Author Topic: NO 1-yr Contracts in FNHL (FA's + extensions)  (Read 1453 times)

Offline snugerud

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :NE:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Re: NO 1-yr Contracts in FNHL (FA's + extensions)
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:19:38 AM »
you mean you read this FNHL contract rule differently ...

i'm certain there's no mention of 1yr contract in there. however there is mention of contract length being "non-variable" per each value range.  btw, there doesn't seem to be any 1 yr FA contract in DNHL (extensions in DNHL - ok, but not FA contracts).

also, ask a question in a new thread if you want me, contract cop, ex-commish's, roving commish, hf47 to have a better chance of seeing it. if a question is asked in a player's FA bidding thread, we might not see it or get to it very quickly.  :toast:

When our commissioner and contract cop are using "loopholes" then it rubs off on the rest of the league.; 

Any league I have been in the Non-variable refers to salary amounts ie. you cant offer 3m year one and 1 million in year two.  Not the contract lengths.  so i find that argument reaching a bit.

You are incorrect about DNHL,  below is the rules of DNHL, well written and no room for interpretation.

Contract Limits
Except for any contract inherited in 2011, all contracts must be no longer than five years. Also, for a given salary, all contracts have term limits (max years contract can be per the yearly salary) as provided below.

Salary - Max Years
$5m+ - 5 years (the overall limit)
$3.5 to $4.9m - 4 years
$2 to $3.4m - 3 years
$0 to $1.9m - 2 years

Contract Limits for Extensions
Contract extensions follow the contract maximum lengths as shown above as well as their own minimum standards.

Salary - Min & Max Years
$6.5m+ - 5 years (the overall limit)
$5 to $6.4m - 4 or 5 years
$3.5 to $4.9m - 3 or 4 years
$2 to $3.4m - 2 or 3 years
$0 to $1.9m - 1 or 2 years

In the end my rant here is not about whether we can do 1 yr contracts,( although I do find the system very limiting ) its regarding the way the rule is written and left open for interpretation .  You even commented yourself you asked the same question just last year so obviously you were reading it differently just like I did , you know read/understood it the same...

Just a little clarity needs to be written as in my example below.  Especially considering new rules ideas are being thrown around in this league like girls panties at a Justin Beiber concert.

Contract Limits
Except for any contract inherited in 2010, all contracts must be no longer than five years and no less than 2 years.  Also, for a given salary, all contacts (extension, FA) have term limits (maximum and minimum  years contract can be per the salary) as provided below.

Maximum and Minimum Salaries / Years (non-variable)
<= $1.4m, 2 years
$1.5m - $5.4m, 3 years
$5.5m - $7.9m, 4 years
>=$8m, 5 years (the overall limit)

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline thunderblade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
Pigs, when you edited the rule for off season extensions did you save the old rule? Can you post both so I can see it please. This off season extensions the way it is now worded undermines the integrity of the league in my opinion, lowering cap so you can acquire FA, BUNK, never was that way before. And while I am at it, this whole discussion of looking for loopholes in rules is laughable. This is a fun but very competitive hobby and there are people spending countless amount of hours scrutinizing and then manipulating and interpeting the rules for their own benefit. One year contracts, give it a rest. Who am I playing against here? A bunch of divorce lawyers.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline izaman3

• Legend
    • :DET-NHL:
    • :Michigan:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
When our commissioner and contract cop are using "loopholes" then it rubs off on the rest of the league.; 

As contract cop, it's my duty to make sure that GMs are following the rules. If anything loopholes exist it is because the way the rules have been written and interpreted. If we want things to change, then we need to edit the rules, fix wording, or propose new rules.

Right now, that's not my job, but I'm happy to discuss those things. As long as people are following the rules in place, that's mainly what I care about.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Drew

• Forum Administrator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 80
  • Forum Administrator
    • :TEN:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :EDM:
    • :Clemson:
    • :TOR:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »
I believe this is a simple edit. There is no mention of 1 year contracts being allowed but there is no mention of them not being allowed either.

We have contract limit ranges that for 2 year contracts go to 1.4m so why not just allow a 1 year contract if the limit is under that range as well. You won't see any 50m contract for 1 year because the contract limits won't allow it. The maximum you could see a 1 year contract for is 1.4m which is perfectly acceptable as a 1 year contract and not obscure by real NHL standards. There is no loophole when you go to re-sign as the most someone could save would be 1.2m.

In Backyard I don't have 1 year contracts stated in the rules but I allow them. I also allow if someone wants to take that 50m 1 year contract because all it will do is hurt their team for that season because they won't be able to field a team. Also it is very hard to sign a contract of say 10m for 1 year because someone will simply bid 12m on the guy and get him for 3 years at 4.0m instead.
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=15470.0
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Drew's Bio & Trophy Case

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - "Wayne Gretzky"

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 01:05:49 AM »
I believe this is a simple edit. There is no mention of 1 year contracts being allowed but there is no mention of them not being allowed either.

i hope you're kiddin' drew.

it's straight fwd in this case, there are no 1-yr contracts for FAs nor for extensions in 2012-13...

if a 1yr option is requested by the majority, then the majority needs to speak up and ask for it because it will then impact a # of other rules (when to extend on a 1yr FA deal, values of 1yr deals, ... at this moment i count 2-3 ppl who want a 1yr deal available. also, it would only be implemented for 2013-14 because there's no need to make rule changes on the fly in this case.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Florida Panthers ... link to team page

2023-24 FRANCHISE NHL PAYOUT TO CHAMPION ... :money: $530.00USD :money:
ONLY THE BEST OWNERS WANTED

Offline snugerud

• MVP
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :NE:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 07:37:07 AM »
i am not asking for the 1 yr contracts to be implemented.  i just think the rule should be more clear so as to not cause a confusion for new GMs coming into the league. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Drew

• Forum Administrator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 80
  • Forum Administrator
    • :TEN:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :EDM:
    • :Clemson:
    • :TOR:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »
i hope you're kiddin' drew.

it's straight fwd in this case, there are no 1-yr contracts for FAs nor for extensions in 2012-13...

if a 1yr option is requested by the majority, then the majority needs to speak up and ask for it because it will then impact a # of other rules (when to extend on a 1yr FA deal, values of 1yr deals, ... at this moment i count 2-3 ppl who want a 1yr deal available. also, it would only be implemented for 2013-14 because there's no need to make rule changes on the fly in this case.
What do you mean implemented, you are taking it away. I am about 95% sure there has in the past been 1 year contracts given out and there is no mention in the rules about them being allowed or not.

Your being very contradictory in your "not wanting to change rules on the fly". Really it is only some things you wish to change and some you don't wish to change at the moment or if it is something you remember from the previous year.

Here is one mention of 1 year contracts by joeshome:
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=17299.msg81892#msg81892

1 year contracts given out:
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=11662.msg49204#msg49204
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=10387.msg45986#msg45986
There are many many 1 year contracts given out as extensions as well, just give it a search.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Drew's Bio & Trophy Case

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - "Wayne Gretzky"

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 11:40:32 AM »
What do you mean implemented, you are taking it away. I am about 95% sure there has in the past been 1 year contracts given out and there is no mention in the rules about them being allowed or not.

Your being very contradictory in your "not wanting to change rules on the fly". Really it is only some things you wish to change and some you don't wish to change at the moment or if it is something you remember from the previous year.

Here is one mention of 1 year contracts by joeshome:
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=17299.msg81892#msg81892

1 year contracts given out:
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=11662.msg49204#msg49204
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=10387.msg45986#msg45986
There are many many 1 year contracts given out as extensions as well, just give it a search.

i'm surprised you're only jumping into the discussion now that 60% of free agency has been completed and after other discussions have been held on these pgs.

the discussion is good, however citing precedence only opens the door for other inconsistencies in different leagues, including this 1yr contract which wasn't applied consistently in the past. i recommend you post a poll on the FNHL home page with votes to be cast by reply (not radio buttons as anyone can click a radio). if a 1yr is requested, it will be implemented for 2013-14.

again, discussion is good but let's not make this a surpeme court case for a nice-to-have rule that doesn't adversely impact the league as a whole.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
aug23-12: note... i split this discussion out of the Ivan Telegin FA bidding thread given this topic's relevance. we'll move this thread to the FNHL home pg in couple of days. * also revised subject line.

thread now moved to FNHL home pg where it belongs, per note above.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »
Drew is correct, a mere mistake in the grammar.  I thought it was implied that there was no limit for the amount of years.  This was the original intent of the rule and why it was implemented that way in different circumstances.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

* FNHL Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Jwalkerjr88: @TheGoat what them falcons gonna do?
    Today at 04:59:13 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: @Thetitan packers?
    Today at 04:59:21 PM
  • indiansnation: Brent pm
    Today at 05:02:17 PM
  • Daddy: "To be the Man..You gotta beat the Man. Whooooooooo" -Nature Boy Ric Flair
    Today at 06:18:41 PM
  • TheGOAT: Cut me some slack. Literally went to the super bowl first year here. smh
    Today at 06:25:37 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for deals for today. Then will be working on spread sheets most of the day tomorrow as well so I will be around for any trade talks
    Today at 06:54:49 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: It wasnt an insult @TheGoat and if it was taken that way i apologize. It was more of motivation or a challenge. Im excited to see what you do
    Today at 06:55:56 PM
  • Daddy: Agreed @TheGoat... You beat my Championship team along the way and your brother beat my Dad.
    Today at 08:15:11 PM
  • Daddy: The LNL family as a whole are made Men. The Falcons are always "your" Falcons.
    Today at 08:16:04 PM
  • Daddy: You took the to a Superbowl and put foots to me to do it. I ain't calling you out. Pay no attention to jwalkerjr88 :rofl:
    Today at 08:19:03 PM
  • Daddy: them* (The Falcons). #Respect
    Today at 08:19:40 PM
  • Daddy: @TheGoat @BAB @Brent @papps. Youve proven you could beat me on an even playing field. My Father never did. I always beat him. I didn't beat yall. I got nothing but respect. :toth:
    Today at 08:23:48 PM
  • Daddy: Well in those title or playoff games i didnt beat you.
    Today at 08:25:47 PM
  • Daddy: I put foots to all but papps on the regular these days. ;)
    Today at 08:26:31 PM
  • Daddy: @INDIANABUC i would build you a statue if i could. If @IndianaBuc is in your league, he is probably whoopin yo ass.
    Today at 08:32:32 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I think I beat BUC a few times now
    Today at 08:39:00 PM
  • Daddy: Read Rules, access roster, activate ass whoopin mode #IndianaBuc. (Dont believe me? Go look. I bet he whoopin someone ass)
    Today at 08:39:34 PM
  • Daddy: Nobody wins all the time. But some people never lose if you know what i mean
    Today at 08:40:43 PM
  • Daddy: @Rhino7 promised me he would beat my Son. Listen Man. Beating jwalkerjr88 AINT NO SMALL FEAT. Rhino7 promised. And damn it. He delivered! Oh bless you sir. #heart-emoji
    Today at 08:44:12 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: @rhino took me out in the SB last yr
    Today at 08:45:54 PM
  • Daddy: Wasnt he undefeated? I believe he was undefeated at the time. AFC title game. (OUCH!) :rofl:
    Today at 08:45:55 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: me and rhino beat you and jwalkerjr88 that was some season we had
    Today at 08:46:14 PM
  • Daddy: Meaning @jwalkerjr88 was undefeated all last year. Man thats gotta sting.
    Today at 08:46:41 PM
  • Braves155: I think in NFL LIVE everyone is waiting to see the New Look Vikings. In full rebuild mode now, but I got loads of cap & 3 1sts this season.
    Today at 08:46:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i will never forget making my first Live SB. only to fall just short was heartbreaking but ill be back ik i will
    Today at 08:46:46 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah im still pissed at you. But to beat you 3 times in one year is asking a lot just like the real deal.
    Today at 08:47:23 PM
  • Daddy: The odds dont favor beating a really good football team x 3
    Today at 08:48:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I totally understand man. but i did tell u and i will continue to do so that im coming
    Today at 08:48:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: and if i lose i lost playing to best and full potential
    Today at 08:48:48 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im here for all the smoke this year
    Today at 08:49:24 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: NFL Live will be exciting to go for another run
    Today at 08:49:30 PM
  • Daddy: Both you and @TheGoat. I hope yall enjoyed your trip. Got to take in the lights and sounds. Cuz im due and im coming to collect. See you in September.
    Today at 08:50:11 PM
  • Braves155: Will be around for talks tonight
    Today at 08:50:16 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill see you in September but I will look forward to still being around late December
    Today at 08:51:51 PM
  • Braves155: Just settling in now, about to cook some dinner
    Today at 08:52:05 PM
  • Daddy: @Braves tries harder than anyone. Never afraid to take risks, never afraid to negotiate. Probably too easy going IMO. Talk about effort.. you talking @Braves155
    Today at 08:52:22 PM
  • Daddy: Any league i run you have a seat at the table if you want one.
    Today at 08:53:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: braves and i have made some good trades in past
    Today at 08:53:51 PM
  • Braves155: Daddy - Countless teams have inquired about Pacheco. I like the idea of building around him and the eventual 1.1 pick
    Today at 08:54:33 PM
  • Braves155: My D is coming together as well with some nice young pieces
    Today at 08:55:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: lmaooo i think i did ask abt him too braves
    Today at 08:55:13 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i totally understand u wanting to build w him
    Today at 08:55:32 PM
  • Daddy: Do YOUR thing @Braves, im a huge fan. It took Brian 12 years to become competitive. But man does Brian try hard.
    Today at 08:55:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah I was one of them that inquired as well before I moved my 3 first
    Today at 08:56:55 PM
  • Daddy: Effort > Talent
    Today at 08:57:07 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: some reason i am able to turn things in 1-2 yrs
    Today at 08:58:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i guess its my dilligence and patience
    Today at 08:58:43 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah I just sold my first year when taking over as I didnt have the roster. After my first season I ended up with 3 of the top 8 picks. Lots of luck and trades to be where I am going into year 3
    Today at 09:00:06 PM
  • Braves155: IN NFL LIVE a player with any type role on a team can contribute & add value. After the 1st week of FA look at the FA wire...there will only be scraps
    Today at 09:09:26 PM
  • Braves155: I also think this is a top-heavy, but deep Draft.
    Today at 09:10:21 PM