Author Topic: 5th Down: Week 3  (Read 548 times)

Offline Philly Girl

• *Staff
  • All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI:
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :Blank:

• 0_: :EPL13INVITEE: :NFL13INVITEE: :EPL12INVITEE: :MLB10INVITEE:
    • View Profile
  • Fantasy Sport: :NFL:
5th Down: Week 3
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:03:17 PM »
The 5th Down Blog is designed to help you, the fantasy owner, on whom to start, sit, and who we pick as a sleeper for the week. Each week the 5 of us will take turns doing a position for the week. Feedback is always welcome as we love to discuss football!

Well if Week 1 wasn't crazy enough for you, Week 2 certainly was no let down! For Week 3, here is our listing!

Quarterback - ProFSL/Philly Girl

Must Start - Tony Romo :DAL: vs. :TAM:

Eli Manning passed for 510 yards last week against Tampa Bay...enough said. If Romo can't execute on this, he has proven himself to be the incompetent QB that some critics believe.

Must Bench - Joe Flacco :BAL-NFL: vs. :NE:

While everyone seems content to bench Peyton this week, I'm going to give him one more shot considering the last 16 years...

Second to Mr. Romo above, Joe Flacco is proving he can be as inconsistent as the best of them. After an amazing Week 1, he let things get to him in Week 2 and it showed in his performance. Every team, every QB is challenged with the referee situation so far, but playing only half of a game doesn't impress anyone. In addition to Mr. Flacco's attitude he faces a Patriots team this week that will be looking to avenge a tough loss last week. I wonder who Flacco will blame this week?

Sleeper - Matt Cassell :KAN: vs. :NO:

As :KAN: has allowed the most points (75 through two weeks) the Saints are second with 69 points allowed through 2 weeks. Why Matt Cassell? He should be able to get a lot of yardage with the potential for 2 TDs this week against the abysmal :NO: D...Bountygate, anyone?

Running Back - Mike

Must Start - Michael Bush :CHI: vs. :STL-NFL:

Look for him to make the most of his start against the Rams, pair that with Jay Cutler's recent play, the Bears are going to want to pound the ball, and Bush is the man to do that.
(other must start's: C.J. Spiller, Frank Gore, MJD)

Must Sit - Willis McGahee :DEN: vs. :HOU-NFL:

The Texans will be all over the run this week, and I could see Moreno getting more touches this week due to his pass catching ability. I doubt McGahee will gain more than 65 yards on the ground.
(other must sits: Shonn Greene, Steven Ridley, Cedric Benson)

Sleeper - Jonathan Dwyer :PIT-NFL: vs. :OAK-NFL:

The Steelers should have their way against a terrible Raider defense, and Dwyer should be able to get loose for some big plays, see Reggie Bush in Week 2.
(other sleepers: Andre Brown, Mikel Leshoure, Lamar Miller, Jason Snelling)

Wide Receivers - Philly Girl

Must Start - Danny Amendola :STL-NFL: vs. :CHI:

Amendola may become synonymous with Welker in the fantasy world. Bradford and Amendola have a clear chemistry and without competition for looks, his great start looks likely to continue. While his 16 targets in Week 2 are unlikely to continue I expect a solid 80-90 yard/game performance from him here on out. TDs maybe a little light but overall a great FA pick up if he is still available in your league.

Must Sit - Larry Fitzgerald :ARI: vs. :PHI-NFL:

I am even shocked at this pick and I am benching him in the one league that I have him just to back this up! Fitzgerald needs two receptions to reach 700 for his career, which at 29, would make him the youngest player to reach this milestone. I believe he will reach this against the :PHI-NFL: this weekend, however you will not be receiving extra fantasy bonus points for it. Last week, he caught one pass for 4 yards, fewest since his rookie season and with the :ARI: lack of a strong WR2, a solid TE, a standout RB or even a QB his value is not where it should be as as WR1. Of course, he is due to a breakout/normal game but this week he is paired up against two of the best corners in the league...Reaching 700 will be great this weekend but his performance will do little to boost your fantasy team. However, after my folly last week with Celek, this may just be Fitz's big game...

Sleeper - Brandon LaFell :CAR: vs. :NYG:

As Steve Smith draws the double-teams, Brandon LaFell has quietly emerged as the solid WR2 for the Panthers. He is a nice complement for Smith and offers Newton a weapon down field that has one-on-one coverage nearly every play. I expect the matchup this week to be no different and look for LaFell to continue adding to his season stats.

Tight Ends - JMACisBACK

Must Start - Vernon Davis :SFO: vs. :MIN-NFL:

He is fast becoming (if not already) the go to guy in this offense when they are not running the ball as evident by 3 TDs in 2 games thus far. He seems a lock to score again this week with his usual 4 catches and 60 yards or more.[/color]

Must Sit - Fred Davis :WAS-NFL: vs. :CIN-NFL:

RGIII seems more likely to run for yards instead of looking for a dump off option, which is clearly going to and already has hurt Davis this season. Expectations were that of a top 10 TE and he is not resembling anything of the sort thus far. Find better options.

Sleeper - Brent Celek :PHI-NFL: vs. :ARI:
With 12 catches and over 220 yards through 2 weeks (and Maclin hurt) he is the top option for Vick at this stage and look for that to continue this week vs an AZ team due for a letdown after last weeks big upset of the Pats.

Defense - ProFSL

Must Start - :ARI: vs. :PHI-NFL:

Arizona has been playing well and just proved that they can contain a formidable opponent in the Patriots. Now they get to feast on the Eagles who have been treating the football like a piece of trash, throwing it away every chance they get. While the Eagles have been able to eek out wins the last two weeks, it has come with multiple turnovers and I expect this trend to continue, with the :ARI: D benefiting.

Must Sit - :NYG: vs. :CAR:

The Giants came into this season with the Lombardi trophy looming instead of being held high. Their performance thus far is not that of a defending champion. Granted they have a short week, but with an improving offense in :CAR: and a horrible defensive start, lets bench the :NYG: D along with their offensive talent...

Sleeper - :CIN-NFL: vs. :WAS-NFL:

In keeping with the NFC East incompetence early on, the Bengals get to play a Washington D which has some early season injuries and are on the field nearly two-thirds of the game. So why does this bode well for the Bengals D? It limits their time on the field, keeping the D fresh and in theory leading to a little panic from a rookie QB on the other side, similar to what they did against the Brown's rookie QB-RB duo. The Bengal's D may not be able to produce the numbers of a top 5 D, but lately the G-men haven't either. The Bengals are a good plug this week.
"They read their sports pages, know their statistics and either root like hell or boo our butts off. I love it. Give me vocal fans, pro or con, over the tourist types who show up in Houston or Montreal and just sit there." óMike Schmidt, Hall of Fame third baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies :PHI:

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

ProFSL Fantasy Sports

Community Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Geoff: I think that is a good idea.  Between you and I, I am pretty sure we are commish or co-commish in every NCAA league, so we can quickly pm everyone.
    Today at 07:49:09 PM
  • Ace: we have 34 in ncaa cl; 16 would be min really for a re-draft
    Today at 07:49:20 PM
  • Geoff: I agree, 24 teams easy, if we can get enough interest
    Today at 07:49:30 PM
  • Geoff: Who is paying the premium to fantrax in NCAA CL?
    Today at 07:49:43 PM
  • Ace: brenton i assume
    Today at 07:50:04 PM
  • Ace: he did last year
    Today at 07:50:20 PM
  • Ace: i'll create a topic on the cotg boards and draft a pm
    Today at 07:50:50 PM
  • Geoff: ok, cool
    Today at 07:51:04 PM
  • Vollmernator: Ace and Geoff I would be in for an NCAA money league for $20 or $25
    Today at 07:52:11 PM
  • Vollmernator: I would want to be Kentucky,Michigan State or Syracuse
    Today at 07:54:14 PM
  • Geoff: Ok, great Matt! :thumbsup:
    Today at 07:54:53 PM
  • Vollmernator: Would it be for football and basketball
    Today at 07:55:24 PM
  • Geoff: Trial run would probably be football only.
    Today at 07:55:59 PM
  • Vollmernator: Ok
    Today at 07:57:19 PM
  • Vollmernator: When would the real deal start if you got enough people
    Today at 07:58:17 PM
  • Geoff: Not sure, we will have to see how the response is.
    Today at 07:59:14 PM
  • Vollmernator: When your done with the trail could you make it football and basketball I would for sure be intrested
    Today at 07:59:17 PM
  • Vollmernator: Ok cool
    Today at 07:59:40 PM
  • Ace: if there is sufficient interest we will run this year; then hopefully we can do a simple re-draft every year. My dream is to do a $ dynasty cfb but let's take one thing at a time lol
    Today at 08:00:45 PM
  • Vollmernator: Ok
    Today at 08:03:24 PM
  • Vollmernator: How many hours do we have to make a pick in BTL is it 12 hours or what
    Today at 08:09:12 PM
  • Vollmernator: Fitzy you gonna pick soon just wondering
    Today at 08:10:15 PM
  • Vollmernator: I'm just getting restless I really want to draft soon
    Today at 08:11:04 PM
  • Vollmernator: I know I don't pick til the 12 th pick but we've been stuck on pick 4 for a long time
    Today at 08:12:01 PM
  • Orange Country: all of 5 hours matt
    Today at 08:12:31 PM
  • Vollmernator: I don't mean to be rude sorry
    Today at 08:13:09 PM
  • Orange Country: your fine, he will get on and pick when he can
    Today at 08:13:47 PM
  • Orange Country: you can be figuring out who you want while your waiting
    Today at 08:14:10 PM
  • Vollmernator: Sorry just feels longer just watching sports shows all day just the one guy has been on through the day and didn't pick
    Today at 08:14:31 PM
  • Vollmernator: I got a bit of a list for players to pick
    Today at 08:15:34 PM
  • Vollmernator: I'll check back everyonce and while
    Today at 08:16:08 PM
  • Gilly: Wait till it gets to oudan , lol take a full 12 hr nap than haha
    Today at 08:16:15 PM
  • Orange Country: tru dat
    Today at 08:16:51 PM
  • Orange Country: Home Run Challenge almost ready to score
    Today at 08:18:50 PM
  • Orange Country: can't lose to Drew in a baseball league, not in me
    Today at 08:19:13 PM
  • Orange Country: Gills is ok, but not Drew
    Today at 08:19:29 PM
  • Gilly: Lol im soooo baseball dumb, wish i could learn it and know it like i do hockey
    Today at 08:20:56 PM
  • Orange Country: u know more baseball than I do hockey
    Today at 08:22:19 PM
  • Vollmernator: I picked 12 then 18 in 2nd round I like where I draft in BTL
    Today at 08:23:39 PM
  • Gilly: We should teach each other lol
    Today at 08:23:52 PM
  • Vollmernator: I'm more familar with then baseball
    Today at 08:24:29 PM
  • Orange Country: sounds good, ok what's the first rule bout fantasy hockey
    Today at 08:24:55 PM
  • Orange Country: oops I'm already bored
    Today at 08:25:00 PM
  • Lindner: lol
    Today at 08:25:29 PM
  • Vollmernator: I'm more familar with hockey than baseball but baseball is the 2nd sports i'nm familar with
    Today at 08:25:33 PM
  • Orange Country: no but seriously, not a bad idea Gills
    Today at 08:29:06 PM
  • Gilly: rofl
    Today at 08:29:10 PM
  • Ace: brenton check pm ;-)
    Today at 08:31:36 PM
  • Vollmernator: Where are the shortcuts for all logos
    Today at 08:35:52 PM
  • Vollmernator: Trying to decide on a logo
    Today at 08:36:04 PM

Forum Search