* UCI WorldTour

Author Topic: Brainstorming: 2nd division, relegations  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Garfield

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :PHX:
    • :ARS:
    • View Profile
Brainstorming: 2nd division, relegations
« on: February 22, 2016, 12:46:07 PM »
Facts:

1. As you might remember, for 2015 we had four late sign-ups, so a Pro-Conti division was created.
Possibly this year the same will happen: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=255651.msg1149598#msg1149598

2. As we're doing quite nicely activity-wise, there is a chance we'll keep growing.

3. Some people raised valid concerns of growing inflation if we keep pumping more money into the top division by including more and more teams.

Proposed solution:

A fixed size of the top division (e.g. the current 21) accompanied by a full-blown Pro-Conti division with a snake draft around January 1. Bottom 2-4 teams relegated, top 2-4 teams (N-1 at most) promoted. (Plus a chance to remain in the top division in case of abandoned teams.)

Small wrinkle: I'm guessing I can't implement it right now, since Ace is employing some kind of sneaky tanking. Starting next season?
Leagues I run: Advanced NBA, Cycling, All-Europe Football

Offline Joelsim

• All-Star
    • :BOL:
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorming: 2nd division, relegations
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 05:14:12 PM »
Difficult to answer that question until we know how many are interested for next year. I'm definitely in for next year, can anyone else say that as a 100% definite now? If so, say...

Happy with a pro-conti this year, obviously.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:18:10 PM by Joelsim »

Offline davy duck

• All-Star
    • :AND:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »
Indeed a problem.
And very difficult to answer.

Give me some time to think about. I got some primary ideas, but need to sleep about it ...
But the not-knowing of the number of teams is the challenge.
We need a good solution for 35 teams and for 20 teams ...

Offline Teton

• Legend
    • :CHI:
    • :POR:
    • :OregonState:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:17:17 AM »
Facts:

1. As you might remember, for 2015 we had four late sign-ups, so a Pro-Conti division was created.
Possibly this year the same will happen: http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=255651.msg1149598#msg1149598

2. As we're doing quite nicely activity-wise, there is a chance we'll keep growing.

3. Some people raised valid concerns of growing inflation if we keep pumping more money into the top division by including more and more teams.

Proposed solution:

A fixed size of the top division (e.g. the current 21) accompanied by a full-blown Pro-Conti division with a snake draft around January 1. Bottom 2-4 teams relegated, top 2-4 teams (N-1 at most) promoted. (Plus a chance to remain in the top division in case of abandoned teams.)

Small wrinkle: I'm guessing I can't implement it right now, since Ace is employing some kind of sneaky tanking. Starting next season?

My mistakes and learning curve this year may have me relegated (bottom 2-4) next year. I hope not! Hopefully, I get a little lucky this year and finish off the bottom. Whatever happens, I'm in next year!!!! I have been cutting back on Football and Baseball leagues to focus on cycling. I am enjoying it!
Quick Ardennes 2019  - 1st
Cyclopaths 2018 1st
Quick Vuelta 2018  1st
Quick Tour 2018  1st
Quick Giro 2018 - 2nd
Quick Ardennes 2018  - 1st
Rainbow Cup 2017 - 2nd
Quick Cobbles 2016 - 1st
Rainbow Cup 2016 - 1st

Offline oliveira

• All-Star
    • :FCP:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
I think that we shouldn't implement new rules with consequences as relegations once the anual game has started. If we fix the WT at 21, promotions should occur as we have withdrawls.

Then, if some teams stay at ProConti level, we woud have a promotions/relegations system in 2017. But, in 2017, the Pro Conti teams could have access to the general draft with a reduced budget - like 2500 - to fill the 30 spots. That would reduce inflation impact and keep everybody in the same boat.

And a good bonus for ProConti teams to keep the focus could be the possibility, until Australian NC ou TDU, to extend 2 year contracts to 3 year contracts. So they have to balance the promotion objective with the making of a nice team once they get in WT. As an exemple, to snatch a guy like MA Lopez Moreno for 430k for the next 3 years could be the beginning of a very strong team in 2 or 3 years.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 10:50:59 AM by oliveira »

Offline Joelsim

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 07:17:02 PM »
I think that we shouldn't implement new rules with consequences as relegations once the anual game has started. If we fix the WT at 21, promotions should occur as we have withdrawls.

Then, if some teams stay at ProConti level, we woud have a promotions/relegations system in 2017. But, in 2017, the Pro Conti teams could have access to the general draft with a reduced budget - like 2500 - to fill the 30 spots. That would reduce inflation impact and keep everybody in the same boat.

And a good bonus for ProConti teams to keep the focus could be the possibility, until Australian NC ou TDU, to extend 2 year contracts to 3 year contracts. So they have to balance the promotion objective with the making of a nice team once they get in WT. As an exemple, to snatch a guy like MA Lopez Moreno for 430k for the next 3 years could be the beginning of a very strong team in 2 or 3 years.

Very interesting thought in principle, although I feel that teams which do become vacant could possibly benefit the whole league if they were emptied and those riders came back on the market. For instance Joseph's riders would all be available again next year.

Offline davy duck

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 07:59:02 AM »
Some brainstorming:

I was thinking more or less in the same direction as Oliveira.

First important thing for me is that everybody is in the same boat.
An important consequence of that is inflation. But I don't care. See it like a random factor that changes every year. IRL there is also inflation. The one year several teams quit, and there are a lot of free cyclists. Other years vice versa.

I would keep Pro Tour Division with 20 teams. I think relegations are needed. It's also a bit regretting or dangerous. Having very bad luck like Degenkolb, or having a rider who has an off-season like Kittel last year. On the other hand, contracting a rider for more than 1000$ a year is taking the risk your result depends on that one rider. So I think no mercy is needed there.
I would do it the hard way. Last 4 teams relegate. A milder way is that the last team relegates, and the 3 last ďaverage over the last 2 seasonsĒ relegate. Best four contiís promote then.
Off course I am aware that we have a problem for this year. So I would say that the 21 GMís of this year automatically go  Protour next year. And relegations start in season 2017.

Everyone is fishing in the same pool as I said, but Conti-teams have a budget of 1500$ for 20 riders. And they ride a different calendar. I would suggest they ride all the races that are not in the calendar for protour. That way other riders become more interesting. F.e. riders like Pallini.
As a plus they could have first choice in drawing the neoís. 1 draw, 1 neo per team.

This context is limited to 30 ŗ 35 teams I think in total. With more teams itís not doable to fish in the same pool.
Some extra features.
-   Contiteams may starting to bid from 0$. So in an extreme case, they can have a team of 19 riders with salary 0$ and one 1500$. But be aware that they donít participate in the world tour races, only in the lower categorie races.
-   When a team relegates, al his riders are fired and come available on the market.
-   When a team moves up to Protour, they keep their contracts over more years.

Offline Canto

• All-Star
    • :USC:
    • :MUD:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:43:47 AM »
As a potential new Pro Conti owner, I am of course for the relegation/promotion system.
Davy's systems for contract, draft and Schedule seem good (races limited to 2.1 and 1.1 ?).
To keep some extra motivation for this year Conti's team, if some owners of World Tour quit, it could be possible to have a promotion (to get to a full 20 teams), with their riders going to redraft. I think having at least one promotion this year will be better to give more interest to Conti's owner, end of 2017 is a long way...

Offline davy duck

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 08:58:38 AM »
As a potential new Pro Conti owner, I am of course for the relegation/promotion system.
Davy's systems for contract, draft and Schedule seem good (races limited to 2.1 and 1.1 ?).
To keep some extra motivation for this year Conti's team, if some owners of World Tour quit, it could be possible to have a promotion (to get to a full 20 teams), with their riders going to redraft. I think having at least one promotion this year will be better to give more interest to Conti's owner, end of 2017 is a long way...

Definetely agree in giving a goal to the conti's this year. If no GM of world tour quits this year, 1 conti promotes and we have 22GM's in 2017. Then you can relegate 5 teams and promote 4 teams for 2 year until you are at 20 GM's again in ProTour. If a ProTour GM quits, 1 more conti can promote.

Offline Joelsim

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 04:05:25 PM »
On a slightly different note.

When did Joseph last do anything? If he isn't involved can Canto take over his squad?

Then perhaps he could sell someone and buy a few riders etc etc.

Ace has a bit of cash too so it could get the market going a little.

Thoughts?

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: to many eird losses today
    October 14, 2019, 01:43:37 AM
  • indiansnation: shure hell didnt think dallas was going to loose to jets
    October 14, 2019, 01:43:57 AM
  • Brent: Lots of individuals on Dallas.  If they pay Dak the $40M/yr that he wants,that will be the end of them.
    October 14, 2019, 01:45:58 AM
  • Yeagg: Dak has been playing well
    October 14, 2019, 01:49:03 AM
  • indiansnation: i agree with brent he is good but not worth that kind of money
    October 14, 2019, 01:53:50 AM
  • Brent: He's not $40M/yr good.  they they will have 20% of their cap tied up in one position.
    October 14, 2019, 01:54:56 AM
  • Yeagg: Honestly idk BooYah! about football. I just play fantasy football for fun
    October 14, 2019, 01:56:44 AM
  • Yeagg: I'm still trying to figure out how I have Dak Prescott, LeVeon Bell, Austin Ekeler, Phillip Lindsay, DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Mike Williams, AJ Green, Darren Waller, Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, Khalil Mack, and Blake Martinez on one of my fantasy teams and I am 3-3
    October 14, 2019, 01:59:13 AM
  • indiansnation: yeagg wait till aj green comes back he will help your team so much
    October 14, 2019, 02:01:04 AM
  • indiansnation: u got a very good team yeagg
    October 14, 2019, 02:01:28 AM
  • Brent: Same concept especially if you consider NFLC.  The NFL salary cap is the same as our $188.2M year.  The difference is RL football you have to pay offensive lineman and most teams carry 6-8 with left tackle being about the highest paid non QB position.  That was until recently, but they still get paid.  So if you pay your QB $40M/yr, your LT $15M/yr and the rest of your line a total of about $25-35M year, that could be $90M on 6-7 players.  You still have to field all of your skill positions and defense for the other $100M.
    October 14, 2019, 02:01:46 AM
  • Yeagg: I should be better than a .500 team
    October 14, 2019, 02:02:00 AM
  • Brent: Yeah, I have a couple redraft leagues where I should be better than I am.
    October 14, 2019, 02:02:36 AM
  • Yeagg: Isn't that where drafting comes in handy
    October 14, 2019, 02:02:49 AM
  • Brent: Exactly
    October 14, 2019, 02:03:34 AM
  • Yeagg: I was referring to the cap space comment in case you didn't know
    October 14, 2019, 02:04:38 AM
  • indiansnation: i think its harder guessing what yound guys will produce in nfl than baseball
    October 14, 2019, 02:05:31 AM
  • Brent: The Cowboys got lucky with La'ell Colllins.  He was 1st round talent, but fell out of the draft to UDFA due to false allegations that he was cleared of. So they got one of if not the best OT from that draft for peanuts.  Eventually he will need to be paid.
    October 14, 2019, 02:06:28 AM
  • Brent: Yeah, the draft is huge and also hitting on UDFAs.  Teams have to develop and then keep their own talent or they'll go broke and end up in salary cap hell.
    October 14, 2019, 02:07:09 AM
  • Yeagg: So basically just like baseball
    October 14, 2019, 02:17:10 AM
  • indiansnation: yep nfl u gotta watch how much u pay look at browns they are going to have that problem in 2021 they have alot of good tallent thats going to need to get paid.
    October 14, 2019, 02:17:13 AM
  • Yeagg: And no way Brian. Baseball has 40 rounds and still most of those guys never even sniff the MLB
    October 14, 2019, 02:17:33 AM
  • Yeagg: More 1st round picks are bust than even play a full season
    October 14, 2019, 02:18:02 AM
  • Brent: They also have between now and then to figure out who will be resigned and who will be replaced and don't they still have quite a few 1st round picks between now and then?
    October 14, 2019, 02:24:21 AM
  • indiansnation: Hey if u have a top notch gm with a great scouting staff u can make any player u draft be great. Look at Boston their minors sick why is that because they suck at drafting. Know look at Tampa and indians and miami they have pretty dang good minors especially I diane look at who they had pitching this year bauer got traded, and they lost 2 of their sp most. Of the yr
    October 14, 2019, 03:45:28 PM
  • Thecliff: :agent: Buckets Of Dimes (BOD) webpage on the Internet [link] ENJOY  :toth:
    October 14, 2019, 10:30:44 PM
  • Brent: Brian, I was talking football.  I think you were talking baseball.
    October 14, 2019, 10:35:26 PM
  • Thecliff: :judge: Remember THE LEAGUE? well, that league is doing great at fantrax and has many members here are still GM of teams [link]
    Yesterday at 03:58:12 AM
  • Geezer66: What’s up Fellas! Any football teams with openings?
    Yesterday at 09:15:38 AM
  • Brent: Yes, NFLC has quite a few openings.  I'll PM you.
    Yesterday at 09:18:29 AM
  • Brent: NFL Countdown
    Yesterday at 09:19:08 AM
  • blkhwkfn: Might be a couple in The Gridiron and Title town (4 sport league)
    Yesterday at 09:19:56 AM
  • Brent: blkhwkfn, it's Saints vs Bears this week.
    Yesterday at 09:22:54 AM
  • Geezer66: Ok thanks! Let me know for the Gridiron also
    Yesterday at 09:58:58 AM
  • Brent: Geezer, I sent you a PM.
    Yesterday at 10:04:19 AM
  • indiansnation: Morning guys
    Yesterday at 10:13:30 AM
  • indiansnation: Welcome to site geezer
    Yesterday at 10:13:49 AM
  • Vik: Welcome Geezer
    Yesterday at 10:52:17 AM
  • indiansnation: Vik whats up
    Yesterday at 01:41:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Geezer pm
    Yesterday at 01:41:29 PM
  • indiansnation: Flashg
    Yesterday at 01:44:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Flash pm
    Yesterday at 01:44:22 PM
  • Vik: Not much Brian, just griding at work
    Yesterday at 01:48:53 PM
  • Daddy: Today was a good day. Hopefully more good then bad are on the horizon.
    Yesterday at 10:23:34 PM
  • Daddy: @Brian our teams made a trade together like it was you and I trading.
    Yesterday at 10:25:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Browns didnt want him on team so atleast we got a pick for him. We were talking about cutting him
    Today at 12:30:39 AM
  • Thecliff: :judge: 1stG completed wepage updates to present date [link]
    Today at 02:29:18 AM
  • Daddy: Yeah raised a red flag for me to get one of your olineman but since we played him i guessed we knew what we were doing.
    Today at 10:16:32 AM
  • Daddy: You think the Browns want the other 4 starters or do they want to cut them too?
    Today at 10:20:11 AM
  • indiansnation: The guy u got wasnt working out for us thats all
    Today at 05:46:04 PM