Author Topic: PROPOSED: 5 Rule Revision for Goalies  (Read 5585 times)

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
Re: PROPOSED: 5 Rule Revision for Goalies
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
Maybe reduce it to 1 starting goalie, ...

the 1 active goalie option appears to be a leading candidate for rule revision in 2013-14.

gocubsgo7, can you clarify / give an example of what you mean when you say a
... and then a 50% reduction in salary on your backup goalie?

...not sure i follow. thx!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Florida Panthers ... link to team page

2023-24 FRANCHISE NHL PAYOUT TO CHAMPION ... :money: $530.00USD :money:
ONLY THE BEST OWNERS WANTED

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »
My formal proposal.

Effective immediately - 1 active goalie on the roster. 
Reason- We are a league that pride ourselves on mimicking the NHL, what NHL team has two goalies in net at the same time.  NHL teams have to choose every night who they play is it Quick or Bernier.

disagree with any effective immediately rules. even though the goalie situation is not favorable - the league can be played as is short-term. the goalie situation was the result of the rules in place BUT also the lack of quality team owners (ones who cared not to trade away their starting goalie for a bag o'pucks, then ditch their team after a few months).

on that note, as you know snugerud... FNHL recruiting is more selective this season and i hope it will continue to be moving forward to ensure knowledgeable owners and ones with sufficient time to play fantasy hky commit to the league.

Starting in 2013-2014 - Before free agency all teams have a one time option of dropping a goalie with no cap hit.  This gives teams that have grossly salary inflated goalies on their roster a chance to drop them without receiving a penalty, this counteracts the drop in goalie value.  Those teams would have a chance to re-sign them in FA at a lower cost and more in line with the future goalie values.

i'd love to hear more ppl comment on this goalie amnesty option. it's got legs!  :toast:
also, we have time to flesh this idea out to determine if we move fwd, the exact mechanics of how to implement from start to finish. remember, we cannot devalue goalies overnight otherwise the time and effort invested by those who have cared to do so isn't swept aside and forgotten. we need to try to find a good balance of change vs stability... easier said then done.  :toth:

Alternate option: Teams all have the opportunity to extend their goaltenders with the new contract set to take effect immediately regardless of the number of years left on the contract.  It's basically a goalie reset without really removing anyone from teams rosters.  I am not as big on this option since it gives teams that bid ridiculous contracts on goalie to have their cake and eat it too. By making them drop them and bid on a open market seems to be the more fair root to everyone since the high priced goalies were acquired on the open market in the first place. 

personally not a fan of this either. but still good to get new ideas flowing.  :toast:

Also starting in 2013 season a 10% reduction in goalie stats , with successive 10% reductions in the following 3 years.
Reason: This will bring the leagues top goalie points in line with the leagues top skaters points.  No one can tell me that Fleury is more important than Crosby or Malkin to his team, to mimic the NHL we need to bring goalie points to a more realistic value.

agreed.

i personally believe a revision to goalie scoring needs to happen to get them more in line with overall league scoring system. you can play with 4 starting goalies and 0 Centers + 0 LW and still make the post-season because points are so heavily weighted on goalie stats scoring.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »
If you want to limit starting goalies to one, its understandable, because that is league like.  2 goalies was implemented so teams could start the two goalies they had without having to find out the starter from the real nhl team every single night.  It didn't work.

But to cap the amount that can be spent on goalies is foolish.  If you want to create a maleficence in the market, that is exactly what you will do.

If two teams bid at the same dollar cap, who wins?  Am I to believe that some arbitrator can possibly be unbiased and make an honest decision?  Outrageous!  Am I instead to think that the winner will be determined by some calculations of standings or points or etc?  How insane!  It changes the league completely.  Instead of teams trying to win they will be trying to position themselves for players.  Yuck.

Please leave caps of contracts, and all these multiple-calculation objectives out.  It makes this league less fun and more work. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2012, 12:32:59 PM »
As I said about re-drafting before, how gross.

It rips apart what teams have done and is force by the administration.  People should be able to maybe enter into the re-draft system or not.  Because I am not going to take my chances I get a Tukka Rask back.  Who would get to go first and who last?  That cannot be decided fairly. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
Also note, bringing it down to one starter really puts the screws to contracts like Ben Bishop, Craig Anderson, etc.  That is why these rule changes really need to be done now and stay that way, for a while.  This league has been a stream of rule changes. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• MVP
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :NE:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
If you want to limit starting goalies to one, its understandable, because that is league like.  2 goalies was implemented so teams could start the two goalies they had without having to find out the starter from the real nhl team every single night.  It didn't work.

I see this as an advanced league and having to find out who the starting goalie is not that big of deal.  http://www.leftwinglock.com/starting-goalies/  if you have a starting goalie, most nights your going to role with them, backups are a little more work.

Also starting in 2013 season a 10% reduction in goalie stats , with successive 10% reductions in the following 3 years.
    Reason: This will bring the leagues top goalie points in line with the leagues top skaters points.  No one can tell me that Fleury is more important than Crosby or Malkin to his team, to mimic the NHL we need to bring goalie points to a more realistic value.

agreed.

i personally believe a revision to goalie scoring needs to happen to get them more in line with overall league scoring system. you can play with 4 starting goalies and 0 Centers + 0 LW and still make the post-season because points are so heavily weighted on goalie stats scoring.

Here is an alternate idea. Since we are already devaluing goalies by the 1 starter why not instead of continuing to devalue goalies and further hurting the teams that have them ,  we increase the value of skater (D's and F's) to close some of the gap on the goalies.  Instead of hurting the teams with goalies , it would help the teams with none to be more competitive.  It would also bring the value up on D to bring them more inline with their contracts which is already being discussed as well so you are killing 2 birds with 1 stone. 

I am proposing a initial 25% increase to all skater stats and the addition of a blocked shots stat counted at the same value as hits.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:19:55 AM by snugerud »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 12:27:59 PM »
Also note, bringing it down to one starter really puts the screws to contracts like Ben Bishop, Craig Anderson, etc.  That is why these rule changes really need to be done now and stay that way, for a while.  This league has been a stream of rule changes. 

i know you hate to see others touch your original vision of the league... but let me say i'm here this yr to clarify rules that are unclear, seriously lacking or harmful the the league's ability to survive.

examples of needed rule changes... see COMMISSIONER'S CORNER but here's a taste:

1. Goalie setup + scoring: didn't factor in hoarding, mis-management
2. Cap league with no penalty for below or over cap after 2 full seasons
3. Unclear contract terms that cause confusion for 3 ex-commissioners (hf6k, gilly, sizzrat) + 1 roving commish (drew) ... includes 1yr contracts, variable contracts, extensions on 1yr deals, etc.

* leaving these issues unaddressed hurts/has hurt the league.
* addressing them is like teething, it's a beach but you're better for it afterwards.

and no, not everything can be handled like a band-aid... we have to respect those who've put in 2 full seasons as well as juggle needs of new active owners.

see it as "glass half-full" chris... not the other way. :thumbsup:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline PigsRule

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
I see this as an advanced league and having to find out who the starting goalie is not that big of deal.  http://www.leftwinglock.com/starting-goalies/  if you have a starting goalie, most nights your going to role with them, backups are a little more work.

haha, good stuff. i use http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/starting-goalies/
much more relevant in smaller leagues that start 2 goalies with daily line-ups like my CHL 42 team tiered league.

Here is an alternate idea. Since we are already devaluing goalies by the 1 starter why not instead of continuing to devalue goalies and further hurting the teams that have them ,  we increase the value of skater (D's and F's) to close some of the gap on the goalies.  Instead of hurting the teams with goalies , it would help the teams with none to be more competitive.  It would also bring the value up on D to bring them more inline with their contracts which is already being discussed as well so you are killing 2 birds with 1 stone. 

I am proposing a initial 25% increase to all skater stats and the addition of a blocked shots stat counted at the same value as hits.

if i'm not mistaken, that's the other side of the same coin. same idea just change the skaters instead of the goalies. it's good food for thought for sure.

i personlly love using blocked shots, makes the defensive defensemen + 2-way fwds/plumbers more relevant in scoring.

of course from an administrative perspective the considerations are:
a) changing a set of scoring values (looks like it's gotta be done either way)
b) scoring impacts contract values too, now we're touching 3 positions vs 1 ... and contracts are already a can o' worms.
c) by touching skaters, we might now cause another negative impacts downstream that haven't been anticipated (butterfly effect).

on the positive side, it means less revisions to goalies as ppl may not want too many changes to goalie setup + scoring.

great to get new ideas to tackle this matter. thx snug!
let's see more input on this idea from snug!
:toast:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• MVP
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :NE:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 01:25:20 PM »
just a side, you can alter values of scoring in Fantrax and run tests to see how they turn out which will help reduce some of this butterfly effect.

It is same coin different side but with a big difference. Not everyone in the league has a starting goalie so by reducing the goalie stats you are only affecting those with a starting goalie and in a negative way.

By up ticking the skaters this will affect everyone's team typically in a positive way, some more than others but in probably a less dramatic sense. 

I am just kicking around ideas out loud.  Anybody can feel free to jump in
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline PsychoticPondGoons

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :BAL-NFL:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :NYY:
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »
Bro weren't you the original commissioner. When was this league weekly line-ups. So what is it weekly or daily line-ups.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
PPG's Theme Song EC Lucky X - Welcome Spring2020
PPG's Chill Vibes Thrift Shop - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Live to brawl. - J.Yablonski
"I don't like to hurt people. Sometimes I just can't help it." - George Steinbrenner :NYY:

23-24 FNHL Champion TBD will win the  $530.00 PAYOUT!

Best Fantasy Hockey League (25$ returning team fee 2024-25):
FNHL TEAMS FOR SALE!
:Commish: *** :CAR-NHL: HURRICANES :CAR-NHL: *** :Commish:

* FNHL Chat

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: I'm all about adding better prospects to my team in long run
    Yesterday at 12:17:05 AM
  • indiansnation: I am the biggest nerd when it comes to milb prospects their is like another 100 prospects in mlb i could add right know in heartbeat. My luttle time im off from work I spend hours looking at specs.
    Yesterday at 12:23:33 AM
  • indiansnation: If u look at everybody in mlb live prospect wise is killing it in minors. Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live and then start working on nfl live and and nhl live.
    Yesterday at 12:25:51 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: niners could still be interested in adding players. believ i have  abt 4 picks in 2025 that i can maybe use in trade depending on deal
    Yesterday at 12:30:57 AM
  • dbreer23: "Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live" - I'll believe that when...well, never!
    Yesterday at 01:02:58 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: lmaoo way to contradict brian
    Yesterday at 01:10:09 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed
    Yesterday at 01:10:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had room in my farm so i figured i fill it some
    Yesterday at 01:10:20 AM
  • Daddy: I dont mind activity. Especially with purpose. Brian needs hockey to start.
    Yesterday at 01:11:26 AM
  • Daddy: Its been so long since ive done a hockey league and ive fallen behind a bit in the sport because of that. This year hockey is back in my life for good.
    Yesterday at 01:12:42 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian we have a 60 player minor league limit. All of our guys on each team should be killing it in the minors. Sign guys you believe in. Then let them develop.
    Yesterday at 01:21:47 AM
  • Daddy: Everytime a guy is hitting .400 at Corpus Christi that doesn't make him Ted Williams.
    Yesterday at 01:26:13 AM
  • Daddy: None of these dudes are gonna help you avoid datazzwhupin im putting on you this week. Reap the whirlwind Brian. Reap it.
    Yesterday at 01:29:07 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: is this reference to guys i added?
    Yesterday at 01:29:55 AM
  • Daddy: You sir... No. Football is our battle ground. Im talking about Mr. 189 minor league nerd that TEXTED me he was gon whoop me this week.
    Yesterday at 01:34:21 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahahah ok
    Yesterday at 01:35:38 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy is going down by guardians in mlb live.
    Yesterday at 01:40:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey colts in nfl live looking to move qb russel Wilson looking for draft picks in return.
    Yesterday at 01:43:08 PM
  • Daddy: That is a great trade in MLB. Most trades are great but few are star worthy. Congratulations to both GMs!
    Yesterday at 04:19:40 PM
  • Daddy: Isaac Coffey will be a FA again in 72 hours.
    Yesterday at 04:21:55 PM
  • OUDAN: CCD guys lets deal!!!!
    Yesterday at 04:44:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: prolly will be yes daddy
    Yesterday at 04:55:56 PM
  • Daddy: As long as both owners are happy @BAB and they both seem very happy.
    Yesterday at 05:41:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: yeah i hear ya
    Yesterday at 06:02:44 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: has CCD been active
    Yesterday at 06:07:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: havent really checked that one much
    Yesterday at 06:07:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: been focused on LIVE
    Yesterday at 06:07:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night for trade talks in any league
    Yesterday at 07:19:35 PM
  • Brent: CCD is very active on the Discord Channel.
    Yesterday at 07:55:50 PM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    Yesterday at 07:57:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: evening
    Yesterday at 08:03:53 PM
  • Braves155: Will be on for a portion of the evening
    Yesterday at 08:10:39 PM
  • Braves155: Been starting to get into these older games that originally ran off DOSBOX for those who know what I'm talking about. The idea is you build your team with a salary of XXX and then every 2-3 seasons you have decisions to make. Field a 26 man roster, control your own pitching rotation, pen, lineup & bench like the true MLB. Draft every season where there's a lot of turnover. Interesting for sure.
    Yesterday at 08:15:28 PM
  • Braves155: PM Jwalk (Jets)
    Yesterday at 08:30:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: idsjayhawk replied
    Yesterday at 08:34:31 PM
  • Braves155: PM Professor Dan
    Yesterday at 09:19:27 PM
  • Daddy: Let that Man go on vacation. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 09:27:13 PM
  • Daddy: He had earned this getaway. His computer has earned it.
    Yesterday at 09:28:07 PM
  • Braves155: NEVER!!
    Yesterday at 09:28:29 PM
  • Braves155: You mean 'getaway' from 100 prospect posts/week from our Brian?
    Yesterday at 09:29:17 PM
  • Braves155: Any LIVE deal talks? Hmu
    Yesterday at 09:38:00 PM
  • Daddy: He ain't the only one brotha :)
    Yesterday at 09:40:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: dbreer deserves at least a hanfulof beers and margs
    Yesterday at 09:45:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: we put him through the ringer w the activity
    Yesterday at 09:45:54 PM
  • Rhino7: CCD has had a lot of trades lately
    Yesterday at 09:54:49 PM
  • Daddy: That's awesome!
    Yesterday at 10:06:13 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I've returned to fgm
    Today at 01:44:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Took over the team available
    Today at 01:44:26 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations @BAB. FGM is well managed.
    Today at 02:28:01 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yes I'm aware I had too much going on when I left after 2022 season. I'm back now for my second stint
    Today at 02:50:11 AM