Refresh History
  • 9inches: and a Good Friday to you too.
    Today at 11:33:41 AM
  • -BA-: morning ladies
    Today at 11:43:20 AM
  • Daddy: SD TC votes needed before we break for Easter weekend
    Today at 12:31:05 PM
  • Daddy: [link]
    Today at 12:31:49 PM
  • kylerap: yeah! So my new catcher can help me against the Brewers for the last few days :)
    Today at 12:40:14 PM
  • Corey: Trade talks anyone
    Today at 12:41:23 PM
  • jnorris: yeah im looking for a bat in SD or MB
    Today at 12:42:02 PM
  • kylerap: hey Corey, is there any rule on how long Uehara has draft pick comp attached in SD?  Like how it goes away in june with the draft in big leagues for drew/morales?
    Today at 12:48:05 PM
  • Corey: Never came across this so we will default to MLB rules which is June 1st I believe
    Today at 12:49:22 PM
  • Corey: jon, I have a few extra sticks in MB
    Today at 12:49:49 PM
  • Jdwalter21: I need a big bat in SD
    Today at 12:53:26 PM
  • -BA-: I need hitters that actually hit
    Today at 12:54:13 PM
  • Corey: could talk Kemp if your interested
    Today at 12:54:20 PM
  • Corey: sorry Brian :(
    Today at 12:54:39 PM
  • -BA-: I am always up for talking
    Today at 12:56:43 PM
  • kylerap: I second that. Sounds like we all need hitters that can hit
    Today at 12:57:57 PM
  • Corey: JD hit me up on Kemp, maybe ill trade him in SD and trade for him in MB lol
    Today at 12:57:58 PM
  • -BA-: ha
    Today at 12:59:25 PM
  • -BA-: Oops, you weren't talking to me
    Today at 01:00:01 PM
  • Corey: I can be tho lol
    Today at 01:00:28 PM
  • Corey: Brian,  if you want to pm me your area of needs ill send you an offer
    Today at 01:01:25 PM
  • Gilly: its gillyyy
    Today at 01:03:19 PM
  • -BA-: sure
    Today at 01:04:13 PM
  • Jdwalter21: Corey you've got mail
    Today at 01:04:32 PM
  • Corey: hey gills how are you
    Today at 01:11:24 PM
  • Gilly: Im good, always good :) u bud?
    Today at 01:17:35 PM
  • Daddy: @kylerap :rofl:
    Today at 01:40:09 PM
  • janesvilleaces: what up
    Today at 01:43:44 PM
  • kylerap: I think I got you this week Daddy, unless your bats go wild this weekend
    Today at 01:46:08 PM
  • Gilly: Looking for a couple hockey GMs for NHL Yahoo Gm...a couple very sick teams available :)
    Today at 01:47:10 PM
  • Mr.TradeKing: Afternoon boyz
    Today at 02:06:27 PM
  • 9inches: hey
    Today at 02:10:27 PM
  • 9inches: [link]
    Today at 02:36:16 PM
  • Jdwalter21: anyone around in SD?
    Today at 02:49:48 PM
  • Daddy: @kyle, the week may be yours bud, i hope to get better as the year progresses. :)
    Today at 02:59:14 PM
  • Daddy: Lots of strong teams in the NL at the moment.
    Today at 02:59:53 PM
  • Daddy: SD is a fun challenging league, its not supposed to be easy ;)
    Today at 03:01:36 PM
  • Jdwalter21: Too challenging when your hitters start out 1 for 26
    Today at 03:09:31 PM
  • OUDAN: Afternoon boys
    Today at 03:11:15 PM
  • 9inches: Hey Dan.
    Today at 03:12:58 PM
  • 9inches: thoughts on my PM yesterday?
    Today at 03:13:05 PM
  • OUDAN: Didnt get it....
    Today at 03:14:57 PM
  • OUDAN: But if its MB and it doesnt help me this year its pointless
    Today at 03:15:08 PM
  • OUDAN: I may be selling off though if my team keeps this Smoking Gun up
    Today at 03:15:19 PM
  • 9inches: New PM, Dan.
    Today at 03:22:03 PM
  • OUDAN: ok
    Today at 03:24:10 PM
  • Mr.TradeKing: Dan, you do realize how contradicting that is right?
    Today at 03:28:12 PM
  • Mr.TradeKing: lol
    Today at 03:28:30 PM
  • 9inches: Yeah, but you get what he means, MTK.
    Today at 03:28:52 PM
  • 9inches: I comprehend it.
    Today at 03:29:09 PM

* UCI WorldTour

Author Topic: Expansion draft (brainstorming)  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Garfield

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :PHX:
    • :ARS:
    • :Euskaltel:

• 0_: :EPL13INVITEE: :EPL12FINALIST: :NBA12INVITEE:
    • View Profile
    • Basketball simulation card-driven board game
  • Fantasy Sport: :NBA:
Expansion draft (brainstorming)
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
EXAMPLE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NBA_Expansion_Draft

THEORY

We each select a number of protected riders we want to keep (I'd suggest 15). From the unprotected ones, Blankzy can choose 1 rider from each team and transfer him (together with the contract) to Lotto. This takes him to 21 total riders. Then the free agency continues as usual.

PRACTICE

Everybody could add grey background to indicate protection. E.g.:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvqIcA7i9Q8CdDZ2SGNnMWNpb09kdzRyNlJiajVtZlE&gid=27#gid=27

TIMING

TDU starts January 22.
4 days for selecting your squad => January 18.
3 days for Blankzy to digest the rules and add his riders => January 15.
3 days for selecting your protected riders => January 12.
This leaves us with another 3 days for brainstorming.

Thoughts?

Offline RenoDelft

• All-Pro
    • :NYY:
    • :SFO:
    • :SA:
    • :MON-NHL:
    • :UCLA:
    • :OL:
    • :AG2R:
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion draft (brainstorming)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:20:16 PM »
It looks fine for me.

It makes a lot of sense if we would like to see people joining the league.....especially when auctions are already finished......

Offline RenoDelft

• All-Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:21:02 PM »
It looks fine for me.

It makes a lot of sense if we would like to see people joining the league.....especially when auctions are already finished......

by finish i mean that all the big names are already taken.....

Offline TERatcliffe26

• All-Star
    • :JAC:
    • :VAN:
    • :STO:
    • :Sky:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
Only protecting half your riders to me seems like giving Blankzy slightly too much freedom of choice. especially considering how much time was spent to have to assemble the teams within the budget confines.

Personally id suggest protection of 20 riders is fairer as it should still give him a pool of in excess of 100 riders to choose from and is unlikely to have many budget issues, unless someone is willing to let a top rider go in teams that dont have a full roster.

I presume Blankzy is taking up lotto? would it be with in the rules for me to propose a multi rider trade to him before the expansion draft?

Offline Blankzy

• Veteran
    • :NYM:
    • :ATL-NFL:
    • :ATL-NBA:
    • :Georgia:
    • View Profile
    • Four Five Two
  • Fantasy Sport: :Soccer:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »
Only protecting half your riders to me seems like giving Blankzy slightly too much freedom of choice. especially considering how much time was spent to have to assemble the teams within the budget confines.

Personally id suggest protection of 20 riders is fairer as it should still give him a pool of in excess of 100 riders to choose from and is unlikely to have many budget issues, unless someone is willing to let a top rider go in teams that dont have a full roster.

I presume Blankzy is taking up lotto? would it be with in the rules for me to propose a multi rider trade to him before the expansion draft?

I'm very grateful for you guys going out of your way to let me in after all the rosters are set, and the last thing I want to do is say anything out of turn.  That being said, I have to say in regards to this comment, picking 15 riders to take off the table really isn't giving me too much freedom of choice.  Think of what it actually means.  Imagine there was a draft, and everyone picked their first rounder cyclists, all the big names.  Then the 2nd round, 3rd, 4th, all the way to the 15th round.  Then you let someone who didn't get to take any of those riders get first crack of everything that's left. I just don't think you guys will feel your rosters are that much weaker and adding five more rounds of riders to keep just seems like a bit much.  However, I will certainly take what I can get and if that's what everyone feels comfortable with then that is fine. 

Offline TERatcliffe26

• All-Star
    • :JAC:
    • :VAN:
    • :STO:
    • :Sky:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »
I kinda of see your point however riders were originally allocated on an auction based process. And im viewing it purely on my roster, as I decided to take on more riders of a similar value say 200/300k rather than any real star riders over 1mil, therefore I just feel I may loose someone I wouldn't want to, however I also may not. Regardless of that the more the merrier, and I will be happy what ever is decided, I was just putting my view across

Anyway if its allowed and you would be up for it I would be willing to do a multi rider trade for Luis Leon Sanchez?

Offline Garfield

• League Moderator
  • MVP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Personally id suggest protection of 20 riders

Well, I must admit the original proposal was going to be either "protect 15" or "free up 10". My gut told me the former would be simpler, but I can see your point, and I imagine the latter would be your preferred version. Nothing is decided yet.

Also, you'll lose exactly 1 rider. Let's not get too dramatic :P

Let's keep it clean and keep those for after the draft. Anyway, for him it's impossible at the moment to assess what he'll end up with.

Imagine there was a draft, and everyone picked their first rounder cyclists, all the big names.  Then the 2nd round, 3rd, 4th, all the way to the 15th round.  Then you let someone who didn't get to take any of those riders get first crack of everything that's left.

Not exactly. We acquired everybody via auction, so I can't really tell you if I prefer to keep Lutsenko for €30 or Wiggo for €1000. Or at least this should be my state of mind. Maybe to achieve this I should allow people to keep the money they don't spend for next year?

Offline RenoDelft

• All-Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 04:55:10 AM »
Well, I must admit the original proposal was going to be either "protect 15" or "free up 10". My gut told me the former would be simpler, but I can see your point, and I imagine the latter would be your preferred version. Nothing is decided yet.

Well perhaps you can allow both letting the manager decides if he wants to protect 15 riders or free up 10....
The teams are quite different in their set up, so i could understand that protecting only 15 riders is to low for TERatcliffe26 but for my team freeing up 10 riders would be a bit excessive.

Not exactly. We acquired everybody via auction, so I can't really tell you if I prefer to keep Lutsenko for €30 or Wiggo for €1000. Or at least this should be my state of mind. Maybe to achieve this I should allow people to keep the money they don't spend for next year?

That would change then the whole game.....
Personnally i prefer the way it is now.

Offline Fus87

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 05:30:55 AM »
Ooh, more exciting stuff. :disco:
The only bad thing is that I'm on the receiving end of it... :doh:
I'm fine with both 15 or 20 protected riders, however if it's free choice I'm afraid many people will choose to protect 20, even if their team doesn't warrant it. Humans are just egoistic like that. :P
I'd say that the standard should be 15 protected riders, with an exception for those teams with a highly homogenous roster (say, more than 15 riders above 100k salary - that would be Astana, GreenEdge & Lampre, interestingly enough not Euskaltel; but it's just an idea). On the other hand, as Garfield says, you'll lose just one rider - might as well deal with it. But I'm happy to go with what the majority (or the boss) says.

I was about to say that we should try to get this done before the TDU, but I see Garfield has already stated that. Also, in case someone doesn't check and protect any riders, I think we should make an auto-selection (15 most expensive riders would be the easiest; 15 riders with most CQ points 2012 is possible, but unnecessarily complicated).

As Reno-Delft says, that would change the entire dynamic. Not a fan (and that would be the same also if I hadn't spent all my money already).

Last, but not least, welcome to Blankzy!

Offline Garfield

• League Moderator
  • MVP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »
I'd say that the standard should be 15 protected riders, with an exception for those teams with a highly homogeneous roster

Alternatively, we could be able to protect some fixed total salary, e.g. max 4000.

But whatever we decide eventually, it's going to be simple and transparent. That's why we brainstorm in advance to select the lesser evil. The only complaint I ever hear about my leagues is that they're too intricate.

Also, this is an expansion DRAFT, thus (see the example I started with) potentially more teams could participate. I'm recruiting very aggressively till the beginning of next week, and any help in that area would be very appreciated. Not only the more the merrier, but having 2-3 people would really give this whole expansion draft mechanic a decent test ride.

E.g. if we can find one more person willing to take on an empty team, he'd have his two neo-pro draft picks and the 1st pick in the expansion draft (and the 3rd, the 5th, all the way to 29th, leaving Blankzy with the even ones).

Btw taking into account that there is going to be more talent discovered in the peloton this spring (nobody knew in January 2012 who Moser, Pardilla, or Nordhaug were), some of you might thank me for the 1-2 empty roster spots one day ;)