Author Topic: 2019 Rules Change Discussion  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Brent

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NO:
    • :Blank:
    • :LouisianaState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Rules Change Discussion
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »
1. Is there a need for an Anti-Tanking rule?

2. I believe the minor league roster breakdown is out of date.  I don't see a breakdown of the 25 max at each level.  I guess maybe that rule just went away, but is still under the rules section.

I'll post more rules questions as I come across them.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SEA: 2023 Field of Dreams - League Champion
:NOP: 2022-23 Buckets of Dimes - Eastern Conference Champion
:NO: 2021-2022 NFL Live -  30-4 (4-2) 2X NFC Runner-up/1X NFC South Champs
:NO: 2018-2020 NFL Countdown - 37-11 (3-2) 1X NFC Runner Up/2X NFC South Champs
8 ProFSL Hosted League Championships 2010-2019
Proud Member of the Who Dat Nation!

Offline ldsjayhawk

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :CLS:
    • :Kansas:
    • :SKC:
    • :KC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
The 25 man at each level has been eliminated.  It is now just a straight 200 minor leaguers.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
FGM :win: :SEA: 2017 + 2x AL West Div
BUSH AL :Bronze: :KC: 2021 + 4x AL Central Div
AFB AL :Bronze: :KC: 2012 + 1x Div
AFB NL :Bronze: :COL: 2018 + 2x Div

Offline rotodojo

• All-Star
    • :TEN:
    • :HOU-NBA:
    • :PHO:
    • :NYM:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »
1. Is there a need for an Anti-Tanking rule?

I'll post more rules questions as I come across them.

Bonus inPoints: 0
:Blank::Blank::Blank::Blank::Blank:
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Rules: Tanking
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 06:58:01 PM »
Tanking Rule
Beginning in the 2017 season, any team scoring...

Less than 2,000 points lose their 1st round pick for that season.
More than 2,000 but less than 3,000 points loses a 2nd round pick for that season.

Unowned teams will not be subject to this provision.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Brent

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NO:
    • :LouisianaState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »

Bonus inPoints: 0
:Blank::Blank::Blank::Blank::Blank:
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)

Rules: Tanking
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 06:58:01 PM »
Tanking Rule
Beginning in the 2017 season, any team scoring...

Less than 2,000 points lose their 1st round pick for that season.
More than 2,000 but less than 3,000 points loses a 2nd round pick for that season.

Unowned teams will not be subject to this provision.

I read the rule, I just don't see a need for it.  Teams have to suck for a while to get better.  Cubs, Astros, Indians, Braves, etc have all went that route in RL.  To do that in a league that is trying to mimic the MLB makes it that much harder for the teams trying to rebuild.  Looking at the shape of this league, it looks like that rule was put in place to benefit the good teams and allowed super teams to be built since teams in rebuid would get penalized for rebuilding. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SEA: 2023 Field of Dreams - League Champion
:NOP: 2022-23 Buckets of Dimes - Eastern Conference Champion
:NO: 2021-2022 NFL Live -  30-4 (4-2) 2X NFC Runner-up/1X NFC South Champs
:NO: 2018-2020 NFL Countdown - 37-11 (3-2) 1X NFC Runner Up/2X NFC South Champs
8 ProFSL Hosted League Championships 2010-2019
Proud Member of the Who Dat Nation!

Offline rotodojo

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
The current tanking rule may hinder teams because they are so bad they can't score enough to keep their draft picks. However, I would guess the rule was put in because it has been a hot topic in sports and has become a regular occuring problem. Tanking is what the Chicago Black Sox did and there should be a rule against that if a competition is wanted instead of an exhibition. A team may try to win early in the year against one team and then try and lose later in the year to another and that may effect the playoffs. Also, the Cleveland Indians tried to lose and then Willie Mays Hayes had a great year and they won anyway. I don't like the rule either though and I would suggest a losers bracket to prevent the practice with the winning team getting the first pick or require teams to make lineup changes on a weekly basis and make a genuine effort to win judged with the Commissioner's discretion. There is probably only one super team. The New York Mets. Just kidding. It's the Astros. They went undefeated and stockpiled about five times as many picks as they would have in the early rounds if the trading of draft picks weren't allowed. The new teams are having a fire sale and the better teams have the talent to trade and continue to build upon their success with future draft picks thus creating a larger gap amongst the competition. If anyone questions or argues with me I will trade my future draft picks and cheap talent to the top teams for late first round picks and then change my team name to the Tanks. I recently released "El Tanque" Yasmany Tomas if anyone is interested and I have Tanaka. Tank you very much.

P.S. If any of you go against me then you are competing with me and therefore not trying to lose.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:40:51 PM by rotodojo »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline indiansnation

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :CLE-NFL:
    • :CLE-NBA:
    • :OhioState:
    • :CLS-MLS:
    • :CLE:
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 06:20:27 PM »
The current tanking rule may hinder teams because they are so bad they can't score enough to keep their draft picks. However, I would guess the rule was put in because it has been a hot topic in sports and has become a regular occuring problem. Tanking is what the Chicago Black Sox did and there should be a rule against that if a competition is wanted instead of an exhibition. A team may try to win early in the year against one team and then try and lose later in the year to another and that may effect the playoffs. Also, the Cleveland Indians tried to lose and then Willie Mays Hayes had a great year and they won anyway. I don't like the rule either though and I would suggest a losers bracket to prevent the practice with the winning team getting the first pick or require teams to make lineup changes on a weekly basis and make a genuine effort to win judged with the Commissioner's discretion. There is probably only one super team. The New York Mets. Just kidding. It's the Astros. They went undefeated and stockpiled about five times as many picks as they would have in the early rounds if the trading of draft picks weren't allowed. The new teams are having a fire sale and the better teams have the talent to trade and continue to build upon their success with future draft picks thus creating a larger gap amongst the competition. If anyone questions or argues with me I will trade my future draft picks and cheap talent to the top teams for late first round picks and then change my team name to the Tanks. I recently released "El Tanque" Yasmany Tomas if anyone is interested and I have Tanaka. Tank you very much.

P.S. If any of you go against me then you are competing with me and therefore not trying to lose.
I agree with Roto. On this. I think we should put this rule on backburner for right know. There is some gms that our going to have enough a tough time building their roster up . yes my team is young and I do have some wholes in it and I will fill them wholes with fa but my minors for example I have 46 position players in minors out of those guys. Only half of them our even in majors or even playing baseball. That being said their will be some teams if anything like my reds will want to build up their minors so they can compete down the road.  Some of these teams our in rough shape by keeping this rule I feel gms will be harmed by this. We can always monitor teams to make sure they are not tanking.
Most owners will build there build there team up thru draft within 2 to 3 yrs after that then maybe then we should be a concern but right know I think we hold of on this rule until we truly need to use it.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline indiansnation

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :CLE-NFL:
    • :CLE-NBA:
    • :OhioState:
    • :CLS-MLS:
    • :CLE:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 06:25:20 PM »
The next topic is do we want a TC in the league or our we up to just using regular voting where every team has a say?
2) I think we should not go with a rules commente. I think its best for the league if we have everybody's opinion on what we do. Not every one will agree with making this league better. I just wanted to throw this out on here to see everyones feedback
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline ldsjayhawk

• Legend
    • :Kansas:
    • :SKC:
    • :KC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 07:54:58 PM »
I agree with Roto. On this. I think we should put this rule on backburner for right know. There is some gms that our going to have enough a tough time building their roster up . yes my team is young and I do have some wholes in it and I will fill them wholes with fa but my minors for example I have 46 position players in minors out of those guys. Only half of them our even in majors or even playing baseball. That being said their will be some teams if anything like my reds will want to build up their minors so they can compete down the road.  Some of these teams our in rough shape by keeping this rule I feel gms will be harmed by this. We can always monitor teams to make sure they are not tanking.
Most owners will build there build there team up thru draft within 2 to 3 yrs after that then maybe then we should be a concern but right know I think we hold of on this rule until we truly need to use it.

This rule is completely ineffective anyway.  Even the worst team had almost 10000 points.  We definitely need a tanking rule.  It hurts the league when you have teams that are built completely of minor leaguers.   With 200 spots in the minors, I don't think anyone needs to worry about not being able to build their team. 

Yes, I believe this league needs a trade committee.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
FGM :win: :SEA: 2017 + 2x AL West Div
BUSH AL :Bronze: :KC: 2021 + 4x AL Central Div
AFB AL :Bronze: :KC: 2012 + 1x Div
AFB NL :Bronze: :COL: 2018 + 2x Div

Offline Maydab23

• All-Star
    • :LAL:
    • :UCLA:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 07:33:01 AM »
This rule is completely ineffective anyway.  Even the worst team had almost 10000 points.  We definitely need a tanking rule.  It hurts the league when you have teams that are built completely of minor leaguers.   With 200 spots in the minors, I don't think anyone needs to worry about not being able to build their team. 

Yes, I believe this league needs a trade committee.

To give people some background on the tanking rule

I was co-commish at the time and helped shape that tanking rule. The reason behind it was that a couple teams were intentionally leaving major leaguers in minors and fielding mostly empty teams and not coming close to winning a single game all season.

The bar to avoid the forfeiture of draft picks was intentionally set very low. The idea is to not stop teams from “tanking” like the Cubs and Astros did in real life (they still fielded teams albeit bad ones). It’s to prevent teams from fielding 3 players on an entire roster and intentionally going winless all season (which is def not what the Cubs and Astros did as they didn’t intentionally play with fewer players and go 0-162)

A bad, rebuilding team will have some non points accruing roster spots, that’s expected. But there’s no reason they can’t at least call up a couple of their minor leaguers who are accruing points in real life bigs and sign a couple of FAs to at least not completely count as an automatic win for whichever teams they play against.

Just like this league shouldn’t have undefeated dominate teams like the Astros, we should also avoid the opposite extreme if able.

IMO
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rotodojo

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
Sounds like you want to start a new league!

At this point, we basically are.  Lol!

A couple of points of minutia that I would like to address in rules changes. 

• Tie the minimum salary in Armchair to the minimum salary in MLB
  • Change the official contract information from Cot's to Sportrac - it is easier to find information and provides more information.
  • Change that a minor league player under 23 cannot be offered a major league contract to a minor league player with no MLB service time or no MLB games can be offered a major league contract

Also, could someone help me remember why we went to VC contracts with an increase to 500k for major league players on minor league contracts?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:12:16 PM by rotodojo »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • TheGOAT: Daddy pm
    March 18, 2024, 07:52:41 PM
  • Daddy: Back sir GOAT
    March 18, 2024, 08:33:18 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent.. as do i sir. As do i.
    March 18, 2024, 08:34:31 PM
  • Braves155: Around for deal talks - Any sport
    March 18, 2024, 09:32:06 PM
  • Braves155: @Brent FrickTheSaints #FTS
    March 18, 2024, 10:25:30 PM
  • Daddy: :rofl:
    March 18, 2024, 10:36:13 PM
  • Daddy: Cant wait for Vikings vs Saints in LIVE
    March 18, 2024, 10:37:16 PM
  • Braves155: Snell to SanFran 2 yrs/62M
    March 18, 2024, 10:42:49 PM
  • indiansnation: Giants To Sign Blake Snell March 18th, 2024 at 8:45pm CST • By Anthony Franco 8:45pm: Snell receives a $15MM salary for the upcoming season and has a $17MM signing bonus that will not be paid until 2026, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle (on X). That indicates he’ll be deciding on whether to opt out of a $30MM salary next winter, although the delayed date on the payment of the bonus reduces the team’s short-term commitment.  8:23pm: Blake Snell is in agreement with the Giants on a two-year, $62MM contract that allows him to opt out after the upcoming season, reports Jon Heyman of the New York Post (X link). San Francisco adds the defending NL Cy Young winner to the top of a staff that also includes last year’s runner-up, Logan Webb.  ADVERTISEMENT
    March 18, 2024, 10:48:21 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I didnt know we could type that much into 1 comment lol
    March 18, 2024, 10:50:20 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: LFGGGG SNELLIZA TO THE BAY
    March 18, 2024, 10:55:55 PM
  • Daddy: Celebrate this San Francisco [link] ;)
    March 18, 2024, 11:45:47 PM
  • TheGOAT: IndianaBuc pm
    March 19, 2024, 08:51:13 PM
  • Braves155: Who dealing in baseball?
    March 19, 2024, 10:37:10 PM
  • TheGOAT: Jwalkerjr pm
    March 20, 2024, 08:08:57 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back goat
    March 20, 2024, 05:52:15 PM
  • TheGOAT: Daddy pm
    March 20, 2024, 07:44:45 PM
  • Daddy: Thats a great response. #respect
    March 20, 2024, 08:01:50 PM
  • TheGOAT: Thank You
    March 20, 2024, 08:05:04 PM
  • Brent: Looks like Ohtani might be going down.  Let's see how this shakes out.  Translator and best friend fired by Dodgers for stealing millions from Ohtani and illegal gambling.  Hmm, okay.
    March 20, 2024, 09:35:21 PM
  • jmntl82: Yeah there isn’t any chance he wasn’t involved
    March 20, 2024, 10:04:47 PM
  • Daddy: Damn :doh:
    March 20, 2024, 10:11:40 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: celebrate that LA
    March 20, 2024, 10:27:15 PM
  • Daddy: Well, im a Ram fan that loves Philadelphia Sports. I agree, take that Dodgers! Go Phils!!!
    March 20, 2024, 10:33:02 PM
  • Daddy: Something in the water in California ;)
    March 20, 2024, 10:34:01 PM
  • Daddy: They would legalize meth but gambling oh nooooo.
    March 20, 2024, 10:35:12 PM
  • Brent: I've lived in Japan for 3 years and Okinawa for 3 years.  You could legit leave you car unlocked with money on the dash board in a public parking lot, come back and the money is still there.
    March 20, 2024, 10:43:11 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Im a fan of Japanese culture
    March 20, 2024, 11:05:07 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: From power rangers and pokemon as a kid, to the edo period, anime, video games, and ninjas
    March 20, 2024, 11:05:58 PM
  • Brent: Best  comment I gave seen on the Ohtani gambling scandal.  "Pete Rose wishes he had an interpreter"
    March 21, 2024, 12:25:08 AM
  • Brent: Have seen
    March 21, 2024, 12:25:18 AM
  • Daddy: And i wish i had a friend that covers my debts. I aint got $500k to put on Temple but thats the kind of friends i need.
    March 21, 2024, 12:27:31 AM
  • Daddy: Where yall at?????
    March 21, 2024, 12:28:32 AM
  • Braves155: There's nothin wrong with the good ol' nudie bar and a few lap dances. Who needs alcohol/drugs/scandal
    March 21, 2024, 08:09:08 AM
  • Braves155: For trade talks/chat in general, if anyone wants my cell #, msg me
    March 21, 2024, 08:37:22 AM
  • dbreer23: Life was so much simpler (maybe not better) before the internet...
    March 21, 2024, 11:47:48 AM
  • Daddy: It was better for me. My parents were alive, grand parents, and a multitude of mistakes had not yet occured. Many of them internet related.
    March 21, 2024, 04:28:54 PM
  • Alpha5: We really should be doing March Madness brackets
    March 21, 2024, 06:31:31 PM
  • jmntl82: I did one on paper and left it on my desk and it went missing so someone must’ve decided it was perfect
    March 22, 2024, 08:41:01 AM
  • janesvilleaces: Padres mlb live here all day for deals..lots of young talent..looking for 3b or 1b...rp...
    March 22, 2024, 09:08:50 AM
  • Colby: :bump:
    March 22, 2024, 09:59:59 AM
  • STLBlues91: Catching up on messages. Busy week with conferences and finishing state testing. Will send replies in a few
    March 22, 2024, 10:05:56 PM
  • indiansnation: If anybody wants to talk mlb live trade talk hit me up with a pm
    March 24, 2024, 10:19:08 AM
  • Daddy: Yeah baseball is starting up. The "long season" is here.
    March 24, 2024, 12:55:24 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL PLAYOFFS Round 1 RESULTS here ==> [link]
    March 25, 2024, 10:11:43 AM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE business is picking up. Trades & FA are back in action.
    Yesterday at 06:07:10 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Today at 12:54:15 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: daddy pm
    Today at 01:07:25 PM
  • Daddy: Opening Day Gents!!!
    Today at 02:44:35 PM
  • Daddy: Business is booming in MLB LIVE. Get those teams ready... Its WAR gentlemen.
    Today at 07:43:15 PM