer has no opportunity to acquire the player).  The buyer gets the player at a known cost and does not need to win an FA bidding war, does not need to give up the compensation picks, and can go into FA with more certainty (not to be underestimated) - this is in addition to preventing the seller from re-signing or trading the player to another team.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 09:12:04 PM »
Here is how I evaluate this deal:

Suppose CLE is willing to spend 15M on Gallardo during FA bidding. Then, in exchange for the 3M and a first round pick, he gave up the rights to Laporta and Cabrera. If you think Laporta, Cabrera is worth 3M + 1st rounder, then CLE came out ahead.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 08:37:54 AM »
I do have to agree with Roy to a certain extent on the point that he made. Granted MLB doesn't have RFA's, but I think in this league it is needed and a great addition. I think what Roy is getting at, and what I agree with, is making the time between the end of the season and the amount of time we can hold onto our pending FAs less. In MLB, teams have a window of opportunity where they can negotiate with their pending FAs, before they are made available to other teams to bid on. I think a case can be made to shorten what we currently have in place to more resemble MLB. I also think any further discussion involving this should be moved to its own post.

And as far as the trade goes, I think I have chimed in on this. Ben was in a tough spot and he got a very good return for someone he could have lost completely. LaPorta does have upside, as does Cabrera. Although I will say this, the one really good season that Cabrera had his BABIP was .360. The question was posed from Chad if this makes him the favorite in the Central. If there is a lesson we can learn from the FGM Giants last year, is that in this league, it is difficult to win when a majority of your points come from pitching. Good starters and great starters have a difference of about 20(50-70) points a week. Generally that difference will not win you a week. Where as a really good power hitter, what LaPorta's pedigree was/is, can score a lot more than that. So, I don't think this was a slam dunk for Cleveland as some have pointed out, but if LaPorta doesn't pan out, then Ben is getting the short end of the deal, and Chad made a very good trade. I just don't think any of us can answer that until a few months into the season. Funny that Colby brought up the CC trade, because this is very similar to what was said when that deal happened, that the success of the trade relies on LaPorta's ability to become a middle of the order bat.

As I said earlier, I still think the Twins come out on top at this juncture because of the known production that he will get, where as two of the big bats on Cleveland are question marks for various reasons. The AL Central is very close, the top 3 teams are but an elevator fart away from each other. Going into free agency, and the rest of the trading season, it will be interesting to see how these teams fill their needs. For the most part, every division is close right now, because we don't have fully formed teams, and guys with expired contracts are still sitting on rosters waiting to be resigned, dealt, or RFA'd. So those player's fate is still TBD. As we move along we will get a clearer picture of what each team's strengths and weaknesses are.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
I would still rank the Brewers 1st in the NL Central with a lineup that has Pujols, Braun, and Utley (let alone the other guys).  Their rotation has Haren, Sanchez, and Masterson.  They have RFA tags on Danks and Wigginton and $9.5m in cap space to either sign them or some other guys.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

bravesfan4

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
I will put Milwaukee in the mix. I think there the 3rd best team in the division. However I now say the Phils will win the division and the Braves will fall short. Phils become clear front-runners in the East.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 12:11:34 PM »
I will put Milwaukee in the mix. I think there the 3rd best team in the division. However I now say the Phils will win the division and the Braves will fall short. Phils become clear front-runners in the East.

Brewers are in the Central.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Dan Wood

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
Corey was just adding to what he had said earlier about the NL east. It  was two statements in one post
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Sports Fan dynasty legend.
    April 15, 2024, 06:05:16 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I'm in 10
    April 15, 2024, 07:06:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: And active in all
    April 15, 2024, 07:06:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    April 15, 2024, 07:22:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    April 15, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day
    April 15, 2024, 07:27:08 PM
  • Daddy: Youre getting the full experience in that many leagues. There is always something to do.
    April 15, 2024, 07:33:19 PM
  • Daddy: Each league is different so makes you approach things differently.
    April 15, 2024, 07:33:43 PM
  • Jon: i have openings in SEC football 1st year league
    April 15, 2024, 07:54:15 PM
  • Jon: I am pretty sure that I am going to do away with the 64 team league as I can't justify paying the fee that Fantrax wants
    April 15, 2024, 07:54:44 PM
  • Jon: [link]
    April 15, 2024, 07:56:47 PM
  • Daddy: I pay about $500 in fantrax fees. I feel ya Jon.
    April 15, 2024, 08:09:00 PM
  • Daddy: Probably more if i added it all up. All that work + all that money = why very few do it. #Respect
    April 15, 2024, 08:11:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm
    April 15, 2024, 09:52:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w one last pm
    April 16, 2024, 01:01:12 AM
  • indiansnation: Trade posted jim w
    April 16, 2024, 01:02:15 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Two late night deals
    April 16, 2024, 01:18:11 AM
  • Brent: Good morning guys.  Just a heads up, I am cutting back on leagues by a lot.  I'll message the commissioners which ones, but between work, school, fishing and family the thing that is going to get cut is fantasy sports.
    April 16, 2024, 07:30:32 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL WELCOMES OUR NEWEST OWNER BRUISER :judge: BRUISER HAS COMPLETED PURCHASE OF THE ARIZONA/UTHA COYOTES FRANCHISE :PHO2: [link] :PHO2:
    April 16, 2024, 11:37:48 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for deals
    April 16, 2024, 08:13:31 PM
  • indiansnation: Updated trade block in fgm
    April 17, 2024, 12:37:39 AM
  • indiansnation: Indians in mlb live looking to trade
    April 17, 2024, 01:48:22 AM
  • jschwab: Leagues?? I'm in 14 MLB, 2 NHL, 1 NFL and 2 NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 12:33:58 PM
  • jschwab: It's nice being retired with a wife that likes me to stay out of her hair.
    April 17, 2024, 12:34:21 PM
  • jschwab: Oh yeah, and now 1 big honkin' NCAA
    April 17, 2024, 12:34:50 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Haha nice jschwab
    April 17, 2024, 12:45:03 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Indians pm
    April 17, 2024, 01:42:37 PM
  • Daddy: @John :rofl: respect
    April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 PM
  • Daddy: Fantasy sports IS MY getaway. Im a Dad, i work, i deal in real world Crap all day. I travel a lot across the country. My Son and others on site know the life. :rofl:
    April 17, 2024, 02:59:59 PM
  • Daddy: I imagine running a league is equivalent to running 10-32 teams by itself. I can do that from the Crapter.
    April 17, 2024, 03:01:15 PM
  • Daddy: And still be a dad, go on trips, get much booty :) . And im an old fart.
    April 17, 2024, 03:02:42 PM
  • Daddy: oh s?, el pap? hace tiempo para mi bot?n.
    April 17, 2024, 03:05:58 PM
  • dbreer23: Mucho respecto!
    April 17, 2024, 03:31:00 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for any deals
    April 17, 2024, 06:58:06 PM
  • Daddy: Michael Porter Jr.'s brother Jontay.... Banned for life by NBA for gambling.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:24 PM
  • Daddy: He bet on his own performance (under) and his team to lose games.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: good riddance
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:11 PM
  • dbreer23: and I'm not even a NBA fan
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:20 PM
  • Daddy: Gambling is as bad an addiction as there is.  This guy comes from money, has a brother thats uber rich, and he himself was in the NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 11:00:36 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS looking very tough for one team :ANA: 155.05 v 236.25 :NYR: with only today's games left to plan. :judge: [link]
    Yesterday at 10:44:33 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any deals
    Yesterday at 06:30:53 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here early for talks.
    Today at 09:14:02 AM
  • Rob: SlackJack and his Arizona Coyotes are DNHL Champs for the 2nd year in a row.  Congrats!!  [link]
    Today at 09:37:43 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Congrats to the 2024 FNHL NYR on winning it all!
    Today at 02:23:56 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco: FNHL FINALS OFFICIAL SCORE :ANA: ANH 160.15 v 247.3 :NYR: NYR
    Today at 02:25:02 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Well done, FNHL's CaliHkyGuy [link] :winner:
    Today at 02:37:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talsk'
    Today at 04:11:46 PM
  • STLBlues91: talks**
    Today at 04:11:51 PM
  • Daddy: Ever since the Academy Awards a couple years back, ive been working on my slap technique.
    Today at 10:21:13 PM
  • Daddy: Being a Philadelphia native, Will Smith has set the bar very high for us and its not like you can just slap random folk for practice.
    Today at 10:22:18 PM