dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snygg

Re: NL West
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:55 PM »
-

(Will take a closer look at all the teams and come up with a new preview down the thread).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:47:36 AM by Snygg »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :SA:
    • :Blank:
    • :Texas:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »
1. COL Very solid roster with a few stars sprinkled in.
2. SF Top heavy, lacks depth
3. ARZ  Very solid roster with a few stars sprinkled in.
4. LAD Kershaw, Fernandez, Votto.
5. SD Very slighlty above average.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snygg

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
NL West

Arizona Diamondbacks :ARZ: (GM: GlorifiedG)
- The Diamondbacks will be better this year, but so will the division. D-backs got one of the deepest teams in the whole league, injuries won't hurt that much. A lot of players where you might see great bounce-backs - like Miguel Montero (huge salary) and A.J. Pollock, that will be able to perform better this year in Arizona. The pitching is good, the infield is great (especially corner) and the outfield steady as well. The depth will probably take the D-backs to the playoffs.

Players that I value this year: A.J. Pollock (OF), Matt Davidson (3B)

2013 Record: 14-8 | 2014 Projection: 15-7 | Division Rank: 1

Colorado Rockies :COL: (GM: limeygreen)
- The first thing you'll notice with Rockies is the great pitching. Verlander and Cain are elite-pitchers and awesome to own - really like Cain to get nice numbers this year (altough the salary is a bit high for my liking). Smyly and Street also two pitchers that will have a nice year I think. Castro, brilliant catcher going forward, also great value in Ian Kinsler at 2B (4 yrs @ $12.5M). If Melky Cabrera can stay healthy that is also a wonderful add at outfield. There is no doubt that the Rockies will improve this year, to go from 4-17 to the playoffs will be tough in 1 year but there is a possibility.

Players that I value this year: Matt Cain (SP), Drew Smyly (SP), Ian Kinsler (2B), Melky Cabrera (OF), Leonys Martin (OF)

2013 Record: 4-17 | 2014 Projection: 13-9 | Division Rank: 2

Los Angeles Dodgers :LAD: (GM: -)
- Not a well-runned club at the moment, and the squad is no way near standard. A lot depends on if they will be able to find a GM that will be motivated to fix this team. Kershaw, Fernandez and Votto are great to build a team around, but at this stage in the game, there is just no depth here at all. Dodgers will be happy to get a win this year.

Players that I value this year: Clayton Kershaw (SP)

2013 Record: 1-19 | 2014 Projection: 1-19 | Division Rank: 5

San Diego Padres :SD: (GM: Shelby)
- The Padres certainly haven't improved and the division is getting harder. This will be tough year for the Padres that are quite average this year. Ervin Santana might thrive in Atlanta but the pitching is just way off this year. I would even rank Dodgers pitching higher than Padres. The infield is relatively strong but the OF also very thin. Padres will struggle big time this year.

Players that I value this year: Everth Cabrera (SS), Cameron Maybin (OF)

2013 Record: 9-13 | 2014 Projection: 4-17 | Division Rank: 4

San Francisco Giants :SF: (GM: Orange Country)
- In the hunt for a play-off spot the Giants don't want to rely on the pitching, both Diamondbacks and Rockies are better there. The infield not so great either, do like Belt going forward but Hill etc are just losing value. The outfield though...  top 3 atleast in the whole league. Stanton, Upton and Harper will carry this team big. I wonder if it is enough to go past the Rockies.

Players that I value this year: Brandon Belt (1B), Giancarlo Stanton (OF), Bryce Harper (OF)

2013 Record: 17-5 | 2014 Projection: 13-9 | Division Rank: 3
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:00:54 AM by Snygg »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ThePetis

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
Snygg - get job as well, love the additional insight.

One thing I disagree on, I really like the Padres.  They have talent in the minors that can help from day one - Gerrit Cole, Jedd Gyorko, Jesus Guzman, Nate Freiman, and Carter Capps.  My main concern is that I've never seen their owner on our boards, so I doubt he'll run them as effectively as they should be run.  Even without active management, if the over/under on wins was 4, I'd bet big on the over.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snygg

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
Snygg - get job as well, love the additional insight.

One thing I disagree on, I really like the Padres.  They have talent in the minors that can help from day one - Gerrit Cole, Jedd Gyorko, Jesus Guzman, Nate Freiman, and Carter Capps.  My main concern is that I've never seen their owner on our boards, so I doubt he'll run them as effectively as they should be run.  Even without active management, if the over/under on wins was 4, I'd bet big on the over.

Gyorko could definitely do a job this year, but not so fond on the rest. I'm saying max 6 wins.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline seanrmgallagher

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :Pennsylvania:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 03:09:18 AM »
The West is probably the weakest division in the National League and will probably only send one team to the playoffs. The Giants are the favorites, but every team has weakness and lots of question marks. I have the least amount of confidence in my predictions for this division due to the youth and injuries that players are dealing with. The Diamondbacks have the ability to run away with the division, but could also finish in 4th. The top 4 teams in the West are as close as any in the league and should be fun to see who comes out victorious.

In order from favorite to least favorite (2013 record)(My projection):

San Francisco Giants (17-5)(15-7)- The Giants took home the NL West crown last season, and have a solid chance to do so again. The offense is top-heavy and lacks elite depth. The top is very strong, however. They have the best catcher in baseball in Buster Posey, an underrated first baseman in Brandon Belt, an elite second baseman in Aaron Hill when healthy, and Harper/Stanton could go 1-2 in homeruns this year. B.J. Upton can’t be any worse than last year, and Jackie Bradley Jr. should help the depth a bit, but injuries could kill the offense’s chances of being good. The Giants have a very good rotation to make up for that, however. Zimmermann and Shields are aces, Wheeler could be an ace, and Ryu is a solid 2-3. Pineda has looked great this spring and should get back to his old form. Lincecum and Josh Johnson are well past their primes, but should still be solid contributors. The bullpen is very strong and I like Soria to get back to his old form.

Arizona Diamondbacks (14-8)(13-9)- The Dbacks have closed the gap with the Giants this offseason and will compete for the division. They will be relying on young and unproven players and the variability will be high. I expect Montero and Uggla to hit much better this season. Goldschmidt is a supreme talent and should put up top 5 overall points this year. Davidson, Asche, Eaton, and Pollock could all put up big numbers or struggle mightily. I really do not know what to expect with this offense. The pitching has great relief depth, but a pretty weak starting rotation for a playoff contender. I have little confidence in Skaggs, fear Parker’s injury may not allow him to pitch this year, and am worried about the innings Corbin threw last year, as he really faded down the stretch. Feldman and Miley are solid mid to back of the rotation guys and their bullpen is a strength. Too many question marks for me to put them over the Giants, but they certainly could do it.

San Diego Padres (9-13)(11-11)- The Padres outscored their opponents last year, but ended up 4 games under .500. I think they will improve a bit this year. Assuming Cole and Gyorko get called up, they have a solid team. Rizzo could be a huge point earner this year after his sophomore slump. Headley was an MVP candidate in 2012 and should be better than his poor 2013. Everth Cabrera is an elite base stealer, and Josh Hamilton is primed for a comeback year. The Pads need Hamilton and Headley to get fully healthy and need Drew to find a job. Venable is not going to repeat his 20-20 campaign from last year, but is still a solid player. The pitching rotation is weak. Latos is coming off surgery, but should be solid. Gerrit Cole could be this year’s Matt Harvey. Colby Lewis should start the season in the rotation, but probably won’t hold it. Ervin Santana should get a boost by moving to the NL and having the very good Braves defense behind him. There is not much depth though. The bullpen rivals the Royals at the top with three proven closers in Frieri, Nathan, and Janssen. Gregerson should also be very good. The Padres, like other teams in the division have too many question marks for me to have a lot of confidence, but should be around .500.

Colorado Rockies (4-17)(9-13)- The Rockies were a very bad team last year, but have improved significantly. The lineup is okay, but nothing spectacular. Kinsler’s power and speed has been decreasing significantly in the last couple years, Melky is not the same without PEDs, and Billy Butler does not get the fielding points boost. After them and Castro, a catcher I like, the next best offensive weapon they have is Martin, a basestealer with an OPS under .700. This offense has several platoon and utility guys that will not wow you. The pitching is extremely top heavy. Aging stars in Verlander and Cain will put up very good numbers and it will be interesting to see how Smyly handles starting. Beyond that, Vargas is their only other starter. The bullpen should be good with Mujica and Street picking up saves. I am interested to see if Rondon can harness that spectacular arm. This team, to me, will struggle to reach .500.

Los Angeles Dodgers (1-19)(2-20)- The Dodgers are bad. They spent like Magic on Votto, but had way too many other other wholes to fill. Crawford is not what he once was but still good, Ellis is a solid backstop, and Dee Gordon could use his amazing steal to take the 2B job. Kolten Wong has a bright future, despite certain baserunning mistakes… Jose Fernandez and Kershaw make up the best 1-2 starting combination in the league, and Buchholz is great when he puts Vaseline on his pitches. There is pretty much nothing else to mention on this team however. They should bring up the rear in the NL.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

limeygreen

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 05:27:23 PM »
Thanks Guys, this is some great analysis - I hope my team matches expectations!

Chris
Rockies GM
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • jschwab: Oh yeah, and now 1 big honkin' NCAA
    April 17, 2024, 12:34:50 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Haha nice jschwab
    April 17, 2024, 12:45:03 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Indians pm
    April 17, 2024, 01:42:37 PM
  • Daddy: @John :rofl: respect
    April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 PM
  • Daddy: Fantasy sports IS MY getaway. Im a Dad, i work, i deal in real world Crap all day. I travel a lot across the country. My Son and others on site know the life. :rofl:
    April 17, 2024, 02:59:59 PM
  • Daddy: I imagine running a league is equivalent to running 10-32 teams by itself. I can do that from the Crapter.
    April 17, 2024, 03:01:15 PM
  • Daddy: And still be a dad, go on trips, get much booty :) . And im an old fart.
    April 17, 2024, 03:02:42 PM
  • Daddy: oh s?, el pap? hace tiempo para mi bot?n.
    April 17, 2024, 03:05:58 PM
  • dbreer23: Mucho respecto!
    April 17, 2024, 03:31:00 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for any deals
    April 17, 2024, 06:58:06 PM
  • Daddy: Michael Porter Jr.'s brother Jontay.... Banned for life by NBA for gambling.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:24 PM
  • Daddy: He bet on his own performance (under) and his team to lose games.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: good riddance
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:11 PM
  • dbreer23: and I'm not even a NBA fan
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:20 PM
  • Daddy: Gambling is as bad an addiction as there is.  This guy comes from money, has a brother thats uber rich, and he himself was in the NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 11:00:36 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS looking very tough for one team :ANA: 155.05 v 236.25 :NYR: with only today's games left to plan. :judge: [link]
    April 18, 2024, 10:44:33 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any deals
    April 18, 2024, 06:30:53 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here early for talks.
    April 19, 2024, 09:14:02 AM
  • Rob: SlackJack and his Arizona Coyotes are DNHL Champs for the 2nd year in a row.  Congrats!!  [link]
    April 19, 2024, 09:37:43 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Congrats to the 2024 FNHL NYR on winning it all!
    April 19, 2024, 02:23:56 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco: FNHL FINALS OFFICIAL SCORE :ANA: ANH 160.15 v 247.3 :NYR: NYR
    April 19, 2024, 02:25:02 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Well done, FNHL's CaliHkyGuy [link] :winner:
    April 19, 2024, 02:37:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talsk'
    April 19, 2024, 04:11:46 PM
  • STLBlues91: talks**
    April 19, 2024, 04:11:51 PM
  • Daddy: Ever since the Academy Awards a couple years back, ive been working on my slap technique.
    April 19, 2024, 10:21:13 PM
  • Daddy: Being a Philadelphia native, Will Smith has set the bar very high for us and its not like you can just slap random folk for practice.
    April 19, 2024, 10:22:18 PM
  • Braves155: Yo, who around rn?
    April 20, 2024, 10:35:56 AM
  • Rhino7: They do have slap fighting you could try
    April 20, 2024, 12:51:07 PM
  • Daddy: Damn they got slap fighting???
    April 20, 2024, 01:14:10 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Oh yeah they do. It's brutal.
    April 20, 2024, 04:02:39 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Usually on PPV. If you get into that try English phone booth fighting!!!
    April 20, 2024, 04:03:47 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Yup, UFC owned if im not mistaken. They handing out CTE for breakfast over there
    April 20, 2024, 07:18:25 PM
  • Daddy: Will Smith would be Drago in that sport.
    April 20, 2024, 07:58:15 PM
  • Daddy: I would be Clubber Lang
    April 20, 2024, 08:00:04 PM
  • Daddy: @Jwalkerjr88 i bet you are itching to trade or build something right now. Too bad you hate baseball. MLB LIVE be jumping when NFL LIVE rests (not that it rests much but still) :) .
    April 21, 2024, 02:00:29 AM
  • Jon: daddy, your the only game in town now for CFB on the board.  I removed Fansville as i decided i am not giving any more money to Fantrax for premium settings.  My leagues are free
    April 21, 2024, 11:32:55 AM
  • Braves155: MLB LIVE :NYY: has OF for trade looking for INF/pitching
    April 21, 2024, 01:51:13 PM
  • Daddy: Its always better for the site to have at least 2 leagues for each sport. However @Jon i understand the decision.
    April 21, 2024, 01:53:02 PM
  • Daddy: Fantrax fees do get expensive. Its like $110-$120 per league per year and when its all out of your own pocket and you do most of the work, its hard to find value in that.
    April 21, 2024, 01:55:06 PM
  • Daddy: Its like i been gone for a month all these PMs. Lordy! I hope its some trade talk in there.
    April 22, 2024, 11:04:36 AM
  • Daddy: Nope, nobody wants my junk players. It was all admin.
    April 22, 2024, 11:48:14 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahaha
    April 22, 2024, 04:10:00 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: 0 messages here.
    April 22, 2024, 08:27:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Mlb live indians looking to move p woo suk go
    Yesterday at 05:51:59 PM
  • Daddy: What is it the Indians are offering exactly, sounds like a private matter.
    Yesterday at 07:28:24 PM
  • Daddy: @BAB see MLB LIVE current bidding. (Pagan) :toth:
    Today at 12:29:18 AM
  • Daddy: NFL DRAFT TONIGHT ROUND ONE IN PRIME TIME.
    Today at 12:07:54 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: your a day early Daddy
    Today at 12:51:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: ist tomorrow
    Today at 12:52:07 PM
  • Daddy: :doh: FML
    Today at 01:05:48 PM