* UCI WorldTour

Author Topic: Call me crazy (aka additional leagues brainstorming)  (Read 12904 times)

Offline Joelsim

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :BOL:
    • View Profile
Re: Call me crazy (aka additional leagues brainstorming)
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »
For some structure: a reminder of (now numbered) potential 2019 changes currently being discussed, plus a new one at the bottom:

1. 1-year contracts for 1st-rounders

My opinion: undecided, but I can see why it came up. After some years we've all become experts. This season :Lampre: Luis destroyed us, but teams 2-10 all finished in that 7300-8300 range. The season before that, the two teams on top of the rankings had Ewan and Gaviria as neos, while no fewer than 7 teams right behind them finished within mere 700 points. To give one of those teams 2 free years of the next superstar is like Christmas and Easter together.

2. 2-year contracts for 2nd-rounders

My opinion: probably unnecessary, it's a sheer lottery. None of us have ever heard of Patrick Müller, Simon Sellier, William Barta, Nicola Conci, Damien Touze, Giovanni Carboni, Matteo Fabbro, Corentin Ermenault, Bram Welten, Valentin Madouas, or Nathan van Hooydonck. We cannot know if they're good enough to become successful pros. Their bosses don't know if they're good enough to become successful pros. They don't know themselves if they're good enough to become successful pros! Also, it's irrelevant that they mostly sign 2-year contracts IRL - this is still a puny fantasy game. And passing remains an option.

3. Snake draft order

My opinion: undecided. The argument that we use it in all other games is irrelevant, because there we start from scratch. Here, :Lampre: kept Pozzovivo at 240k and Kwiato at 610k, that's why the current system is designed specifically to help out those who finished at the bottom as much as possible.

4. Restriction on neo-pro trades

My opinion: undecided. For a quick check on how you feel about it, you can visit the :RadioShack: sheet and ask yourself whether my kindergarten squad is good strategizing or rules abuse. Voices above range between Tom's "unless you're new, you should know what you're doing", via Fleur's "2nd year only", all the way to Ace's "entirely illegal, violates the spirit of the game".

5. A brand new brainstorming subject: new definition of neo-pro?

This year suddenly a lot of people are struggling to understand our definition:
"Neo-pro is a rider born in 1995 or later who wasn't on a real-life professional team (WT/ProConti) in spring 2017"
Also, when somebody new joins in the future, things would be easier for them if our definition matched the one used IRL.
If that's something we want to consider, it would require 2 changes: removal of age limit, and taking into account previous seasons too.
I believe the accurate wording would be "Neo-pro is a rider who never spent an entire season with a WT/ProConti team IRL."

Curious to hear your thoughts, but please think twice. Sligthly worried about any Pandora boxes like geezers who happen to have ridden for a conti team for the last decade. Example of neo-pros if the definition changes:
2017 - Dupont http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=7948
2018 - A. Jensen http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=17088
2019 - you-know-who http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=21971

Good post Daniel. Feedback to come.

Offline TERatcliffe26

• MVP
    • :JAC:
    • :VAN:
    • :STO:
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2017, 03:07:19 PM »
1. I guess you kind of already know my point of this one, its the bonus years of the big riders are the problem for me, over the nurturing of talent for the others

2. I think it depends on the year, but i guess the problem is when you see someone get to keep gavaria but you manage to sneak in a good 2nd round pick but loose then in the bidding the next year and he goes on to score a hatfull. I think it should be the same over both years whether that be both at 2 years or both at 1. Think id prefer both at 1 than both at 2.
(Also I know Barta quite well, but you may know from some of my picks in other games that I follow Axeon and riders who have developed from them, which made me a bit gutted I couldn't get Powless)

3. Again it can depend on the year and also how many teams we have in the game, at a high amount of teams its more irrelevant, but if we were ever to reduce significantly it could make a difference, as better riders would be available in the 2nd round. only one rider on my list made it to the start of 2nd round who Garfield took, however had we had reduced teams to say 14/15 (and the 2nd round order reversed) its possible I could have taken him or either crass or dunbar which would have been massive. But like I say as it stands with a high amount its not so much of a disadvantage

4. you know my stance on this.
Although I totally disagree with Florry's assessment that you can pick up 10-15 riders for next to nothing. There (imo) have been a lot of riders going for 60/70/80k and even higher that in the past would have gone for 30/40k (even the relative nobodies), I think picking up cheap riders has become so hard now

5.I think the rules etc around age are perfectly fine and certainly should not be any increase in ages.
Anyone who is born prior to the year of 1995 as it is this year should be in the normal bidding and left to us to pick up on that potential diamond out there

Offline Florry

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »

4. you know my stance on this.
Although I totally disagree with Florry's assessment that you can pick up 10-15 riders for next to nothing. There (imo) have been a lot of riders going for 60/70/80k and even higher that in the past would have gone for 30/40k (even the relative nobodies), I think picking up cheap riders has become so hard now

That is my point. It has become so hard to pick up cheap riders, yet Garfield has managed to amass a whole herd of $30k riders that could potentially score a large number of points (especially from last year's perspective, when their potential was even more unknown) through his admittedly smart trading.
Of course, you could see this as a way to make it "easier" to pick up cheap riders with potential to score, you could also say it is against the spirit of the game.

Offline TERatcliffe26

• MVP
    • :JAC:
    • :VAN:
    • :STO:
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2017, 05:57:30 PM »
I misunderstood what you meant by it. But surely that means that 1 year for picks is better then and takes that away, as if you trade youve only got them for that season and that trade arguement kinda disapears

Offline Ace

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 166
    • :STL-NFL:
    • :DEN-NBA:
    • :NotreDame:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
For some structure: a reminder of (now numbered) potential 2019 changes currently being discussed, plus a new one at the bottom:

My preference has been the same since the league began; 2 years for 1st round picks, 1 year with a non-guaranteed 2nd year for 2nd round picks.

Additional idea: Open FA a couple of days before the draft for bidding on Neos only, but teams must start the auction at 420k or more. This would prevent anyone getting a rider considered a pretty sure thing to score well for just 30k for 2 seasons.

I of course meant the same as Florry; no trades in first year. The game works better when everyone is trying to field a competitive squad.

Offline Ace

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 166
    • :STL-NFL:
    • :DEN-NBA:
    • :NotreDame:
    • :LIV:
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
Also had an idea for an additional game.

Bid for 1 year contracts (25 man teams) but you can keep any rider at double the cost the following season.

Offline Garfield

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :PHX:
    • :ARS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »
Thanks for your contributions, guys! Keep them coming, and I'll try to decide something concrete next week.

Bid for 1 year contracts (25 man teams) but you can keep any rider at double the cost the following season.

If I understand correctly, that's 500 separate auctions. Basically another very big game, but not really all that different from the existing main game?

Btw I've been pondering about something else we could do more regularly, but not quite as intense as Wall Street. The best I've come up till now is a little guessing game where before a race (or even a stage) we each have the option to name one rider who'll score for us. Of course the same rider could (and often would) be chosen by multiple people, no problem.

Challenges:
  • Scoring would have to be relative, otherwise a single Grand Tour guess annihilates a million other bets.
  • Complete lack of activity should hurt you a tiny bit, but not too much. You should be able to dynamically choose your activity level between daily, regular, and occasional.
Example implementation:
  • Grand Tour GC: 15 for 1st place, 10 for 2nd, 6 - 3rd, 3 - 4th, 1 - 5th, 0 - no bet or 6th, -1 - 7th, -2 - 8th, -3 - 9th, -4 - 10th or lower.
  • World Tour stage race or a monument: 10 for 1st place, 6 for 2nd, 3 - 3rd, 1 - 4th, 0 - no bet or 5th, -1 - 6th, -2 - 7th, -3 - 8th or lower.
  • Grand Tour stage or a World Tour one-day race: 4 for 1st place, 2 for 2nd, 1 - 3rd, 0 - no bet or 4th, -1 - 5th, -2 - 6th or lower.
  • Any smaller tour/stage, for you Tropicale Amissa Bongo experts out there: 2 for 1st place, 1 for 2nd, 0 - no bet or 3rd, -1 - 4th or lower.
Implementation details:
  • If you want to place the first bet in any race, you start a thread with the race name. Others reply.
  • You insert your own scores into the score sheet.
  • Changes possible until the deadline - midnight local time.
Thoughts? :afro:
Leagues I run: Advanced NBA, Cycling, All-Europe Football

Offline DJW14

• Rookie
    • :NUD:
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »

My opinion: undecided, but I can see why it came up. After some years we've all become experts. This season :Lampre: Luis destroyed us, but teams 2-10 all finished in that 7300-8300 range. The season before that, the two teams on top of the rankings had Ewan and Gaviria as neos, while no fewer than 7 teams right behind them finished within mere 700 points. To give one of those teams 2 free years of the next superstar is like Christmas and Easter together.

My opinion: probably unnecessary, it's a sheer lottery. None of us have ever heard of Patrick Müller, Simon Sellier, William Barta, Nicola Conci, Damien Touze, Giovanni Carboni, Matteo Fabbro, Corentin Ermenault, Bram Welten, Valentin Madouas, or Nathan van Hooydonck. We cannot know if they're good enough to become successful pros. Their bosses don't know if they're good enough to become successful pros. They don't know themselves if they're good enough to become successful pros! Also, it's irrelevant that they mostly sign 2-year contracts IRL - this is still a puny fantasy game. And passing remains an option.

3. Snake draft order

My opinion: undecided. The argument that we use it in all other games is irrelevant, because there we start from scratch. Here, :Lampre: kept Pozzovivo at 240k and Kwiato at 610k, that's why the current system is designed specifically to help out those who finished at the bottom as much as possible.

My opinion: undecided. For a quick check on how you feel about it, you can visit the :RadioShack: sheet and ask yourself whether my kindergarten squad is good strategizing or rules abuse. Voices above range between Tom's "unless you're new, you should know what you're doing", via Fleur's "2nd year only", all the way to Ace's "entirely illegal, violates the spirit of the game".

5. A brand new brainstorming subject: new definition of neo-pro?

This year suddenly a lot of people are struggling to understand our definition:
"Neo-pro is a rider born in 1995 or later who wasn't on a real-life professional team (WT/ProConti) in spring 2017"
Also, when somebody new joins in the future, things would be easier for them if our definition matched the one used IRL.
If that's something we want to consider, it would require 2 changes: removal of age limit, and taking into account previous seasons too.
I believe the accurate wording would be "Neo-pro is a rider who never spent an entire season with a WT/ProConti team IRL."

Curious to hear your thoughts, but please think twice. Sligthly worried about any Pandora boxes like geezers who happen to have ridden for a conti team for the last decade. Example of neo-pros if the definition changes:
2017 - Dupont http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=7948
2018 - A. Jensen http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=17088
2019 - you-know-who http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=21971

1/2.: As I mentioned, I would go with option 2. The reason for that is primarily that it rewards knowledge / research, or sometimes just a good hunch. Do I know a lot about Touze? No. But I did watch the u23 WC race this year precisely because it's useful for games like this, so in that sense if he turns out to be a star in the next couple of years then it make sense to be rewarded for that at least a little. Of course sometimes guys will get Gaviria / Ewan and will have a big advantage in the 2nd season, but the point of the game isn't for us all to have equal teams, but to be rewarded for having decent judgement about how riders might progress.

3. Seen as most of us seem to be in agreement that there is probably less than a whole round of well-known neo pros who everyone wants, it seems fair to me if the first round starts with the bottom placed from last season, and then the order is reversed for the second round.

4. Picking neo pros is one of my favourite elements of the game so I don't really see why you would bother trading someone you have just drafted. I would be happy with any of the situations, but do agree that it does go against the spirit of the game somewhat.

5. The definition of "neo-pro", as I have always understood it, is that it is not age limited but refers simply to a rider in their first season at WT or PC level. So MVP and Dupont are fine with me, but not young riders who have been on pro teams, dropped to Conti level then come back up.

The reason I think the "spring" element is confusing is that riders who have been stagiaires in previous years would still be considered neo pros in January 2018. So for me the rule should be:

"At the time of the neo-pro auction, any rider who has previously never ridden on a full year contract for a World Tour or Professional Continental team is eligible".

Offline glomser

• All-Star
    • :FEY:
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2017, 05:25:32 PM »
Thanks for your contributions, guys! Keep them coming, and I'll try to decide something concrete next week.

If I understand correctly, that's 500 separate auctions. Basically another very big game, but not really all that different from the existing main game?

Btw I've been pondering about something else we could do more regularly, but not quite as intense as Wall Street. The best I've come up till now is a little guessing game where before a race (or even a stage) we each have the option to name one rider who'll score for us. Of course the same rider could (and often would) be chosen by multiple people, no problem.

Challenges:
  • Scoring would have to be relative, otherwise a single Grand Tour guess annihilates a million other bets.
  • Complete lack of activity should hurt you a tiny bit, but not too much. You should be able to dynamically choose your activity level between daily, regular, and occasional.
Example implementation:
  • Grand Tour GC: 15 for 1st place, 10 for 2nd, 6 - 3rd, 3 - 4th, 1 - 5th, 0 - no bet or 6th, -1 - 7th, -2 - 8th, -3 - 9th, -4 - 10th or lower.
  • World Tour stage race or a monument: 10 for 1st place, 6 for 2nd, 3 - 3rd, 1 - 4th, 0 - no bet or 5th, -1 - 6th, -2 - 7th, -3 - 8th or lower.
  • Grand Tour stage or a World Tour one-day race: 4 for 1st place, 2 for 2nd, 1 - 3rd, 0 - no bet or 4th, -1 - 5th, -2 - 6th or lower.
  • Any smaller tour/stage, for you Tropicale Amissa Bongo experts out there: 2 for 1st place, 1 for 2nd, 0 - no bet or 3rd, -1 - 4th or lower.
Implementation details:
  • If you want to place the first bet in any race, you start a thread with the race name. Others reply.
  • You insert your own scores into the score sheet.
  • Changes possible until the deadline - midnight local time.
Thoughts? :afro:

Do we start with points or do we all start at 0 and after a race we can score or lose points?

But this looks like a predicition game. Maybe we can go for a podium. So you name the winner, second and third. For the winner right you score 5 points, for number 2 you score 4 points and for number 3 you get 3 points, if they are placed on the right spot. If you name someone, but nog on the right place you get only 1 point. example. You guess that Sagan wins the MSR, Colbrelli on 2 and Matthews on 3. Auctually Sagan wins, with Matthews on 2 and Kristoff on 3. Your points will be 5 for Sagan and 1 for Matthews.  I would only take the WC races to guess on and make a sort of overall classement.
Winner Quick Fix Giro 2017

Offline cranky

• Veteran
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :CLG:
    • :BVB:
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
Also had an idea for an additional game.

I'd be happy for another game along the above lines to begin. I always find the bidding process more interesting and enjoy following the riders I win more than on other games where we pick through draft.

To reduce the game size you could limit the teams to 20 riders.

You could always include other rules to separate it from the main game as well, if everyone wants something a little different.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Thecliff: :judge: NASCAR TCRL Race 16 preview [link]
    July 03, 2020, 04:02:13 PM
  • indiansnation: The cliff pm
    July 03, 2020, 11:04:41 PM
  • Thecliff: Thanks Brian...all set.
    July 04, 2020, 01:47:53 AM
  • indiansnation: David price sp opted out this yr and wont play.  Good thing is that any mlb player that doesnt  play  wont get credit this yr so price as example not playing he wont be a fa next season because he sat out this yr. And wont get pd either
    July 04, 2020, 07:43:17 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: There's going to be a lot of veterans who won't play this year.
    July 04, 2020, 07:58:43 PM
  • indiansnation: Benefits the owners if they dont play because owners save money.
    July 04, 2020, 08:11:15 PM
  • indiansnation: If u dont play u dont get paid.
    July 04, 2020, 08:11:44 PM
  • indiansnation: Look already come 2021 40 milb teams will be gone and draft will stay permantly 5 rds
    July 04, 2020, 08:12:59 PM
  • indiansnation: Covid 19 will change the future of baseball all the furure fa wont get those big contracts they think they should get. I see team salary caps droping alot. Owners are going to take advantage of this covid 19 and turn it around to benefit them.
    July 04, 2020, 08:17:18 PM
  • Jonathan: I don't think its good when players who are overpaid are opting out.
    July 04, 2020, 10:46:59 PM
  • Jonathan: I guess it won't matter because it wont be long before they shut it back down.
    July 04, 2020, 10:57:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Players opt out dont get paid
    July 04, 2020, 11:23:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Buster posey might be next player to opt out
    July 04, 2020, 11:24:09 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking to trade in fgm,busch and wcb2
    July 05, 2020, 12:18:38 AM
  • Yeagg: Cliff, is the Bush League reduction only for 2020?
    July 05, 2020, 02:34:21 AM
  • Thecliff: Bush Update: [link]
    July 05, 2020, 10:48:04 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: What's up FNHLers!?!?!?
    July 05, 2020, 03:24:52 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Time to report back to FNHL HQ!
    July 05, 2020, 03:25:04 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL dancers :taco::taco::taco:
    July 05, 2020, 03:25:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking to move justin smoak ci in busch league
    July 06, 2020, 12:33:03 AM
  • Mets Donations Accepted: PM Indians
    July 06, 2020, 01:55:58 AM
  • Vik: Hey guys been a minute. How's everyone holding up?  I've been logging on periodically but simply nothing going on. Got a total of 2 PMs in the last 3 or 4 months lol
    July 06, 2020, 11:54:37 AM
  • Vik: I will be back in Bush and will try to see if we can also salvage season in Armchair and send an update this week with a plan
    July 06, 2020, 11:55:19 AM
  • Vik: Also, I know it doesnt really make sense but I am considering extending BOD and you simply play with the guys you have left as it's a lost season for Fantasy regardless. Will also send PM with a potential plan shortly
    July 06, 2020, 12:50:03 PM
  • Vik: On second though almost no point for BOD unless it's just top 4 teams or something as of the freeze but probably best we just enjoy ball/hockey in real life assuming they finish it off
    July 06, 2020, 01:00:55 PM
  • indiansnation: Cliff
    July 06, 2020, 04:00:15 PM
  • indiansnation: Cliff pm
    July 06, 2020, 04:00:34 PM
  • Thecliff: @Vik [link]
    July 06, 2020, 04:53:42 PM
  • Thecliff: No Greg S sinse March 31, 2020  :doh:
    July 06, 2020, 04:58:54 PM
  • Vik: Got it Cliff I guess I'll wait to see what happens
    July 06, 2020, 05:06:56 PM
  • Mets Donations Accepted: Indians I sent you a PM
    July 06, 2020, 06:06:51 PM
  • Mets Donations Accepted: Cliff I’m awaiting a response concerning my questions about prospects on the 40 man in Bush
    July 06, 2020, 06:07:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Mets pm
    July 06, 2020, 10:18:43 PM
  • Mets Donations Accepted: Back Brian
    July 06, 2020, 10:27:58 PM
  • Daddy: Covid-19 :doh:
    July 06, 2020, 11:57:04 PM
  • indiansnation: Back mets
    July 06, 2020, 11:57:31 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey daddy
    July 06, 2020, 11:57:41 PM
  • Daddy: There will not be a WAR Covid shortened season. I'm down to Sprint it out in Bush.
    July 06, 2020, 11:58:36 PM
  • Daddy: Hello Brian my old friend.
    July 06, 2020, 11:58:59 PM
  • indiansnation: How u been
    July 07, 2020, 12:00:44 AM
  • Daddy: Indiansnation is truly a profsl legend. UBooYah! sbettareconize ;)
    July 07, 2020, 12:01:38 AM
  • Daddy: I'm alive. That ain't bad in 2020.
    July 07, 2020, 12:02:56 AM
  • Daddy: Hope all is well for you. The world done gone to BooYah! but we gotta find a way to make it fertilize a better World.
    July 07, 2020, 12:05:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Yea i had scary moment thought i had  had covid 19 but had pnemonia
    July 07, 2020, 12:07:50 AM
  • indiansnation: Ooh yea i agree
    July 07, 2020, 12:08:09 AM
  • indiansnation: We had a couple of protest happen about 25m away but police came in and stoped it teal quick. Shut down cleveland ohio with a 7pm curfew 2100 people got arrested
    July 07, 2020, 12:10:31 AM
  • Mets Donations Accepted: Back indians
    July 07, 2020, 12:19:05 AM
  • indiansnation: Back mets
    July 07, 2020, 12:50:01 AM
  • Mets Donations Accepted: Back indians
    July 07, 2020, 12:01:59 PM
  • Thecliff: :judge: NASCAR TCRL Race 16 highlights [link] is posted. Enjoy  :toth:
    Today at 02:25:41 AM