Author Topic: Atlanta Herald – Headlines 2nd WEEK OF MLB FA  (Read 988 times)

Offline J-Nels

• Rookie
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :SEA-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :Florida:
    • :RMA:
    • View Profile
Atlanta Herald – Headlines 2nd WEEK OF MLB FA
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »
The second week of free agency reminded Braves fan a lot of the first - no significant additions to the MLB squad. Owner/GM of the Braves said, "This free agency period is has been dominated by teams paying big money to fill holes in their rosters. The way I see it, the fringe clubs and those who are rebuilding have chosen to compete for free agents. Its surprising to see this many rebuilds cannonball into FA instead of taking on bad contracts and building their farm system."

Back by popular demand - Notable contracts in week two;
Jose Altuve - 5YR @ $33M DET - I'm still not over Kyle freaking Seager getting $31M a year but this makes it mildly better. Altuve is a saint for all of us short people of the world. Quoting Teddy KGB of the movie Rounders, "Pay that man his money".

DJ LeMehieu - 5YR @ $22M TB - Big contract for one of the best hitters in the MLB. He plays in a stacked line up and a hitter friendly park. Good pick up for TB also joining Moose.

Jason Kipnis - 5YR @ 15M TB - Ummmm, not sure where to start. TB now has $71M wrapped up in their infield through 2020 - for 4 starters - if you include Tulo. I like their DJ and Moose signings...this one will hurt their knees with how much the will be praying!

Brandon Crawford - 5YR @ $10M SF - Very interesting contract after a sub-par year...or was it sub-par? After reviewing the stats, Mr. Crawford hit his career AVG, scored his AVG in Runs, and had his third best HR season total. SF is hoping he is a late bloomer and can reach his prime in his early 30's. He's currently 31 Years Old!

Adrian Beltre - 3YR @ $13M CHC - at nearly 39 years old (according to a Dominican birth certificate for all that's worth) this looks like a garbage deal. However, when you look at the stats, Beltre has put up surprising great numbers throughout his 30s. Even last year with injuries, he put up really good stats. The risk is retirement...does he hang em up after this year - his last real year under contract?

Cristian Santana - $5.8M signing bonus SF - makes me wonder why I am here writing for the Herald when there is this much money to blow on a 20 year old in A ball! Sure he has upside - but 5.8M worth? I guess teams can do this since you have to use your budget or lose it!

Week three rumblings have heard ATL looking to make a splash on an OF. Not sure why when they have the best OF in the league, but there is always a method to the madness with GM Nelson. Plus a fan can always hope!

Please feel free to comment on any FAs below. Please keep unsigned FAs off the topics unless you want to be trolled!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Vik

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :TOR-NHL:
    • :LaSalle:
    • :TOR-MLS:
    • View Profile
Re: Atlanta Herald – Headlines 2nd WEEK OF MLB FA
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:42:39 PM »
No mention of Erik Ayber  :o

Brewers tried to sneak a late bid for Altuve but just couldn't go any higher after that. Intresting to even see a guy his caliber a FA.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 10:23:55 PM »
I thought Altuve would go $200m. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jonathan

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 103
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :CAR-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 11:16:26 PM »
I just visited the Braves page and can't find Mike Trout anywhere?

Cristian Santana - $5.8M signing bonus SF - makes me wonder why I am here writing for the Herald when there is this much money to blow on a 20 year old in A ball! Sure he has upside - but 5.8M worth? I guess teams can do this since you have to use your budget or lose it!

Ha, boy is this a funny comment. Offering a MLB contract to a 20 year old in A ball sounds much better!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:22:44 PM by Jonathan »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline cheesesteak

• All-Star
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:24:57 AM »
I signed Kipnis for when he becomes LF eligible.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline J-Nels

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 12:12:11 PM »
GM Nelson quick quotes;

"Altuve equals 23.2% of the team salary cap. This is a big number his team will have to work around in the future."
"We made Aybar an offer but he countered with a number we could not match until we pay off Pujols' dead contract.."
"We had room on our 40 man roster for Santana but league rules didn't allow our offer. We wish him and his new team good luck."
"Kipnis in the OF is interesting. I can't imagine it being sustainable, but I have been wrong before."

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline indiansnation

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :CLE-NFL:
    • :CLE-NBA:
    • :CLS:
    • :OhioState:
    • :CLS-MLS:
    • :CLE:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »
Let the giants talk about christian Santana signing. This kid will make it to lad by 2019. This kid has some pop in his bat! In 2017 he played in advanced a ball and  hit .322. In quaker playoffs this kid hit .400 his coach says he will be the next big talent on lad in near future.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline J-Nels

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »
The Herald Breaking news;

ATL offers Yoenis a large contract. What does this mean for the OF pieces the team already has? Do they have a trade in place for Ozuna, Cruz, or Blackmon?

Stay tuned, more to come.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »
The Herald Breaking news;

ATL offers Yoenis a large contract. What does this mean for the OF pieces the team already has? Do they have a trade in place for Ozuna, Cruz, or Blackmon?

Stay tuned, more to come.

It's up to $95m.  Braves going to step up?  Hmmm...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    April 30, 2024, 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    April 30, 2024, 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:17 AM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    April 30, 2024, 08:26:57 PM
  • Rhino7: You still in CCD?
    April 30, 2024, 09:21:41 PM
  • Braves155: No
    April 30, 2024, 10:44:49 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Hey Braves155:
    April 30, 2024, 10:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE has 44 teams declared. Great teams are available like Florida, Cal, Utah major college football programs are still available.
    Yesterday at 03:09:53 PM
  • Daddy: Sign up [link] to claim your favorite college program. Recruiting begins 6/1/24 @8PM EST
    Yesterday at 03:10:42 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE season update posts on profsl (individual posts) 2021=601 views >> 2022=690 views >> 2023=5000k views (insert eyes emoji)
    Yesterday at 05:00:29 PM
  • Daddy: Profsl aint TikTok. You post something here and it gets 5k views in a few months, thats major interest gents.
    Yesterday at 05:03:47 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for ay talks in any of the leagues im in
    Yesterday at 06:54:02 PM
  • Daddy: Yall be sneaking these fast baseball trades on us. :) Congratulations to both GMs.
    Yesterday at 07:57:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: tryna stay competitive
    Yesterday at 08:18:31 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, still TBD if trading my best player will pay off in the long run.
    Yesterday at 10:19:59 PM
  • Daddy: Two more trades dropped simultaneously.
    Yesterday at 11:54:44 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to all four GMs :toth:
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • dbreer23: I'm getting too old to keep up with all of these trades.
    Yesterday at 11:58:35 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah MLB is insane this year.
    Today at 12:04:09 AM
  • Daddy: You could always go back to drinking... We dont mind a few liquor induced gremlins on the SS ;)
    Today at 12:06:49 AM
  • dbreer23: I think I'm on the wagon permanently. Haven't touched a drop in months. Wasn't a conscious thing, just sort of happened.
    Today at 12:08:42 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations sir. I think. Life's too short for me. My days are numbered.
    Today at 12:11:44 AM
  • dbreer23: Death comes for us all in the end...
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: if anything saving the drinks for the weekend
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: saving the drinks for weekend
    Today at 12:13:08 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: got two games
    Today at 12:13:17 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: going to the AHL playoff game mikwake admirals vs texas stars sat and then UTexas baseball vs oklahoma st sunday
    Today at 12:13:57 AM
  • Daddy: Death can kiss my no no zone.
    Today at 12:14:37 AM
  • dbreer23: :rofl:
    Today at 12:15:14 AM
  • Daddy: I smoke, i drink, im supposed to stop but i caint, i howl at the moon and bury my bone places its hard to dig it out of.
    Today at 12:29:22 AM
  • Daddy: If not for fantasy sports... Hmmm. I think i would be a male dancer. :)
    Today at 12:30:52 AM
  • Daddy: Another new trade just ruined a clean board. Lol  congratulations to both GMs :toth: looks like i can keep my dance outfit in the attic.
    Today at 12:40:22 AM
  • Daddy: Damn... She's a Biggun
    Today at 12:40:57 AM
  • Yeagg: That's why we made the trade. That outfit can stay hidden forever
    Today at 12:43:17 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 12:46:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i can deff say this has been the most active week in MLB live in a long while
    Today at 12:47:31 AM
  • Daddy: Season is a month old. Its been a busy month. Ask the professor.
    Today at 12:51:15 AM
  • Daddy: Thats the whole point. 30 teams 30 dudes running them. Everyday lurking & looking to build.
    Today at 12:52:50 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE we havent forgotten about you. (NCAA is just massive) We have brought in some heavy hitters in every sport. The competition and fun is what we are after. The NHL Draft is approaching.
    Today at 12:27:48 PM
  • Daddy: We will be drafting the same guys from the same draft order as the actual NHL Draft.
    Today at 12:28:18 PM
  • Daddy: Did i mention you inherited the actual teams? AHL rosters too :thumbsup:
    Today at 12:29:06 PM
  • snugerud: You lost me at 30 dudes lurking.  creeped me out.
    Today at 01:45:01 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah... Its like Pet Cemetery. (Insert ghastly music theme)
    Today at 01:55:49 PM
  • Daddy: Im like Pat McAfee without the money, success, likability or platform. Just out here loving sports and competition.
    Today at 02:04:02 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE 2024 Bowl Schedule [link]
    Today at 03:46:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for any trade talks the rest of the day
    Today at 05:37:03 PM