Author Topic: 2017 League Discussion, Rule Changes  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Maydab23

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :LAL:
    • :UCLA:
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 League Discussion, Rule Changes
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 01:58:34 AM »
1. For those that volunteered, thank you. I know we are all busy but this might be the single most important thing for this league. We need to keep working to find owners to add to the strong core of committed great owners we already have.

2. The transaction limit is necessary. Especially as nobody is really able to help with the fantrax and spreadsheet processing. The league is massive work on the admin side. While a transaction limit is less than ideal, having a bunch of outstanding transactions that are not being processed (which we had this year including the lead up to playoffs) is not ideal either. The limit should be something that doesn't restrict owners freedom to promote/demote, only prevent the "im going to promote this guy for one game then demote him just because I can and I'm going for every point I can get"    I commend that type of owner and want those types in this league BUT those types of transactions just aren't feasible admin wise in this league.

3. See above. Chris, Jeremy and myself will keep working hard for the league and appreciate any help somebody can give in the future.

4. I'm mixed. This site has definitely had an increase in issues in the last year or two. Ideally the league remains here but this is something to watch over the next year.

5. I respect some people's desire for realism as that's part of the draw of this league and what makes it unique. Like the transaction limit though, certain concessions have to be made IF the status quo is unsustainable. I feel right now we are teetering on that. This is why recruitment is SO important. If we can get the league to a point where we never have more than around 5 orphan teams then I feel that's a good and realistic place to be. This year we were at nearly 50% orphan rate at one point which is not okay. It's also not realistic to have so many teams being deadwood.

My position is, let's work out asses off recruiting and try to fill this league up with more great, committed owners. However, if we are near a 50% orphan rate again by the next off season then I think that contraction will unfortunately be a necessity.

6. Im mixed on this. Yes, I understand why owners feel frustrated they work hard to find minor league FAs just for someone else to swoop in. However, all this does is help the teams whose owners are most active (which are already the best teams in the league) Therefore, doing this might reduce parity which is was we are trying to avoid. The fact is not everybody has the same amount of time to find these guys. I've been in this league for years now and there were times I was finding lots of guys that were poached away and times in which my personal life was busy and was thankful others were finding and posting because I didn't have time at the moment so I see both sides. The best thing might be a compromise to implement something not too drastic.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rotodojo

• All-Star
    • :TEN:
    • :HOU-NBA:
    • :PHO:
    • :NYM:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 02:53:28 AM »
What do you mean by expansion style protection rules?

Basehock like the Vegas Golden Knights. New owners select players from an unprotected list. I thought it might change the depth and could lower the transactions while also increasing the other teams attractiveness to new owners. However,  the amount of orphan teams is higher than the fantrax owner list suggests and an increase in teams likely raises the transactions back up so I see the need for a limit.

What do you mean by expansion style protection y
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kidd5jersey

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 11:51:29 PM »
1) I could probably get a person or two to join from Wonderboy

2) Transaction limit.  I wouldn't limit yearly transactions.  Lets add a column with MLB options to the sheets.  After the three options are done, they must clear waivers. 

3) I will volunteer to help with sheets.  I think we should look at the daily service time adder as well.  I did it in Wonderboy and it wasn't hard but just one more step. 

4) I agree.  This site is on its last legs it seems like. 

5) Contraction.  I think 30 teams makes it more realistic.  Has the idea of making it a money league ever been talked about?  It always seems people are more competitive if money is on the line.

6) Minor league signings.  Yes, this needs to be increased.  Perhaps allow the 'finding' team a multiplier?  Say like a 50% multiplier where if the finding team closes on the deal, the salary hit is only half of the bid. 

I think there are some other things to look at: 
A) Scheduling.  I have a format for 162 game schedule where it plays out exactly like MLB.
B) Offseason FA.  I am in a hockey league that uses REAL time bidding on Google Sheet.  This will limit the work that has to be done by leaders of league.  It is very, very innovative.  I could share a copy from my buddy Alex. 
C) Draft Pick Trading.  It is not allowed in MLB, and specific owners in the past just trade all of their picks.  This leaves the farm barren. 
D) Salary Caps.  I think winning should be rewarded.  Have variable caps been discussed?
E) 40man active rosters.  That's too many players because not every team will have a playable roster. 

What do you guys think?

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline ldsjayhawk

• Legend
    • :CLS:
    • :Kansas:
    • :SKC:
    • :KC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 02:13:05 AM »
The version of this league that was a money league has already died.  I don't think it would be more successful as a money league.  And I would be out if it turned into a money league.  I don't play money leagues.

I like having the salary caps the same in the league.  It is the only league that I play in that maintains similar salary caps.  It brings variety into my life.  :)

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
FGM :win: :SEA: 2017 + 2x AL West Div
BUSH AL :Bronze: :KC: 2021 + 4x AL Central Div
AFB AL :Bronze: :KC: 2012 + 1x Div
AFB NL :Bronze: :COL: 2018 + 2x Div

Offline Maydab23

• All-Star
    • :LAL:
    • :UCLA:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 03:10:42 AM »
1) I could probably get a person or two to join from Wonderboy

2) Transaction limit.  I wouldn't limit yearly transactions.  Lets add a column with MLB options to the sheets.  After the three options are done, they must clear waivers. 

3) I will volunteer to help with sheets.  I think we should look at the daily service time adder as well.  I did it in Wonderboy and it wasn't hard but just one more step. 

4) I agree.  This site is on its last legs it seems like. 

5) Contraction.  I think 30 teams makes it more realistic.  Has the idea of making it a money league ever been talked about?  It always seems people are more competitive if money is on the line.

6) Minor league signings.  Yes, this needs to be increased.  Perhaps allow the 'finding' team a multiplier?  Say like a 50% multiplier where if the finding team closes on the deal, the salary hit is only half of the bid. 

I think there are some other things to look at: 
A) Scheduling.  I have a format for 162 game schedule where it plays out exactly like MLB.
B) Offseason FA.  I am in a hockey league that uses REAL time bidding on Google Sheet.  This will limit the work that has to be done by leaders of league.  It is very, very innovative.  I could share a copy from my buddy Alex. 
C) Draft Pick Trading.  It is not allowed in MLB, and specific owners in the past just trade all of their picks.  This leaves the farm barren. 
D) Salary Caps.  I think winning should be rewarded.  Have variable caps been discussed?
E) 40man active rosters.  That's too many players because not every team will have a playable roster. 

What do you guys think?

To touch on the topics you brought up

A) Im interested. Jeremy (Phillies) re-did our schedule already for last year though and it was much better than years past imo. He is our resident schedule expert so I'd be interested to see what he thinks.
B) im definitely interested. PM me more info on this when you get a chance. Worth looking into.
C) I've always wondered this as well but it's a definitely in the fabric of the league. We've recently implemented some rules to prevent teams from just selling off a bunch of future picks. Personally, I would be okay with curtailing it more. Not sure if that would have owners support though.
D) I like the idea of every team having the same. Rewarding winning teams with more money just creates more imbalance and I want more parity in the league not less.
E) Was more of an admin thing. 40man mimics real life. It's only actually 25 "active" roster spots. If you put the 15 extra on the farm it just creates more needless roster shuffling. This helps simplify spreadsheets.

Love the discussion!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline indiansnation

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :CLE-NFL:
    • :CLE-NBA:
    • :OhioState:
    • :CLS-MLS:
    • :CLE:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 09:08:33 AM »
I can help out with everything but doing spreadsheets. I dont have a computer and just use my phone. I can move topics and add players to their teams.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
So it seems there's agreement on a couple of things at least. 

1) Contraction should be put off and have a more concerted recruitment effort. 
2) Some type of benefit for teams posting minor league free agents.  4x or 3x initial bid or 50% off initial poster's bid.
3) Some type of transaction limit to prevent streaming marginal players. 
4) Some help for recruitment, board transactions, and the spreadsheets. 

The real time blind bidding is something that maybe we can take a look at.  I know there was at least one league that tried that here with sending bids to an email address but it presents some problems if it's done poorly.  Hard to stay within your budget if you're not sure if you've won or lost players or even if you won two players of which you only needed one but bid on both because you didn't want to lose out on them.     

As for money league, I don't mind that but perhaps it could be an optional thing.  Those who want to put up some cash would partake in the winnings and those who don't wouldn't.  It's always an issue with rebuilding teams putting up money when they know they won't win for a few years.

Anyway, my thoughts. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »
Forgot to mention draft picks.  I feel this is part of a larger discussion which is protecting franchises from themselves.  When it comes to trading picks there is sometimes a bit of an uproar in the league that doesn't exist when a team doesn't sign minor league free agents, or gives bad contracts in free agency, or doesn't use their international money.  If you're not exercising your ability to use all of the mechanisms available to you in this league then you're losing out.  I would say the difference in trading picks is that you're at least getting some value.  I think you will find that some of the teams that have engaged in trading their picks in recent years are the same teams that didn't use their picks in previous drafts.  The drafts are in the history section, you can go see for yourselves.

From a personal standpoint, I can confirm it is incredibly difficult to rebuild an entire franchise in this league.  It's took me 3 years to build mine.  Without being able to get additional picks it would probably have taken even longer.  I think a year or two ago we put in the rule that you couldn't trade your first round pick in 3 consecutive seasons because some teams started trading those picks every year.  Maybe we can upgrade that protection somehow.   
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline ldsjayhawk

• Legend
    • :Kansas:
    • :SKC:
    • :KC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 05:34:37 PM »
On the topic of minor league free agents, here is a suggestion that I have seen come up elsewhere that I have found interesting, maybe it was here.  If the originating team does not win the bid, there is a "fee" paid to the finding team.  It might be an interesting proposal. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
FGM :win: :SEA: 2017 + 2x AL West Div
BUSH AL :Bronze: :KC: 2021 + 4x AL Central Div
AFB AL :Bronze: :KC: 2012 + 1x Div
AFB NL :Bronze: :COL: 2018 + 2x Div

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :SA:
    • :Texas:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 07:46:21 PM »
To touch on the topics you brought up

A) Im interested. Jeremy (Phillies) re-did our schedule already for last year though and it was much better than years past imo. He is our resident schedule expert so I'd be interested to see what he thinks.
B) im definitely interested. PM me more info on this when you get a chance. Worth looking into.
C) I've always wondered this as well but it's a definitely in the fabric of the league. We've recently implemented some rules to prevent teams from just selling off a bunch of future picks. Personally, I would be okay with curtailing it more. Not sure if that would have owners support though.
D) I like the idea of every team having the same. Rewarding winning teams with more money just creates more imbalance and I want more parity in the league not less.
E) Was more of an admin thing. 40man mimics real life. It's only actually 25 "active" roster spots. If you put the 15 extra on the farm it just creates more needless roster shuffling. This helps simplify spreadsheets.

Love the discussion!

Don't care for a 162 game schedule.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • TheGOAT: Daddy pm
    March 18, 2024, 07:52:41 PM
  • Daddy: Back sir GOAT
    March 18, 2024, 08:33:18 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent.. as do i sir. As do i.
    March 18, 2024, 08:34:31 PM
  • Braves155: Around for deal talks - Any sport
    March 18, 2024, 09:32:06 PM
  • Braves155: @Brent FrickTheSaints #FTS
    March 18, 2024, 10:25:30 PM
  • Daddy: :rofl:
    March 18, 2024, 10:36:13 PM
  • Daddy: Cant wait for Vikings vs Saints in LIVE
    March 18, 2024, 10:37:16 PM
  • Braves155: Snell to SanFran 2 yrs/62M
    March 18, 2024, 10:42:49 PM
  • indiansnation: Giants To Sign Blake Snell March 18th, 2024 at 8:45pm CST • By Anthony Franco 8:45pm: Snell receives a $15MM salary for the upcoming season and has a $17MM signing bonus that will not be paid until 2026, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle (on X). That indicates he’ll be deciding on whether to opt out of a $30MM salary next winter, although the delayed date on the payment of the bonus reduces the team’s short-term commitment.  8:23pm: Blake Snell is in agreement with the Giants on a two-year, $62MM contract that allows him to opt out after the upcoming season, reports Jon Heyman of the New York Post (X link). San Francisco adds the defending NL Cy Young winner to the top of a staff that also includes last year’s runner-up, Logan Webb.  ADVERTISEMENT
    March 18, 2024, 10:48:21 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I didnt know we could type that much into 1 comment lol
    March 18, 2024, 10:50:20 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: LFGGGG SNELLIZA TO THE BAY
    March 18, 2024, 10:55:55 PM
  • Daddy: Celebrate this San Francisco [link] ;)
    March 18, 2024, 11:45:47 PM
  • TheGOAT: IndianaBuc pm
    March 19, 2024, 08:51:13 PM
  • Braves155: Who dealing in baseball?
    March 19, 2024, 10:37:10 PM
  • TheGOAT: Jwalkerjr pm
    March 20, 2024, 08:08:57 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back goat
    March 20, 2024, 05:52:15 PM
  • TheGOAT: Daddy pm
    March 20, 2024, 07:44:45 PM
  • Daddy: Thats a great response. #respect
    March 20, 2024, 08:01:50 PM
  • TheGOAT: Thank You
    March 20, 2024, 08:05:04 PM
  • Brent: Looks like Ohtani might be going down.  Let's see how this shakes out.  Translator and best friend fired by Dodgers for stealing millions from Ohtani and illegal gambling.  Hmm, okay.
    March 20, 2024, 09:35:21 PM
  • jmntl82: Yeah there isn’t any chance he wasn’t involved
    March 20, 2024, 10:04:47 PM
  • Daddy: Damn :doh:
    March 20, 2024, 10:11:40 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: celebrate that LA
    March 20, 2024, 10:27:15 PM
  • Daddy: Well, im a Ram fan that loves Philadelphia Sports. I agree, take that Dodgers! Go Phils!!!
    March 20, 2024, 10:33:02 PM
  • Daddy: Something in the water in California ;)
    March 20, 2024, 10:34:01 PM
  • Daddy: They would legalize meth but gambling oh nooooo.
    March 20, 2024, 10:35:12 PM
  • Brent: I've lived in Japan for 3 years and Okinawa for 3 years.  You could legit leave you car unlocked with money on the dash board in a public parking lot, come back and the money is still there.
    March 20, 2024, 10:43:11 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Im a fan of Japanese culture
    March 20, 2024, 11:05:07 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: From power rangers and pokemon as a kid, to the edo period, anime, video games, and ninjas
    March 20, 2024, 11:05:58 PM
  • Brent: Best  comment I gave seen on the Ohtani gambling scandal.  "Pete Rose wishes he had an interpreter"
    March 21, 2024, 12:25:08 AM
  • Brent: Have seen
    March 21, 2024, 12:25:18 AM
  • Daddy: And i wish i had a friend that covers my debts. I aint got $500k to put on Temple but thats the kind of friends i need.
    March 21, 2024, 12:27:31 AM
  • Daddy: Where yall at?????
    March 21, 2024, 12:28:32 AM
  • Braves155: There's nothin wrong with the good ol' nudie bar and a few lap dances. Who needs alcohol/drugs/scandal
    March 21, 2024, 08:09:08 AM
  • Braves155: For trade talks/chat in general, if anyone wants my cell #, msg me
    March 21, 2024, 08:37:22 AM
  • dbreer23: Life was so much simpler (maybe not better) before the internet...
    March 21, 2024, 11:47:48 AM
  • Daddy: It was better for me. My parents were alive, grand parents, and a multitude of mistakes had not yet occured. Many of them internet related.
    March 21, 2024, 04:28:54 PM
  • Alpha5: We really should be doing March Madness brackets
    March 21, 2024, 06:31:31 PM
  • jmntl82: I did one on paper and left it on my desk and it went missing so someone must’ve decided it was perfect
    March 22, 2024, 08:41:01 AM
  • janesvilleaces: Padres mlb live here all day for deals..lots of young talent..looking for 3b or 1b...rp...
    March 22, 2024, 09:08:50 AM
  • Colby: :bump:
    March 22, 2024, 09:59:59 AM
  • STLBlues91: Catching up on messages. Busy week with conferences and finishing state testing. Will send replies in a few
    March 22, 2024, 10:05:56 PM
  • indiansnation: If anybody wants to talk mlb live trade talk hit me up with a pm
    March 24, 2024, 10:19:08 AM
  • Daddy: Yeah baseball is starting up. The "long season" is here.
    March 24, 2024, 12:55:24 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL PLAYOFFS Round 1 RESULTS here ==> [link]
    March 25, 2024, 10:11:43 AM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE business is picking up. Trades & FA are back in action.
    March 27, 2024, 06:07:10 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 12:54:15 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: daddy pm
    Yesterday at 01:07:25 PM
  • Daddy: Opening Day Gents!!!
    Yesterday at 02:44:35 PM
  • Daddy: Business is booming in MLB LIVE. Get those teams ready... Its WAR gentlemen.
    Yesterday at 07:43:15 PM