Author Topic: Proposal to change Compensation Rules  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
Re: Proposal to change Compensation Rules
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 04:39:51 PM »
There was a change to the Qualifying Offer in the new CBA, but it won't go into effect until the next off-season prior to 2018.

"There will be subtle changes to free agency, however, in that players will be virtually unrestricted. Teams will no longer forfeit a first-round draft pick when signing free agents. If a team is under the luxury tax, it would lose a third-round draft pick when signing a player who rejects the qualifying offer. If a team is over the tax, it would lose a second- and fifth-round pick and $1 million in international bonus money.

The team that loses a free agent with a qualifying offer will receive a pick, according to Fox Sports, only if the player receives a contract worth at least $50 million. The pick the team receives will depend on its market size."

With this, there are some factors which are not a part of how we operate in FGM, so we would have to adjust our rules accordingly.  We do not have a luxury tax or international bonus money.  We also don't expect to have many Type A free agents signed to a contract of $52m or more.  With our salary cap structure, there has been a marked reduction in the contract amounts given to players we sign during free agency.  We do have some "reckless" bidding sometimes, but the rule of the day seems to lean towards more responsible bidding.

So now that an agreement on a new five year CBA has been reached, here's what I am proposing:

For 2017:
1) Only one draft pick as compensation for a Type A free agent;
2) The elimination of Type B free agents;
3) Protection of 1st Round Picks for the top ten teams in the draft;
4) When a team loses a 1st Round pick, the team gaining the pick does not replace that team in the 1st Round.  Instead, the 1st Round is condensed and that pick becomes a part of the Compensation Round between the 1st and 2nd Rounds.  If the pick lost is protected (1-10), then the pick lost is the teams 2nd Round pick, or possibly a Compensation Round pick, whatever is higher.

We would not have this tied to 2017, but would include it in the future, beginning in
---Type A compensation tied to a player who has been on a team the entire season.

For 2018:
1: Continue one draft pick compensation for Type A free agents;
2: Draft compensation would be a 3rd Round pick--which would be taken in the same spot as the team who signed the free agent would normally have.
3: Compensation would be tied to a player who has been on a team the entire season.

These changes are significant in that it reduces the large Compensation Round (as we have had over the years) in 2017 and completely eliminates it in 2018.  We would the be mirroring, as best we can, the components of MLB's CBA.  Additionally, it gives teams a greater opportunity rebuild through the draft and should help the league be more competitive in the future. 

We all know that drafted rookies do not always perform at expected levels, and that sometimes we have surprises, both good and bad, but I believe this is a move which will benefit the league in the long term.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 09:02:24 PM »
There was a change to the Qualifying Offer in the new CBA, but it won't go into effect until the next off-season prior to 2018.

"There will be subtle changes to free agency, however, in that players will be virtually unrestricted. Teams will no longer forfeit a first-round draft pick when signing free agents. If a team is under the luxury tax, it would lose a third-round draft pick when signing a player who rejects the qualifying offer. If a team is over the tax, it would lose a second- and fifth-round pick and $1 million in international bonus money.

The team that loses a free agent with a qualifying offer will receive a pick, according to Fox Sports, only if the player receives a contract worth at least $50 million. The pick the team receives will depend on its market size."

With this, there are some factors which are not a part of how we operate in FGM, so we would have to adjust our rules accordingly.  We do not have a luxury tax or international bonus money.  We also don't expect to have many Type A free agents signed to a contract of $52m or more.  With our salary cap structure, there has been a marked reduction in the contract amounts given to players we sign during free agency.  We do have some "reckless" bidding sometimes, but the rule of the day seems to lean towards more responsible bidding.

So now that an agreement on a new five year CBA has been reached, here's what I am proposing:

For 2017:
1) Only one draft pick as compensation for a Type A free agent;
2) The elimination of Type B free agents;
3) Protection of 1st Round Picks for the top ten teams in the draft;
4) When a team loses a 1st Round pick, the team gaining the pick does not replace that team in the 1st Round.  Instead, the 1st Round is condensed and that pick becomes a part of the Compensation Round between the 1st and 2nd Rounds.  If the pick lost is protected (1-10), then the pick lost is the teams 2nd Round pick, or possibly a Compensation Round pick, whatever is higher.

We would not have this tied to 2017, but would include it in the future, beginning in
---Type A compensation tied to a player who has been on a team the entire season.

For 2018:
1: Continue one draft pick compensation for Type A free agents;
2: Draft compensation would be a 3rd Round pick--which would be taken in the same spot as the team who signed the free agent would normally have.
3: Compensation would be tied to a player who has been on a team the entire season.

These changes are significant in that it reduces the large Compensation Round (as we have had over the years) in 2017 and completely eliminates it in 2018.  We would the be mirroring, as best we can, the components of MLB's CBA.  Additionally, it gives teams a greater opportunity rebuild through the draft and should help the league be more competitive in the future. 

We all know that drafted rookies do not always perform at expected levels, and that sometimes we have surprises, both good and bad, but I believe this is a move which will benefit the league in the long term.

It appears that those that have replied are basically in agreement that we need to change our rules. I don't see this as a significant enough change to reset the clock on discussion. Let's continue, with this proposal in mind, until 12/6
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Offline jpmanchester

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :LAL:
    • :LAG:
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:17 PM »
I'm ok with the new proposal as well. Strategies will change a little since third Rd pick is obviously far less valuable than end of the first. By the third time they're all crapshoots pretty much. Which means small market teams will likely have to trade their big budget stars a year early to get any value. Or if they think they have a shot, play it out and take the third rounder when they can't keep them all. These rules really don't effect big budget teams much imo... They can more easily work around the cap implications of keeping and losing stars.

Just my thoughts on the proposals, but I'm ok with both, will just adjust our strategies accordingly.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline ldsjayhawk

• League Moderator
  • Legend
    • :CLS:
    • :Kansas:
    • :SKC:
    • :KC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 10:30:20 PM »
I am good with the proposal.  It does make the draft serve the purpose it is supposed to.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
FGM :win: :SEA: 2017 + 2x AL West Div
BUSH AL :Bronze: :KC: 2021 + 4x AL Central Div
AFB AL :Bronze: :KC: 2012 + 1x Div
AFB NL :Bronze: :COL: 2018 + 2x Div

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 01:59:29 AM »
 :iatp:

I would be interested to see if we can implement a certain cap threshold to mirror the MLB's luxury tax threshold and big market teams here spending past that threshold lose a 2nd and 5th pick. Helps us smaller market teams. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline jpmanchester

• All-Star
    • :LAL:
    • :LAG:
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 02:29:12 AM »
:iatp:

I would be interested to see if we can implement a certain cap threshold to mirror the MLB's luxury tax threshold and big market teams here spending past that threshold lose a 2nd and 5th pick. Helps us smaller market teams.

I like that idea too. If a cap threshold is tough to do with a hard cap, maybe over certain average annual salary.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 01:19:01 PM »

I like that idea too. If a cap threshold is tough to do with a hard cap, maybe over certain average annual salary.

Keeping these two requests in mind, since we have a hard cap that prohibits us from exceeding our allocated salary cap limit, it doesn't seem possible to institute any form of a luxury tax.  MLB has a soft cap and teams can exceed it.  This, of course, results in a luxury tax and the corresponding loss of a 3rd and 5th round pick in the new rules governing the lost of a player with a designated Qualifying Offer.

However, jpmanchester's idea utilizing "annual average salary" as an alternative to crossing the luxury tax threshold is certainly viable.  Here are the Type A free agents that were signed during the 2015 off-season free agency, who lost them, who signed them, and their new annual contract.

CI Joey Votto -- :CHC: -- :LAA: -- $22.0m
CI/MI Logan Forsythe -- :SEA: -- :CHC: -- $16.0m
SP Jake Arrietta -- :OAK: -- :PIT: -- $11.5m
SP Chris Archer -- :TOR: -- :LAA: -- $13.0m
C Francisco Cervelli -- :COL: -- :NYY: -- $2.5m
SP Jose Quintana -- :OAK: -- :ARZ: -- $6.5m

If we were to use the MLB's minimum contract provision of $52.0m, which, for FGM, constitutes an annual salary of $10.5m (rounded up from $10.4m), you can see that this would affect 4 of the 6 Type A free agents signed.  OF those 4, the :LAA: signed 2, so we would have to tweak the rule a bit.  Using our recent draft as an example, we could do something like this:

Option 1: Award :LAA: 3rd Round pick to the team with the worst record (:TOR:) and :LAA: 5th Round pick to the other team with the better record (:CHC:). Then give :CHC: a supplemental pick at the end of the 3rd Round and :TOR: a supplemental pick at the end of the 5th Round.

Option 2: Award :LAA: 3rd Round pick to the team with the worst record (:TOR:) and give :CHC: the very next pick in the 3rd Round.  Then do the same thing in the 5th Round, with :CHC: picking ahead of :TOR:

I believe this would be a viable way to incorporate the essence of the new MLB CBA.  The Annual Average Salary provision would simply be added to the others proposed for the 2018 season.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline RSmetana

• All-Star
    • :IND:
    • :IND-NBA:
    • :LA:
    • :UCLA:
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 09:42:24 PM »
With a hard cap, I really don't see the need for a luxury tax rule. I agree we need to support team rebuilding, because having gone through a rebuilding process, and not having the draft picks early enough to really support a rebuild, is a true pain, and detrimental to league stability.

I like the idea of the Option 2 Award.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Rick Smetana

:COL: in American baseball Legion
:TB: in The Bush League
:LAD: in WonderBoy Baseball

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 02:39:24 AM »
With a hard cap, I really don't see the need for a luxury tax rule. I agree we need to support team rebuilding, because having gone through a rebuilding process, and not having the draft picks early enough to really support a rebuild, is a true pain, and detrimental to league stability.

I like the idea of the Option 2 Award.

With our hard cap, there cannot be a luxury tax. 

The provision outlined in the two options listed above is related to a Type A free agent being signed to a contract with an average annual of $10.5m or more.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline game162

• All-Star
    • :TBL:
    • :SouthFlorida:
    • :TB:
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 04:14:57 PM »
I have a couple of considerations that were kicking around in this mostly hollow noggin of mine.

I believe there is a way to implement a luxury tax threshold.  Our salary caps are variable, and it's based on market and fluctuates based on team performance for the most part...which is realistic.  I consider those salary caps to be our "budget"...what ownership allows us to spend based on the state of the business.  The team salaries fall varying degrees below that salary cap/budget, just like what would happen in reality.  While I'm fairly certain it's not calculated this way in MLB, as I'm pretty sure it's predetermined in the CBA, 2016's luxury tax threshold was $189M, which was ~150% of the average 2015 team salary of $125M.  IF we wanted to implement a luxury tax, I think we could based on 150% of the previous year's average team salary.  Roster pages were updated to 2017 and forward, so i can't view 2016 team salaries to place a hypothetical on what the threshold would be for this year.  If there's enough interest, maybe someone can go back and look.

Additionally, our milb rosters are much shallower than real teams and thus mirroring the same draft pick rounds as compensation may not give us the desired results.  I took a look at the # of picks used in this past amateur draft to see how each round is valued within FGM:

Note: the 20 compensation picks are considered 2nd round, pushing the start of the 3rd round to pick 2 - 10, 4th started at pick 3 - 10, and 5th started at pick 4 - 10.

1st - 30 picks
2nd - 26 picks
3rd - 16 picks
4th - 15 picks
5th - 12 picks

With only 50% of the teams even leveraging the 3rd - 5th rounds, these are really the bottom of the barrel draft picks just based on our roster sizes.  So they don't really add much value in my mind from a competitive balance standpoint.

I'm just piecing this together as I type, but what if we went with a luxury tax threshold and any team above the threshold signing a $50M+ FA sends the team losing the FA their 1st round, and any team under the threshold would send a 2nd round pick. (No protected picks in the first 10 of first round.  If you're above the threshold AND finish bottom 10, you deserve to lose that top 10 pick!)

Feel free to poke holes...I'm sure I haven't thought of every gotcha.  Just wanted to throw these ideas out there before we decided on anything.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:16:45 PM by game162 »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:LAA: 2019 FGM World Series Champions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Funny.. NFL LIVE has the longest offseason and the most transactions.
    Yesterday at 11:02:40 PM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE is by far the hottest league right now though.
    Yesterday at 11:03:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Colts in nfl live make their first big trade in nfl live
    Yesterday at 11:56:34 PM
  • Daddy: Brian why do you keep dropping 15 prospects at a time in baseball? Are you not signing guys you believe in?
    Today at 12:09:23 AM
  • indiansnation: I'm all about adding better prospects to my team in long run
    Today at 12:17:05 AM
  • indiansnation: I am the biggest nerd when it comes to milb prospects their is like another 100 prospects in mlb i could add right know in heartbeat. My luttle time im off from work I spend hours looking at specs.
    Today at 12:23:33 AM
  • indiansnation: If u look at everybody in mlb live prospect wise is killing it in minors. Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live and then start working on nfl live and and nhl live.
    Today at 12:25:51 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: niners could still be interested in adding players. believ i have  abt 4 picks in 2025 that i can maybe use in trade depending on deal
    Today at 12:30:57 AM
  • dbreer23: "Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live" - I'll believe that when...well, never!
    Today at 01:02:58 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: lmaoo way to contradict brian
    Today at 01:10:09 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed
    Today at 01:10:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had room in my farm so i figured i fill it some
    Today at 01:10:20 AM
  • Daddy: I dont mind activity. Especially with purpose. Brian needs hockey to start.
    Today at 01:11:26 AM
  • Daddy: Its been so long since ive done a hockey league and ive fallen behind a bit in the sport because of that. This year hockey is back in my life for good.
    Today at 01:12:42 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian we have a 60 player minor league limit. All of our guys on each team should be killing it in the minors. Sign guys you believe in. Then let them develop.
    Today at 01:21:47 AM
  • Daddy: Everytime a guy is hitting .400 at Corpus Christi that doesn't make him Ted Williams.
    Today at 01:26:13 AM
  • Daddy: None of these dudes are gonna help you avoid datazzwhupin im putting on you this week. Reap the whirlwind Brian. Reap it.
    Today at 01:29:07 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: is this reference to guys i added?
    Today at 01:29:55 AM
  • Daddy: You sir... No. Football is our battle ground. Im talking about Mr. 189 minor league nerd that TEXTED me he was gon whoop me this week.
    Today at 01:34:21 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahahah ok
    Today at 01:35:38 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy is going down by guardians in mlb live.
    Today at 01:40:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey colts in nfl live looking to move qb russel Wilson looking for draft picks in return.
    Today at 01:43:08 PM
  • Daddy: That is a great trade in MLB. Most trades are great but few are star worthy. Congratulations to both GMs!
    Today at 04:19:40 PM
  • Daddy: Isaac Coffey will be a FA again in 72 hours.
    Today at 04:21:55 PM
  • OUDAN: CCD guys lets deal!!!!
    Today at 04:44:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: prolly will be yes daddy
    Today at 04:55:56 PM
  • Daddy: As long as both owners are happy @BAB and they both seem very happy.
    Today at 05:41:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: yeah i hear ya
    Today at 06:02:44 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: has CCD been active
    Today at 06:07:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: havent really checked that one much
    Today at 06:07:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: been focused on LIVE
    Today at 06:07:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night for trade talks in any league
    Today at 07:19:35 PM
  • Brent: CCD is very active on the Discord Channel.
    Today at 07:55:50 PM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    Today at 07:57:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: evening
    Today at 08:03:53 PM
  • Braves155: Will be on for a portion of the evening
    Today at 08:10:39 PM
  • Braves155: Been starting to get into these older games that originally ran off DOSBOX for those who know what I'm talking about. The idea is you build your team with a salary of XXX and then every 2-3 seasons you have decisions to make. Field a 26 man roster, control your own pitching rotation, pen, lineup & bench like the true MLB. Draft every season where there's a lot of turnover. Interesting for sure.
    Today at 08:15:28 PM
  • Braves155: PM Jwalk (Jets)
    Today at 08:30:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: idsjayhawk replied
    Today at 08:34:31 PM
  • Braves155: PM Professor Dan
    Today at 09:19:27 PM
  • Daddy: Let that Man go on vacation. :rofl:
    Today at 09:27:13 PM
  • Daddy: He had earned this getaway. His computer has earned it.
    Today at 09:28:07 PM
  • Braves155: NEVER!!
    Today at 09:28:29 PM
  • Braves155: You mean 'getaway' from 100 prospect posts/week from our Brian?
    Today at 09:29:17 PM
  • Braves155: Any LIVE deal talks? Hmu
    Today at 09:38:00 PM
  • Daddy: He ain't the only one brotha :)
    Today at 09:40:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: dbreer deserves at least a hanfulof beers and margs
    Today at 09:45:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: we put him through the ringer w the activity
    Today at 09:45:54 PM
  • Rhino7: CCD has had a lot of trades lately
    Today at 09:54:49 PM
  • Daddy: That's awesome!
    Today at 10:06:13 PM