Author Topic: Dear Dynasty  (Read 2219 times)

Offline jmtrops

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :NE:
    • :Blank:
    • :TBL:
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Dynasty
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 02:12:03 PM »
the new contract system is going to make it harder for the good teams to stay together but we need to see what it will do in a couple of years. If I had to resign all my guys with the new system at the start of this year I would have been about 20M over the cap. at the end of this year if I had to resign all my guys to the new system based on their current scoring pace my total number would be 119M + 19M in dead money. And Im not a good team so in a couple of years the money is going to catch up with most teams and make them make some tough decisions.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :MIN-NHL:
    • :NorthDakotaState:
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 06:10:21 PM »
Personally I like the setup for this league. I joined this league because I wanted to be able to build a dynasty and not lose most of my roster every year. If I wanted that I would go play in one year leagues. I like that you can build a team and hold on to players you draft and watch them develop. Hellebuyck and Saros are players I drafted way back in 2013. I like holding on to those guys and knowing that my investment 6 years ago has turned out to be a good player.

There is a tendency for all teams in this league to chase younger players that we view as having great potential. I think this is partly due to "Shiny New Toy" syndrome. We always want the new shiny toy over the player that has been around and we have noticed the perceived warts those players have or they haven't turned into what we thought they could be quick enough. Players take time to develop though and those shiny new players draft as 18 year old will show their own warts a year or two after the draft. I think we also chase younger players because you can hit a homerun and get a great player that will be very valuable for a long time on your roster.

One of the reasons I think the league is so focused on younger players is due to the roster size of the league. We have 20 teams and 30 roster spots. That is 600 players total. The NHL has 31 teams with a max roster size of 23. That is 713 players. But how many of those players play every game. An NHL team typically plays 12 forwards, 6 defensemen and two goalies. That is 20 players per team that play regularly. So that ends up being 620 players. But some of these players are grinders that don't score many if any points and will never have huge values in this league. So teams like Arizona and Boston are going to find more value holding a prospect in a main roster slot that may have some future value then to roster a 3rd line or 4th line player or a teams 6th defender.

I just don't think you will ever see tons of rental players being moved in this league. When half the teams in the league make the playoffs (10/20) and a few of teams don't have rental players to trade (Boston, Arizona, etc.). The only deals I think you will ever see is if a playoff team is trying to fill in a position they are short on or had injuries at. Roster balance definitely matters in this league because your trying to maximize value and games played across 5 different positions. Does having a 7th center you never start really help your team? No. Having an 8th defensemen who doesn't score as well but will get you a couple games a week is probably a better player to own.

On a busy night in the league where most teams are playing we start 17 players total (3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D & 2G). So as a playoff team if I'm not upgrading on one of these "typical starters" for my team I'm probably not going to be super interested. If I can upgrade my 5th Center its not as big of an upgrade on my team as if I can upgrade my 3rd Center. If that guy only gets a game maybe two a week that 0.5 pt or 1 pt/game upgrade doesn't make that big of an impact. If I only have 3 centers though I might be willing to trade something to get a reliable 4th center who will play 2 or 3 games a week for me.

Not to pick on anyone but Colorado is a playoff team that could make some deals to help there team this year. They have 8 goalies on their NHL roster and one more in the minors that is getting good playing time. But they can only start 2 goalies a day. That 971.5 points their goalies have scored this year have only translated into 437 points in the standings because they miss so many starts. If they dealt a couple for skaters who get them a few more games during the week they would probably score alot better in the playoffs.

As far as prospect contracts are concerned I don't have a problem with the 5 year deals. Players in the NHL sign deals of similar lengths and I like being able to have a player I invested on for a while. I also think the resign value changes are going to eliminate some of the position issues the old system had and you will pay for the performance of the player regardless of position. In the old system defensemen and wingers were greatly undervalued and I built my team around them for a long time. Komarov is a winger that I was able to extend last offseason for 0.9m a year. Starting this offseason he would cost me almost $4m a year to extend. Alot more of these type of players will end up on FA then in previous years. But it might take a year or two to happen due to existing contracts not expiring right away.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline WestCoastExpress

• MVP
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 06:14:17 PM »
Nice analysis Shooter.

You lost me a bit once I read "Colorado has 8 goalies plus one" hahaha.
Sheesh, why does COL have so many tenders?!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 07:14:52 PM »
Doesn't look like COL lineups are getting set.  I'm hoping we haven't lost Ryan.  I sent an email.

Great thread, guys.  I think the answer to the first question: is the playing field level, is yes.  I believe that a competent GM can build a team here (even from a broken franchise) into a contender.  Is the level playing field question more directed to the top tier?  Where 2 teams sit above the rest?  Even so, I believe the answer is yes.  Vancouver was built from scratch from the wreckage of a badly managed franchise.  St Louis wasn't always as indomitable.  And at one point it looked like Anaheim would never lose.  I believe both of the two front-runners will come back down to earth once certain contracts start expiring, and we'll have other teams taking up the mantle up top.  Maybe the same names will float around up there, but some of that's just skill.  With 10 playoff seeds, opportunity for anyone to get hot and take out one of the top guns is always there. 

Is there enough incentive to win?  That one I'm not as sure about.  I know I've sold off hot young assets at trade deadline time several times to compete for a title here.  But I know many have not, choosing to take a long-view.  And I think that mentality is the majority - especially in the last 5 years.  We've all been more conservative.  Myself included. 

Simple solution on that one.  A few of us have mentioned it in the past...... Money!

That's really the solution if we deem incentive is a problem enough that we choose to solve it. 

Regarding prospect contract length - I'd really like to see how the new extension rules play out over the next couple seasons before making more economic changes.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 07:18:53 PM »
Ryan responded - he's had sick kids the last few weeks. He'll get back on track here soon.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
  • Director of Media Relations
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2020, 07:51:20 PM »
Great stuff all around. Love the passion Shooter defends 5 year contracts with and have to admit I'm in it to watch my picks develop over the long haul. Also agree with Rob that it'll take a bit for the new extension rules to play out and that a $$$ incentive could really do great things for the league. I know it doesn't appeal to everyone but I imagine the upside would be considerable in terms of interest and activity. That said I think we're doing fine as is. :thumbsup:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL:  2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 Backyard NHL Stanley Cup Champion :STL-NHL:

Offline jmtrops

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2020, 11:02:47 AM »
I agree with everything but the money. making money as a prize for winning will only cause problems. every one here wants to win so add a little money is not really going to change that and the money is not going to be big enough to make people sacrifice the future to have a shot at winning for a year or two. now the thing that makes this league unique is our tie to the real teams and thats also what will make it unfair if we were to add money, since some team would have a big advantage based on where and how well their real team drafts. also there is the problem that if we all of a sudden added money then the good teams start out with a much higher chance of winning that money. now I have seen leagues with money that how much everyone pays in is based on how they finished the previous year. something like the 1st place pays $19 and last place pays $1, 2nd pays $18 19th pays $2. this would make a total of $200 payout. maybe $125 for 1st and $75 for 2nd. if we were to consider the money it would have to be something like this with some other rule changes to increase fairness. one we should do is all team changes should be claimed like waivers. a period in the off season if someone wants to switch to one of the unclaimed teams you put a claim in and teams that finished with worst record can claim that team over them. not that this would happen but a good team could switch teams to get improved draft picks. maybe you can only switch teams 1 in 10 years or something or we just say teams cant switch at all the team you have your stuck with.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline papps

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 9
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI:
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2020, 11:18:47 AM »
Franchise NHL is a money league if you want to join that one.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 - 2021 NFL Live Champion :TB-NFL:
🏆 - 2020 Bush League Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 Franchise GM Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 The League Champion :PIT-NFL:
🏆 - 2016 Moneyball II Champion :BOS:
🏆 - 2010 Agents vs GMs Champion :PHI:

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
  • Director of Media Relations
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
:puke:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:57:07 PM by SlackJack »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL:  2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 Backyard NHL Stanley Cup Champion :STL-NHL:

Offline jmtrops

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2020, 12:36:31 PM »
no I dont want a money league
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Brent: Carr is still OTB.
    March 18, 2024, 07:29:17 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Oversee? Like a king perhaps?
    March 18, 2024, 07:39:43 PM
  • TheGOAT: I don't really know. It just sounded professional
    March 18, 2024, 07:44:06 PM
  • TheGOAT: Daddy pm
    March 18, 2024, 07:52:41 PM
  • Daddy: Back sir GOAT
    March 18, 2024, 08:33:18 PM
  • Daddy: @Brent.. as do i sir. As do i.
    March 18, 2024, 08:34:31 PM
  • Braves155: Around for deal talks - Any sport
    March 18, 2024, 09:32:06 PM
  • Braves155: @Brent FrickTheSaints #FTS
    March 18, 2024, 10:25:30 PM
  • Daddy: :rofl:
    March 18, 2024, 10:36:13 PM
  • Daddy: Cant wait for Vikings vs Saints in LIVE
    March 18, 2024, 10:37:16 PM
  • Braves155: Snell to SanFran 2 yrs/62M
    March 18, 2024, 10:42:49 PM
  • indiansnation: Giants To Sign Blake Snell March 18th, 2024 at 8:45pm CST • By Anthony Franco 8:45pm: Snell receives a $15MM salary for the upcoming season and has a $17MM signing bonus that will not be paid until 2026, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle (on X). That indicates he’ll be deciding on whether to opt out of a $30MM salary next winter, although the delayed date on the payment of the bonus reduces the team’s short-term commitment.  8:23pm: Blake Snell is in agreement with the Giants on a two-year, $62MM contract that allows him to opt out after the upcoming season, reports Jon Heyman of the New York Post (X link). San Francisco adds the defending NL Cy Young winner to the top of a staff that also includes last year’s runner-up, Logan Webb.  ADVERTISEMENT
    March 18, 2024, 10:48:21 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I didnt know we could type that much into 1 comment lol
    March 18, 2024, 10:50:20 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: LFGGGG SNELLIZA TO THE BAY
    March 18, 2024, 10:55:55 PM
  • Daddy: Celebrate this San Francisco [link] ;)
    March 18, 2024, 11:45:47 PM
  • TheGOAT: IndianaBuc pm
    March 19, 2024, 08:51:13 PM
  • Braves155: Who dealing in baseball?
    March 19, 2024, 10:37:10 PM
  • TheGOAT: Jwalkerjr pm
    March 20, 2024, 08:08:57 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Back goat
    March 20, 2024, 05:52:15 PM
  • TheGOAT: Daddy pm
    March 20, 2024, 07:44:45 PM
  • Daddy: Thats a great response. #respect
    March 20, 2024, 08:01:50 PM
  • TheGOAT: Thank You
    March 20, 2024, 08:05:04 PM
  • Brent: Looks like Ohtani might be going down.  Let's see how this shakes out.  Translator and best friend fired by Dodgers for stealing millions from Ohtani and illegal gambling.  Hmm, okay.
    March 20, 2024, 09:35:21 PM
  • jmntl82: Yeah there isn’t any chance he wasn’t involved
    March 20, 2024, 10:04:47 PM
  • Daddy: Damn :doh:
    March 20, 2024, 10:11:40 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: celebrate that LA
    March 20, 2024, 10:27:15 PM
  • Daddy: Well, im a Ram fan that loves Philadelphia Sports. I agree, take that Dodgers! Go Phils!!!
    March 20, 2024, 10:33:02 PM
  • Daddy: Something in the water in California ;)
    March 20, 2024, 10:34:01 PM
  • Daddy: They would legalize meth but gambling oh nooooo.
    March 20, 2024, 10:35:12 PM
  • Brent: I've lived in Japan for 3 years and Okinawa for 3 years.  You could legit leave you car unlocked with money on the dash board in a public parking lot, come back and the money is still there.
    March 20, 2024, 10:43:11 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Im a fan of Japanese culture
    March 20, 2024, 11:05:07 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: From power rangers and pokemon as a kid, to the edo period, anime, video games, and ninjas
    March 20, 2024, 11:05:58 PM
  • Brent: Best  comment I gave seen on the Ohtani gambling scandal.  "Pete Rose wishes he had an interpreter"
    March 21, 2024, 12:25:08 AM
  • Brent: Have seen
    March 21, 2024, 12:25:18 AM
  • Daddy: And i wish i had a friend that covers my debts. I aint got $500k to put on Temple but thats the kind of friends i need.
    March 21, 2024, 12:27:31 AM
  • Daddy: Where yall at?????
    March 21, 2024, 12:28:32 AM
  • Braves155: There's nothin wrong with the good ol' nudie bar and a few lap dances. Who needs alcohol/drugs/scandal
    March 21, 2024, 08:09:08 AM
  • Braves155: For trade talks/chat in general, if anyone wants my cell #, msg me
    March 21, 2024, 08:37:22 AM
  • dbreer23: Life was so much simpler (maybe not better) before the internet...
    March 21, 2024, 11:47:48 AM
  • Daddy: It was better for me. My parents were alive, grand parents, and a multitude of mistakes had not yet occured. Many of them internet related.
    March 21, 2024, 04:28:54 PM
  • Alpha5: We really should be doing March Madness brackets
    March 21, 2024, 06:31:31 PM
  • jmntl82: I did one on paper and left it on my desk and it went missing so someone must’ve decided it was perfect
    March 22, 2024, 08:41:01 AM
  • janesvilleaces: Padres mlb live here all day for deals..lots of young talent..looking for 3b or 1b...rp...
    March 22, 2024, 09:08:50 AM
  • Colby: :bump:
    March 22, 2024, 09:59:59 AM
  • STLBlues91: Catching up on messages. Busy week with conferences and finishing state testing. Will send replies in a few
    March 22, 2024, 10:05:56 PM
  • indiansnation: If anybody wants to talk mlb live trade talk hit me up with a pm
    March 24, 2024, 10:19:08 AM
  • Daddy: Yeah baseball is starting up. The "long season" is here.
    March 24, 2024, 12:55:24 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL PLAYOFFS Round 1 RESULTS here ==> [link]
    March 25, 2024, 10:11:43 AM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE business is picking up. Trades & FA are back in action.
    Yesterday at 06:07:10 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Today at 12:54:15 AM