Author Topic: Parity... Another discussion I think we need  (Read 901 times)

Offline favo_zomg

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • View Profile
Parity... Another discussion I think we need
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:04:35 AM »
The reason two people are voting for expansion is for parity. I believe that if there are players who believe that the only way we can obtain parity in the league is by an expansion draft, we need to take a further look into the rules and see what we can do before that happens.

Thinking about expansion, I went through my current roster to see who would protect and who would I would make available to be picked, the decisions seemed too easy. I don't think expansion is the answer to parity. I think we need to look at upping the cost of extensions again.

Using my team again, I lost Chris Kunitz and Kevin Klein to free agency. I was able to retain Peter Holland, Matt Belesky, Ryan Callahan, Pavel Datsyuk, Jimmy Hayes (who I traded), Kevan Miller, Mike Weber, and Corey Crawford and I still had 7m in cap with only 3 roster spots to fill and a minor system that is experiencing good growth. I have yet to miss the play-offs in this league, and only once I have failed to make the semi-finals.

Chicago has won every cup since the league opened.
Anaheim has failed once to make the cup final.

I am not sure how much of this we can contribute to good managership and how much we can contribute to low roster turnover. If Tony and Tyler can list their loses to free agency, that would help the conversation. But I think this is a conversation we need to start because people are looking towards expansion as a means to parity, and my initial run through is leaning towards expansion having very little effect on parity.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
  • Director of Media Relations
    • View Profile
Re: Parity... Another discussion I think we need
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »
Personally, I think we're on a level playing field. Tony doesn't hoard talent so much as he re-loads with shrewd trades and FA acquisitions. I've been watching how he does it since I got into the league. Comparatively I know I am over-attached to my drafted prospects and manage with a little too much patience. My style makes me happy, but if you want to create a competitive team from scratch it is certainly possible.

Drew did as much last year and both Abby and Nelly were able to address huge goal-tending issues. The depth of this years FA market aside, I am always able to find good affordable players within an incredibly active market. It takes both skill and luck, but if you show me an active GM then I will show you a roster with a gem of a signing from the free-agent pool.

I want to file this whole conversation under 'be careful what you wish for'. This league shines for the balance it has. It may be time again to escalate the extension values but let's not rush to watering down a league that I recently described as the benchmark for profsl fantasy hockey.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL:  2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 Backyard NHL Stanley Cup Champion :STL-NHL:

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »
As a tongue-in-cheek side note, I would say that if Abby wants parity he should answer all his mail! Just sayin buddy!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL:  2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 Backyard NHL Stanley Cup Champion :STL-NHL:

Offline Drew

• Forum Administrator
  • League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 80
  • Forum Administrator
    • :TEN:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :EDM:
    • :Clemson:
    • :TOR:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
Sorry guys, I am going to answer a bunch of things just in this post that deal with parity and expansion.

I think parity is coming! As for expansion, it wasn't my intention to have an expansion for parity, I just have a ton of very capable GMs on the waiting list and will only be able to choose one for vacant Rangers position.

If you look Washington is one team we have all been watching and they now have Kuemper (who could win his job back or get traded) and Jones as well as Hackett where they hardly had a goalie last year another is Calgary who has been on the cusp each year but now has two solid tenders. Rangers before he left just acquired Schneider to go along with Holtby. LA is the only team with a lot of work left to do but that is simply due to the Gilly factor.

As for Tony and his Blackhawks, sorry going to be honest here, he wasn't the best team last year but hit a stride at the exact right time (playoffs  :puke:). Some teams got unlucky Anaheim and Edmonton (both lost goalies for playoffs) and couldn't recover. St. Louis and Philly were both better teams than Chicago but just couldn't come through in the clutch. This would be the first year that Tony wasn't dominate and his roster has seen quite the turnover again (but he still has good goalies on his side). But he has done things right, trading off assets to acquire pieces that fit into his team and taking the appropriate risks (Steve Mason!!!).

From my teams perspective, I have been inching closer each year. Won the presidents trophy last year and have acquired some nice pieces to make a run next year. I have had to trade away some great prospects for immediate return (Dal Colle, Bennett, Gibson, Ehlers, etc.) which I hate to do but definitely allows rebuilding teams to actually rebuild and for me to compete. The only players I have remaining from my original roster (year 1) are Eberle, Hall and Lucic. It takes commitment, shrewdness and risky behaviour to try and assemble a competitive team here.

As for league turnover, we are solid. We are like a band of brothers, sometimes one goes down but than we gain a new one. We have half of our league has been here over 3 years. With around 13 being here at least a year. The only newbie, Rob has been around ProFSL forever and winter has returned after an absence but is an original member of Backyard, is "themarksman13" who from his activity and involvement seems like he will stick around to even veteran status. There is lots of certainty in the waiting list now with veterans in Jonathan, cho34, jlapo11, papps, BlueJaysTO as well as a good mix of young upcomers in Gorilla43, BAMF, iam$$ so I don't know about worrying about turnover if we add 2 expansion teams or even 4 as we have quite the pool of prospective GMs to choose from.
The only franchise that hasn't had stable ownership is New York. And if you look at the waiting list, those additions that haven't stayed around we some good quality GMs (Jesselton, Jesse, yahoolando, Anthony, SizzRat, among others) but real world came up which we can't predict.

Sorry guys, this probably sounds like rambling but just wanted to make a statement on our talks here. And finally, I wouldn't say I am for expansion because I like my team and I do things for a certain reason and an expansion would hurt that but I think the quality we would infuse would take Backyard up another notch in competitiveness and quality. I don't love huge changes to things that are working but a conversation is obviously needed as is going to let us know what direction to take the league!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Drew's Bio & Trophy Case

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - "Wayne Gretzky"

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 03:17:30 PM »
To sharpen this up a little more I would say there are two distinct topics here. One is Parity, the other is expansion.

As far as Parity goes I want to reiterate that we have it. The major differences are in the choices and activity level of individual GM's. I am saying this as a GM who has turned-over almost every single asset from the team I initially took over. A team that was not a contender. Until someone makes a compelling case that the league is unfair and out of balance then no major changes are needed.

Regarding expansion, I am not at all in favour. If there is a long list of good GM's that want in then that is perfect, because we tend to loose a couple every year. That said, I can see that it will likely get pushed through regardless of how strong my argument is. If and when expansion happens I would like all unsigned prospects (ie. purely drafted properties) to be protected. So any player that is not under contract would be excluded from the expansion draft and GM's would then choose maybe 18-20 contracts to keep.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline abbyroad

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
As a tongue-in-cheek side note, I would say that if Abby wants parity he should answer all his mail! Just sayin buddy!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

In the 4yrs I have been here I might of not responded to maybe half dozen e-mails.................. for reasons I sometimes cant control ( internet, work ect.......) Sorry they all had to be you Slack..... Hahaha. And I usually don't respond if the offer is an obvious fleece job !!................... Just sayin :toth: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline favo_zomg

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 04:27:07 PM »
So I guess we can boil it down to the difference between the top teams and the bottom teams is activity. I got it.

I guess if everyone is fine with the way things are, why even expand? Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should for the sake of doing it. I don't see any positives other then adding two more teams because e have a glut of waiting bodies. And as slack said, we always lose a gm or two, so they will eventually fill in.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
So I guess we can boil it down to the difference between the top teams and the bottom teams is activity. I got it.

Obviously not. This is a keeper league, not a one year. Teams at the bottom may take a few years to contend....as they should.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »
Obviously not. This is a keeper league, not a one year. Teams at the bottom may take a few years to contend....as they should.
To put it another way: if Tony were to take an expansion team I don't think there is anyone here who would bet against him building a challenger.  :koolaid:

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: Wtf brian
    May 10, 2024, 04:44:57 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, that was a wall of WTF.
    May 10, 2024, 05:16:07 PM
  • indiansnation: Iknow what im doing  wilson didnt do crap for me. Was not going to resogn him
    May 10, 2024, 05:53:04 PM
  • indiansnation: Ill sign smith or love in free agency.
    May 10, 2024, 05:56:01 PM
  • indiansnation: Hell i can get both if i want
    May 10, 2024, 05:56:20 PM
  • indiansnation: I will have 141m in cap space.
    May 10, 2024, 05:58:10 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I think thwy are talking about the chat post about jayden daniels brian. Not your trade
    May 10, 2024, 06:00:50 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: *they
    May 10, 2024, 06:00:57 PM
  • Daddy: The World is a better place with you in it Brian. For sure. You are one of a kind sir. You know how i feel about ya.
    May 10, 2024, 06:09:45 PM
  • Daddy: If your post takes up the entire chat box, do not press send. We good. Post the link instead. ;)
    May 10, 2024, 06:11:08 PM
  • Daddy: You trading Russ after pooping on him for two years is no shocking development. You trading anyone other than the Wife shocks no one sir.
    May 10, 2024, 06:14:07 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: LOL!!
    May 10, 2024, 06:18:07 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Fricking hell JW that was savage
    May 10, 2024, 06:18:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: On mother days weekend too
    May 10, 2024, 06:18:54 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: FGM owners SD will look to make moves here very shortly as soon as I get time to get a better understanding of the team
    May 10, 2024, 06:19:59 PM
  • STLBlues91: im around the rest of the day for any talks
    May 10, 2024, 06:52:33 PM
  • Daddy: How does a Man go on vacation for a week yet manage to trade for Russ?  Im not so sure someone didn't miss med call this morning.
    May 10, 2024, 07:09:56 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    May 10, 2024, 10:21:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Jimw pm again
    May 10, 2024, 10:41:28 PM
  • indiansnation: Thanks for quick response brent
    May 10, 2024, 11:57:14 PM
  • Brent: Replied
    Yesterday at 12:09:28 AM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE "Pre Reserve" sign up sheets will appear next week. Be ready to select a college along with your NBA franchise as will be explained.
    Yesterday at 12:54:27 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE & NCAA Basketball LIVE will complete the LIVE experience on profsl. Our leagues have been copied & cloned on other sites. I can show you links.
    Yesterday at 12:56:07 PM
  • Daddy: Often imitated we may be. Duplicated we are not. There are no other leagues that are like us. Dont believe? See for yourself.
    Yesterday at 12:58:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talk
    Yesterday at 03:19:45 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE = 15 man roster >> 15 man G League affiliate (plus finance) >> NCAA Basketball LIVE (College Team) affiliate + recruiting. It will be the most realistic simulation in the dynasty basketball arena.
    Yesterday at 04:32:21 PM
  • Rhino7: I’m in for sure
    Yesterday at 04:38:40 PM
  • Braves155: PM Rhino
    Yesterday at 06:14:38 PM
  • Braves155: Will be around for talks rest of day
    Yesterday at 06:18:46 PM
  • TheGOAT: Anyone who needs secondary in nfl live could talk to me
    Yesterday at 07:43:57 PM
  • TheGOAT: PM STLBlues
    Yesterday at 09:16:47 PM
  • Daddy: Dont you just love it. When a deal comes together with another competitor. That exchanging of assets. Its how civilization was created.
    Yesterday at 10:12:48 PM
  • Daddy: Deal. (Nothing like it)
    Yesterday at 10:13:20 PM
  • Braves155: Anymore deals to be had in NFL LIVE? Looking for picks/young players
    Yesterday at 10:30:35 PM
  • indiansnation: If anybody looking to trade im up for it
    Today at 12:33:55 PM
  • indiansnation: Cubs and guardians make trade in mlb live
    Today at 01:41:33 PM
  • Braves155: I'm also looking to deal
    Today at 02:22:11 PM
  • Daddy: Tomorrow the NBA LIVE "Pre-Reserve" sign up sheet will be posted at 8PM EST. More league details to follow.
    Today at 02:30:02 PM
  • Daddy: Start up virgin franchises and an even playing field from the start. As with all LIVE leagues, no advantages, no disadvantages, only pure competition. The truest proving ground.
    Today at 02:31:26 PM
  • Daddy: Dynasty Basketball will never be the same. Its already changing.
    Today at 02:33:05 PM
  • Braves155: Meanwhile in NFL LIVE...eagerly awaiting start of the NFL LIVE Draft
    Today at 02:34:36 PM
  • Daddy: 8/1/24 8PM EST NFL LIVE Draft. The ultimate LIVE Draft!
    Today at 02:36:28 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE Owners, here is your draft preview [link]
    Today at 02:38:00 PM
  • Braves155: Would be interesting to see some Mock NFL LIVE Drafts, especially after the first 10 or so picks
    Today at 03:39:54 PM
  • Daddy: We only do one and we only do the first round. It isnt released until July.
    Today at 03:54:55 PM
  • TheGOAT: pm STLBlues
    Today at 04:51:27 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: RyanJames5   pm sent.
    Today at 06:22:37 PM
  • TheGOAT: Back again STL
    Today at 06:49:37 PM
  • TheGOAT: Back again STLBlues
    Today at 06:52:56 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE Entry Draft 7/6/24 8PM
    Today at 10:32:18 PM