Author Topic: Who Among MLB's Hottest Players Are Legitimate Stars?  (Read 748 times)

reedjohnson

Who Among MLB's Hottest Players Are Legitimate Stars?
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
Blog Manager's Note: Here is the third ProFSL contribution from Bleacher Report's Ely Sussman. Be sure to read the full slideshow filled with pictures and more links over at Bleacher Report.

Early in the season, it is difficult to distinguish hot players from truly talented ones. We’re left wondering which of the league’s leading producers will sustain their production throughout 2012. By identifying fantasy frauds now, you’ll be able to sell them while their stock is high. Giving up on a rising superstar could haunt you all summer. But sticking with a scrub as he regresses from excellence to his actual playing ability can also be tough to stomach.

The following 10 individuals are enjoying off-the-charts success through the regular season’s second weekend. None have ever been considered extraordinary fantasy options. I’ll tell you whether any are finally emerging as legitimate stars.

C Yadier Molina (St. Louis Cardinals)

St. Louis Cardinals starting catcher Yadier Molina had somewhat of a breakout year in 2011.

He finished with career highs in batting average (.305), home runs (14), runs batted in (65) and runs scored (55). Now—with Albert Pujols gone and his own future taken care of—Molina has become one of fantasy baseball's elite backstops. The first-place Cards lead the majors in scoring despite an injury to Lance Berkman and negligible contributions from Matt Holliday.

The offense promises to be a potent one when those two get going. Expect Molina to have ample opportunities to bat with runners in scoring position this season. He always posts a sparkling strikeout-to-walk ratio and he's completely capable of a batting average akin to 2011's. I'm only skeptical about his slugging. He's currently on pace for 300-plus total bases. That isn't sustainable for a ninth-year player whose previous best is 221.

2012 stats through April 15: .353 AVG, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 9 R, 1 SB, 4 BB, 6 K

3B David Freese (St. Louis Cardinals)

Teammate David Freese is nearly the National League's top batter. It's as if the World Series never ended for him!

His early-season power numbers cannot realistically be maintained over six months (he's averaging more than a RBI per game). Although the St. Louis Cardinals third baseman won't produce like Evan Longoria or Jose Bautista, he won't be far behind, either.

The late-bloomer has been successful at every level of professional baseball, including in the big leagues for much of 2011. Impatience at the plate will limit his on-base percentage and consequently, his runs scored. His line-drive swing won't deliver more than 20 home runs.

Still, there is no shame in starting David Freese. He—like Yadier Molina—will reap the benefits of batting amid a great lineup.

2012 stats through April 15: .406 AVG, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 6 R, 1 BB, 8 K

SP Lance Lynn (St. Louis Cardinals)

Rest assured, this is a league-wide article, but the St. Louis Cardinals have achieved a 7-3 record because of three, first-time fantasy studs.

Lance Lynn has already defeated two division rivals in 2012, the Milwaukee Brewers and Chicago Cubs. He surrendered just one run to each. He will stay in the rotation indefinitely with Chris Carpenter sidelined. Mid-90s fastball velocity and a filthy curveball could contribute to countless strikeouts for the talented right-hander.

However, he will need to prove that his slider—abandoned a year ago when he was relieving—can be an effective third pitch. Lynn is not a MLB ace, but he'll continue to dominate lineups that are devoid of lefty power. Pay close attention to his matchups.

2012 stats through April 15: 2-0, 1.50 ERA, 12.0 IP, 13 K, 0.75 WHIP

LF J.D. Martinez (Houston Astros)

Outfielder J.D. Martinez has been a steady producer for the Houston Astros with at least one hit in every 2012 game. But his success as a second-year outfielder is hardly surprising. Martinez was a .342 career batter in the Minor Leagues.

Veteran first baseman Carlos Lee has started strong, too. With him in the cleanup spot, Martinez should keep seeing hittable pitches. However, he isn't exactly the second coming of Hunter Pence, who—now with the Philadelphia Phillies—complements power hitting with double-digit base stealing. The Astros frankly don't have a deep batting order. As a result, Martinez won't touch home plate as often as somebody of his talent should.

2012 stats through April 15: .371 AVG, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 5 R, 4 BB, 7 K

LF Shelley Duncan (Cleveland Indians)

Shelley Duncan has forever been a platoon player. That hasn't changed despite his hot start.

Free agent Johnny Damon was just signed by the Cleveland Indians, a transaction that demotes Duncan from starting left fielder to his usual role. Something of this ilk was inevitable. When healthy, Grady Sizemore uproots center fielder Michael Brantley and shifts him to left.

Also, Matt LaPorta is wreaking havoc at Triple-A Columbus. He could see time at the position if recalled. Duncan has exhibited uncharacteristic plate discipline through eight games while still hammering extra-base hits. Alas, he'll lose value with a lack of plate appearances.

2012 stats through April 15: .320 AVG, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 7 R, 8 BB, 6 K

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL Carolina Hurricanes welcome new owners MooseMan & GoForth :CAR-NHL: [link] :CAR-NHL:
    April 28, 2024, 01:44:14 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here to talk
    April 28, 2024, 10:25:28 PM
  • dbreer23: PM Mt_Crushmore
    April 29, 2024, 12:58:42 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Pm DBreer23
    April 29, 2024, 01:30:41 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE updates are happening on fantrax and profsl.
    April 29, 2024, 02:49:06 PM
  • Daddy: Check your profiles on each site and pms to be sure you are caught up but more updates are coming its a massive league and its a busy time.
    April 29, 2024, 02:50:11 PM
  • Daddy: NFL/NCAA LIVE football commith.
    April 29, 2024, 02:51:48 PM
  • Daddy: Recruiting begins June 1
    April 29, 2024, 02:52:19 PM
  • Daddy: Draft is August 1
    April 29, 2024, 02:52:40 PM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE Draft [link] one week after MLB Draft is set and locked in.
    April 29, 2024, 02:55:01 PM
  • Daddy: Huge NFL LIVE trade up in the draft.
    April 29, 2024, 03:35:50 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to both teams
    April 29, 2024, 03:36:00 PM
  • Daddy: @Sky welcome back to profsl. @indiansnation @Brent are two GMs that i know remember you on site. There are probably many others. Big time return. :toast:
    April 29, 2024, 06:05:28 PM
  • Sky: :) Thanks Daddy! You pulled me back in lol
    April 29, 2024, 06:58:51 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for any talks
    April 29, 2024, 08:16:52 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Vegeta100 PM'D you.
    April 29, 2024, 09:51:48 PM
  • Daddy: There are pms flying all over the place and trades happening in multiple sports.
    April 29, 2024, 11:16:34 PM
  • Daddy: Dont let the clean boards fool you. :) Run those teams and dominate somebody.
    April 29, 2024, 11:17:59 PM
  • Daddy: There goes another trade. Congratulations to the trading teams.
    April 29, 2024, 11:20:39 PM
  • Daddy: Sky you old sly devil you. You been back on site 15 minutes :rofl:
    April 29, 2024, 11:21:27 PM
  • Sky: :) why wait. got players I like
    April 29, 2024, 11:22:17 PM
  • Brent: Sky, Welcome back.  PM sent.
    April 29, 2024, 11:29:45 PM
  • Daddy: I knew @Brent would approve.
    April 29, 2024, 11:30:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Im glad your guys dont like my minors exspecially this guy
    Yesterday at 12:20:25 AM
  • indiansnation: Tugboat' joins lofty company on 15-K night Wilkinson twirls six hitless innings for Single-A Lynchburg
    Yesterday at 12:20:31 AM
  • indiansnation: P   Matt Wilkinson
    Yesterday at 12:21:09 AM
  • indiansnation: I love my indians pitchers cant wait to they make it to mlb roster
    Yesterday at 12:21:57 AM
  • Daddy: I changed your name to the Guardians and i tried to change your profile name to Guardiansnation but it wouldn't let me.
    Yesterday at 12:23:23 AM
  • indiansnation: [link]
    Yesterday at 12:23:47 AM
  • dbreer23: 6'1" 270 lbs - ding, ding!
    Yesterday at 12:23:49 AM
  • Daddy: You dinosaur
    Yesterday at 12:23:52 AM
  • indiansnation: Guardians might bot draft great hitters but guardians have one of the best pitching farms in mlb
    Yesterday at 12:24:46 AM
  • indiansnation: And he was draft in10th round in 2023 draft
    Yesterday at 12:25:37 AM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE all that matters. I'd rather win the LIVE Championship than see the Phillies win the WS #Factz
    Yesterday at 12:26:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Thats why the vet gms pn this site do so good with their minors they spend alot of time reasearching
    Yesterday at 12:26:58 AM
  • Daddy: I did one. I watched the other. Im a doing kind of guy first.
    Yesterday at 12:27:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Well daddy dont get your hopes up this yr u ate not going to win it
    Yesterday at 12:27:37 AM
  • Daddy: You have to research now. We eliminated the rules that allow people to hijack prospects because they think you smart but they dont know chit.
    Yesterday at 12:29:11 AM
  • Daddy: You cant hide or be a poser. You gotta post up your own FAs and prospect finds.
    Yesterday at 12:29:51 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    Yesterday at 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    Yesterday at 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    Yesterday at 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    Yesterday at 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    Yesterday at 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    Yesterday at 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    Yesterday at 12:33:17 AM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    Yesterday at 08:26:57 PM
  • Rhino7: You still in CCD?
    Yesterday at 09:21:41 PM
  • Braves155: No
    Yesterday at 10:44:49 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Hey Braves155: