Author Topic: 5th Down: Week 9  (Read 770 times)

Offline Philly Girl

• *Staff
  • All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI:
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :Blank:

• 0_: :EPL13INVITEE: :NFL13INVITEE: :EPL12INVITEE: :MLB10INVITEE:
    • View Profile
  • Fantasy Sport: :NFL:
5th Down: Week 9
« on: November 01, 2012, 12:51:15 PM »
The 5th Down Blog is designed to help you, the fantasy owner, on whom to start, sit, and who we pick as a sleeper for the week. Each week, we will take turns doing a position for the week. Feedback is always welcome as we love to discuss football!

Is Michael Vick a sleeper start this week? / Courtesy of USA Today

Check out past postings of the 5th Down for each week: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

Quarterback - Eric

Must Start - Joe Flacco :BAL-NFL: vs :CLE-NFL:
This is almost a no brainer, yes he has had some hard times. The last time these 2 teams played, Flac Attack went bonkers with 356 yards and a TD. He may not be that good this time, but he is worth the start.

Must Sit - Matt Hasselbeck :TEN: vs :CHI:
I would start almost anybody else over Hasselbeck this week. The vaunted :CHI: D has a league leading 23 takeaways this season. Stay away.......

Sleeper - Michael Vick :PHI-NFL: vs :NO:
Ok yes so some people may be sick of him or have stuck with him to this point. This may be the week for him to MAYBE turn it around against the league worst pass D. The :NO: have not allowed anybody under 248 yards passing (Cassel) and 15 PaTD this season with only 3 INT and 4 FUM. I would even take the chance on him this week.

Running Back - Philly Girl

Must Start: LeSean McCoy :PHI-NFL: vs :NO:
Granted Shady is a standard must start but given Philly's desire to pass 99.9% of the time, he often doesn't get the numbers he is capable of achieving. This week, however, Philly plays a NO D that is 31st in the league for run D. Additionally, with all of the talk of a QB controversy in Philly, I expect McCoy to carry the bulk of Nick's, Vick's, or Andy's success this week.
Other Must Starts: D. Martin, W. McGahee

Must Sit: Chris Johnson :TEN: vs. :CHI:
Chicago has an amazing run D this year and if the Titans have any hope of beating Chicago it will have to be through the air. With a shaky start this season, Chris Johnson may not be the best option this week, again.
Other Must Sit: J. Dwyer, B. Green-Ellis

Sleeper: Ryan Mathews :SDG: vs. :KAN:
Mathews recently had a huge game for the Charges with 104 yards and despite his fumble Norv Turner stated that Mathews needs to continue to be a big part of this and that the Chargers need him to continue to have success. Playing against the Chiefs this week should help Mathews continue to keep his head up as well as his numbers, which have been a disappointment for the most part this year.
Other Sleeper: M. Leshoure

Wide Receivers - ProFSL

Must Start: Jeremy Maclin :PHI-NFL: vs. :NO:
Alright, I fully understand the offensive woes of the Eagles.  However, they get to feast on the fodder that is the Saints-D.  New Orleans, by far, has allowed the most fantasy points to opposing wideouts.  Now, to piggy back on last week's 5th Down in which Philly Girl said to bench D-Jax, I'll lean to Maclin here in Week 8 over Jackson.  Win or lose, Maclin will take care of business.

Must Sit: Sidney Rice :SEA-NFL: vs. :MIN-NFL:
Listen fantasy GMs, I know bye weeks are tough, but unless you are attending a wedding this weekend, you shouldn't be throwing "Rice" out there.  The Seahawks have done well this year with a lock-down defense and an offense that isn't making mistakes at an alarming rate.  Week 8 features an opponent that has been treating opposing passing games like fools.  Minnesota has allowed the third least fantasy points to opposing WRs this year.  The Vikings secondary is sick - in a good way, and your fantasy team is going to be sick - in a bad way, if you risk starting Sidney.

Sleeper: Titus Young :DET-NFL: vs. :JAC:
The Jaguars are less than desirable to watch.  The franchise has Los Angeles written all over it.  Still, as Herm Edwards once said, "you play to WIN the game."  The Jags are going to put their best out there, but their worst is their secondary.  The Lions are known for their passing game.  Titus may not be much of a sleeper, but with Burleson on the IR, the number of targets to Mr. Young will only increase.

Tight Ends - JMACisBACK

Must Start- Jason Witten :DAL:  vs :ATL-NFL:
No brainer here after last weeks ridiculous output. Look for him to continue the hot hand and net somewhere arounf 7-8 catches for 85 plus yards and a score.
Other Must Start: Antonio Gates :SDG: vs :KAN: He is due and KC is a soft defense

Must Sit- Jermichael Finley :GB: vs :ARI:
Brutal season thus far, talent is top notch but I see no reason to start him at this juncture of the season. AROD is spreading the ball around to Cobb, Jordy, Jones, etc and Finley is seemingly odd man out. Find better options
Other Must Sit: Kyle Rudolph :MIN-NFL: vs :SEA-NFL: Numbers have declined of late

Sleeper- Dwayne Allen :IND: vs :MIA:
Fleener is beat up and Allen is garnering more looks by the week. Look for him to put up 5-6 catches with 60 or so yards and a possible score as well.
Other Sleeper: Robert Housler :ARI: vs :GB: Should be playing catch up and AZ cannot throw the long ball, so Housler should get some looks

Defense - Mike

Must Start: :ATL-NFL: vs :DAL:
The Cowboys are awful, Romo is a sure fire bet to throw 2-3 picks a game.

Must Sit: :PHI-NFL: vs. :NO:
The Eagles def was terrible in the only week since the DC change, look for Brees to have a field day.

Sleeper :CLE-NFL: vs. :BAL-NFL:
Weather could be a factor, either way Haden is back, and the Browns have been good on D as of late.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:56:52 PM by Philly Girl »
"They read their sports pages, know their statistics and either root like hell or boo our butts off. I love it. Give me vocal fans, pro or con, over the tourist types who show up in Houston or Montreal and just sit there." óMike Schmidt, Hall of Fame third baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies :PHI:

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

ProFSL Fantasy Sports

Community Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Gilly: try moving a team down, like STL-NFL
    Today at 03:57:30 AM
  • Gilly: than go to posting section
    Today at 03:57:35 AM
  • Ace: did you put team as same abbreviation for contracts and roster
    Today at 03:57:52 AM
  • Ace: also don't use $ when putting in salary
    Today at 03:58:13 AM
  • Gilly: yes, can u send me back what u did and let me try yours
    Today at 03:58:35 AM
  • Ace: it's working for me
    Today at 03:59:18 AM
  • Gilly: can u send it back to me now u fixed it
    Today at 04:00:27 AM
  • Ace: I THINK I'VE GOT IT
    Today at 04:19:21 AM
  • Ace: u there gills; it's actually dead simple
    Today at 04:34:19 AM
  • Ace: randomly b35 needs re-formatting (left click, change to general)
    Today at 04:36:17 AM
  • Ace: then ctrl+f3
    Today at 04:37:45 AM
  • Ace: the three things that have roster in title change the 5 at the end to a 7
    Today at 04:39:46 AM
  • Ace: i'll email it back
    Today at 04:42:13 AM
  • Ace: you there gills?
    Today at 04:45:54 AM
  • Jon: brent you need a drop in sec brand
    Today at 10:01:37 AM
  • Brent: I'm going to drop one of my 13 QBs.
    Today at 10:04:35 AM
  • Jon: lol
    Today at 10:05:23 AM
  • Brent: posted
    Today at 10:11:37 AM
  • Jon: processed thats the one i thought you would waive
    Today at 10:20:48 AM
  • Brent: Jon, are we set up for the playoffs in DME?
    Today at 10:28:57 AM
  • Jon: yep
    Today at 10:32:02 AM
  • Jon: i did on fantrax and posted matchps on the board
    Today at 10:32:14 AM
  • Jon: im always on top of it
    Today at 10:32:18 AM
  • Brent: Oh, okay.  Did they start last week or is this the first week?
    Today at 10:32:58 AM
  • Brent: Nvm, i see it now.
    Today at 10:33:43 AM
  • Jon: last week
    Today at 10:33:53 AM
  • Jon: you had a bye week last week
    Today at 10:34:00 AM
  • Brent: I'm playing the Cards.
    Today at 10:34:04 AM
  • Jon: yep
    Today at 10:34:27 AM
  • Jon: they got the win last week over i think washington
    Today at 10:34:35 AM
  • Jon: [link]
    Today at 10:35:19 AM
  • Brent: Yeah, I see that now.
    Today at 10:35:52 AM
  • Brent: BTW, do you have the ability to change whether or not a pitcher is a SP/RP or just RP?
    Today at 10:36:21 AM
  • Jon: depends on the pitcher and the number of starts he has had this year but i can over ride anyone
    Today at 10:37:34 AM
  • Jon: but rosters are locked for the remainder of the year
    Today at 10:37:44 AM
  • Brent: Well it doesn't matter for this season since he is back in the minors but Surkamp had 23 relief apperances this season, 1 start in 2013 and 6 starts in 2011.  He might need to have SP dropped.
    Today at 10:39:02 AM
  • Jon: lets see what happens after we roll it over.   who is it
    Today at 10:40:07 AM
  • Brent: Eric Surkamp
    Today at 10:41:39 AM
  • Brent: Maybe it will drop for the 2015 season.
    Today at 10:41:51 AM
  • Jon: handled
    Today at 10:43:23 AM
  • Brent: Thanks!
    Today at 11:12:40 AM
  • OUDAN: Morning boys
    Today at 11:30:13 AM
  • Corey: Some friends from my hometown are doing a $10 NFL Auction draft live on yahoo tomorrow night. PPR league. If you want in pm me your email. We have a few spots left.
    Today at 11:45:06 AM
  • Jpsprague10: :LAA: BTL MLB pick is in
    Today at 11:47:17 AM
  • Scalious: Crap..was hoping Flores would make it back
    Today at 11:51:09 AM
  • Corey: Same here
    Today at 12:46:06 PM
  • scottnva: i was dead set on paxton
    Today at 01:06:59 PM
  • Jpsprague10: I was looking at Brad Miller in that spot, Flores.as the alternative.
    Today at 01:09:16 PM
  • kylerap: I had Flores on my minor league list.  missed his ABs last year. whoops
    Today at 01:12:13 PM
  • Vollmernator: Gilly I sent a PM
    Today at 01:45:32 PM

Forum Search