Author Topic: Rule Change Suggestion  (Read 600 times)

Offline papps

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 9
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PHI:
    • View Profile
Rule Change Suggestion
« on: August 01, 2018, 04:41:19 PM »
I wanted to bring up for discussion to change the rule and allow the trading of draft picks.  I know we have talked abut it in the past and it was a no but I think its worth talking about again.  I know its more work for the admins to keep track and process, and I know we try to stick to the real MLB rules as possible, and I know that its done so teams can't trade away all future assets and quit the league.  I just think its time to maybe make a few tweaks that may effect the activity level.  I know its not the perfect answer but I believe allowing the trading of draft picks may speed up rebuilds, make teams get more involved, and pick up the level of activity.  We already allow the trading of the drafted players 60 days after they are drafted so I don't think it will harm the league at all.  This league has been around for a long time and I'm just trying to think of ways to get more players invested in their teams.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 - 2021 NFL Live Champion :TB-NFL:
🏆 - 2020 Bush League Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 Franchise GM Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 The League Champion :PIT-NFL:
🏆 - 2016 Moneyball II Champion :BOS:
🏆 - 2010 Agents vs GMs Champion :PHI:

Offline Brent

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NO:
    • :LouisianaState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
Re: Rule Change Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
I usually would be for the ability to trade draft picks, however after recently taking over a team in  Bush League with little talent, no picks earlier than round 4 and a severely neglected farm system riddled with non-specs and some guys who haven't played in years, I think this is one rule that is in place to always ensure a team has the ability to replenish the talent even if someone neglects the team. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SEA: 2023 Field of Dreams - League Champion
:NOP: 2022-23 Buckets of Dimes - Eastern Conference Champion
:NO: 2021-2022 NFL Live -  30-4 (4-2) 2X NFC Runner-up/1X NFC South Champs
:NO: 2018-2020 NFL Countdown - 37-11 (3-2) 1X NFC Runner Up/2X NFC South Champs
8 ProFSL Hosted League Championships 2010-2019
Proud Member of the Who Dat Nation!

Offline papps

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
I usually would be for the ability to trade draft picks, however after recently taking over a team in  Bush League with little talent, no picks earlier than round 4 and a severely neglected farm system riddled with non-specs and some guys who haven't played in years, I think this is one rule that is in place to always ensure a team has the ability to replenish the talent even if someone neglects the team.

That has always been the down side. However the upside is the activity level. This league is way behind Bush in activity. There is no doubt the issue of someone trading everything away and quitting but that is why we have a TC. Trades should be evaluated and looked at if someone is bleeding a franchise.

We also have teams in this league that are seriously neglected without even trading draft picks. Horrible farms and barely a starting lineup. I just don’t see the sense in being able to trade the drafted player after 60 days but can’t trade the pick before drafting.

At the end of the day the reason I bring this up is an idea to invigorate the league a little. It’s run extremely well and has a good history. I just think we need to evolve a little and not get stale.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:49:13 PM by papps »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »
Personally, I can't say I like the idea but I am one vote.
Should you care to pursue the issue, by rule you can do so:
Item VI B-2.0 Rules Committee Protocol
8.) Any GM in the league may propose a general referendum to be considered by the entire league if at least eight (8) member co-sponsor the referendum.  A referendum must receive at least 16 votes to be implemented—this would be a simple majority of 15 + 1.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 12:19:13 AM »
That has always been the down side. However the upside is the activity level. This league is way behind Bush in activity. There is no doubt the issue of someone trading everything away and quitting but that is why we have a TC. Trades should be evaluated and looked at if someone is bleeding a franchise.

We also have teams in this league that are seriously neglected without even trading draft picks. Horrible farms and barely a starting lineup. I just don’t see the sense in being able to trade the drafted player after 60 days but can’t trade the pick before drafting.

At the end of the day the reason I bring this up is an idea to invigorate the league a little. It’s run extremely well and has a good history. I just think we need to evolve a little and not get stale.

I would agree that there are some teams in the league that don't have very active members, and yes, some are in sad shape, but step back and look at the situation.  Does that mean that the league is stale and unappealing?  Does it mean that it's in a state of decline?  Does it mean that the league is out of step with the times and is now irrelevant?  Is trading draft choices going to change the activity of the league?

To all those questions I would offer-No, no, no, and no--and here is why I say this.

Our league has gone through a variety of leadership phases--from it's founding by Colby, to Dan Miller, to rcanskoy, to Shooter47, to the present team of BHows and me.  Through the years, we have had a lot of turnover and there have been examples of GMs who have destroyed franchises by disregarding the future and simply neglecting to re-stock their teams.  During our years, we have undergone a lot of changes to stay relevant and some of the changes came slowly (like getting rid of the FYPD signing bonuses), and at times an issue reached a critical level (like the approval of trades or changing teams) and created a definite schism in the league.

So when Rick and I took over as co-commissioners in January 2015, we had some decisions to make--and one of the first ones was to tackle a variety of issues to make the league run more efficiently.  I am not trying ask for a pat on the back, but I think we have done a lot of things to promote activity by making things more efficient.  We streamlined the Trade Process, updated the League Rules, replaced our EDR system an MiLB roster that can be utilized as a working roster, instituted a yearly update of the Extension Value Scale, got rid of the Type A & B free agent system and replaced it with a system that less debilitating and helps less competitive teams keep their picks.  I believe the FYPD runs pretty smoothly and we keep the rosters updated so that GMs know what their rosters and cap dollars look like at all time.

I'm not sure what can be done to improve activity beyond what we are already doing.  There have been instances where we have removed GMs for a lack of activity, and sought more enthusiastic replacements, but this is a free league, and as such, there is only so much we can do to promote activity.  If you all recall, there have been a variety of long standing members who had to be removed for inactivity, one of which resurfaced to reclaim his team, but with that he is not active in free agency, or the FYPD and does not respond to trade offer PMs.  Would trading draft picks get him to be more active?

We have a few former commissioners who quietly restock their teams with a few free agents and have teams that have been very competitive over the years, but they don't seem to be interested in trades and usually don't respond to trade inquiries.  Will trading picks change their activity?

Many of you might also recall, as a drastic measure, we had to place one team in receivership last season because of neglect.  That team was taken over my a more active GM, but only after we helped revive the roster to make it more appealing.  We may have to that again in the future, but I sure hope not.

Our league had to endure a mass exodus to DynastySportsHQ, but we survived.  Some have come back to take over some needy teams and one is destroying the NL West.  Another has GM has come out of retirement and taken over a team from a GM who was simply overwhelmed by the rebuilding process--but many of you probably didn't know that I reached out to that GM to see if he wanted to continue or step aside, and to his credit, he thought it best to let someone more capable run the team. 

All this points to a league that is by no means stale.  FGM is relevant because we have adapted to the times and tried our best to mirror MLB.  MLB, beyond some compensatory picks and international money, does not  allow teams to trade draft picks because they fear teams will squander their future by failing to re-stock their farm systems.  We all know baseball players take longer to develop than rookies in the NBA and NFL, but for our purposes, I sincerely disagree with the premise that trading picks will improve league activity. 

As for the Trade Committee policing the situation, may I remind all who read this about the turmoil and bad feelings that surface whenever there is a veto.  "We should be able to run our teams as we see fit" is a common argument, so from my vantage point, opening up another path where we have to "protect" GMs from themselves is simply not something I wish to support.

Thanks for reading my babble. :toth:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline papps

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 12:31:00 AM »
No doubt lots of good changes have happened here in the last few years. The league is run very well. Trading draft picks was just an idea. I don’t think lack of activity is anything we are doing wrong. It’s finding the right mix of GMs that are motivated to want to play. I’m all for any ideas to try and make the league better.

Please don’t take my suggestion as a dig at the league. It’s quite the opposite. I’ve been in this league for 8 seasons now (I think) and I want to see it continue to be as much fun as possible.

I always say how much I appreciate the thankless job of being commish. It’s a lot of work.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kidd5jersey

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 12:45:27 AM »
I think the idea is always interesting.  However, people trade long term assets for short term when the team really isn't ready to compete.  Then, when that team fails or something comes up they quit leaving the future manager with no resources.  The rule protects teams from themselves.  In specific leagues, the best teams take advantage of owners who don't value picks and thus those teams never fall off.  I think it makes everyone try to build their system. We always can trade our prospects if we like.  I also like to keep it as close to MLB as possible.

I vote NO to the proposed change. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 01:00:12 AM »
No doubt lots of good changes have happened here in the last few years. The league is run very well. Trading draft picks was just an idea. I don’t think lack of activity is anything we are doing wrong. It’s finding the right mix of GMs that are motivated to want to play. I’m all for any ideas to try and make the league better.

Please don’t take my suggestion as a dig at the league. It’s quite the opposite. I’ve been in this league for 8 seasons now (I think) and I want to see it continue to be as much fun as possible.

I always say how much I appreciate the thankless job of being commish. It’s a lot of work.

Never viewed any of the comments as an aspersion towards the league, my comments were more of "look what's happened over the years". I tend to be long winded, but discussions of these types are needed for the benefit of the entire league.  Activity is the lifeblood of any fantasy league and it never hurts to explore ways to improve it.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline LockedNLoaded

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :Maine:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »
For whats it worth I am all for trading draft picks.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Sports Fan dynasty legend.
    April 15, 2024, 06:05:16 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I'm in 10
    April 15, 2024, 07:06:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: And active in all
    April 15, 2024, 07:06:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    April 15, 2024, 07:22:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    April 15, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day
    April 15, 2024, 07:27:08 PM
  • Daddy: Youre getting the full experience in that many leagues. There is always something to do.
    April 15, 2024, 07:33:19 PM
  • Daddy: Each league is different so makes you approach things differently.
    April 15, 2024, 07:33:43 PM
  • Jon: i have openings in SEC football 1st year league
    April 15, 2024, 07:54:15 PM
  • Jon: I am pretty sure that I am going to do away with the 64 team league as I can't justify paying the fee that Fantrax wants
    April 15, 2024, 07:54:44 PM
  • Jon: [link]
    April 15, 2024, 07:56:47 PM
  • Daddy: I pay about $500 in fantrax fees. I feel ya Jon.
    April 15, 2024, 08:09:00 PM
  • Daddy: Probably more if i added it all up. All that work + all that money = why very few do it. #Respect
    April 15, 2024, 08:11:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm
    April 15, 2024, 09:52:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w one last pm
    April 16, 2024, 01:01:12 AM
  • indiansnation: Trade posted jim w
    April 16, 2024, 01:02:15 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Two late night deals
    April 16, 2024, 01:18:11 AM
  • Brent: Good morning guys.  Just a heads up, I am cutting back on leagues by a lot.  I'll message the commissioners which ones, but between work, school, fishing and family the thing that is going to get cut is fantasy sports.
    April 16, 2024, 07:30:32 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL WELCOMES OUR NEWEST OWNER BRUISER :judge: BRUISER HAS COMPLETED PURCHASE OF THE ARIZONA/UTHA COYOTES FRANCHISE :PHO2: [link] :PHO2:
    April 16, 2024, 11:37:48 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for deals
    April 16, 2024, 08:13:31 PM
  • indiansnation: Updated trade block in fgm
    April 17, 2024, 12:37:39 AM
  • indiansnation: Indians in mlb live looking to trade
    April 17, 2024, 01:48:22 AM
  • jschwab: Leagues?? I'm in 14 MLB, 2 NHL, 1 NFL and 2 NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 12:33:58 PM
  • jschwab: It's nice being retired with a wife that likes me to stay out of her hair.
    April 17, 2024, 12:34:21 PM
  • jschwab: Oh yeah, and now 1 big honkin' NCAA
    April 17, 2024, 12:34:50 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Haha nice jschwab
    April 17, 2024, 12:45:03 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Indians pm
    April 17, 2024, 01:42:37 PM
  • Daddy: @John :rofl: respect
    April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 PM
  • Daddy: Fantasy sports IS MY getaway. Im a Dad, i work, i deal in real world Crap all day. I travel a lot across the country. My Son and others on site know the life. :rofl:
    April 17, 2024, 02:59:59 PM
  • Daddy: I imagine running a league is equivalent to running 10-32 teams by itself. I can do that from the Crapter.
    April 17, 2024, 03:01:15 PM
  • Daddy: And still be a dad, go on trips, get much booty :) . And im an old fart.
    April 17, 2024, 03:02:42 PM
  • Daddy: oh s?, el pap? hace tiempo para mi bot?n.
    April 17, 2024, 03:05:58 PM
  • dbreer23: Mucho respecto!
    April 17, 2024, 03:31:00 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for any deals
    April 17, 2024, 06:58:06 PM
  • Daddy: Michael Porter Jr.'s brother Jontay.... Banned for life by NBA for gambling.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:24 PM
  • Daddy: He bet on his own performance (under) and his team to lose games.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: good riddance
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:11 PM
  • dbreer23: and I'm not even a NBA fan
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:20 PM
  • Daddy: Gambling is as bad an addiction as there is.  This guy comes from money, has a brother thats uber rich, and he himself was in the NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 11:00:36 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS looking very tough for one team :ANA: 155.05 v 236.25 :NYR: with only today's games left to plan. :judge: [link]
    April 18, 2024, 10:44:33 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any deals
    April 18, 2024, 06:30:53 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here early for talks.
    Yesterday at 09:14:02 AM
  • Rob: SlackJack and his Arizona Coyotes are DNHL Champs for the 2nd year in a row.  Congrats!!  [link]
    Yesterday at 09:37:43 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Congrats to the 2024 FNHL NYR on winning it all!
    Yesterday at 02:23:56 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco: FNHL FINALS OFFICIAL SCORE :ANA: ANH 160.15 v 247.3 :NYR: NYR
    Yesterday at 02:25:02 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Well done, FNHL's CaliHkyGuy [link] :winner:
    Yesterday at 02:37:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talsk'
    Yesterday at 04:11:46 PM
  • STLBlues91: talks**
    Yesterday at 04:11:51 PM
  • Daddy: Ever since the Academy Awards a couple years back, ive been working on my slap technique.
    Yesterday at 10:21:13 PM
  • Daddy: Being a Philadelphia native, Will Smith has set the bar very high for us and its not like you can just slap random folk for practice.
    Yesterday at 10:22:18 PM