Author Topic: Need help understanding pitching scoring  (Read 13512 times)

Canada8999

Re: Need help understanding pitching scoring
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 11:03:05 PM »
If we are looking at revamping the scoring system, here is another variation of the defensive & luck independent research: http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/pitching/tera/
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline h4cheng

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »
Liriano + No hitter = 15 points, ouch!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 12:00:21 AM »
No, no. It was his defense that deserves all the points.  :rofl:

Seriously, this is just another a example. Yes, I know he had 7 BB's, but c'mon the man pitched a no hitter and only got 15 points. If this doesn't do it, then I do not know what will.

~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
No, no. It was his defense that deserves all the points.  :rofl:

Seriously, this is just another a example. Yes, I know he had 7 BB's, but c'mon the man pitched a no hitter and only got 15 points. If this doesn't do it, then I do not know what will.

~MTK

Meanwhile, Jesse Crain goes 1.1 innings and scores 30.  Did the Sox hit a ball hard all night?  Honest question, didn't see the game.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Dan Wood

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »
I don't care how many hits he gave up, he hardly struck anyone out, walked the ball park, and was wild as a rabid dog. His no-hitter is purely luck. He had a similar start last week, but he gave up something like 20 hits. Even Mark Beurhle's perfect game was luck driven, he shouldn't have even had a shut-out. Jon Lester had a far superior start last night.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2011, 09:20:10 AM »
"he walked six and struck out just two. Truth be told, he wasn't really dominating, like you envision for a no-hitter. Of the 21 nine-inning no-hitters since 2000 (including Roy Halladay's postseason no-no), Liriano's was the least impressive. Using the Bill James Game Score method, he scored an 83, lower than the 85 that Edwin Jackson scored last year (when he walked eight and fanned six) and A.J. Burnett's 85 in 2001 (nine walks, seven strikeouts). The last pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter with just two strikeouts was the Dodgers' Jerry Reuss, in 1980. The last pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter with a Game Score of 83 was Cliff "Lefty" Chambers, of the 1951 Pirates (he walked eight and struck out four). "

http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/10066/it-wasnt-pretty-but-liriano-throws-a-no-no
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2011, 09:57:03 AM »
"he walked six and struck out just two. Truth be told, he wasn't really dominating, like you envision for a no-hitter. Of the 21 nine-inning no-hitters since 2000 (including Roy Halladay's postseason no-no), Liriano's was the least impressive. Using the Bill James Game Score method, he scored an 83, lower than the 85 that Edwin Jackson scored last year (when he walked eight and fanned six) and A.J. Burnett's 85 in 2001 (nine walks, seven strikeouts). The last pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter with just two strikeouts was the Dodgers' Jerry Reuss, in 1980. The last pitcher to throw a nine-inning no-hitter with a Game Score of 83 was Cliff "Lefty" Chambers, of the 1951 Pirates (he walked eight and struck out four). "

http://espn.go.com/blog/SweetSpot/post/_/id/10066/it-wasnt-pretty-but-liriano-throws-a-no-no

Good sign is that his fastball was back and missing low, but his score is reflective of the system we use.  I have no problem with it.  No hits, but 6 walks can easily lose a game as much as win it. 

I really believe that the conversations about rules, scoring, etc. need to be brought up during the offseason, they are only distractions at this point.  Quite frankly, we will still have to start at the beginning of this subject when discussed in the offseason. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »
I still play baseball, and I have the question; "what isn't luck driven?" I go out there and give it all I got and let the pieces fall where they may. What causes the pieces to fall where they may? My answer is "luck." Things could easily go other ways, but they DIDN'T. I don't care how "lucky" you want to call Liri's no-no, because in my book everything has a "luck" factor. The man went out there and competed against a Major-League caliber lineup who has proven hitters. I think it was a little more than just "luck." He kept his fastball low all night (unlike the rest of the season) and when he missed, he missed down and away, textbook. We need to start giving some points to what ACTUALLY happened instead of all of these different scenarios of what could have happened and because of who. The fact of the matter is, this man went out for 9 IP and didn't allow a hit to a lineup that was considered one of the tops in baseball at the beginning of the season. If it what THAT easy to do, then there would be more than just 21 no-no's since 2001.

MY RANT,
~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2011, 10:40:52 AM »
I still play baseball, and I have the question; "what isn't luck driven?" I go out there and give it all I got and let the pieces fall where they may. What causes the pieces to fall where they may? My answer is "luck." Things could easily go other ways, but they DIDN'T. I don't care how "lucky" you want to call Liri's no-no, because in my book everything has a "luck" factor. The man went out there and competed against a Major-League caliber lineup who has proven hitters. I think it was a little more than just "luck." He kept his fastball low all night (unlike the rest of the season) and when he missed, he missed down and away, textbook. We need to start giving some points to what ACTUALLY happened instead of all of these different scenarios of what could have happened and because of who. The fact of the matter is, this man went out for 9 IP and didn't allow a hit to a lineup that was considered one of the tops in baseball at the beginning of the season. If it what THAT easy to do, then there would be more than just 21 no-no's since 2001.

MY RANT,
~MTK

So this is a field study that you conducted on your own then, and we can use this as actual research as to why we should change the scoring system? Has it been peer reviewed yet, or published anywhere?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Mr.TradeKing

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »
No, it was correctly labeled as a rant. However, as I stated before, I will assist in research and in finding a solution on how to tweak the current system.

I have heard explanations such as "pitchers don't have control over the play after the ball leaves their hand." Erroneous. A decision is made along with release point (talent) that determines the location of a pitch that comes after the ball is released, but is determined when the ball is released. So, to say the pitcher no longer has control over the situation is not completely true. If this was the case, then there would be no such thing a FB and GB pitchers who get higher than average ratios of FB's and GB's respectively due to location and pitch selection. The location of the pitch affects everything from contact (and how hard) along with where and how the ball is hit.

I think sometimes "less is more" and I believe that we have gone too far in the direction of trying to "isolate" the pitcher which has resulted in some qwerky scoring. I think if we "open up" the scoring a little bit more, then we will see the points self-align themselves in what we would consider a "normal" trend based on proven talent.

~MTK
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: I could teach how I did what I did
    May 17, 2024, 07:33:36 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around for a few hours today. Wont be around tomorrow until late
    May 17, 2024, 07:37:07 PM
  • TheGOAT: Thank God that there are 3 really good qb options in the draft. Can't imagine a world with Bo Nix as my frachise qb
    May 17, 2024, 08:12:51 PM
  • TheGOAT: Not that hes bad
    May 17, 2024, 08:13:06 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: think rn my qb room is minshew dobbs wentz
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:37 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: We look forward to your return to the playoffs @Thegoat
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:51 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: You and your brother camw in guns blazing a few years back. The NFC is not the gauntlet the AFC is. Once you make the title game, all bets are off
    May 17, 2024, 08:23:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: nfc is still tough
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had a tough road
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:37 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: to get to teh ship lot of good teams i knocked out
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:50 PM
  • Brent: Carr is OTB for those who don't want a rookie.
    Yesterday at 08:17:12 AM
  • Daddy: The NHL LIVE sign up sheet in the bullpen has nearly 87,000 views. Which is insane.
    Yesterday at 11:47:58 AM
  • Daddy: Whats more insane is we still have 3 open teams
    Yesterday at 11:48:37 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE [link] start new, start from today, sign up.
    Yesterday at 11:49:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Who is looking to trade in mlb live?
    Yesterday at 04:19:30 PM
  • Braves155: Sup guys. Will be around rest of afternoon
    Yesterday at 05:42:19 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs in FGM looking to deal as the rebuild begins. See updated trade block. Thanks!
    Yesterday at 08:34:32 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Dan PM
    Yesterday at 09:41:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea pm
    Yesterday at 11:49:06 PM
  • Daddy: Where did all the traffic go? We topped out at less than 170 Guests today at one time.
    Today at 12:04:15 AM
  • Braves155: Responded Brian
    Today at 12:04:57 AM
  • Daddy: When im talkin chit we get about 900 Guests :rofl:
    Today at 12:07:03 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea new pm
    Today at 12:22:37 AM
  • indiansnation: I wasnt on lol @daddy
    Today at 12:23:17 AM
  • Daddy: Well its gon up to 183 & we can all use more Brian in our lives.
    Today at 12:26:24 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Brian give me a second to look at your latest message. While we were talking had lost power here and only got it back later in the night
    Today at 10:09:04 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Will respond back shortly
    Today at 10:09:12 AM
  • Braves155: Morning guys
    Today at 10:34:10 AM
  • Braves155: Who wanna talk deals?
    Today at 10:47:10 AM
  • IndianaBuc: Braves155 PM
    Today at 11:16:47 AM
  • Braves155: Responded
    Today at 11:17:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 12:39:44 PM
  • Braves155: Responded indians
    Today at 12:43:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    Today at 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    Today at 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    Today at 01:23:10 PM
  • dbreer23: Brian CLE PM
    Today at 01:49:57 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    Today at 03:29:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm trade posted in fgm
    Today at 03:56:17 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves ill send u message soon
    Today at 03:56:32 PM
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    Today at 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    Today at 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    Today at 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    Today at 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    Today at 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    Today at 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    Today at 07:22:40 PM
  • TheGOAT: Around for trade talks in NFL Live
    Today at 08:07:18 PM
  • Braves155: Likewise
    Today at 08:22:40 PM