Author Topic: Rosters  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Maydab23

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :LAL:
    • :UCLA:
    • View Profile
Re: Rosters
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 03:41:08 AM »
I would like to add that the team counts on the top of my roster are done by a count formula. The roster limits are still easily counted this way while still adding an easier view of positional depth and simplifying promotion processing.  To me just changing one cell's value when promoting is much easier than and leaves less room for error than cutting and pasting.

Also I have the ages self updating as well as hyperlinks to each players baseball reference page.

Yeah I notice that now. I suppose I am fine with it how you have it in that regard. I love the self updating ages. I guess my only critique then is it is a bit hard to read. I am not very knowledgeable on these things but at least on my ipad and phone it is a bit grainy and hard to read. Also would prefer a vertical format like past rosters instead of individual horizontal pages.

Sorry if I am being nitpicky, just my opinion. I am thankful for everybody's hard work.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :SA:
    • :Texas:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 04:44:19 AM »
I think it's a matter of google drive, I need to find a way to upload the actual file without using one of the services.

Maybe this will work.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 05:12:34 AM »
Either way, we need to come to a resolution of the roster issue.  I don't have excel which makes my updating these sheets not possible.  Things that aren't absolutely necessary to distinguish a player are just superfluous for these sheets in my opinion.  I have no interest in looking up the birthdates of 6 or 700 draftees because 5 or 10 players in the whole league may have duplicate names.  As long as the appropriate player is given to the appropriate team in FanTrax I think birthdates are a time consuming luxury.

This league has been in existence two seasons and the Commish role has been a revolving door.  The reason for this is undoubtedly the large amount of time to maintain all of these types of things.  So when there are things that take an extraordinary amount of time that don't have a significant impact then we can either ditch those things or we need more of a group effort to handle them.  This is why I proposed the fixed arbitration and simpler rosters. 

If we can't resolve this then free agency won't begin on time and the season may be pushed back.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Maydab23

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »
Either way, we need to come to a resolution of the roster issue.  I don't have excel which makes my updating these sheets not possible.  Things that aren't absolutely necessary to distinguish a player are just superfluous for these sheets in my opinion.  I have no interest in looking up the birthdates of 6 or 700 draftees because 5 or 10 players in the whole league may have duplicate names.  As long as the appropriate player is given to the appropriate team in FanTrax I think birthdates are a time consuming luxury.

This league has been in existence two seasons and the Commish role has been a revolving door.  The reason for this is undoubtedly the large amount of time to maintain all of these types of things.  So when there are things that take an extraordinary amount of time that don't have a significant impact then we can either ditch those things or we need more of a group effort to handle them.  This is why I proposed the fixed arbitration and simpler rosters. 

If we can't resolve this then free agency won't begin on time and the season may be pushed back.

I agree. This is why I think it would make he most sense to delegate a lot of the tasks. I know we sort of had an executive committee for Fantrax but I think we need something like that for the league. For example a head commissioner to oversee everything and verify some peoples work from time to time to make sure nothing funny is going on and have a few tasks they do themselves (Chris) and then a group of people to handle different areas. For example, I already volunteered to do the extensions. Now that rosters are updated on fantrax we could have 1 or 2 people be in charge of updating fantrax rosters when trades/FA/Promotions happen. We could have one person in charge of updating the roster spreadsheets once that gets up to speed. 2 people in charge of updating draft, etc. Then get people to help on short term projects as needed like when a group of us helped with the fantrax rosters.

Identify the tasks and delegate them out to a group of 3-5 people that are on here fairly consistently and willing to help.

A sort of executive committee that is overseen by the commish would help a lot I think.

As far as the rosters, I like the DOB. it happens with more than a few players and not just duplicate names. A lot of names on rosters are something like billy jones when on bbref it is William jones and it helps to ensure it's the correct player.

Anyways, I'm all for the setup Jss0062 has going up. It's just hard to read. I agree the handedness is somewhat superfluous and I would understand if he didn't want to include it for workload.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 01:36:11 PM »
Chris send me the rosters you have and I will be glad to handle them.  Just title me Chief of Roster Operations. 

Shane were you able to view the file I uploaded straight to the board for download?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Maydab23

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »
Chris send me the rosters you have and I will be glad to handle them.  Just title me Chief of Roster Operations. 

Shane were you able to view the file I uploaded straight to the board for download?

Yes, I could.

They look great, good job.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

haseloff

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »
I've got fairly extensive knowledge of excel. No experience with google docs though. Always willing to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here.  I'm awesome with Excel, never worked with the GOOGLE suite.  I can learn, let me know.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »

I will email them.  Appreciate your help.  The rosters will have to be viewable in some manner however whether it's posted on a web site, posted on this site, or through something like google drive.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »

Sent
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 12:53:50 AM »
Sent

I got them, they are really in pretty good shape. I will try to get the draft updated on them and do a few ownership corrections. I will email you the link to insert them into the site sometime Monday.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Jwalkerjr88: 3 out of the 4 starting QBs in the title games have been traded this offseason
    Yesterday at 11:14:21 PM
  • Daddy: I think i had him on a prospect deal.
    Yesterday at 11:14:22 PM
  • Daddy: It helps just to fill up your roster and sign good contracts. If you dont know crap but keep a full roster and manage finances, you will kick ass.
    Yesterday at 11:15:26 PM
  • Daddy: I wasnt a genius signing Kuechel. I was just filling an empty spot. I got rewarded with the best pitcher in baseball for a few seasons.
    Yesterday at 11:16:59 PM
  • Braves155: I love it when one of your Dynasty teams you've been rebuilding starts showing up and being competitive early in the season. Especially in baseball
    Yesterday at 11:19:42 PM
  • Brent: Agreed.  I'm decent at building, but I need to get better st winning.  I did win an offsite 32-team football league, it only took me 1.5 season to rebuild and win.
    Yesterday at 11:25:50 PM
  • Daddy: Thats what you should be doing @Brent. LIVE sharpens those skills so you can go elsewhere and dominate unsuspecting leagues.
    Today at 12:01:29 AM
  • Daddy: I use the same screen name on every site. So the sites I'm visiting/competing, know who is putting foots to them.
    Today at 12:02:47 AM
  • Daddy: And they know where they can find me. Along with the growing list of LIVE GMs who would put more foots to them.
    Today at 12:03:48 AM
  • Daddy: If "Daddy" appears on your site. He wears a size 13 and you know it.
    Today at 12:04:44 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 09:13:06 AM
  • Brent: Driving to Disney today.  I'll check PMs when I can.
    Today at 10:00:49 AM
  • Braves155: Responded indiansnation
    Today at 11:01:14 AM
  • indiansnation: Jealker pm
    Today at 11:19:23 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back brian
    Today at 11:20:22 AM
  • indiansnation: Jwalker pm
    Today at 11:20:55 AM
  • indiansnation: Jimw pm
    Today at 11:50:01 AM
  • indiansnation: Back at u jwalker
    Today at 11:50:44 AM
  • Daddy: NFL trades never seem to stop.
    Today at 12:59:59 PM
    Today at 01:26:00 PM
  • indiansnation: Colts looking for a couple te and starting rb in nfl live
    Today at 01:27:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Willing to move draft picks in right deal for starting te and starting rb
    Today at 01:42:27 PM
  • Braves155: MLB LIVE - If anyone has a decent 3B they'll deal, hmu.
    Today at 01:57:55 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: MLB LIVE the giants have struck a deal w the padres
    Today at 02:22:22 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: which is nowposted
    Today at 02:22:29 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day for any talks
    Today at 02:26:26 PM
  • Daddy: Blues pm
    Today at 02:56:24 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to all you guys finding and making all these trades in both NFL & MLB
    Today at 02:56:48 PM
  • Daddy: Yall keep an old man busy thats for sure
    Today at 02:57:02 PM
  • Daddy: Trade talks for breakfast are nice. There are more talks than deals and look at the deals.
    Today at 02:58:59 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i love it dealing for a position that tends to be scarce in mlb is huge
    Today at 03:05:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: especially in LIVE
    Today at 03:06:00 PM
  • Daddy: Trade talks heated up in NFL out of the blue. Its surprising to trade all year round in football.
    Today at 03:07:41 PM
  • Daddy: MLB i get it. Its an active ongoing season.
    Today at 03:08:13 PM
  • Daddy: The NBA, NHL & especially NFL. To have that kind of momentum is encouraging.
    Today at 03:09:01 PM
  • indiansnation: Jwalker pm
    Today at 03:11:04 PM
    Today at 03:11:08 PM
  • Braves155: Willing to take offers on Giolito in MLB LIVE if anyone interested in him for prospects
    Today at 03:14:33 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back brian
    Today at 03:26:29 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back again
    Today at 03:35:12 PM
  • Daddy: This is crazy. Im trying to set up this basketball league but trade trade trade pms all over. Its a good problem to have. Who is making the next deal???
    Today at 03:35:19 PM
  • Braves155: I'm around for talks all today
    Today at 03:39:55 PM
  • Daddy: @Braves is always looking. Aint worried about you answering pms.
    Today at 03:42:15 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back to you as well @Braves. Missed your latest pm
    Today at 03:45:31 PM
  • Braves155: Replied Jwalker
    Today at 04:04:49 PM
  • STLBlues91: Sorry had lunch real quick replying to all now
    Today at 04:10:05 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    Today at 04:12:31 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 04:19:06 PM
  • indiansnation: Colts looking to move 2 1st rd picks and a 2nd rd pick in 2025  for a starting rb and starting te
    Today at 04:22:16 PM
  • Daddy: ^^what he said
    Today at 04:24:45 PM