Author Topic: Buffer Funding for Playoff Runs  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
Buffer Funding for Playoff Runs
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:17:23 PM »
Dan brought this up a while back, and I was one of them who turned his idea down.  I thought about it again and it deserves some credence, and would another exciting element to our game.

Here is my proposal for 2011...

As of July 1st, if a team is within the top 50% of teams (tiebreakers included) in the standings then they are awarded a buffer fund.  The buffer fund is equal to 20% of their salary cap, but no more than $20m. 

Teams may use this money only for FA and traded players that will help them win that year.  To enforce this notion, such teams will not be allowed to trade away, nor release, any player that would be a Type A or Type B free agent if they were in FA the following winter.  These are players in the top 40% current production at their position during the year.

Teams that do not wish to use such funding, and are considering themselves to be sellers, must forfeit the right to use such monies as of July 1st.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Canada8999

Re: Buffer Funding for Playoff Runs
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:49:38 PM »
Dan brought this up a while back, and I was one of them who turned his idea down.  I thought about it again and it deserves some credence, and would another exciting element to our game.

Here is my proposal for 2011...

As of July 1st, if a team is within the top 50% of teams (tiebreakers included) in the standings then they are awarded a buffer fund.  The buffer fund is equal to 20% of their salary cap, but no more than $20m. 

Teams may use this money only for FA and traded players that will help them win that year.  To enforce this notion, such teams will not be allowed to trade away, nor release, any player that would be a Type A or Type B free agent if they were in FA the following winter.  These are players in the top 40% current production at their position during the year.

Teams that do not wish to use such funding, and are considering themselves to be sellers, must forfeit the right to use such monies as of July 1st.

What's the motivation?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »
What do you mean, motivation?  In real life, teams in the hunt add players (which expand payroll temporarily) who are usually at the end of their contracts to aid their playoff chase.  I guess our salary caps already include such payrolls because our numbers are based on the end of the year.  Oh well... :rool:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »
Yeah but last year is different than this year. If the real life Reds were competing, don't you think they would add payroll to go up against the Cardinals (I use them because they are the favorites in real life MLB). If the Reds could add a pitcher, and have to pay him say 2 mil for the remainder of the season, I think they would do that to enhance their playoff chances. It is a time honered tradition, also known as getting Boston's and Atlanta's prospects.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »
I think it's a valid suggestion, but I'm worried about the repercussions... the singly most common problem leagues will have is with heavily lopsided long-term vs short-term dump trades - we already see that, but it's at a healthy level so far.  I anticipate we'll see it ratchet up a notch as teams gear up for the playoffs, and this kind of rule would probably magnify that... do we want to?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:25:47 PM »
I think it's a valid suggestion, but I'm worried about the repercussions... the singly most common problem leagues will have is with heavily lopsided long-term vs short-term dump trades - we already see that, but it's at a healthy level so far.  I anticipate we'll see it ratchet up a notch as teams gear up for the playoffs, and this kind of rule would probably magnify that... do we want to?

The thing is, I can support your case Ben because we will find with 30 active GMs (we have a damn good league here), there will always be a market for a cash dump.  Baltimore, Atlanta, Kansas City, San Diego, Washington, and Florida are all teams that appear to be headed into the losing direction with over $10m in cap space.  I am sure every one of them will take advantage of such a situation by acquiring top prospects and temporarily taking on bad contracts.

I guess if we made a rule that gave the teams in the hunt more money then it takes away a trading advantage for the teams that are out of it.  All they have to offer are some veterans.  Currently, their advantage is not just the players but the cap room.  It may sound odd that these are the teams with the cap room, but it's neat how it worked out this way.  Just as in real life, this teams are building for next year and beyond and NOT this year.  Therefore, they aren't jacking up the payroll for a run at the playoffs.  The big market teams and small market ones that feel they are in the hunt like my Pirates have jacked up their payroll before the trade frenzy of the summer hit.

Like I said, and you said Ben, maybe our system is very good, and it opens up unique trading opportunities for teams that badly need such opportunities.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 09:51:55 AM »
Just to chime in...

I can see good points from both perspectives, but to me the troubling number is 20% of cap, as it just amplifies the already built in advantage of having a big market team.  In this scenario, a team like my Rays would at most be able to add 14M while the Yankees and other larger teams would gain an additional 6M to work with (capped at 20M).  Not trying to sound like a whiner, but in real life small market teams must lobby with officials to try and tilt the landscape towards their favor. 

To speak generally, a team with a 70M-80M cap ENTERS the season at a disadvantage, to me, this rule idea only amplifies the gap.  Just my two cents, I'll go along with whatever (considering I'm probably not in the playoff hunt anyways lol).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 10:05:32 AM »
Michael pointed out another good reason as to why this rule would already spread the gap.  Ben, you re-convinced me, and I then put out a supporting argument for your side.  I think the case is rested, but I will keep this thread active just to see if others want to chime in.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »
A very valid point by Michael.  I would have to disagree with this proposal as it is.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 01:23:50 AM »
I am also not fond of this proposal for the reasons already given.  Overall, I think the downside of it outweighs the benefits.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: you might get one shortly if things progress
    May 26, 2024, 06:06:09 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: jwalker replied
    May 26, 2024, 06:19:35 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back BAB
    May 26, 2024, 06:33:24 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: back at ya jwalker
    May 26, 2024, 06:34:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy your wwait wont me much longer
    May 26, 2024, 07:39:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: deal abt to be posted here soon
    May 26, 2024, 07:39:43 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: there u have it teh 2 superbowl teams have made a deal
    May 26, 2024, 07:48:33 PM
  • Rhino7: :toast:
    May 26, 2024, 07:50:49 PM
  • dbreer23: Acuna to miss the rest of 2024 - torn ACL in left knee (last time was his right knee0
    May 26, 2024, 11:41:43 PM
  • jimw: Wow, he had said he thought it wasn't that serious.  I hope he can overcome these knee injuries
    Yesterday at 12:41:59 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Jimw pm sent
    Yesterday at 01:17:16 AM
  • STLBlues91: im around the rest of the day
    Yesterday at 03:08:45 PM
  • Daddy: Acuna fantasy owners world round didn't want to hear that. Not sure who has him in LIVE but its universally devastating news for Acuna fans.
    Yesterday at 03:30:59 PM
  • Daddy: Anyone feeling down, can perk up because the Philadelphia Phillies are good at baseball.
    Yesterday at 03:32:54 PM
  • Daddy: I feel better already.
    Yesterday at 03:33:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Good afternoon all
    Yesterday at 04:00:17 PM
  • indiansnation: It is 3:20pm and the phillies still suck.
    Yesterday at 04:17:18 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i hope phillies choke this lead
    Yesterday at 07:34:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Ask and I shall receive way to go giants
    Yesterday at 07:47:52 PM
  • Daddy: Playing Cleveland this week... I will catch SF later.
    Yesterday at 08:13:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: srry daddy as a giants fan we needed to win this game vs yall
    Yesterday at 08:24:12 PM
  • Daddy: Ditto LIVE. Youre in a remarkable battle. Revenge to me comes in whatever way i can get it. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 08:29:05 PM
  • Daddy: Hockey is coming. A new battlefield.
    Yesterday at 08:30:53 PM
  • Daddy: Who wants my picks? :rofl:
    Yesterday at 08:31:23 PM
  • indiansnation: I want your hockey picks
    Yesterday at 08:46:56 PM
  • Daddy: I would only trade them to LA and LA has no current profsl owner.
    Yesterday at 08:48:11 PM
  • Daddy: Some outside talent dont like the site by looks alone and we are very manual. Its an acquired taste.
    Yesterday at 08:50:10 PM
  • indiansnation: U suck lol
    Yesterday at 08:50:39 PM
  • Daddy: On site hockey talent are "get off my lawn" types that aren't interested in seeing what all the fuss is about. And Brian we can talk but i dont want Grandpa Sid.
    Yesterday at 08:52:29 PM
  • Daddy: Edmonton could get my picks
    Yesterday at 08:53:05 PM
  • Daddy: He talking McDavid type talk. Me like Connor.
    Yesterday at 08:53:34 PM
  • Daddy: All those junior hockey dudes we looked up and put on yalls rosters. I dont know them dudes. I might cut half them jokers.
    Yesterday at 08:56:49 PM
  • Daddy: Ive learned more about global hockey in the last 3 months than i knew my entire life. My brains are scrambled. STLBlues91- brains are scrambled. Fried man.
    Yesterday at 08:58:38 PM
  • Daddy: On to Basketball :)
    Yesterday at 08:59:13 PM
  • Daddy: You have an NHL team. An AHL team. And a 50 player Junior league development squad. In a legit 30 Category dynasty hockey contract league.
    Yesterday at 09:02:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve never seen anything like that. Nobody has ever seen anything like that. Not in Dynasty hockey. You're welcome. ;)
    Yesterday at 09:03:16 PM
  • Daddy: Franchise? That's what a Franchise looks like.
    Yesterday at 09:07:12 PM
  • STLBlues91: Working on the matching now between spreadsheet/fantrax. My head hurts but got about 12 of them fully done and believe they are 100% good to go. Taking a dinner break and back to plugging in info
    Yesterday at 09:15:38 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be back in 20 minutes all pms have been answered
    Yesterday at 09:18:31 PM
  • indiansnation: I feel bad for stlblues91 this guy is busting his but getting everything ready for NFL live
    Yesterday at 11:53:15 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching Dallas stars comeback and beat edm
    Yesterday at 11:54:24 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: im happy to see teh stars doing that for my boi pavs
    Today at 12:03:46 AM
  • indiansnation: That had to be one of the best hockey playoff games I seen this yr
    Today at 12:32:34 AM
  • indiansnation: Anybody want to talk trade
    Today at 12:33:26 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: stars are a tough team
    Today at 12:33:29 AM
  • indiansnation: It was just amazing how Edmonton was leading and then all of a sudden 2 period starts and Dallas just took over after that and just kicked Edmonton ass
    Today at 12:35:55 AM
  • Daddy: Flyers have the 12th overall pick & whatever Florida finishes with.
    Today at 01:09:39 AM
  • Daddy: We are open for business.
    Today at 01:10:32 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: sharks could be interested in those picks
    Today at 01:16:53 AM
  • STLBlues91: STL will be open for business as well
    Today at 01:23:26 AM