Dynasty NHL

Author Topic: Rebuilding - From Bottom of the Barrel to top of the Mountain?  (Read 551 times)

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
Rebuilding - From Bottom of the Barrel to top of the Mountain?
« on: January 22, 2018, 12:30:33 PM »
Just wanted to say that this year is still wide open for many teams to win.  As dominate as the Blues have been they've also lost 7 times.  I wouldn't call that a slam dunk to win the cup.  It takes just 1 bad week for them or great week from someone else to knock them out of the playoffs.  So, lets get some trades cooking.

Normally I like to write about the top teams competing for a playoff spot, but now I'd like to flip it and see what the teams at the bottom are cultivating.  Maybe they will be good in a few years, or maybe they are the NHL Coyotes and no amount of high draft picks can make you even mediocre.  This is going in reverse order of points scored.  There are only 6 teams that aren't in playoff contention, so obviously those are the only teams that need to worry about rebuilding. 

1.  Arizona Coyotes  (1-31)  -  They are going to have what can be called a metric ton (because what does metric mean?  it is clearly just a nonsense term) of cap space next year at 58.3m.  They have 21 former 1st round picks.  21   7 picks in the next draft and 4 the year after.  Have the best goalie prospect in Samsanov, and then guys like Jarry and Lindgren which have proven they are NHL competent. Tolvanen just set a KHL record for being real good at hockey.  Kyrou went bonkers at world juniors this year.  This team is going to be a nightmare if even half of the players pan out.  May the spirit of Chiarelli stay far away from this team. Future grade of - A

2.  New York Rangers (1-31) - Perhaps a victim of a pretty stagnant trading year or maybe they just like to have veteran leadership on a struggling team these Rangers have some "which one of these pieces is not like the other" going on.  Marleau, Marcus Johansson, Ryan Miller and Jared Coreau don't really have any place and would probably get some nice prospects back.  They've got 40.5m in cap space next season and 14 former 1st round picks marinating.  Boeser is the crown jewel of this future movement with Jarnkrok, Hyman, and Dumba are all young and have been a real solid players in the NHL.  Dumba flashing some elite abilities as of late.  Elias Pettersson is the Swedish version of Tolvanen; having just a tremendous season bettering someone called P. Forsberg.  Cody Glass, Olli Juolevi, Taylor Raddysh, Jonah Gadjovich, Cliff Pu and Julien Gauthier all as real solid prospects.  These Rangers don't give me as much of a fizzing feeling as the Coyotes, but should come back to being real competitive in a few years.   Future grade of - B

3.  Vegas Golden Knights (6-26) -  These guys are closer to being a playoff team than a bottom dweller.  They have all the high end talent needed to compete, but they don't have the depth players or starting goalies.  Grubauer and Subban may very well change that problem as soon as next year though.  40.2m in cap space next year, and I bet Eric thought he was real sly changing his team to the Knights thinking he'd be getting loads of high NHL Vegas picks to choose from, but instead he'll be the ass of the NHL centipede.  Getzlaf on this team is intriguing.  He is having a dynamite year and if some other teams wanted to compete would probably trade for him and net the Knights a big haul, but if he can keep producing will be a formidable elder statesman on a competitive team next year.  Ehlers, Namestnikov, Laine, Lindholm, Orlov, Mantha, Chychrun and Clayton Keller are all young, cheap and top tier NHL producers.  Dvorak, Dylan Strome, Galchenyuk, Hischier, and Athanasiou are super talented with room to grow.  This team also has 21 former first round picks, but is fielding a full team unlike the DNHL Coyotes, so I guess that makes it less impressive.  Scherbak, Dal Colle, Jason Robertson, and Nic Petan are leading the prospect pool.  If they wanted to they could be a playoff team next year with some moves in the goalie department.  Future grade of - A to A+ with some goalies panning out

4.   Chicago Blackhaws (11-21)  -  It is bitter sweet to see a fellow Central Easter on the bottom.  Bitter sweet like a delicious hot cocoa, not like a thing that is both good and bad.  This is just good.  33.6m in cap space next year with 4 picks, 2 of them being 1st rounders. With only 9 former 1st round picks The Hawks are in that awkward stage of life where they grew too big too fast and just aren't coordinated enough to be good at sports.   The defense is swiss cheese and has only Senyshyn that moves the needle coming up.  Some good NHL players now with Brassard, Saad, Myers, Jordan Staal and Panarin with guys like Schmaltz, Sprong, Bratt (he is no mirage like Giuseppe), Debrincat, Kerfoot (really dependent on PP, might be a Giuseppe) all playing well.  You'd think Reinhart, Lehkonen, and Virtanen are all going to improve, but just havn't to date.  Lias Andersson looks to be the real deal and Linus Ullmark seems to have the NHL Sabres blessing as their future goalie.  Overall a future grade of - C+  , but Anthony is a former champ and will steer this team right

5.   Pittsburgh Penguins (8-24)  -  To me, in what should've been an easy team to start with and remain competitive; you keep Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury and dump everyone else if you get into cap trouble we find these Penguins struggling.  With only 13.9m in cap space, only 2 draft picks in the next couple years and an unstocked minor league roster the hand dealt to Indiansnation is difficult.  Much like being a redheaded male there is only so much you can do for yourself eventually you are going to need a whole lot of luck to find those special someones.  But, already they've got some great finds in William Karlsson and Ryan Spooner (he was passed around by so many teams waiting for him to break through).  Guentzel's potential is being robbed on the NHL Pens 3rd line.  He is a tremendous player and will only get better once he plays with people who can finish his passes.  Perron has been rejuvenated playing in Vegas.  Things are bleak after that with Spezza, Seabrook, Goligoski, Kilorn, Perry, Grabner and Hossa on longer term expensive contracts especially since William Karlsson is going to get P-A-I-D, paid, paid, paid this offseason.  Khudobin and Stalak are nice goalie pieces that could get increased playing time on different teams.  Future grade of - D  , this is a team that needs a busier trading scene to stock for the future.

6.   Detroit Red Wings (11-21)  -  Watching a perennial powerhouse fall is like looking at a guy get hit in the groin.  You know you shouldn't feel so much joy because karma will come back around, but by god it is impossible not to enjoy.  16.6m in cap space next year, all their picks the next 2 seasons, and 10 former 1st rounders.  The biggest impediment to future success is going to be their goalie position and Boone Jenner.  Mason, Howard, Luongo are eating up 17.4m.  Izaman can let Howard walk after the year, but then he loses a starting goalie.  If he pays him then he is paying for a guy on the wrong side of 30 for the next 4-5 years.  Jenner certainly isn't as bad as he is playing this year, but probably not as good as he was 2 years ago, so that contract might soon become an albatross.  Heinen (what a find), Granlund, Dadonov, Buchnevich, Bertuzzi, Bjorkstrand, Beauvillier, Matheson and Oesterle (could still go either way) all look like good to great young NHL players. Sonny Milano,  Kyle Wood, Filip Hronek, Dennis Cholowski, Michael Rasmussen, and Jonathan Dahlen all look like they will be future NHL producers.  An intriguing mix for goalies with old established gents and young guys with promise like Lyon and Linus Soderstrom.  Future grade of - C+ with those goalie contracts dragging the team down

Overall even the bottom teams in our league are moving in a positive direction, which should keep the same old teams from winning and winning.  Hooray to parity!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline Rob

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding - From Bottom of the Barrel to top of the Mountain?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
May the spirit of Chiarelli stay far away from this team.

:rofl: :rofl:

Loved this.  Not just because we don't usually analyze the re-builders like this, so it's refreshing.  But also because I'm not excited to hear what you have to say about my middling Bruins... heh.

Arizona certainly looks like they have the brightest future.  But Vegas, with a bit of TLC, a couple trades, could be a powerhouse NEXT year.  Depth baby.  Let's see it, Eric!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
  • Director of Media Relations
    • :Blank:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding - From Bottom of the Barrel to top of the Mountain?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »
:rofl: :rofl:

Loved this.  Not just because we don't usually analyze the re-builders like this, so it's refreshing.  But also because I'm not excited to hear what you have to say about my middling Bruins... heh.

Arizona certainly looks like they have the brightest future.  But Vegas, with a bit of TLC, a couple trades, could be a powerhouse NEXT year.  Depth baby.  Let's see it, Eric!
Nice job. :iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL:  2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 Backyard NHL Stanley Cup Champion :STL-NHL:

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Sports Fan dynasty legend.
    April 15, 2024, 06:05:16 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I'm in 10
    April 15, 2024, 07:06:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: And active in all
    April 15, 2024, 07:06:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    April 15, 2024, 07:22:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    April 15, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day
    April 15, 2024, 07:27:08 PM
  • Daddy: Youre getting the full experience in that many leagues. There is always something to do.
    April 15, 2024, 07:33:19 PM
  • Daddy: Each league is different so makes you approach things differently.
    April 15, 2024, 07:33:43 PM
  • Jon: i have openings in SEC football 1st year league
    April 15, 2024, 07:54:15 PM
  • Jon: I am pretty sure that I am going to do away with the 64 team league as I can't justify paying the fee that Fantrax wants
    April 15, 2024, 07:54:44 PM
  • Jon: [link]
    April 15, 2024, 07:56:47 PM
  • Daddy: I pay about $500 in fantrax fees. I feel ya Jon.
    April 15, 2024, 08:09:00 PM
  • Daddy: Probably more if i added it all up. All that work + all that money = why very few do it. #Respect
    April 15, 2024, 08:11:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm
    April 15, 2024, 09:52:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w one last pm
    April 16, 2024, 01:01:12 AM
  • indiansnation: Trade posted jim w
    April 16, 2024, 01:02:15 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Two late night deals
    April 16, 2024, 01:18:11 AM
  • Brent: Good morning guys.  Just a heads up, I am cutting back on leagues by a lot.  I'll message the commissioners which ones, but between work, school, fishing and family the thing that is going to get cut is fantasy sports.
    April 16, 2024, 07:30:32 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL WELCOMES OUR NEWEST OWNER BRUISER :judge: BRUISER HAS COMPLETED PURCHASE OF THE ARIZONA/UTHA COYOTES FRANCHISE :PHO2: [link] :PHO2:
    April 16, 2024, 11:37:48 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for deals
    April 16, 2024, 08:13:31 PM
  • indiansnation: Updated trade block in fgm
    April 17, 2024, 12:37:39 AM
  • indiansnation: Indians in mlb live looking to trade
    April 17, 2024, 01:48:22 AM
  • jschwab: Leagues?? I'm in 14 MLB, 2 NHL, 1 NFL and 2 NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 12:33:58 PM
  • jschwab: It's nice being retired with a wife that likes me to stay out of her hair.
    April 17, 2024, 12:34:21 PM
  • jschwab: Oh yeah, and now 1 big honkin' NCAA
    April 17, 2024, 12:34:50 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Haha nice jschwab
    April 17, 2024, 12:45:03 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Indians pm
    April 17, 2024, 01:42:37 PM
  • Daddy: @John :rofl: respect
    April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 PM
  • Daddy: Fantasy sports IS MY getaway. Im a Dad, i work, i deal in real world Crap all day. I travel a lot across the country. My Son and others on site know the life. :rofl:
    April 17, 2024, 02:59:59 PM
  • Daddy: I imagine running a league is equivalent to running 10-32 teams by itself. I can do that from the Crapter.
    April 17, 2024, 03:01:15 PM
  • Daddy: And still be a dad, go on trips, get much booty :) . And im an old fart.
    April 17, 2024, 03:02:42 PM
  • Daddy: oh s?, el pap? hace tiempo para mi bot?n.
    April 17, 2024, 03:05:58 PM
  • dbreer23: Mucho respecto!
    April 17, 2024, 03:31:00 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for any deals
    April 17, 2024, 06:58:06 PM
  • Daddy: Michael Porter Jr.'s brother Jontay.... Banned for life by NBA for gambling.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:24 PM
  • Daddy: He bet on his own performance (under) and his team to lose games.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: good riddance
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:11 PM
  • dbreer23: and I'm not even a NBA fan
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:20 PM
  • Daddy: Gambling is as bad an addiction as there is.  This guy comes from money, has a brother thats uber rich, and he himself was in the NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 11:00:36 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS looking very tough for one team :ANA: 155.05 v 236.25 :NYR: with only today's games left to plan. :judge: [link]
    Yesterday at 10:44:33 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any deals
    Yesterday at 06:30:53 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here early for talks.
    Today at 09:14:02 AM
  • Rob: SlackJack and his Arizona Coyotes are DNHL Champs for the 2nd year in a row.  Congrats!!  [link]
    Today at 09:37:43 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Congrats to the 2024 FNHL NYR on winning it all!
    Today at 02:23:56 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco: FNHL FINALS OFFICIAL SCORE :ANA: ANH 160.15 v 247.3 :NYR: NYR
    Today at 02:25:02 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Well done, FNHL's CaliHkyGuy [link] :winner:
    Today at 02:37:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talsk'
    Today at 04:11:46 PM
  • STLBlues91: talks**
    Today at 04:11:51 PM
  • Daddy: Ever since the Academy Awards a couple years back, ive been working on my slap technique.
    Today at 10:21:13 PM
  • Daddy: Being a Philadelphia native, Will Smith has set the bar very high for us and its not like you can just slap random folk for practice.
    Today at 10:22:18 PM