Author Topic: Trading rules discussion  (Read 1226 times)

Offline WestCoastExpress

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :NE:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :Blank:
    • :Canada:
    • :TOR:
    • View Profile
Re: Trading rules discussion
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
I think when you've been in the league a long time, your not voting is just indicative of an approval.  So as long as there's enough time for everyone to see a trade posted, it should just pass unless it has vetoes.  72 hours is plenty of time.  Also, a reminder to people when trades are posted via PM is also a good policy.

I'm new here, but not new to trading and vetoes and such.

Realistically, if a trade is bad bad bad, there will be a lot of people that chime in about it.
As Chrisetc said, not voting can often be a sign of approval. If something stands out that we don't like, we'll take the time to say what's on our mind. If it's okay, we couldn't be bothered. From what I've seen on here, when a veto goes down, pretty well all of the other GM's are in agreement that the deal needs to be re-worked. If the trade is ok, sometimes only half or less of the TC actually replies with an approval.

If everyone were active, I would say half of the remaining GM's would have to veto it for it to be a vetoed trade. So in this league's case, 7 of the remaining 14 GM's would have to veto (taking out the 2 GMs making the trade of course).
That said, it seems this league isn't overly active on the voting on trades front (from my short 1-week stint here, with the 4 trades sitting on the board).

So with that said, I'm kind of with blkhwkfn in the sense of thinking bigger picture:

(1) Out of all the votes cast on a trade, majority rules. With the caveat that a tie goes to a veto.
Only problem here is that as mentioned, some people who are indifferent or think a trade is fine, sometimes just don't vote.

(2) Or a set number of of the league (a third) would have to veto. So 5 out of the 14 GM's.
2 people, or even 3 for that matter, having an issue with a trade seems like a low number.
It should be a significant portion of the league.

Perhaps a 48 hour window though instead of 24 hours, as we're all in different time zones and have varying busy schedules. 1 day could be tight, sometime I'm not on here for 20-hours at a time and I'm sure I'm not the only one... But 2 full days is plenty of time.
*And that 48-hour clock starts when one of the league mod's sends a PM out to everyone in the league that there's a trade that needs to be looked at on on the Transactions board.
(Mod could easily change the title of the thread stating expiry date/time also, so it's clear).

At the end of the day, there's really no "correct" formula in free fantasy leagues for how trades should be judged, and accepted or vetoed.

We do have to remember that it's free fantasy we're talking about here too. This isn't life or death, and we're not messing with athletes' actual lives and families here.

Offline blkhwkfn

• All-Star
    • :OAK-NFL:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Wisconsin:
    • :CHE:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »
I'm new here, but not new to trading and vetoes and such.

Realistically, if a trade is bad bad bad, there will be a lot of people that chime in about it.
As Chrisetc said, not voting can often be a sign of approval. If something stands out that we don't like, we'll take the time to say what's on our mind. If it's okay, we couldn't be bothered. From what I've seen on here, when a veto goes down, pretty well all of the other GM's are in agreement that the deal needs to be re-worked. If the trade is ok, sometimes only half or less of the TC actually replies with an approval.

If everyone were active, I would say half of the remaining GM's would have to veto it for it to be a vetoed trade. So in this league's case, 7 of the remaining 14 GM's would have to veto (taking out the 2 GMs making the trade of course).
That said, it seems this league isn't overly active on the voting on trades front (from my short 1-week stint here, with the 4 trades sitting on the board).

So with that said, I'm kind of with blkhwkfn in the sense of thinking bigger picture:

(1) Out of all the votes cast on a trade, majority rules. With the caveat that a tie goes to a veto.
Only problem here is that as mentioned, some people who are indifferent or think a trade is fine, sometimes just don't vote.

(2) Or a set number of of the league (a third) would have to veto. So 5 out of the 14 GM's.
2 people, or even 3 for that matter, having an issue with a trade seems like a low number.
It should be a significant portion of the league.

Perhaps a 48 hour window though instead of 24 hours, as we're all in different time zones and have varying busy schedules. 1 day could be tight, sometime I'm not on here for 20-hours at a time and I'm sure I'm not the only one... But 2 full days is plenty of time.
*And that 48-hour clock starts when one of the league mod's sends a PM out to everyone in the league that there's a trade that needs to be looked at on on the Transactions board.
(Mod could easily change the title of the thread stating expiry date/time also, so it's clear).

At the end of the day, there's really no "correct" formula in free fantasy leagues for how trades should be judged, and accepted or vetoed.

We do have to remember that it's free fantasy we're talking about here too. This isn't life or death, and we're not messing with athletes' actual lives and families here.
:iatp:  Dilly Dilly
Can't we all just get along?
Rodney King

Offline Jonathan

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 103
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :CAR-NHL:
    • :PHI:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 11:38:36 PM »
48 hours in season seems the right way to go. 

Seems like a small group (4-5) are actually voting. I'm not quite sure why its all the new GM's voting and none of the guys who have been around. Seems like it should be the other way around.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:43:27 PM by Jonathan »

Offline blkhwkfn

• All-Star
    • :OAK-NFL:
    • :Wisconsin:
    • :CHE:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 07:42:24 AM »
48 hours in season seems the right way to go. 

Seems like a small group (4-5) are actually voting. I'm not quite sure why its all the new GM's voting and none of the guys who have been around. Seems like it should be the other way around.
:iatp:
Can't we all just get along?
Rodney King

Offline Anthony

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :CHI:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 07:31:23 PM »
Good discussion going. We will move forward with making a change after baseball free agency is finished. It's been a rush getting that going over the last few weeks so when it's done, I want to use that down time to make any rule/procedural changes.
:win: Title Town 2011/12 Stanley Cup Champion

:win: Dynasty NHL 2012/13 Stanley Cup Champion

Offline chrisetc21

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 08:20:16 PM »
I think one thing is clear to me in that we need a trade deadline before the end of the regular season.  Perhaps two weeks before the end.  Teams loading up with players right at the end of the entire season is always something that has seemed like an odd way to do things.  The season should matter, not just have these huge deals happen right at the end that change the balance of the season.
:BOS: 2014 World Series Champion - Title Town
:HOU: 2014 World Series Champion - American Baseball Legion
:GS: 2014-2015 NBA Finals Champion - Free Market Kings
:HOU: 2015 World Series Champion - American Baseball Legion
:HOU: 2017 World Series Champion - American Baseball Legion
:HOU: 2017 World Series Champion - Armchair Fantasy Baseball
:HOU-NFL: 2017 Super Bowl Champion - The Gridiron Franchise
:HOU-NBA3: 2017-2018 NBA Finals Champion - Title Town
:HOU: 2018 World Series Champion - Armchair Fantasy Baseball
:HOU: 2018 World Series Champion - Title Town
:HOU-NFL3: 2018 Super Bowl Champion -Title Town
*Special thanks to all my imaginary fake accounts*

Offline WestCoastExpress

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »
I think one thing is clear to me in that we need a trade deadline before the end of the regular season.  Perhaps two weeks before the end.  Teams loading up with players right at the end of the entire season is always something that has seemed like an odd way to do things.  The season should matter, not just have these huge deals happen right at the end that change the balance of the season.

While I somewhat agree, but also kind of like that the deadline is right up until the playoffs.
Allows more teams to really figure out if they're buyers or sellers, which generally gets more trades going.

If more teams are "in the hunt" for playoffs, and the trade deadline is too early, then no one's going to make moves.
As it is there weren't really many trades, which leads me to believe that trade deadline right before playoffs is actually quite fine.

If teams want to sell young players and prospects for veterans before the playoffs, I see no reason to stop them. Getting an extra guy or two isn't going to necessarily make or break a team's playoff run. In fantasy playoffs, anything can happen.

From what I've seen, the more time to make trades in here, the better. Keeps people a little more engaged for an extra week or two at the very least.

**FYI - speaking solely for the hockey portion of this league

Offline chrisetc21

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »
While I somewhat agree, but also kind of like that the deadline is right up until the playoffs.
Allows more teams to really figure out if they're buyers or sellers, which generally gets more trades going.

If more teams are "in the hunt" for playoffs, and the trade deadline is too early, then no one's going to make moves.
As it is there weren't really many trades, which leads me to believe that trade deadline right before playoffs is actually quite fine.

If teams want to sell young players and prospects for veterans before the playoffs, I see no reason to stop them. Getting an extra guy or two isn't going to necessarily make or break a team's playoff run. In fantasy playoffs, anything can happen.

From what I've seen, the more time to make trades in here, the better. Keeps people a little more engaged for an extra week or two at the very least.

**FYI - speaking solely for the hockey portion of this league

If after several months you're not "in the hunt" with two weeks left then you're not in the hunt.   :o

:thumbsup:
:BOS: 2014 World Series Champion - Title Town
:HOU: 2014 World Series Champion - American Baseball Legion
:GS: 2014-2015 NBA Finals Champion - Free Market Kings
:HOU: 2015 World Series Champion - American Baseball Legion
:HOU: 2017 World Series Champion - American Baseball Legion
:HOU: 2017 World Series Champion - Armchair Fantasy Baseball
:HOU-NFL: 2017 Super Bowl Champion - The Gridiron Franchise
:HOU-NBA3: 2017-2018 NBA Finals Champion - Title Town
:HOU: 2018 World Series Champion - Armchair Fantasy Baseball
:HOU: 2018 World Series Champion - Title Town
:HOU-NFL3: 2018 Super Bowl Champion -Title Town
*Special thanks to all my imaginary fake accounts*

Offline WestCoastExpress

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 08:58:28 PM »
If after several months you're not "in the hunt" with two weeks left then you're not in the hunt.

Again, just speaking for hockey in my short time, but the standings were pretty bunched up for making playoffs.

The last 2 weeks of matchups made or broke some teams making and missing the playoffs.

2 teams had the same records as me and missed the playoffs, while I'm in the 4th seed right now.

I find that if teams aren't making playoffs, they're (hopefully) trying to get as many picks and prospects as they can to rebuild their teams up (ie. NYI franchise).
If you take that away from them with a trade deadline too far away from playoffs, they have literally zero reason to be on the hockey site until the summer for the draft and FA.
That's a long time to have off ... To lose interest in the hockey team all together and forget about it.

I don't really see it being an issue in the hockey league. If anything it benefits the few active hockey managers who are making trades - more so the ones who want to rebuild up their teams gaining the young assets.

Maybe it's a bigger issue in the other sports leagues here though. But there were what, 3 trades close to the deadline in NHL, and from what I've heard, those were the first 3 trades in a really long time in the hockey portion of this league too.

Offline Jonathan

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 103
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :CAR-NHL:
    • :PHI:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 12:19:03 AM »
I'd propose a month before playoffs. In RL its actually more than a month.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Brent: What's up guys?
    October 17, 2019, 12:35:17 AM
  • Vik: Hey Brent
    October 17, 2019, 12:40:32 AM
  • Vik: I found new Hornets GM so back to full again in BOD
    October 17, 2019, 12:40:54 AM
  • Brent: Awesome.  I got someone to join and it looks like he is going to take the Broncos in NFLC.
    October 17, 2019, 12:48:18 AM
  • Brent: That would make the AFC West complete with 4 GMs.  NFC South has 4 GMs.  NFC West is 3/4, AFC South is 2/4, NFC East is 2/4, AFC East is 3/4 and NFC North is 3/4.
    October 17, 2019, 12:50:52 AM
  • Brent: AFC North is 3/4.
    October 17, 2019, 12:53:01 AM
  • Vik: Nice, we can hopefully fill rest come offseason
    October 17, 2019, 01:19:17 AM
  • Daddy: What would you give up for Ramsey @Brian?
    October 17, 2019, 01:49:51 AM
  • Daddy: Khalil Mack or Laremy Tunsel even? What is fair value in your opinion?
    October 17, 2019, 01:50:50 AM
  • Daddy: Would you trade Frank Ragnow & Noah Fant for Jalen Ramsey? (Be careful, ive seen a lot of your trades)
    October 17, 2019, 02:01:41 AM
  • Daddy: I ask because I see our picks somewhere between 20-32 and those 2 guys were drafted @ #20 in 2018 & 2019 respectively. Ramsey is imo the best at what he does. Are they?
    October 17, 2019, 02:04:28 AM
  • indiansnation: Na im keeping him
    October 17, 2019, 09:52:12 AM
  • Daddy: Exactly. Just like Bob Barker. The Price is Right.
    October 17, 2019, 11:04:11 AM
  • Mets Donations Accepted: Brian you’re OTC
    October 17, 2019, 11:51:56 AM
  • indiansnation: Pick is in
    October 17, 2019, 01:01:15 PM
  • Vik: Get home and turn on tv 1st thing I see is Mahomes with potentially serious knee injury
    October 17, 2019, 10:22:57 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah thats no good.
    October 17, 2019, 11:25:15 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy rumor is phillies will make decision on coach by next thursday
    October 17, 2019, 11:34:10 PM
  • indiansnation: Im hearing girardi is getting serious about phillies job
    October 17, 2019, 11:34:55 PM
  • indiansnation: I am so ov rd r lbj as a plyer and person after i heard he is kissing china ass
    October 17, 2019, 11:36:45 PM
  • indiansnation: Already got rid of my jersey of him
    October 17, 2019, 11:37:17 PM
  • Daddy: Doesnt matter who we get as manager if we dont get some Pitching.
    Yesterday at 12:48:51 AM
  • Daddy: Phillies can do better, so can the Flyers. It sucks when your team makes poor personnel moves and doesnt draft well.
    Yesterday at 12:50:52 AM
  • Daddy: 76ers process is the way to go. Ive got big hopes for them. The present and future.
    Yesterday at 12:51:58 AM
  • Daddy: My Rams also are a team built for present & future so im happy there as well, although we need to show improve
    Yesterday at 12:53:11 AM
  • Daddy: How bout you? Cavs, Indians, Browns, & idk who you got in hockey? How are your teams coming along in your own opinion?
    Yesterday at 12:54:32 AM
  • indiansnation: Cavs are rebuilding, indians cutting back payroll,browns are the browns, columbus bluejackets are probably only team that could make playoffs this yr
    Yesterday at 07:16:22 AM
  • indiansnation: Sad day when u cant send your kid to school because school gets a threat on the kids
    Yesterday at 07:19:19 AM
  • Thecliff: :agent: 1stG Game 6 highlights [link] Enjoy  :toth:
    Yesterday at 09:47:45 AM
  • Thecliff: :judge: First & Goal has 2 dead teams (Detroit & Jacksonville)
    Yesterday at 09:48:49 AM
  • Daddy: I forgot about the Blue Jackets. You ride n die with them like you do the rest?
    Yesterday at 10:08:02 AM
  • indiansnation: Yep our only chance for a championship
    Yesterday at 03:34:50 PM
  • Daddy: Indians are strong, Browns improving and Cavs already delivered. Columbus has a very good team
    Yesterday at 05:48:55 PM
  • Jonathan: best hope is Ohio State
    Yesterday at 08:06:52 PM
  • Daddy: Apparently the MLB has put forth the idea of reducing the number of minor-league teams by more than a quarter (42 teams would be cut in the reported proposal). Additionally, MLB's proposal would reduce the draft to 20 rounds, reduce the number of contracted players in each organization, and alter the structure -- with some affiliates moving up or down in level.
    Yesterday at 09:54:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Trying to pay players in minors more noney and cut down the cost of it also. I think once these moves are done i can see mlb doing a baseball realinement for mlb teams also
    Yesterday at 11:04:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Im hearing mlb might let rays move to vegas within next 2 seasons
    Yesterday at 11:06:21 PM
  • blkhwkfn: Vegas Rays? Hmmmmm.....Sun Rays
    Today at 12:26:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Also hearing oakland interested also
    Today at 12:28:10 AM
  • indiansnation: Papps pm
    Today at 12:28:39 AM
  • indiansnation: Looking for vets in busch league hit me up
    Today at 12:33:20 AM
  • indiansnation: Yeagg pm
    Today at 01:16:21 AM
  • indiansnation: Blk pm
    Today at 01:36:32 AM
  • Daddy: Unfortunately for Oakland they have lost the Warriors, they will lose the Raiders, and the As are wanting to stay but more likely they will lose them too.
    Today at 12:15:12 PM
  • Daddy: Rays or As will end up in Vegas.
    Today at 12:16:08 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey daddy how u doung
    Today at 03:19:09 PM
  • indiansnation: Doing
    Today at 03:19:29 PM
  • Daddy: No complaints. Work promotion and lots of travel.
    Today at 03:23:30 PM
  • Daddy: Life is good.
    Today at 03:23:46 PM
  • Thecliff: :judge: NASCAR TCRL Race 32 preview [link]
    Today at 09:20:55 PM