FanDuel Promo Code $100 Money Back

Author Topic: 5th Down: Week 15  (Read 880 times)

Offline Philly Girl

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI:
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
5th Down: Week 15
« on: December 13, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
The 5th Down Blog is designed to help you, the fantasy owner, on whom to start, sit, and who we pick as a sleeper for the week. Each week, we will take turns doing a position for the week. Feedback is always welcome as we love to discuss football!

San Diego and Carolina are a combined 9-17 but providing plenty of fantasy value this week.  Image courtesy of USA Today [old picture]

Check out past postings of the 5th Down for each week:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14

Quarterback - Billy

Must Start: Cam Newton :CAR: vs. :SDG:
Newton has been heating up the last couple weeks and has not turned the ball over in the past month. While the :SDG: Chargers defense is not terrible, it is not that good either.  Newton should be able to run for some yards and pass for over 200 yards and 2 scores.

Must Sit: Joe Flacco :BAL-NFL: vs. :DEN:
Flacco has been average this year at best and sometimes half decent when he plays a bad defense.  However, this week he goes up against a top passing defense in Denver that could cause at least one turnover.  On top of that, the Ravens fired their OC this past week.  Look for less than 200 yards and maybe one score from Flacco, but that's it.

Sleeper: Nick Foles :PHI-NFL: vs. :CIN-NFL:
Starting Foles this week in any league could be a gutsy move, but might pay off big time. He led the Eagles to their first win in 70 days last week and could win again with another solid performance.

Running Back - Philly Girl

Must Start: Mikel Leshoure :DET-NFL: vs. :ARI:
He and Bell had the same rushing line in Week 14: 12 rushes for 49 yards.  Decent ratio, low total, but Bell also picked up 47 more yards through the air.  Don't be fooled by one game.  Mikel has been the feature back and is in a good spot for 90 yards and a TD.  He may not be a must start on your team, but don't undervalue him because of last week.

Must Sit: Felix Jones :DAL: vs. :PIT-NFL:
If you were thinking of starting Jones then think again.  You should never start a RB against this Steel Curtain.  The Steelers defense will look to rebound after having their worst game of the season forcing Romo to go to the air.

Sleeper: Bilal Powell :NYJ: vs. :TEN:
The Jets offense  is not much to look at, but their is a ground game there.  The Titans are one of the worst defenses against the run.  Powell has had 11 or more rushing attempts in the past 4 weeks while scoring 4 TDs in that span.  He is not the #1 back, but this is a great opportunity for a back who has been productive over the past month.

Wide Receivers - JMAC

Must Start: Reggie Wayne :IND: vs. :HOU-NFL:
Wayne leads the NFL in targets, and Luck will continue to look his way early and often against a Texans secondary that is getting torched by WRs this past month. 

Must Sit: Steve Johnson :BUF: vs. :SEA-NFL:
Seattle defense has a great secondary and Buffalo is far from an elite passing offense. Sit Stevie this week.

Sleeper: Danario Alexander :SDG: vs. :CAR:
Really shouldn't be a sleeper at this stage as he has the fourth most yards since becoming a starter six weeks ago.  Also, not to mention five TDs as well... Look for the stats to continue this week against Carolina.

Tight Ends - Mike

Must Start: Greg Olsen :CAR: vs. :SDG::
Newton has found his way, and with the Chargers having lost Atari Bigby for the season, I can see Olsen with many targets and a score.

Must Sit: Jermichael Finley :GB: vs. :CHI:
If you still own Finley, it's time to cut bait, he's been bad for some time now, and he won't get right with Lance Briggs on him this week.

Sleeper: Rob Housler :ARI: vs. :DET-NFL:
I know it's hard to trust anyone on the Cards after last week's "game" but the Lions give up plenty of yards, and Housler is a nice big target/safety valve for Ryan Lindley.

Defense - Eric

Must Start: Seattle :SEA-NFL: vs. :BUF:
Fresh off of a massive fantasy day against Arizona, they should be able to put up double digits this week against Buffalo.  Fred Jackson is out, and Spiller didn't do much last week, so Seahawks are a very good bet to produce big numbers yet again.

Must Sit: San Francisco :SFO: vs. :NE:
Almost every other week they would be a top choice, but not this week against the high powered offense of the Patriots.  Bench the 49ers or risk losing the playoffs.

Sleeper: Detroit :DET-NFL: vs. :ARI:
If Seattle can do it, why can't Detroit? Now they may not give you record points, but they should give you double digits.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:28:29 PM by Philly Girl »
"They read their sports pages, know their statistics and either root like hell or boo our butts off. I love it. Give me vocal fans, pro or con, over the tourist types who show up in Houston or Montreal and just sit there." óMike Schmidt, Hall of Fame third baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies :PHI:

Offline Mike

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :BOS:
    • :MIA:
    • :Marshall:
    • View Profile
Re: 5th Down: Week 15
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 12:09:26 PM »
We did pretty terrible this week. :doh:
[NFL Invitational: :AFC: :NFL:] [Prestige Worldwide: :NFL: :Commish: I'll kill you, Leonard Nimoy]
"The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride."

Online Eric

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :CAR:
    • :COL-NHL:
    • :Kansas:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »
I didnt do to bad with the D. Seattle was 6th, San Fran was 17th and Detroit was my mess up at 18th.
"Nothing harms an organization or company more than a closed mind."
   -Mark Cuban

My ProFSL Trophy Case

:CAR: - Soon hopefully
:BOS: - 1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004, 2007, 2013
:Kansas: (CBB) - 1922, 1923, 1952, 1988, 2008
:NorthDakota: (CH) - 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2015
:NDSU: (CFB) - 1965, 1968, 1969, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
:FloridaState: (CFB) - 1993, 1999, 2013
:COL-NHL: - 1995, 2000

Offline Billy

• *ProFSL Gold
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 197
    • :NYY:
    • :WAS-NFL:
    • :GS:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :OldDominion:
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »
I did okay at QB. Only bust pick was Nick Foles
CCD 2012-13 7th Seed in West/Lost in 2nd round
CCD 2013-14 5th Seed in West/Lost in 1st Round
CCD 2014-15 2nd Seed in West/Lost in West Finals

PG- Tyus Jones/D.J. Augustin/Shaun Livingston (SG)
SG- Kent Bazemore (SF)/Solomon Hill (SF)
SF- Justice Winslow/Kelly Oubre Jr./Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
PF- Kristaps Porzingas/Miguel Williams (SF)
C- Karl-Anthony Towns/Darrell Arthur (PF)
D-League- Jonas Jerebko/Brandon Bass/Montrezl Harrell/Christian Wood/Robert Upshaw

Billy's ProFSL Trophy Case

Online Jonathan

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »
I only see 1 epic fail here, won't even say no names.  :rofl:

Offline Mike

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :MIA:
    • :Marshall:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:41:37 PM »
I only see 1 epic fail here, won't even say no names.  :rofl:

JMAC & me?
[NFL Invitational: :AFC: :NFL:] [Prestige Worldwide: :NFL: :Commish: I'll kill you, Leonard Nimoy]
"The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride."

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Yeah, you can mess up a title team, and at the time moving to STL was a good business deal. I believe the Rams won a Super Bowl there correct???
    Yesterday at 02:50:52 PM
  • Daddy: :doh:
    Yesterday at 02:51:13 PM
  • halo99: Yeah Super Bowl 34...sorry subject for me I'm from stl
    Yesterday at 02:53:40 PM
  • halo99: This guy takes it to the extreme
    Yesterday at 02:54:01 PM
  • halo99: He didn't even try to negotiate to keep the team here after getting all the benefits of the first move
    Yesterday at 02:54:51 PM
  • halo99: But hey it's a business more power to him but he's not worried ab winning
    Yesterday at 02:55:31 PM
  • halo99: See the fisher signing
    Yesterday at 02:55:44 PM
  • halo99: One of those things where u would have to live here the last few years and fully witness to understand I think
    Yesterday at 02:59:37 PM
  • halo99: At any rate go Pats lol
    Yesterday at 02:59:54 PM
  • Daddy: Now I understand the criticism.
    Yesterday at 03:14:30 PM
  • Daddy: No offense, but who the hell wouldn't take LA over STL.
    Yesterday at 03:15:36 PM
  • Daddy: There are franchises in the NFL who have been in one city for decades and generations that have never won a SB
    Yesterday at 03:16:52 PM
  • Daddy: STL managed to run 2 franchises out of the city, what does that tell you? I know what it says to me.
    Yesterday at 03:18:12 PM
  • Daddy: I've taken BooYah! s on better structures than the Edward Jones Dome.
    Yesterday at 03:19:50 PM
  • Daddy: Actually me stomach is bubbling a bit right now just thinking about it.
    Yesterday at 03:20:46 PM
  • halo99: He only left saint louis because he could double the franchise value by moving to la
    Yesterday at 03:22:01 PM
  • halo99: Stl had a stadium on the table similar to what minny did for the vikings
    Yesterday at 03:22:38 PM
  • halo99: Kronkee wouldn't even talk to the city about staying...wasn't a possibility
    Yesterday at 03:23:10 PM
  • halo99: St. Louis did screw up in letting the big red leave no doubt about that
    Yesterday at 03:23:41 PM
  • halo99: NFL bylaws said u can't leave a city just to make money
    Yesterday at 03:24:18 PM
  • halo99: Completely ignored
    Yesterday at 03:24:36 PM
  • halo99: LA can have them
    Yesterday at 03:25:08 PM
  • halo99: Honestly shouldn't have left there in the first place
    Yesterday at 03:33:55 PM
  • Jonathan: I'm hoping canes stay here.  Small markets don't keep teams long.  Quebec can have Vegas lol
    Yesterday at 03:34:57 PM
  • halo99: Yeah I hope so too. It sucks losing a team even one that's been bad for a long time like the Rams and hurricanes
    Yesterday at 03:36:37 PM
  • halo99: They're about to turn it around
    Yesterday at 03:37:12 PM
  • halo99: Unlike the fnhl canes
    Yesterday at 03:37:31 PM
  • Jonathan: We got us 1 title,  only pro team to ever win in this state.
    Yesterday at 03:38:44 PM
  • halo99: Yep that's the way I look at it for the rams
    Yesterday at 03:39:38 PM
  • Jonathan: Missed playoffs since.  Funny b/c last time they won teams like Sabres and Oilers were good.  They' re all coming around again,  few years away.
    Yesterday at 03:41:17 PM
  • halo99: yeah it shouldn't take that long to rebuild...any fan base will lose interest
    Yesterday at 03:43:42 PM
  • halo99: Look at the Hawks they couldn't draw flies prior to toews and kane
    Yesterday at 03:44:11 PM
  • halo99: Tough to justify spending money on season tickets to watch a bad product year after year
    Yesterday at 03:45:05 PM
  • Jonathan: I like less ppl at games,  that reduces the cost for the rest of us.
    Yesterday at 03:48:51 PM
  • Jonathan: But that will go away with winning.
    Yesterday at 03:49:25 PM
  • Anthony: Hawks inability to sell tickets was due to greedy ownership and high ticket prices really
    Yesterday at 03:52:01 PM
  • dazfoster: Chicago was due to Dollar Bill Wirtz, big plus is his son Rocky took over in 2007 and revoked most of Bill's policies and will spend the money while Bill wouldn't spend a cent.
    Yesterday at 04:49:13 PM
  • Jonathan: Jeff Fisher earned his contract extension in New England, Rams defense held Danny Woodhead to 0 rushing yards, catches and TD's.
    Yesterday at 05:40:55 PM
  • Jonathan: Jeff Fisher is place holder, coaching spam, he's supposedly got deal through 2018, Rams Inglewood stadium is set to open in 2019
    Yesterday at 05:43:51 PM
  • Jonathan: 49ers / Bears game is fertilizer vs. manure yet I find myself mesmerized by snow
    Yesterday at 06:29:02 PM
  • Drew: Couple openings in Backyard, PM me if interested
    Yesterday at 06:39:26 PM
  • Drew: Spots filled! Thanks guys
    Yesterday at 11:33:50 PM
  • irbwilleo: ncaa tourney time folks,I am working on the fantrax issue
    Today at 10:41:09 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Thanks for the peace and quiet in FNHL gents. It's a nice change. :toast:
    Today at 02:36:21 PM
  • Daddy: I'm working on that
    Today at 02:42:41 PM
  • Daddy: I've just run short on tradable assets :rofl:
    Today at 02:43:15 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: PM Snug
    Today at 05:23:39 PM
  • Daddy: Full league, but still looking for good owners. FNHL [link]
    Today at 05:42:38 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :iatp:
    Today at 05:45:38 PM
  • Eric: If you need a GM, lmk!