Author Topic: 60 Day Trade Restriction Rule Proposal  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
60 Day Trade Restriction Rule Proposal
« on: November 20, 2019, 03:14:41 PM »
I’d like to formally propose the removal of the 60 day waiting period to trade players. If you take a look at our previous vote (http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=325462.0) as many people voted to abolish the rule as there was to keep the rule, so after a year and having new members, I believe it’s worth bringing back up. The following reasons are points of why this rule change is needed:

1. Easier for the commissioner
    1. Not having to check trades to make sure players who fall into this rule saves Flash time, as well as not having to put the “sign date” on the rosters for every player

2. Mirrors the MLB
    No reason to keep a rule that they don’t abide by in the MLB which really has no affect on our league

3. Hurts Activity
    This one is self-explanatory. More restrictions = Less trading

4. In a free league, simpler is better
    Why make anything harder than it has to be.

5. It’s not achieving what it’s supposed to prevent
    Players subject to the rule will be traded regardless, it will just delay it from happening. These players will be judged with the same criteria whether it’s today, or in 60 days.

I can expand more on my thoughts. I believe this is the best route of action and I'm sure I'm not the only one who believes that.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
Re: 60 Day Trade Restriction Rule Proposal
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 08:55:09 PM »
Since this is a discussion thread, I want to offer this:

1. Easier for the commissioner
I think it is safe to say I will not be Commissioner forever, so leaving me out of it, if thinking about future Commissioners, abolishing the 60 day rule will not be a significant change it terms of time saved.  Although I whined about it in another thread, entering and removing signing dates is not a big deal and should not even be considered when weighing the merits of the 60 day moratorium.

2. Mirrors the MLB

This facet of FGM really needs to be seriously considered because it is something our league has always prided ourselves on.  I agree that in MLB, contracted players can be traded at any time (except between the trading deadline and the end of the World Series).  With that, MLB got rid of August waiver trades and so did we—and there wasn’t any pushback on that issue.  I know we all run our teams differently, but are we acquiring free agents to improve our teams or are we acquiring them as trade bait?  Either way, waiting 60 days to trade them away doesn’t seem like a giant obstacle.  Given injuries, roster changes, and whatever else happens on the MLB level, all of the players on our 40 MLB/20 MiLB are not limited by a 60 day moratorium.

As for players acquired in the FYPD, our 60 Day trade moratorium does mirror MLB, but is not nearly as stringent.  MLB teams abide by the rule and it is certainly enforced.  However, since we hold our FYPD in November and not June, we have modified the rule because if we held our draft in July (after the June draft), the FYPD would drastically affect our competitive rosters (in-season as opposed to off-season).  So our 60 day moratorium is a compromise of a sort and upholds the spirit of the current MLB rule of 90 days or after the World Series.

“A player who signs after being selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft (First-Year Player Draft) or who was eligible for selection in the Rule 4 Draft but was not selected and who signs with an MLB club as a Non-Drafted Free-agent (NDFA) cannot be traded for at least 90 days or until after the conclusion of the World Series (no earlier than 9 AM on the day after the final game of the World Series), whichever comes last.
NOTE: Previously, a player signed after being selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft could not be traded until the first anniversary of the player signing his first contract.”

In the last vote I advocated for the abolition of the June 1st free agent freeze because it did not mirror anything in MLB.  Abolishing the June 1st date and keeping the 60 day trade moratorium was a compromise to be sure, but I still don’t agree with the premise that it isn’t warranted because of the inevitability of a player being traded.  Interrupting immediate gratification isn’t really a solid reason for a rule that has worked for the 11 years this league has been in existence.  This is free league but not a free for all when it comes to league participation.

Finally, as far as activity, trading is great, but looking back throughout the years, only a limited amount of GMs actually negotiate trades.  Some are very active and some have never been a part of any trade in FGM.  Activity in free agency during the off-season and throughout is a gauge of actual activity.  Changing Fantrax lineups and monitoring MiLB promotions to the MLB are other forms of activity. 

Getting rid of the 60 day rule for FYPD players is not warranted from my perspective.  As for newly signed free agents, I am still on the fence.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline Yeagg

• The Bush League
  • All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :Tennessee:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 11:27:38 PM »
I'll give my support on this as 1 of the 8 required GM's to back a vote on a rule change
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:ARZ: 2021 Bush League World Series Champion
:NYY: 2021 FGM AL Wild Card
:ARZ: 2019 Bush League World Series Champion
:ATL: 2019 Armchair FB NL East Champion
:NYY: 2019 FGM AL Wild Card
:PIT-NFL: 2018 NFLC Divisional Series Winner
:TB: 2018 WCB2 East Coast Wild Card

Offline Anthony

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:22:57 AM »
“A player who signs after being selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft (First-Year Player Draft) or who was eligible for selection in the Rule 4 Draft but was not selected and who signs with an MLB club as a Non-Drafted Free-agent (NDFA) cannot be traded for at least 90 days or until after the conclusion of the World Series (no earlier than 9 AM on the day after the final game of the World Series), whichever comes last.

At the moment I only want to address this current point, and it has been previously bought up: our draft happens after the world series, so I would feel that we're already kind of waiting the 90 days as is.

that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to making FYPD ineligible to be traded until after the draft, in the spirit of not trading draft picks if that makes things easier.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 02:34:08 AM »
At the moment I only want to address this current point, and it has been previously bought up: our draft happens after the world series, so I would feel that we're already kind of waiting the 90 days as is.

that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to making FYPD ineligible to be traded until after the draft, in the spirit of not trading draft picks if that makes things easier.

How are we already waiting 90 days when we haven't even completed the draft and we don't know who will end up on our teams?  Trading the FYPD draftees immediately after the draft is simply saying there is no 60 day trade moratorium at all.  Is that the current point--the complete elimination of the 60 day draft moratorium?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline nerwffej

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 6
    • :Illinois:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 04:40:32 AM »
I am good with doing away with the 60 day for drafted players. The 60 day for free agent and resigning I feel should stay.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kidd5jersey

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 09:15:12 AM »
The whole premise of the FYPD is to supply teams with a good farm so that every team can compete long term. If you look at other leagues, owners are not committed for 3yrs let alone ten. The 60day rule protects teams from themselves.  Because teams don't do grueling rebuilds, they get desperate and trade top talent for playersin deals that seriously affect the future.

However, I will agree with the majority of the vote. If you guys feel this will improve the league then I'm for it.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 12:24:11 PM »
The whole premise of the FYPD is to supply teams with a good farm so that every team can compete long term. If you look at other leagues, owners are not committed for 3yrs let alone ten. The 60day rule protects teams from themselves.  Because teams don't do grueling rebuilds, they get desperate and trade top talent for playersin deals that seriously affect the future.

However, I will agree with the majority of the vote. If you guys feel this will improve the league then I'm for it.

That's not what the rule does, it only stops them from trading them for 60 days, once day 61 hits those prospects are as good as gone. Protecting GM's from themselves should be the job of the TC and voting on trades with the good of the league as priority number 1
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 12:35:20 PM »
How are we already waiting 90 days when we haven't even completed the draft and we don't know who will end up on our teams?  Trading the FYPD draftees immediately after the draft is simply saying there is no 60 day trade moratorium at all.  Is that the current point--the complete elimination of the 60 day draft moratorium?

Our version of waiting 90 days is the fact that our draft happens more than 90 days after the real MLB FYPD. I believe that the timing of our draft upholds the spirit of the MLB rule.

The current point is the complete elimination of the 60 day no-trade rule and its entirety, including free agent signings, extended players, and drafted players.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline WestCoastExpress

• MVP
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 06:19:23 PM »
The current point is the complete elimination of the 60 day no-trade rule and its entirety, including free agent signings, extended players, and drafted players.

Is this what the vote would be on?

Or would there be differing stipulations between FYPD, FA, and Re-Signs...?

I would say if there's a vote, to avoid all confusion, do away with the whole "can't trade players for 60 or 90 days" thing.

Which I think Anthony, is what you're going for here.

Seems like others are okay with eliminating one thing, but not the other.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL WELCOMES OUR NEWEST OWNER BRUISER :judge: BRUISER HAS COMPLETED PURCHASE OF THE ARIZONA/UTHA COYOTES FRANCHISE :PHO2: [link] :PHO2:
    April 16, 2024, 11:37:48 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for deals
    April 16, 2024, 08:13:31 PM
  • indiansnation: Updated trade block in fgm
    April 17, 2024, 12:37:39 AM
  • indiansnation: Indians in mlb live looking to trade
    April 17, 2024, 01:48:22 AM
  • jschwab: Leagues?? I'm in 14 MLB, 2 NHL, 1 NFL and 2 NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 12:33:58 PM
  • jschwab: It's nice being retired with a wife that likes me to stay out of her hair.
    April 17, 2024, 12:34:21 PM
  • jschwab: Oh yeah, and now 1 big honkin' NCAA
    April 17, 2024, 12:34:50 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Haha nice jschwab
    April 17, 2024, 12:45:03 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Indians pm
    April 17, 2024, 01:42:37 PM
  • Daddy: @John :rofl: respect
    April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 PM
  • Daddy: Fantasy sports IS MY getaway. Im a Dad, i work, i deal in real world Crap all day. I travel a lot across the country. My Son and others on site know the life. :rofl:
    April 17, 2024, 02:59:59 PM
  • Daddy: I imagine running a league is equivalent to running 10-32 teams by itself. I can do that from the Crapter.
    April 17, 2024, 03:01:15 PM
  • Daddy: And still be a dad, go on trips, get much booty :) . And im an old fart.
    April 17, 2024, 03:02:42 PM
  • Daddy: oh s?, el pap? hace tiempo para mi bot?n.
    April 17, 2024, 03:05:58 PM
  • dbreer23: Mucho respecto!
    April 17, 2024, 03:31:00 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for any deals
    April 17, 2024, 06:58:06 PM
  • Daddy: Michael Porter Jr.'s brother Jontay.... Banned for life by NBA for gambling.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:24 PM
  • Daddy: He bet on his own performance (under) and his team to lose games.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: good riddance
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:11 PM
  • dbreer23: and I'm not even a NBA fan
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:20 PM
  • Daddy: Gambling is as bad an addiction as there is.  This guy comes from money, has a brother thats uber rich, and he himself was in the NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 11:00:36 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS looking very tough for one team :ANA: 155.05 v 236.25 :NYR: with only today's games left to plan. :judge: [link]
    April 18, 2024, 10:44:33 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any deals
    April 18, 2024, 06:30:53 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here early for talks.
    April 19, 2024, 09:14:02 AM
  • Rob: SlackJack and his Arizona Coyotes are DNHL Champs for the 2nd year in a row.  Congrats!!  [link]
    April 19, 2024, 09:37:43 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Congrats to the 2024 FNHL NYR on winning it all!
    April 19, 2024, 02:23:56 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco: FNHL FINALS OFFICIAL SCORE :ANA: ANH 160.15 v 247.3 :NYR: NYR
    April 19, 2024, 02:25:02 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Well done, FNHL's CaliHkyGuy [link] :winner:
    April 19, 2024, 02:37:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talsk'
    April 19, 2024, 04:11:46 PM
  • STLBlues91: talks**
    April 19, 2024, 04:11:51 PM
  • Daddy: Ever since the Academy Awards a couple years back, ive been working on my slap technique.
    April 19, 2024, 10:21:13 PM
  • Daddy: Being a Philadelphia native, Will Smith has set the bar very high for us and its not like you can just slap random folk for practice.
    April 19, 2024, 10:22:18 PM
  • Braves155: Yo, who around rn?
    April 20, 2024, 10:35:56 AM
  • Rhino7: They do have slap fighting you could try
    April 20, 2024, 12:51:07 PM
  • Daddy: Damn they got slap fighting???
    April 20, 2024, 01:14:10 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Oh yeah they do. It's brutal.
    April 20, 2024, 04:02:39 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Usually on PPV. If you get into that try English phone booth fighting!!!
    April 20, 2024, 04:03:47 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Yup, UFC owned if im not mistaken. They handing out CTE for breakfast over there
    April 20, 2024, 07:18:25 PM
  • Daddy: Will Smith would be Drago in that sport.
    April 20, 2024, 07:58:15 PM
  • Daddy: I would be Clubber Lang
    April 20, 2024, 08:00:04 PM
  • Daddy: @Jwalkerjr88 i bet you are itching to trade or build something right now. Too bad you hate baseball. MLB LIVE be jumping when NFL LIVE rests (not that it rests much but still) :) .
    April 21, 2024, 02:00:29 AM
  • Jon: daddy, your the only game in town now for CFB on the board.  I removed Fansville as i decided i am not giving any more money to Fantrax for premium settings.  My leagues are free
    April 21, 2024, 11:32:55 AM
  • Braves155: MLB LIVE :NYY: has OF for trade looking for INF/pitching
    April 21, 2024, 01:51:13 PM
  • Daddy: Its always better for the site to have at least 2 leagues for each sport. However @Jon i understand the decision.
    April 21, 2024, 01:53:02 PM
  • Daddy: Fantrax fees do get expensive. Its like $110-$120 per league per year and when its all out of your own pocket and you do most of the work, its hard to find value in that.
    April 21, 2024, 01:55:06 PM
  • Daddy: Its like i been gone for a month all these PMs. Lordy! I hope its some trade talk in there.
    Yesterday at 11:04:36 AM
  • Daddy: Nope, nobody wants my junk players. It was all admin.
    Yesterday at 11:48:14 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahaha
    Yesterday at 04:10:00 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: 0 messages here.
    Yesterday at 08:27:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Mlb live indians looking to move p woo suk go
    Today at 05:51:59 PM