Author Topic: Proposal to change extension method  (Read 4837 times)

Offline jmtrops

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :NE:
    • :Blank:
    • :TBL:
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal to change extension method
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 10:46:38 AM »
ok so here is the down side. Im a team that wont make the playoffs this coming year and I will have 10 players to resign at the end of the year and assuming the prospect discount dont change I will be 3.6M over the cap. the biggest reason for this is I traded cap space this year and next year, 10M next year based on our current extension prices (which I would have 8.8M in cap space). this is the problem with these type of changes is 1 season is not enough time for me to adjust. Im not a top 3 team and struggle just to make the playoffs. Im still in favor of this change but if we had talked about this 1 month ago I would not have just traded 10M cap space for next year. and I might be the only one in this situation but everyone should apply this to there team and see what happens to there cap next year. if a lot of teams are going to be in the same cap problem as me then Im good with having to make what ever adjustments needed but if there are only 3 of us then maybe a compromise is needed for the transition.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline -BA-

• Legend
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :WAS-NHL:
    • :Michigan:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 10:51:39 AM »
I think this sounds great, we may need a need to work our a few minor details like what Jim stated, but I like it.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You go to the box. Two minutes by yourself and... you feel shame. You know... and then you get free."

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
  • Director of Media Relations
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 10:54:30 AM »
ok so here is the down side. Im a team that wont make the playoffs this coming year and I will have 10 players to resign at the end of the year and assuming the prospect discount dont change I will be 3.6M over the cap. the biggest reason for this is I traded cap space this year and next year, 10M next year based on our current extension prices (which I would have 8.8M in cap space). this is the problem with these type of changes is 1 season is not enough time for me to adjust. Im not a top 3 team and struggle just to make the playoffs. Im still in favor of this change but if we had talked about this 1 month ago I would not have just traded 10M cap space for next year. and I might be the only one in this situation but everyone should apply this to there team and see what happens to there cap next year. if a lot of teams are going to be in the same cap problem as me then Im good with having to make what ever adjustments needed but if there are only 3 of us then maybe a compromise is needed for the transition.
:iatp: I am in favour but let's not stampede into it for sure. Maybe push it a year.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL:  2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 Backyard NHL Stanley Cup Champion :STL-NHL:

Offline WestCoastExpress

• MVP
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
But if you want something really solid take the average of the best two of the last three years. Seems like something Excel can handle.

:iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline jmtrops

• Legend
    • :TBL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 11:08:30 AM »
I can adjust ok if I resign a bunch of the now but I would like to have an exception for the resign rule that if you resign early the value can not be lower than its current value. I have 2 of them, one would go from 4.8M to 4M and the other would go from 3.6M to 2.7M. doing these it will cut down my cap this year to 4.1M and will make me under the cap next year under the new system.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 11:29:09 AM »
Yes which is why an average of the last 3 years is best.

It doesn't make sense.  If a young player gets to appear in 20 games in his first year and struggles to produce, but then pops in his second year and puts up good numbers - his renewal shouldn't be an average of those 2 seasons, it should be based on his 2nd season. The numbers would be just plain silly.  Sure, there's outliers in the best of 2 year thing - but all in all it works out pretty well.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »
It doesn't make sense.  If a young player gets to appear in 20 games in his first year and struggles to produce, but then pops in his second year and puts up good numbers - his renewal shouldn't be an average of those 2 seasons, it should be based on his 2nd season. The numbers would be just plain silly.  Sure, there's outliers in the best of 2 year thing - but all in all it works out pretty well.
Already addressed that Rob. I'm at yes on your changes....have an open mind.

Use the greater of the two values for rookies that will be signed to prospect discounts, but the average for extension values.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL:  2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 Backyard NHL Stanley Cup Champion :STL-NHL:

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 11:33:22 AM »
Also the top 25 extension value example posted looks based on 2018-19 only and not the best of the two years. I've done an average of the same players for the last two years but can't get my chart to drop in nicely. Would love to see one of you excel wizards chart a weighted average for the last three years (avg of best two). My facility with excel is middling but I can manage it if I have to.       
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 11:36:12 AM »

Jim - could you do the math to tell me what your total cap hit would be if you extended all of your players under the current rules vs the cap hit extending all your players under the new rules?

I'd then like to compare you with a few of the top teams.  I have a feeling they will suffer more than you.  And if that's the case, then I'm still OK putting you all through this right away.  If we find there's a discrepancy and teams like yours suffer more than those at the top, then I might agree with your subsequent idea of allowing extensions now without the rule of matching the existing contract value - to let teams like yours get adjusted.

I'll run some numbers on a few other teams as well. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 11:38:12 AM »
Also the top 25 extension value example posted looks based on 2018-19 only and not the best of the two years. I've done an average of the same players for the last two years but can't get my chart to drop in nicely. Would love to see one of you excel wizards chart a weighted average for the last three years (avg of best two). My facility with excel is middling but I can manage it if I have to.    

That's one thing I forgot to point out - all of my extension values for comparisons sake are from 18/19 only.  I didn't feel like pulling prior numbers :/
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Guardians might bot draft great hitters but guardians have one of the best pitching farms in mlb
    April 30, 2024, 12:24:46 AM
  • indiansnation: And he was draft in10th round in 2023 draft
    April 30, 2024, 12:25:37 AM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE all that matters. I'd rather win the LIVE Championship than see the Phillies win the WS #Factz
    April 30, 2024, 12:26:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Thats why the vet gms pn this site do so good with their minors they spend alot of time reasearching
    April 30, 2024, 12:26:58 AM
  • Daddy: I did one. I watched the other. Im a doing kind of guy first.
    April 30, 2024, 12:27:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Well daddy dont get your hopes up this yr u ate not going to win it
    April 30, 2024, 12:27:37 AM
  • Daddy: You have to research now. We eliminated the rules that allow people to hijack prospects because they think you smart but they dont know chit.
    April 30, 2024, 12:29:11 AM
  • Daddy: You cant hide or be a poser. You gotta post up your own FAs and prospect finds.
    April 30, 2024, 12:29:51 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    April 30, 2024, 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    April 30, 2024, 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:17 AM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    April 30, 2024, 08:26:57 PM
  • Rhino7: You still in CCD?
    April 30, 2024, 09:21:41 PM
  • Braves155: No
    April 30, 2024, 10:44:49 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Hey Braves155:
    April 30, 2024, 10:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE has 44 teams declared. Great teams are available like Florida, Cal, Utah major college football programs are still available.
    Yesterday at 03:09:53 PM
  • Daddy: Sign up [link] to claim your favorite college program. Recruiting begins 6/1/24 @8PM EST
    Yesterday at 03:10:42 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE season update posts on profsl (individual posts) 2021=601 views >> 2022=690 views >> 2023=5000k views (insert eyes emoji)
    Yesterday at 05:00:29 PM
  • Daddy: Profsl aint TikTok. You post something here and it gets 5k views in a few months, thats major interest gents.
    Yesterday at 05:03:47 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for ay talks in any of the leagues im in
    Yesterday at 06:54:02 PM
  • Daddy: Yall be sneaking these fast baseball trades on us. :) Congratulations to both GMs.
    Yesterday at 07:57:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: tryna stay competitive
    Yesterday at 08:18:31 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, still TBD if trading my best player will pay off in the long run.
    Yesterday at 10:19:59 PM
  • Daddy: Two more trades dropped simultaneously.
    Yesterday at 11:54:44 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to all four GMs :toth:
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • dbreer23: I'm getting too old to keep up with all of these trades.
    Yesterday at 11:58:35 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah MLB is insane this year.
    Today at 12:04:09 AM
  • Daddy: You could always go back to drinking... We dont mind a few liquor induced gremlins on the SS ;)
    Today at 12:06:49 AM
  • dbreer23: I think I'm on the wagon permanently. Haven't touched a drop in months. Wasn't a conscious thing, just sort of happened.
    Today at 12:08:42 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations sir. I think. Life's too short for me. My days are numbered.
    Today at 12:11:44 AM
  • dbreer23: Death comes for us all in the end...
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: if anything saving the drinks for the weekend
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: saving the drinks for weekend
    Today at 12:13:08 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: got two games
    Today at 12:13:17 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: going to the AHL playoff game mikwake admirals vs texas stars sat and then UTexas baseball vs oklahoma st sunday
    Today at 12:13:57 AM
  • Daddy: Death can kiss my no no zone.
    Today at 12:14:37 AM
  • dbreer23: :rofl:
    Today at 12:15:14 AM
  • Daddy: I smoke, i drink, im supposed to stop but i caint, i howl at the moon and bury my bone places its hard to dig it out of.
    Today at 12:29:22 AM
  • Daddy: If not for fantasy sports... Hmmm. I think i would be a male dancer. :)
    Today at 12:30:52 AM
  • Daddy: Another new trade just ruined a clean board. Lol  congratulations to both GMs :toth: looks like i can keep my dance outfit in the attic.
    Today at 12:40:22 AM
  • Daddy: Damn... She's a Biggun
    Today at 12:40:57 AM
  • Yeagg: That's why we made the trade. That outfit can stay hidden forever
    Today at 12:43:17 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 12:46:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i can deff say this has been the most active week in MLB live in a long while
    Today at 12:47:31 AM
  • Daddy: Season is a month old. Its been a busy month. Ask the professor.
    Today at 12:51:15 AM
  • Daddy: Thats the whole point. 30 teams 30 dudes running them. Everyday lurking & looking to build.
    Today at 12:52:50 AM