Author Topic: A UFL Future for Five QB's  (Read 2124 times)

Two Point Diversion

A UFL Future for Five QB's
« on: May 12, 2011, 07:52:56 PM »
A UFL Future for Five QB's
By: Eric Melch, Two Point Diversion

The UFL Draft took place on May 2nd, with a total of 52 players selected by the five teams that make up the UFL.  Of those 52, five quarterbacks were taken in the draft, each of them show promise to contribute to their team and build a successful career in the UFL.  Here is a break down of the five signal callers taken in the 2011 draft, and their prospects for the 2011 UFL season.

Jerrod Johnson Texas A&M (2010): Hartford, 1st overall pick
   YRDS: 1,947 CMP%: 56.6  YPA: 6.98  TD: 14  INT: 9  SACK: 25  RAT: 125.4

Other QB’s on Roster:
   -Josh McCown
   -Colt Brennan*

The 2010 season for Jerrod Johnson was cut short as he only completed in seven out of the thirteen games, even missing their Cotton Bowl matchup against LSU.  To get a better idea of Johnson’s skills, look at his ’09 campaign in which he threw for 3,579 yards, 30 touchdowns and only eight interceptions.  Johnson is a big quarterback (6’4”, 238 lbs.) who is able to survey the field over the line and pass with solid accuracy (roughly 60% completion during his ’08 and ’09 seasons.)
   Johnson joins the Colonials in what we see as a three way battle for the starting position.  We feel that Johnson, Brennan, and McCown, the returning starter, all have a legitimate shot at the starting quarterback job.  McCown returns to the team after a season in which he threw for over 1,400 yards and 10 touchdowns, and Brennan joins the squad coming off of a lackluster NFL career with something to prove.  Look for a tight three way battle, but all of the QB’s should get a look this season.

Ryan Colburn Fresno St. (2010): Sacramento, 3rd overall pick
   YRDS: 2,817  CMP%: 63.1 YPA: 7.83  TD: 23  INT: 9 SACK: 36 RAT: 144.9

Other QB’s on Roster
   -Daunte Culpepper
   -Liam O’Hagan
   -Jeff Mroz* (Yale)

In the 2010 Humanitarian Bowl against Northern Illinois, Fresno State quarterback Ryan Colburn did quite a bit to try and will his team to a victory.  Colburn threw for 288 yards on 28 of 38 (73.7%) passing with two touchdowns and no interceptions.  Despite coming in a 40-17 loss, the performance was indicative of Colburn’s final season as a Bulldog, in which his only two subpar performances came against Hawaii and Boise State.  Colburn is also a big quarterback, standing at 6’3” and weighing in at 220 lbs.
   Colburn arrives on the team with the most returners at the position.  Colburn will have to compete with last years starter, Daunte Culpepper, a seasoned vet who had a very successful season with the Mountain Lions last year, throwing for 1,900 yards and 10 touchdowns.  OHagan has been a consistent back up in the UFL since 2009.  We see Colburn landing in a solid position in which he can learn quite a bit from Culpepper, as it’s somewhat unlikely he’ll be able to steal away a starting spot.  However, look for Colburn to get a decent amount of time this season.

Mike Teel Rutgers (2008): Las Vegas, 31st pick
   YRDS: 3,418  CMP%: 61.4 YPA: 8.63  TD: 25 INT: 13 SACK: 16 RAT: 148.1

Other QB’s on Roster:
   -Chase Clement

Teel was originally drafted back in 2009 out of Rutgers by the Seattle Seahawks in the sixth round (178th overall).  Most recently, Teel was released by the Chicago Bears after only a few weeks on the roster.  Never registering any stats during his brief NFL career, we look at his years at Rutgers, specifically his 2008 season.  Over his four year career as a Scarlett Knight, Teel was able to lead his team to three bowl victories, coming against Kansas St. (’06), Ball St. (’07), and North Carolina St. (’08).  Much like Colburn, Teel stands at 6’3” and weighs in at 230 lbs.
   Teel’s primary competition for the starting job of the Loco’s will be returning third stringer Chase Clement.  Clement threw for only 212 yards last season and one touchdown with Las Vegas last season, playing behind Tim Rattay and Drew Willy.  Teel comes in as a challenger, and Clement would seem to have the upper hand just on experience alone as a member of the returning UFL Champions.  But Clement was still a third string QB, so you can bet that Teel will give him a run for his money.

Jeremiah Masoli Ole Miss (2010): Omaha, 38th pick
   YRDS: 2039  CMP%: 56.4  YPA: 6.89  TD: 14  INT: 13 SACK: 11  RAT: 121.1

Other QB’s on Roster
   -D.J. Shockley

Obviously known more so for his time with the University of Oregon, Masoli’s final season at Ole Miss was less than stellar.  Although his completion percentage never reached higher than 58%, Masoli completed only 56.4% of his passes during the 2010 season, which is reason for concern.  Despite his lower passintog numbers, Masoli has always made up for his shortcomings in the pocket with his rushing ability.  In 2010, Masoli ran for 544 yards, the smallest amount in his career, the high coming in 2008 with 718 rushing yards.  The other possible issue with Masoli is that he is rather small in stature, standing only 5’11” and weighing 220 lbs.
   Masoli joins the Nighthawks competing with third stringer D.J. Shockley.  Shockley backed up Jeff Garcia and Matt Gueterrez last season and only compiled 30 yards passing.  Much like Mike Teel, Masoli comes in only second on the depth chart because of his lack of UFL experience.  However, in a similar situation to Pat White joining the Destroyers, Masoli brings an added element of athleticism to the table with his ability to rush the football and scramble.  In an open battle for the starting position, we see Masoli having a real chance as the signal caller for the Nighthawks this season.

Derek Devine Marshall (2006): Virginia, 45th pick
   YRDS: 23  CMP%: 66.7  YPA: 7.76  TD: 0 INT:SACK: 0 RAT: 131.1

Other QB’s on Roster
   -Pat White*

The second quarterback taken in the draft with prior experience in the NFL, Devine was signed by the Seattle Seahawks in 2007 as an undrafted free agent, and then was given an opportunity with the Washington Redskins in 2008.  Much like Teel, Devine was unable to record any statistics during his NFL career and views the UFL as a second chance.  Devine is highly unproven but has the stature much like the other bigger quarterbacks taken in the draft (6’3”, 224 lbs.). 
   An unproven Devine will compete with the possibility of Pat White, an interesting match up that should end up heavily in White’s favor.  We see White having the potential to have an extraordinary season, with his ability not only to pass the ball, but his lethal running ability as well.  However, White’s NFL career was without many high points, but ultimately we feel that his athletic ability will overtake Devine, but there are certainly no guarantees. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE 2024 Bowl Schedule [link]
    May 02, 2024, 03:46:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for any trade talks the rest of the day
    May 02, 2024, 05:37:03 PM
  • Alpha5: Having trouble with my computer. Will be back up this evening.
    Yesterday at 10:14:17 AM
  • Daddy: My dog ate my computer.
    Yesterday at 12:29:26 PM
  • dbreer23: I wish I was that lucky
    Yesterday at 01:07:02 PM
  • Daddy: Happy 30th birthday @Yeagg!
    Yesterday at 01:49:17 PM
  • Daddy: I got pubic hair older than you
    Yesterday at 01:53:00 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: I have (26) (30) 1st round picks to trade for higher pick let me know. 2 for 1. Frday special
    Yesterday at 03:59:28 PM
  • Brent: Damn, wish I still had a 1st.
    Yesterday at 04:02:05 PM
  • Daddy: I wish i had any picks. Would someone trade an old chap a few draft picks out of pity.
    Yesterday at 04:15:22 PM
  • Daddy: Football draft picks are the only ones in any sport i care about drafting. Hockey is #2, basketball #3 & baseball #5
    Yesterday at 04:18:05 PM
  • Daddy: Id rather draft amateur pickle ball players (#4)then baseball players.
    Yesterday at 04:19:44 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i traded my picks for upgrades
    Yesterday at 04:54:24 PM
  • Daddy: Risky business. Almost all NFL Drafted players see the field and some are instant stars (Puca Nacua) as you know. Its the only draft where the entire draft helps out.
    Yesterday at 05:24:01 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: im aware
    Yesterday at 06:24:20 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: but strongly feel like the trades i made were good
    Yesterday at 06:24:37 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: and depth is key
    Yesterday at 06:24:46 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: look at my team youll see
    Yesterday at 06:24:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: acquiring minshew demarcus robinson and gus edwards
    Yesterday at 06:26:21 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: cost me picks but those guys are already vets
    Yesterday at 06:26:34 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: oh and diablo for defense
    Yesterday at 06:28:36 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: along with gibbens i upgraded both ends
    Yesterday at 06:30:26 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i made the SB last yr tryna keep that window still goin
    Yesterday at 06:31:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for trade talks the rest of the night
    Yesterday at 08:58:13 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Big trade
    Yesterday at 10:47:02 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: The return, per source: Dillon Head, Woo Suk-Go, Jakob Marsee, Nathan Martorella to Marlins for Luis arraez
    Yesterday at 10:47:26 PM
  • dbreer23: Arraez headed to the Padres for 4 prospects.
    Yesterday at 10:47:55 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: dbreer look above
    Yesterday at 10:50:15 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: just said return
    Yesterday at 10:50:21 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: marlins won thsi trade
    Yesterday at 10:52:12 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Dillon Head, Woo Suk-Go, Jakob Marsee, Nathan Martorella great haul
    Yesterday at 10:52:22 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I like that football talk BAB
    Yesterday at 11:21:46 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: You like your team in may and may add something in FA. You are def a force in the NFC
    Yesterday at 11:22:11 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Only the late papps, daddy, TheGoat have ever won the NFC outside of yourself
    Yesterday at 11:22:37 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Papps and daddy did it twice
    Yesterday at 11:22:52 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Those two are also the only ever Superbowl Champions outside of the AFC
    Yesterday at 11:23:21 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Or Superbowl Champions from the NFC i should say. Sorry been drinking lol
    Yesterday at 11:23:44 PM
  • STLBlues91: Im coming for the NFC soon...
    Yesterday at 11:45:39 PM
  • Daddy: Bring it
    Today at 12:16:26 AM
  • Daddy: Im tired of not winning NFL LIVE
    Today at 12:16:40 AM
  • Daddy: My Son has TWO chips to my ONE. And now Rhino has one. Buc already had one.
    Today at 12:18:06 AM
  • Daddy: BAB barking, now you, Brent, Speed, Harman, RJ, roto... whatever. Im get'n mine. So there's that.
    Today at 12:20:31 AM
  • Daddy: You called your shot this year. I'm watching. Two years ago. You predicted it.
    Today at 12:21:54 AM
  • Daddy: Rhino called his last year.
    Today at 12:22:15 AM
  • Daddy: And that smack talk prompted an immediate NFL LIVE Trade. Yup.
    Today at 12:25:31 AM
  • Daddy: Welcome back to profsl you LEGEND you. kylerap!!
    Today at 12:28:30 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Jwalker yss
    Today at 12:44:27 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yes possibly I have cap to make some moves
    Today at 12:45:00 AM
  • Daddy: @BAB you hear the AFC guys calling us out?
    Today at 12:45:43 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: I did
    Today at 01:48:28 AM