Author Topic: The Offense Is Still A Problem In Pittsburgh  (Read 606 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
  • Founder
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
The Offense Is Still A Problem In Pittsburgh
« on: May 08, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »
The Pittsburgh Pirates Struggled again on Sunday as the Reds thwarted a first inning bases loaded threat after McGehee lined out then McClouth struck out. McGehee's shot was snared, a really good defensive play. McClouth's at bat was very similar to his last 2 years. Not productive.

The Pirates were not able to muster much after that point and the Reds were able to score on Morton has he had his second not so great start in a row. Final score was 5-0 and it was not even that close. Barajas and Barmes, the ANTI KILLER B's have continued to be lousy. I called them the Anti because if you remember the early 90's with Bonds and Bonillia and how good they were. We referred to them as the Killer B's. The only reason McClouth played yesterday is because McCutheon was still struggling with the stomach virus.

I have written, and even spoke about this, so I do not need to spend too much time on it. The B's need to be sat for a while. Having either one in the game at any one time is too much. Start McKenry and Harrison. You are not getting silver sluggers out of either guy. But, Neither player is an automatic out. Harrison has shown the ability to get on base in some cases at a high rate. As for McClouth, the only way he will ever have a chance to excel is if he starts every day. He is not the same player he was 3 years ago, and the player we see as a pinch hitter looks closer to the player he was in Atlanta. In this outfield, he will never be more than a pinch hitter or a guy to give each of the outfielders a chance to sit and rest of a day. He might even be primed for a return to AAA. If Sterling Marte is OK after the ball that he took off his hand, then it is time to bring him up and send McClouth down to get right. I would platoon him with Tabata and Presley as both players have struggled on and off to start the season. The Pirates need a spark, and he could be just what the doctor ordered.

I think it is important to see Burnett rebound this week after that horrible game last week. And couple that with the Bucs losing 2 of 3 to Cincinnati over the weekend, it is time to see this team step up. I think they can, but it will take a group effort and that includes Hurdle. He needs to sit the guys that are holding the team back the most regardless of what position they play, and he needs to manage each game as if it is crunch time, or playoff time. He can not let this team fall backwards any further. I know he does not manage to lose games, but it is now May and it is a little late to be worrying about getting guys at bats or jump started that really do not figure in long term.

This will be a fun week to watch and pay attention to see what direction this team decides to go. If you would like to follow me on Twitter you can @sportsmonger and on Sports Monger Radio.

Be sure to check out other great articles at pittsburghsportsmonger.com.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Rhino called his last year.
    Yesterday at 12:22:15 AM
  • Daddy: And that smack talk prompted an immediate NFL LIVE Trade. Yup.
    Yesterday at 12:25:31 AM
  • Daddy: Welcome back to profsl you LEGEND you. kylerap!!
    Yesterday at 12:28:30 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Jwalker yss
    Yesterday at 12:44:27 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yes possibly I have cap to make some moves
    Yesterday at 12:45:00 AM
  • Daddy: @BAB you hear the AFC guys calling us out?
    Yesterday at 12:45:43 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: I did
    Yesterday at 01:48:28 AM
  • Braves155: Hey guys, will be around today for deal talks. Been busy of late
    Yesterday at 10:54:05 AM
  • Braves155: PM indiansnation
    Yesterday at 11:36:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves 155 pm
    Yesterday at 12:26:49 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 x2 pm
    Yesterday at 12:44:23 PM
  • Braves155: Replied
    Yesterday at 01:07:51 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Yesterday at 02:11:57 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: 2024 NFL Live Draft Player Pool [link]
    Yesterday at 02:12:31 PM
  • Daddy: If it doesn't include the UDFAs its not completed.
    Yesterday at 02:18:07 PM
  • Daddy: Of course it does include them so we good :)
    Yesterday at 02:36:30 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE Draft 8/1/24 8PM EST you dont want to have your dog eat your computer that day Gents!
    Yesterday at 02:37:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talks
    Yesterday at 03:29:00 PM
  • Daddy: Baseball FRENZY never stops
    Yesterday at 04:28:04 PM
  • Daddy: Weve processed more baseball transactions in one month than i ever remember in any league but NFL LIVE. This is in all my years.
    Yesterday at 04:28:45 PM
  • Daddy: And.. thats the goal. If everyone is active and everyone is competitive that has always been the goal.
    Yesterday at 04:29:55 PM
  • Braves155: I'm around for talks
    Yesterday at 11:01:43 PM
  • dbreer23: bigfry pm
    Yesterday at 11:33:46 PM
  • DaveW: braves155 PM
    Today at 08:55:17 AM
  • Braves155: Responded Dave
    Today at 09:18:16 AM
  • Braves155: I'm around for any trade talks. MLB/NFL
    Today at 10:26:07 AM
  • Braves155: PM MtCrushmore
    Today at 10:36:45 AM
  • Braves155: PM Alpha5
    Today at 11:15:16 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 11:36:03 AM
  • indiansnation: Indians in mlb live looking to make a trade or 2
    Today at 11:47:48 AM
  • indiansnation: Willing to listen to offers on turang 2bb
    Today at 11:48:33 AM
  • Braves155: INdinsnation...I'm looking for another deal or 2 s well in MLB LIVE
    Today at 12:29:05 PM
  • Daddy: Yall gonna be in trouble when the new NCAA football (EA Sports) drops next month on the PS5. That is the GOAT franchise.
    Today at 12:50:37 PM
  • Braves155: Also - NFL LIVE...LFG! Looking to make a move or 2 as well guys!
    Today at 12:51:37 PM
  • indiansnation: Davew pm
    Today at 01:28:18 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 send u trade offer u never got back to me
    Today at 01:29:02 PM
  • IndianaBuc: Braves155 PM
    Today at 01:44:32 PM
  • Braves155: Replied IndianaBuc. Indiansnation...will look thru my PMs
    Today at 02:23:52 PM
  • DaveW: back to you Brian
    Today at 02:28:48 PM
  • Braves155: Back Brian
    Today at 02:30:33 PM
  • Daddy: If i have 10 top level AA prospects each in the top 10 of the franchise vs one middle of the road pitcher like Cal Quantrill (or pick a guy) which one of those two packages are more valuable?
    Today at 02:39:26 PM
  • Daddy: If you think its the AA guys send me a pm.
    Today at 02:40:07 PM
  • Daddy: Also... Ive got a nice private island full of beautiful women to sell you. Pay me upfront and i will send you its coordinates. We call it the Virgin Daddy Islands. $5k reserves it for your future.
    Today at 02:41:59 PM
  • dbreer23: Take two to tango, though. Most owners with adequate or surplus SP aren't interested in prospects as they're trying to win now.
    Today at 02:42:54 PM
  • Daddy: Agreed. But most does not equal all.
    Today at 02:45:09 PM
  • Braves155: My issue in LIVE currently is having Strider/Alcantara/Giolito all on the long shelf, so I am more retooling than rebuilding
    Today at 02:46:48 PM
  • Daddy: Also agreed. Top quality pitching probably means not much depth. A few injuries can challenge you. Pitching other than top end pitching has been devalued in fantasy. Everyone wants the stud.
    Today at 02:49:24 PM
  • Braves155: But I myself could use some time on a nudie island with some hot women
    Today at 02:49:45 PM
  • Daddy: I here to tell you that ALL major league pitching is good pitching. A great hitter beats a terrible pitcher just 3 out of 10 times. Which means the worst pitchers > the greatest hitters.
    Today at 02:50:33 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day for any talks
    Today at 03:25:59 PM