Author Topic: 5th Down: Week 4  (Read 925 times)

Offline Philly Girl

• *ProFSL Gold
  • All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI:
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :Blank:

• 0_: :EPL13INVITEE: :NFL13INVITEE: :EPL12INVITEE: :MLB10INVITEE:
    • View Profile
  • Fantasy Sport: :NFL:
5th Down: Week 4
« on: September 27, 2012, 01:23:59 PM »
The 5th Down Blog is designed to help you, the fantasy owner, on whom to start, sit, and who we pick as a sleeper for the week. Each week, five of us will take turns doing a position for the week. Feedback is always welcome as we love to discuss football!

Check out past postings of the 5th Down for each week: 1 | 2 | 3

Quarterback - Mike

Must Start: Christian Ponder :MIN-NFL: vs. :DET-NFL:
Easy call..look at two things. What did Ponder do to maybe the leagues best defense? What did Jake Locker do to Detroit last week? Add a returning Jerome Simpson and Ponder does it again.

Must Sit: Mike Vick :PHI-NFL: vs. :NYG:
No shock here, but you just can't trust Vick anymore, his turnovers are killing his once great fantasy value. Until he shows signs of ball control, keep him benched.
(other must sits: Josh Freeman, Jake Locker, Phillip Rivers)

Sleeper: Alex Smith :SFO: vs. :NYJ:
With Darrell Revis out, look for Smith to take advantage with many catches by Crabtree, Davis, and I'd even expect Moss to find the end zone.
(other sleepers: Blaine Gabbert, Carson Palmer, Kevin Kolb)

Running back - Philly Girl

Must Start: Frank Gore :SFO: vs. :NYJ:
Through Week 3, the Jets D have allowed the second most rushing yards overall and seventh-most fantasy points to RBs. Gore should get several opportunities and with a lead, expect the ground game to hammer away at the Jets D.

Must Sit: Chris Johnson :TEN: vs. :HOU-NFL:
**Disclaimer** Each week my "must sit" has had his breakout week. In hoping that the football Gods are paying attention, lets continue this trend.  Johnson is averaging 1.4 yards per carry and ranks 50th in fantasy points among running backs. The Texans are a formidable opponent this week and unless the Gods are paying attention, his stats don't look promising again this week.

Sleeper: Cedric Benson :GB: vs. :NO:
As a free agent just a few weeks ago, Benson epitomizes sleeper this week. He has totaled 180 yards in his last two games and this week the Packers play the Saints who have allowed the most fantasy points to RBs this season.

Wide Receiver - ProFSL

Must Start: WR Andrew Hawkins :CIN-NFL: vs. :JAC:
Hawkins was relatively unknown going into this season, but the 2nd year wideout from Toledo :Toledo: is producing.  While he has only caught two passes per game for the past two weeks, he has made the most of those catches by scoring TDs and accruing yards.  Overall for the season, he has been Dalton's 2nd favorite target with 12 receptions, 224 total yards, and 2 TDs.  This week, the Bengals' passing attack gets to feast on the Jaguars who are the second worst defense in the league regarding how many fantasy points they allow opposing WRs to score.  A.J. Green is an obvious must start and Hawkins has caught enough attention that he isn't a sleeper anymore.  Get him in your lineup now!

Must Bench: Any non-Megatron Lions WR :DET-NFL: vs :MIN-NFL:
The Vikings have surprised many of us this year quietly being productive on offense with a balanced attack, but mostly relying on great play by their secondary.  They have allowed the fewest fantasy points to opposing WRs and will have their toughest test this week with the Lions' aerial attack.  With that said, one should never bench Megatron, but for those who like Nate Burleson or Titus Young at WR3 (or WR1/2 in deeper leagues) then I suggest benching those guys this week.

Sleeper: WR Cecil Shorts :JAC: vs. :CIN-NFL:
I have already touched on the Jaguars' shortcomings in their secondary.  Cincinnati isn't that much better at stopping opposing WRs.  This game is bound to be a shootout and Mr. Shorts will benefit.  He has been the best Jaguars WR this year with 27 fantasy points in a league like The Gridiron.  He has a solid shot at 90 yards and a TD this week.  If you have bye week blues because you own Reggie Wayne, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, and Donnie Avery (bye week), then this is the substitute for you!

Tight End - JMACisBACK

Must Start: Antonio Gates :SDG: vs :KAN:
I am hoping this is the week that Gates finally gets the ball from Rivers in a rivalry game to determine 1st place in the AFC West. I look for Gates to find the end zone this week in addition to 5-6 catches and 50-65 yards as well.

Must Sit: Greg Olsen :CAR: vs :HOU-NFL:
Houston is giving up the 3rd fewest PPG for TEs on the season. They have a top tier def and Newton is struggling of late. Only play Olsen if you have no other options but I do not see him scoring or putting up solid receptions or yards vs this stout def.

Sleeper: Jermichael Finley :GB: vs :NO:
He doesnít seem like he should be a sleeper per say, but he has not done much this season and is slipping down the rankings. I look for Finley to find the end zone this week vs an anemic Saints defense and see Aaron Rodgers and company having a breakout game offensively with Finley benefiting nicely.

Defense - Philly Girl/ProFSL

Must Start: :ARI: vs. :MIA:
The Cardinals are on a roll and everyone is wondering if they are for real. This question is directed more at their offense but their defense has handled the Seahawks, Patriots, and Eagles and now they are going up against a potentially Reggie Bush-less offense. Look for Arizona to continue their winning streak and keep MIA under two TDs.

Must Sit: :BUF: vs. :NE:
I have been hot on the Bills this year (actually last year as well); however any team facing NE after two tough losses is nearly doomed. This is more about what I expect New England to come out and do over what I expect the Bills to handle. I believe Brady and gang will look to light up the Bills secondary and prove their prominence in the AFC.

Sleeper: :SEA-NFL: vs. :STL-NFL:
Seattle's D is leading the league with PPG allowing 13, and averaging under 300 yards per game to offenses. This week they face St. Louis who has allowed 12 sacks in three weeks.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:28:35 PM by ProFSL »
"They read their sports pages, know their statistics and either root like hell or boo our butts off. I love it. Give me vocal fans, pro or con, over the tourist types who show up in Houston or Montreal and just sit there." óMike Schmidt, Hall of Fame third baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies :PHI:

Offline Philly Girl

• *ProFSL Gold
  • All-Star
    • :PHI:
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:

• 0_: :EPL13INVITEE: :NFL13INVITEE: :EPL12INVITEE: :MLB10INVITEE:
    • View Profile
  • Fantasy Sport: :NFL:
Re: 5th Down: Week 4
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
I am starting Ponder and Shorts this week!
"They read their sports pages, know their statistics and either root like hell or boo our butts off. I love it. Give me vocal fans, pro or con, over the tourist types who show up in Houston or Montreal and just sit there." óMike Schmidt, Hall of Fame third baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies :PHI:

Offline CZbullsforeve41234

• Veteran
    • :CHW:
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :NotreDame:
    • View Profile
  • Fantasy Sport: :NBA:
Re: 5th Down: Week 4
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
Haha CJ had his breakout week

Offline CRS245

• *Senior Staff
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT:
    • :PIT-NFL:

• 0_: :EPL13INVITEE: :NFL13INVITEE: :EPL12INVITEE: :NHL12INVITEE: :NFL12INVITEE: :NBA12INVITEE: :MLB12INVITEE: :NFL11FINALIST: :NHL11INVITEE: :NBA11INVITEE: :MLB11INVITEE: :MLB10INVITEE: :MLB09CHAMP:
    • View Profile
    • ProFSL
  • Fantasy Sport: :MLB:
5th Down: Week 4
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
Haha CJ had his breakout week

The disclaimer holds true.

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

ProFSL Fantasy Sports

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • jblum: patjossom and corey are otc in btl
    Yesterday at 07:05:30 PM
  • jblum: Tubbs otc in btl again
    Yesterday at 07:46:59 PM
  • jblum: holy Smoking Gun what a catch by demaryius
    Yesterday at 08:40:12 PM
  • sports guru: Yeah that was a nice drive. Didn't catch the rest of the game though
    Yesterday at 08:47:26 PM
  • Tubbs: Brewers pick in - in BTL Majors
    Yesterday at 11:00:10 PM
  • jblum: Gilly otc in btl
    Yesterday at 11:01:22 PM
  • jblum: sean86m otc in r2n
    Yesterday at 11:12:22 PM
  • scottnva: i gpt skipped in btl lol i wasnt going to take marwin anyway
    Yesterday at 11:24:05 PM
  • jblum: lol sorry thats my fault scott
    Yesterday at 11:27:15 PM
  • jblum: hornies otc in r2n
    Yesterday at 11:34:57 PM
  • jblum: scottnva on deck
    Yesterday at 11:35:54 PM
  • Eric: sup
    Yesterday at 11:37:41 PM
  • scottnva: blum in r2n u took Hunter who was taken in rd 3
    Yesterday at 11:38:25 PM
  • jblum: oh, thanks scott i will make another pick
    Yesterday at 11:39:52 PM
  • jblum: just repicked
    Yesterday at 11:42:58 PM
  • jblum: hornies is now back otc lol
    Yesterday at 11:45:11 PM
  • scottnva: not so fast brice was taken in rd 3 lol
    Yesterday at 11:45:39 PM
  • jblum: Smoking Gun you scott lol,
    Yesterday at 11:46:53 PM
  • jblum: ok happy scott lol
    Yesterday at 11:50:01 PM
  • jblum: ok hornies OFFICIALLY OTC
    Yesterday at 11:50:39 PM
  • jblum: now scottnva is otc
    Yesterday at 11:52:29 PM
  • hornies: haha i took brice in rd 3
    Yesterday at 11:53:22 PM
  • jblum: i am so glad this league is full of smart people lol
    Yesterday at 11:53:59 PM
  • hornies: i'm not really familiar with these ncaa players, i think i'll have a hard time selecting in round 6 onwards
    Yesterday at 11:54:48 PM
  • jblum: by the time we get to round 6, fantrax will get more updated to see more stat leaders
    Yesterday at 11:55:49 PM
  • scottnva: thepPetis otc in btl
    Yesterday at 11:57:47 PM
  • jblum: and there be less and less players with nba potential
    Yesterday at 11:58:01 PM
  • hornies: i'm not even sure if i have an ncaa player with nba potential haha
    Today at 12:04:10 AM
  • jblum: all those guys have nba potential, seldon and harrell have high potential
    Today at 12:05:03 AM
  • hornies: all the freshmen with higher upside and buzz were all gone by the time i'm picking
    Today at 12:05:06 AM
  • jblum: you could have gotten kevon looney or deanglo russell, but seldon aint so bad
    Today at 12:06:03 AM
  • jblum: seldon is going to be a defensive stud though
    Today at 12:09:59 AM
  • scottnva: billy otc in r2n
    Today at 12:10:33 AM
  • jblum: there is one guy still on the board i really want
    Today at 12:11:24 AM
  • scottnva: i came real close to taking my alma mater stud
    Today at 12:12:18 AM
  • scottnva: but he isnt a nba spect
    Today at 12:12:31 AM
  • jblum: craig sword?
    Today at 12:16:00 AM
  • Eric: Welp fantasy baseball season in finally complete for most leagues
    Today at 12:20:15 AM
  • OUDAN: Got two more going at least I do. Did get 1 title so far though
    Today at 12:22:02 AM
  • Eric: I got one in my only baseball league
    Today at 12:27:36 AM
  • Eric: I dont like playing the last week in any sport
    Today at 12:27:48 AM
  • jblum: eric ugly ass game, huh?
    Today at 12:27:59 AM
  • Eric: yes it was. O-Line and running game sucks
    Today at 12:28:27 AM
  • Eric: good thing I am at work so I couldnt watch it
    Today at 12:29:37 AM
  • jblum: and i thought cam newton would get 25 points in fantast...
    Today at 12:38:07 AM
  • Eric: Did they pull him?
    Today at 12:39:36 AM
  • scottnva: who is craig sword?
    Today at 12:40:12 AM
  • scottnva: oh mp i didnt go to school in Miss. my nephew did
    Today at 12:42:50 AM
  • scottnva: no
    Today at 12:43:00 AM
  • scottnva: you will see next round if he isnt taken unfortunately if anyone on autop[ick i may be screwed
    Today at 12:43:43 AM

Forum Search