Author Topic: Free Agency Begins January 17th, 12pm CST  (Read 2306 times)

chrisetc21

Free Agency Begins January 17th, 12pm CST
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:07:29 PM »
Free agency is scheduled to start on January 17th.  One request I have in the name of organization and preventing confusion is a format for posting free agents.  Linder has a pretty good requirement in his league (Mendoza Line) so we're going to steal it and use it here. 

All GMs will now be required to post Free Agent threads in a specific format.   All Free Agent threads that aren't posted in this format will be declared invalid and locked.

Here are the two posting requirements:
1. The subject header will include position, then the player's full name.
         (ex: SP Javier Osuna)
2. A link to the players profile page must be posted in the thread.

Profile pages should come from Baseball-Reference.com or FanGraphs.com
If those are not available, a "signing announcement" from baseballamerica.com, MiLB.com, or another reputable source will be required.

Profile Pages are preferred over Signing Announcements.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:57:18 PM by chrisetc21 »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

Re: Free Agency Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:30:54 PM »
At this point I would say we're going to begin free agency on Friday, January 17th at 12pm CST.  That should give us plenty of time to sign players before the season starts.  Please keep the posting guidelines in mind when posting your free agents.  Thanks.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline seanrmgallagher

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :Pennsylvania:
    • View Profile
Re: Free Agency Begins January 17th, 12pm CST
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 06:21:38 PM »
Last year we broke it up a bit by only allowing some people to be bid on at a time. Have a hundred or more open bidding wars could be a bit overwhelming and it might be easier for everybody to have bidding on only certain positions or alphabetical groups start at different times. Just a suggestion.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 06:29:56 PM »
Yes, definitely good suggestion.  We'll break it up by position and limit the amount of winning bids at one time, probably to four bids which seems to be a good number used in other leagues.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

soiytenlee

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 03:32:20 AM »
Is there a thread that lists all the available free agents that will be up for bid come the 17th? Am I just going right past it?

Nevermind, I found the thread that talks about how all available players in FanTrax will be our FA list. Sorry for the unneeded post. :doh:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:40:06 AM by soiytenlee »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 12:20:28 PM »
Someone had asked about how to sign minor leaguers.  I can't find the message or what have you.  Minor leaguers would receive an initial prospect contract.  To place a bid you would simply start a thread with the guidelines above for the thread title and then in the body of the post you would put PC or prospect contract.  Every bid thereafter would say PC+ an amount that is considered a one time bonus.  So PC + $2m is an example.  If you were to win that bid you would give the player a $2m bonus, deducted from your salary cap for that season.  You would then assign the player to your minor league system whereby he would follow the six year contract platform for arbitration salaries once he was promoted to the 40 man roster.  Players on the 25 man roster are automatically part of the 40 man roster.  Hope that clears up the question.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 05:16:06 PM »
We're going to open different positions each week for free agency.  Once the week is up for each position, no opening bids may be placed.  So, for example, on day 7 an opening bid is placed for a position.  Bidding on that player will continue until the player is won however no more opening bids past day 7 of that position.  Once all positions have been opened and closed for their period, all positions will re-open until the free agency period closes for the year on the final day of the World Series. 

There's no strategy in which positions open at what time, I just picked them from catcher through the outfield and then pitching. 

Week 1 - Catchers
Week 2 - 1B & 3B
Week 3 - SS & 2B
Week 4 - Outfield
Week 5 - Pitchers

You can structure your bids however you like but the contract amount per year must be constant.  You cannot offer $20 million in the first season and $3million in the second season or vice versa.  There is no restructuring of deals at this point. 

International free agents under age 23 who have not signed a contract with a major league franchise as of July 1st, 2013 are NOT eligible for this free agent period.  These international free agents will be part of the international free agency period beginning in July of 2014.  While a major league contract automatically trumps a minor league contract regardless of value, no minor leaguer under the age of 23 may be offered a major league contract.

There are no more than 4 winning bids allowed at one time for any one owner regardless of major or minor league bidding. 

Major League Free Agents

The bidding should note the following.  Thread title should have position followed by player name.  First Post must include a link to the player.  Bidding needs to include... number of years, salary per season, and total salary. 

k abbreviation stands for thousand and m abbreviation stands for million so there should be no confusing the terms.  $500k is $500,000 and $50m is $50,000,000. 

Winning bids must stand for 48 hours. 

Minimum bid increase amounts for major league contracts are $500k for bids under $50 million and $2m for bids over $50 million. 

Thread title example

SP Roger Clemens

First post/initial bid example

Roger Clemens

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/clemero02.shtml

5 years, $10m per year, $50m total

Additional bids example

5 years, $10.5m per year, $52.5m total

Minor League Free Agents

Minor leaguers can be bid on as well however their initial bid will be stated as PC or Prospect Contract which carries no bonus.  Every successive bid from a PC or Prospect Contract should be noted as PC + $.  The minimum bid raise for minor leaguers is $50k.

Winning bids must stand for 48 hours. 

Minimum bid increase amounts for prospect contracts are $50k for bids under $5 million and $200k for bids over $5 million. 

Thread title example

SP Mark Appel

First post/initial bid example

Mark Appel

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=appel-001mar

PC

Additional bids example

PC + $50k
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:41:34 PM by chrisetc21 »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :SA:
    • :Blank:
    • :Texas:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 05:30:01 PM »
good to go
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ThePetis

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 05:35:31 PM »
We're going to open different positions each week for free agency.  Once the week is up for each position, no opening bids may be placed.  So, for example, on day 7 an opening bid is placed for a position.  Bidding on that player will continue until the player is won however no more opening bids past day 7 of that position.  Once all positions have been opened and closed for their period, all positions will re-open until the free agency period closes for the year on the final day of the World Series. 

There's no strategy in which positions open at what time, I just picked them from catcher through the outfield and then pitching. 

Week 1 - Catchers
Week 2 - 1B & 3B
Week 3 - SS & 2B
Week 4 - Outfield
Week 5 - Pitchers

I'm not crazy about this idea.  I understand not wanted 50-100 bids going at one time, but I'd prefer another method.  Perhaps a rule that lets an owner open a bid on only one, or possibly two players per week, regardless of position.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
I'm not crazy about this idea.  I understand not wanted 50-100 bids going at one time, but I'd prefer another method.  Perhaps a rule that lets an owner open a bid on only one, or possibly two players per week, regardless of position.

Have you ever participated in a free agency bidding process? 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: How much it cost?
    Yesterday at 05:22:50 PM
  • Daddy: A lot. I think about $300 per season.
    Yesterday at 05:24:18 PM
  • Daddy: Added to the cable bill of like $200. That nobody ever used.
    Yesterday at 05:25:01 PM
  • Daddy: So i had DirecTV for 12 months to use Sunday ticket for 3 months and paid like 3 installments of roughly $100 added to my $200m bill.
    Yesterday at 05:26:18 PM
  • Daddy: For that i got two TVs that could watch any game any time any where. Problem is they getting played at the same times. You cant watch every game. Why you charging me for every game?
    Yesterday at 05:27:40 PM
  • Daddy: If thats the case i should have access to 32 different monitors. Right?
    Yesterday at 05:30:19 PM
  • Daddy: Or maybe 16. I would take 16. But two. Give me my bread back Mafia!
    Yesterday at 05:31:38 PM
  • Daddy: Making me watch  Bo Nix + Zach Wilson + Jared Stidham = you should be paying me
    Yesterday at 05:33:56 PM
  • Daddy: Me and coach Payton [link]
    Yesterday at 05:34:53 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Thats cap by the way. I pay for my own way to watch my team
    Yesterday at 05:41:55 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I dont have your account or login
    Yesterday at 05:42:07 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I used yours for 1-2 seasons.
    Yesterday at 05:43:32 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I used my mothers for a decade before that
    Yesterday at 05:43:46 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: But ive used my way for the past few years. Ill be paying attention like i said
    Yesterday at 05:44:27 PM
  • Daddy: She deserves a refund too
    Yesterday at 05:46:27 PM
  • Daddy: The point was DirecTV never got in your pockets and it was a rip-off but they had a monopoly on the product. Im not loving all the streaming games but DTV will be paying $$$.
    Yesterday at 05:48:22 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: The new iteration with Youtube TV isnt the greatest either but an improvement on Directtv version
    Yesterday at 05:48:37 PM
  • Daddy: And your grandfather used it every year besides those two :rofl:
    Yesterday at 05:49:26 PM
  • Daddy: I kept DirecTV and always willing to share. But thats my point.
    Yesterday at 05:49:47 PM
  • Daddy: If i had 3 monitors rather than two or four rather than two, either me or moms save money. Lots of it.
    Yesterday at 05:50:26 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Yea your point is just wrong is all. Theyve gotten into my pockets directly and indirectly
    Yesterday at 05:51:03 PM
  • Daddy: Oh, i was unaware. DTV must have got us all.
    Yesterday at 05:51:55 PM
  • Daddy: I know you dont endorse them. Never did. I paid for lots of crap i never used. Just for NFL Sunday Ticket.
    Yesterday at 05:52:45 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I dont and didnt endorse cable period. The irony is streaming is becoming cable now.
    Yesterday at 05:55:39 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I paid for directtv version 1-2 years when i had my apartment. Not as much as the 35+ crowd but they did
    Yesterday at 05:56:34 PM
  • Daddy: Still never watched a game on YouTube. I miss the days of CBS = AFC >> FOX/NBC = NFC >> ABC = MNF
    Yesterday at 05:56:42 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: There was no reason to have directtv outside of sunday ticket. My apartment couldnt get it so i paid ONLY for sunday ticket
    Yesterday at 05:57:04 PM
  • Daddy: I was ok with TNF & SNF.
    Yesterday at 05:57:43 PM
  • Daddy: Its all over the place now. So ive stuck with what i know. The Ticket. I can't miss a Rams game. Not gonna do it.
    Yesterday at 05:58:45 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Now they stream some games only on amazon and peacock. I need a streaming lawsuit
    Yesterday at 06:01:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Dont forget disney + soon u will stream games pn their
    Yesterday at 09:43:09 PM
  • indiansnation: Disney trying yo buy nfl network and using espn as part of the trade off nfl will own a certain % of espn. First deal eas 70m for nfl network but nfl turned that down real quick
    Yesterday at 09:46:43 PM
  • indiansnation: Anyone want to talk trade nfl live,mlb live,fgm,armchair
    Yesterday at 10:00:02 PM
  • indiansnation: And any other league that im in that i didnt post yet
    Yesterday at 10:00:35 PM
  • Daddy: They keep throwing insane money at the NFL to televise games and owners share those shiny pennies just enough with the players.
    Yesterday at 10:39:25 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: I'm available.  Not sure if we match up anywhere other than NHL Live, but let me know if there's something you're interested in @Brian
    Yesterday at 10:45:39 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: The other leagues for me are FGM, MLB Live and DNHL in case any-one else is looking to do a deal
    Yesterday at 10:49:01 PM
  • Daddy: Healthy mix. Couple baseball, couple hockey, different scoring options.
    Yesterday at 11:08:15 PM
  • Daddy: You probably kick ass in all of them although NHL LIVE hasnt officially started.
    Yesterday at 11:08:42 PM
  • Daddy: I respect your gaming options
    Yesterday at 11:09:54 PM
  • Daddy: I would for sure be an FGM or Armchair owner if i were here for baseball. Powerhouse too. Why not? Great leagues with better LMs.
    Yesterday at 11:16:38 PM
  • Daddy: DNHL must be 15 years old. Gotta be doing something right. Most leagues dont make it past 5. Very few make it 10.
    Yesterday at 11:20:45 PM
  • Daddy: I think Rob been running that league longer than ive been on profsl. Legendary LM.
    Yesterday at 11:22:42 PM
  • indiansnation: Jmntl82 pm important messave about armchair
    Yesterday at 11:45:05 PM
  • jmntl82: indiansnation-replied
    Yesterday at 11:48:26 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: thanks @daddy.  I hold my own
    Today at 12:05:43 AM
  • Braves155: Will be around today for deal talks - ANY sport
    Today at 10:12:32 AM
  • Daddy: You tellem @Braves!
    Today at 11:47:14 AM
  • IndianaBuc: Braves PM