Author Topic: Blue Jays/Marlins Blockbuster Trade Discussions  (Read 650 times)

Online Corey

• *Senior Staff
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 1157
    • :ATL:
    • :KAN:
    • :OKC:
    • :COL-NHL:
    • :Duke:
    • :England:
    • :Blank:

• 0_: :MLB12FINALIST: :MLB13INVITEE: :NBA12INVITEE: :NHL12INVITEE: :NFL12INVITEE: :EPL12INVITEE: :NBA11INVITEE: :NFL11INVITEE: :MLB11INVITEE:
    • View Profile
  • Fantasy Sport: :MLB:
Re: Blue Jays/Marlins Blockbuster Trade Discussions
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 02:55:03 AM »
The fans in Miami have never supported the Marlins, or Dolphins..unless they are winning late in the season..can't blame the fans for Loria's inability to build a winner.

You can blame the fans for not showing up to watch the team.

You also cant blame Loria for the players not performing. Before the season, every baseball analyst said the Marlins at the very least would be in a wildcard race.

Loria goes out and adds big time talent to a team with decent youth to make a winner in Miami. Fans dont show up and players dont perform.... What else can he do?

He brought in the best closer out there, a premier Shortstop and a really good starter. The whole team underachieves, they finish last and lose 40million dollars.

If you were to spend 25k a year on a dog (must for do it for 5 years) who is suppose to wins you money at dog shows and then the dog decides it doesnt want to perform. So you gained nothing and lost 25k.  Would you keep the dog and pay 25k again for year 2 or would you sell it and try and get something back for it.

I would hope you would sell it.

Offline Mike

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :BOS:
    • :MIA:
    • :Marshall:

• 0_: :NFL13INVITEE: :MLB13INVITEE: :MLB11INVITEE:
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »
You can blame the fans for not showing up to watch the team.

You also cant blame Loria for the players not performing. Before the season, every baseball analyst said the Marlins at the very least would be in a wildcard race.

Loria goes out and adds big time talent to a team with decent youth to make a winner in Miami. Fans dont show up and players dont perform.... What else can he do?

He brought in the best closer out there, a premier Shortstop and a really good starter. The whole team underachieves, they finish last and lose 40million dollars.

If you were to spend 25k a year on a dog (must for do it for 5 years) who is suppose to wins you money at dog shows and then the dog decides it doesnt want to perform. So you gained nothing and lost 25k.  Would you keep the dog and pay 25k again for year 2 or would you sell it and try and get something back for it.

I would hope you would sell it.

I guess I see it like this..the fans never have been there, so still yet Loria somehow fleeces the taxpayers to pay for this stadium with the promise of a legit team..and I know most were saying the Marlins would be good last year, I for one was not, and I'm sure I put it on here too..you can blame ownership for how bad the team was, I mean when will owners learn you can't just go buy all these players and expect to win, chemistry, character, and the type of game each of these players play has to be taken into account before just throwing them together and thinking your going to win. I'm not saying the players didn't suck, and Ozzie wasn't a wreck, but the blame always starts at the top.
"The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride."

Online Corey

• *Senior Staff
  • MVP

• 0_: :MLB12FINALIST: :MLB13INVITEE: :NBA12INVITEE: :NHL12INVITEE: :NFL12INVITEE: :EPL12INVITEE: :NBA11INVITEE: :NFL11INVITEE: :MLB11INVITEE:
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
I guess I see it like this..the fans never have been there, so still yet Loria somehow fleeces the taxpayers to pay for this stadium with the promise of a legit team..and I know most were saying the Marlins would be good last year, I for one was not, and I'm sure I put it on here too..you can blame ownership for how bad the team was, I mean when will owners learn you can't just go buy all these players and expect to win, chemistry, character, and the type of game each of these players play has to be taken into account before just throwing them together and thinking your going to win. I'm not saying the players didn't suck, and Ozzie wasn't a wreck, but the blame always starts at the top.

This even more supports my point. How many owners would of spent all that money to bring in players when there never is fan support. Loria went out of his way and go against the grain to try and get fan support. It didnt work, so what your saying is he shouldnt of sold the players for specs... so instead he shoulda lost 40mil again and then have MLB take over the team because they are bankrupt in 2 years, sold and moved.... Is that a better option?

He brought in talent to win, he brought in latino coach and player who are the background as most of southern florida. He purposely targeted such players specifically for fan support.

You couldnt ask to much more from an owner then what Loria did for the Marlins.

Offline Mike

• MVP

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
This even more supports my point. How many owners would of spent all that money to bring in players when there never is fan support. Loria went out of his way and go against the grain to try and get fan support. It didnt work, so what your saying is he shouldnt of sold the players for specs... so instead he shoulda lost 40mil again and then have MLB take over the team because they are bankrupt in 2 years, sold and moved.... Is that a better option?

He brought in talent to win, he brought in latino coach and player who are the background as most of southern florida. He purposely targeted such players specifically for fan support.

You couldnt ask to much more from an owner then what Loria did for the Marlins.

No I'm not saying he shouldn't unload talent for specs, and lose money, what I'm saying is this guy is a POS..I don't believe anything he says about losing money, and while I don't remember everything I read when he was working the city for stadium money, I do remember how shady it looked, and the fact that he's blown up the team in less than a year, looks even worse..I mean if nobody came out  last season to watch  all the names they had, who is going to come out this year?
"The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride."

Online Corey

• *Senior Staff
  • MVP

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 01:12:25 PM »
Thank you Mike, your right the same people will come out to watch no matter what the players are, so why pay all the money for big names.

According to MLB the Marlins lost 40m, not according to Loria.

Offline Jonathan

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 103
    • View Profile
  • Fantasy Sport: :Blank:
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »
If the goal was to be cheap and to be irrelevant for the next 5 years, then I agree, the marlins did great. They are basically a team of specs now. They could be good in 5 years, but that is not helping the brand very much now, and I wouldn't be surprised if nobody shows up. Maybe they can convice Lebron to pick up a bat.

Offline Lindner

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 11
    • :MIN:
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :MIN-NHL:
    • :NorthDakota:

• 0_: :MLB13INVITEE:
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 01:31:54 PM »
If the goal was to be cheap and to be irrelevant for the next 5 years, then I agree, the marlins did great. They are basically a team of specs now. They could be good in 5 years, but that is not helping the brand very much now, and I wouldn't be surprised if nobody shows up. Maybe they can convice Lebron to pick up a bat.

I'd rather see Lebron pick up a football.  He would be a sick tight end/wide receiver.

Minnesota Sports Fan
UND Fighting Sioux

Offline Mike

• MVP

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »

They do have some nice young players now I like Brantly, Skipworth Jake Realmuto at Catcher, and I have always been high on Zach Cox at 3B, Christian Yelich is much hyped in the OF, as well as Marcell Ozuna who can crush the long ball, and nice young arms in Jose Fernandez, Chad James..and help me here, who did they get from the Dodgers for Hanley? Also Nolasco will be dealt soon as well, so more specs on the way.

Offline Jonathan

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 103
    • View Profile
  • Fantasy Sport: :Blank:
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »

They do have some nice young players now I like Brantly, Skipworth Jake Realmuto at Catcher, and I have always been high on Zach Cox at 3B, Christian Yelich is much hyped in the OF, as well as Marcell Ozuna who can crush the long ball, and nice young arms in Jose Fernandez, Chad James..and help me here, who did they get from the Dodgers for Hanley? Also Nolasco will be dealt soon as well, so more specs on the way.

Nathan Eovaldi and Jacob Turner in the 2 deals late in the year.

Offline Mike

• MVP

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »
Nathan Eovaldi and Jacob Turner in the 2 deals late in the year.
  Forgot about Turner..he's nice too

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

ProFSL Fantasy Sports

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • chrisetc21: sounds like code for old guy
    Today at 12:11:09 AM
  • chrisetc21: ;)
    Today at 12:11:14 AM
  • chrisetc21: Smoking Gun the A's are winning?  Billy Beane is going to win a playoff, wow
    Today at 12:12:31 AM
  • jblum: KC is coming back
    Today at 12:14:36 AM
  • kylerap: now the A's won't put in Doolittle.  such awful managing
    Today at 12:15:35 AM
  • Brent: What channel?
    Today at 12:23:45 AM
  • OUDAN: Someone come get Branch and Lee in NFLC
    Today at 12:24:10 AM
  • Daddy: Your such a junkie Sooner :rofl:
    Today at 12:32:51 AM
  • Corey: Will KC score?
    Today at 12:33:29 AM
  • Corey: Quiet possibly the best sign ive ever seen   [link]
    Today at 12:33:55 AM
  • Daddy: Trade junkie*
    Today at 12:36:52 AM
  • scottnva: i doubt anyone wants to gut their team for 2 guys that want even play a down this year lol
    Today at 12:37:11 AM
  • Daddy: We gotta get our :NYY: back on top MB/SD work to do.
    Today at 12:37:41 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: Go :KC:
    Today at 12:46:10 AM
  • Corey: unreal comeback
    Today at 12:47:42 AM
  • chrisetc21: So much for the big pitching matchup
    Today at 12:49:52 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: Amazing!  Still in it despite Ned Yost.
    Today at 12:50:06 AM
  • Corey: Love Finnegans emotion
    Today at 12:51:56 AM
  • kylerap: should've used Finnegan in the 6th/7th and game would be over
    Today at 12:52:04 AM
  • Corey: Does Gordon get the hit?
    Today at 12:55:46 AM
  • OUDAN: Scott they are perfect for a rebuilding team
    Today at 12:57:02 AM
  • Corey: Salvador can be the hero
    Today at 12:57:29 AM
  • OUDAN: Pat sent u a NFLC offer
    Today at 01:03:48 AM
  • Brent: Saints are always looking.
    Today at 01:05:23 AM
  • OUDAN: I need a selling team Brent
    Today at 01:11:33 AM
  • scottnva: ou rebuilding doesnt mean giving up beside your in my division lol
    Today at 01:16:49 AM
  • OUDAN: I just PMed u shoot me an idea I was just throwing ideas out
    Today at 01:17:11 AM
  • scottnva: Lee 17 games in 3 yrs not exactly break the bank kind of guy u want in fantasy lol
    Today at 01:17:45 AM
  • OUDAN: As I said send me a counter or something your comfortable with
    Today at 01:19:23 AM
  • kylerap: moneyball and saber followers everywhere have smashed their tv's at this game
    Today at 01:22:49 AM
  • kylerap: sabr
    Today at 01:22:59 AM
  • patjossom: Back to u Dan
    Today at 01:26:14 AM
  • indiansnation: hey guys
    Today at 01:27:08 AM
  • Brent: What happened?  What channel is the game on?
    Today at 01:28:19 AM
  • OUDAN: Back pat x2
    Today at 01:28:41 AM
  • Jonathan: tbs, Oakland took lead.
    Today at 01:29:14 AM
  • Jonathan: 8-7 b12
    Today at 01:32:46 AM
  • Corey: Cain Hosmer Colon Gordon,  can they do, it again
    Today at 01:35:02 AM
  • Jonathan: that looked gone
    Today at 01:40:13 AM
  • JMAC: this is a great game to watch, wow
    Today at 01:42:23 AM
  • chrisetc21: Royals tie, nuts
    Today at 01:42:40 AM
  • Corey: Wow
    Today at 01:43:39 AM
  • Jonathan: "This will be low scoring game, first team to score could win," said 99% of MLB pundits on Royals/A's AL Wild Card game with 14 runs scored
    Today at 01:49:06 AM
  • Corey: 5 runs in the first 3 innings
    Today at 01:51:05 AM
  • Jonathan: 2 to win it in the 12th
    Today at 01:53:57 AM
  • chrisetc21: Fun game
    Today at 01:54:36 AM
  • Corey: Wow
    Today at 01:55:30 AM
  • chrisetc21: Billy Beane "unlucky" again
    Today at 01:55:33 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: What a game!  :KC: