Author Topic: Need help understanding pitching scoring  (Read 13428 times)

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
Re: Need help understanding pitching scoring
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »
I can only speak for myself, but again, those links provide me nothing I did not already know.  The point remains, our system of scoring does not accurately reflect VALUE.  I am not worried about compilation of stats, I am worried about how those stats are "rewarded."  Outs are not properly valued and hits are not properly punished.  The reason one won't be able to find published articles to fit "this side" of the argument is that the argument pertains to league scoring system.  Unless someone from ESPN, ect is familiar with our league, I doubt anything has been published.  Does that make sense to anyone but me.  Again, WE GET THE SCORING from a "real life" standpoint, everyone should understand FIP by now.  What I am saying is that we don't assign "point values" to the metrics used as accurately as we could.  In real life, outs earned are more valued than walk allowed are shunned.  Would a manager prefer Liriano's performance the other night over a pitcher who goes 5 1/3 with a couple K's, a handful of hits and 3 ER?  Of course not.  Yet, in our league, the second line is the premium scoring line.  You could spend your next 1,000 posts offering more examples of the metrics we use and their merits, but the fact remains that those metrics, and more importantly how we assign points to those metrics, is severely flawed. 

To summarize, no one is debating the metrics that go into figuring out FIP.  However, FIP gives you a single, clean number at the end.  We are not assigning points to that number, we are assigning points to the EVENTS that lead to that single, clean number.  Therein lies the problem, IMO.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Canada8999

« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2011, 09:35:01 AM »
The purpose of those links is to clearly define which metrics a pitcher has control over, and which they do not, since part of the premise of the league is that our scoring will only reflect categories that a player can control.  These categories are K, BB, and GB/FB or HR.  I've posted earlier in this thread that I agree IP could also be a good category.

The issue is that there is not clarity on which categories should be used since many here have scoffed at the thought of hits and runs being primarily made up of the above categories, defense and luck.  Once we've established which categories make sense we can focus in and discuss weighting, which I think at this point we have all agreed will be a worth while discussion.  But we can't then go back and defend the decision for the categories every few months, which seems to happen unless people agree with the principles of FIP, etc.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
Klaw
(1:11 PM)
Because a pitcher doesn't control whether a ball he allows into the field of play becomes a hit or an out, WHIP includes a component (the H) that includes noise from defense and luck. There are several other stats that try to get around that issue, like FIP, which estimates a luck- and defense-neutral ERA based on a pitcher's strikeout, walk, HBP, and home run rates.
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/32103/mlb-insider-keith-law

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney
Looks like by the end of the night,Trevor Cahill will be 14-5, with the second-best ERA in the AL, No. 2 in WHIP -and No. 2 or No. 1 for CY?
25 Aug
in reply to @Buster_ESPN ↑
keithlaw
@keithlaw keithlaw
@
@Buster_ESPN Fangraphs has Cahill 31st among AL starters in WAR with a 4.07 FIP.
http://twitter.com/#!/keithlaw/status/22132994250

Not sure how we can use FIP in a points system.  I do think a certain percentage of hits should count against pitchers.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2011, 10:04:26 AM »
Good point Ben... let's aim at the stat categories that we should use...

HR
K
BB (perhaps slightly less weight)
HBP (is this part of BB?)
XBH (subtract out HR points, consider that a high percentage of 2B and 3B are due to bad pitches)
GB (perhaps slightly less weight)
FB
IP (perhaps we need more weight here)

We should post our total points scored for position players and pitchers to make sure our ratios are in line.  Some teams will be off due to an abundance of a certain position.  Ideally, the pitching staff should be 38% of the points.

Pirates' Pos. Players = 3183 -> 62.5%
Pirates' Pitching Staff = 1907 -> 37.5%

I just want to make clear that the ratios we use are solid.  I suppose we could consider the counting of hitting and defense statistics for pitchers, but all of the empty AB will hurt pitchers and their glove is not used that much.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Dan Wood

« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »
Instead of XBH, which could be considered bad luck or poor defense, we could give LD a go. I know that for the most part LD ratios will all even out. But in a bad start it should be reflected in the amount of line drives a pitcher gives up. LD has been requested several times in the past. But I really think, regardless of what we decide to do, we need to run a beta test on Fantrax to see what the scores would look like. Because even if we update the scoring, we could have the same problem that we are having now. The scoring needs to be put through the motions in order to know what the end numbers will look like. That is in my opinion. I don't think we should deviate too much from what the original idea for pitching scoring. Personally I don't think we should change anything, we all know what the values currently are in this system, and should adapt to it. We have all had a year to observe and react to what is good and what is bad. The types of pitchers that have value and the types of pitchers that don't.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bravesfan4

« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »
Xbh is a good category. If were saying xbh is luck then xbh should not be an offensive category. For example i have zack grienke.  In watching his game last nite i saw my yankees get 6 points because of back to back doubles.

All this talk about makes me sick. Walks should be eliminated. Each umpire is different and there are blown calls sometimes resulting in a walk. Thats not the pitchers fault. I think all hitters playing in texas should get less points hrs. And all red soxs shud get lesa points for doubles. A homer at SD should be worth 20. Do we like these ideas? Of course not.

Why dont we all stop over analyzing, stop being stubborn, stop looking at what is best for our team. And instead think about the game of baseball. What are important stats. Hits are important, but when a pitcher gives up a hit we get points. Something is wrong there.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »
The purpose of those links is to clearly define which metrics a pitcher has control over, and which they do not, since part of the premise of the league is that our scoring will only reflect categories that a player can control.  These categories are K, BB, and GB/FB or HR.  I've posted earlier in this thread that I agree IP could also be a good category.

The issue is that there is not clarity on which categories should be used since many here have scoffed at the thought of hits and runs being primarily made up of the above categories, defense and luck.  Once we've established which categories make sense we can focus in and discuss weighting, which I think at this point we have all agreed will be a worth while discussion.  But we can't then go back and defend the decision for the categories every few months, which seems to happen unless people agree with the principles of FIP, etc.

:iatp:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bravesfan4

« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
So lets start a few seperate threads for categories and discuss them individually.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »
I think we all need to take a step back and start at the beginning.  WHY are we trying to eliminate luck in the first place?  Luck as it was defined by the links posted is as much a fabric of baseball as a home run.  Trying to eliminate luck is akin to changing history.  Can we declare the Yanks the champs in 2001, because the D-Backs had a lucky blooper in the 9th inning due to the Yanks playing the infield in?  Luck is part of the game folks.  The best players don't always succeed, and the best teams don't always win.  Billy Beane once said that the playoffs themselves are one big crap-shoot due to the limited sample size of the data.  Baseball didn't eliminate the post-season and declare a winner based on that argument even though 162 games is a more valid sample size than a max 17-game post-season.  I truly appreciate all the attempts here to make this as realistic as possible, but I don't believe that we are capturing the WHOLE essence of the simulation if we pick and choose which stats to use.  Hits allowed and heaven forbid earned runs may not be within the total control of the pitcher, but they are counted in the record books.  I'm sorry, but I could never support their removal no matter how much empirical data is provided to show that pitching is not an exercise in fairness.  I support the Game Score not because I think that the pitcher had 100% control over each of its underlying stat components, but rather because I believe that it's the most accurate way to capture the events of what truly occurred that day and weighs them in a meaningful way without removing any elements of the game due to luck or defense.  Luck and defense are as much a part of the game as the 7th inning stretch. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2011, 01:25:56 PM »
The above was well stated.  The analogy I take from the post is that while a pitcher may finish the season with an ERA around 4, that does not mean each of his starts he yeilded 4 runs and 9 innings of work.  This whole thing about "luck" and "factors beyong the players control" is bastardizing a sound philisophy.  Unless one is playing an individual sport, there are an infinite number of factors a player can not control.  Results are the name of the game.  Teams don't care if a guy walks 10, did we win the game and did those baserunners come in to score.  To take it further, should a GB double play have more value if executed by the MI of, say the Twins (Hardy and Cuddyer) than one from the Yankees (Jeter, Cano).  Jeter and Cano are better fielders, combined, so their pitchers have a built in advantage.  So the walks of the Yankees pitchers may not be as "negative" as walks from a pitcher whose team are not glove wizards.  We can filter this all the way down to bogus proportions if we really want to.  I agree with the idea of beta testing a system.  It appears the majority, if not consesus, says this needs to be seriously looked at. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Load up on MLB guys, then near MLB guys, and only then is the quality of your prospects matter. Ya dig ;)
    May 05, 2024, 06:24:36 PM
  • Brent: I over value minors to a fault, but I am softening on that stance.
    May 05, 2024, 06:45:54 PM
  • dbreer23: @BigDon you around? Get a hold of me over at FT if you are.
    May 05, 2024, 08:22:38 PM
  • Daddy: Big ol NFL LIVE trade to get the day started on a Monday.
    May 06, 2024, 11:03:41 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to both GMs
    May 06, 2024, 11:03:58 AM
  • Daddy: If anyone didnt know.. The Philadelphia Phillies are good at baseball :)
    May 06, 2024, 11:14:22 AM
  • indiansnation: Dave w pm
    May 06, 2024, 03:10:22 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: FGM is looking for a GM.  If you are interested, please PM me
    May 06, 2024, 04:35:04 PM
  • Daddy: If i weren't so busy i would take it. FGM is a great league well run.
    May 06, 2024, 04:38:29 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talks
    May 06, 2024, 05:08:40 PM
  • Daddy: 23,575 views.. in a couple months. What am i talking about? "One" of the NHL LIVE sign up sheet.
    May 06, 2024, 07:06:21 PM
  • Daddy: See for yourself [link]
    May 06, 2024, 07:06:43 PM
  • Daddy: Now either there are a lot of people copying our style or trying to learn it.. or possibly there is just that much interest by visitors. Maybe both. Either way, we got to be doing something right. The NHL LIVE season, will start with an amateur draft.
    May 06, 2024, 07:08:56 PM
  • Daddy: Hard as it is to believe. There are a couple Franchises still available. See for yourself what all the fuss is about.
    May 06, 2024, 07:14:35 PM
  • Braves155: Will be around for talks tonight
    May 06, 2024, 08:43:53 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Braves I messaged u back yesterday got no reply yet
    May 06, 2024, 08:56:53 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Just sent it again in case it didn't go through yesterday
    May 06, 2024, 08:57:27 PM
  • Braves155: Replied BAB
    May 06, 2024, 09:11:26 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Back to ya
    May 06, 2024, 09:43:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Kylerap pm
    Yesterday at 12:47:06 AM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    Yesterday at 12:47:38 AM
  • Daddy: If you are in NCAA Football & decide to do NCAA Basketball... Your same school will carry over to the new sport.
    Yesterday at 02:09:40 AM
  • Daddy: Soon the NBA LIVE Pre Reserve sign up sheet will go up. A lot of people have been asking.
    Yesterday at 02:10:36 AM
  • Daddy: The NFL teams come with NCAA. The NBA teams will be the same. NCAA Basketball will end with a 32 team tournament as a 64 team league. More details to come. Thanks!
    Yesterday at 02:13:48 AM
  • Rhino7: NBA LIVE  :taco: :bacon:
    Yesterday at 10:16:50 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 01:50:45 PM
  • indiansnation: Lets talk trade who is up for it any league
    Yesterday at 03:09:50 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night for any talks
    Yesterday at 05:55:10 PM
  • Daddy: Me too
    Yesterday at 07:11:43 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Same
    Yesterday at 10:16:04 PM
  • Brent: Same.  I'm knocking out some homework and jumping over here every now and then.
    Yesterday at 11:30:52 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    Today at 01:07:48 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Good morning. Thee Pittsburgh Steelers are open for negotiations
    Today at 10:12:07 AM
  • Daddy: It is always a good day to trade or kick ass or both.
    Today at 01:43:53 PM
  • Daddy: Currently sitting in waffle house in the company of a beautiful woman in a southern state. Planning domination.
    Today at 02:02:43 PM
  • Daddy: How u livin?
    Today at 02:02:55 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Pretty good. At home working and listening to offers.
    Today at 02:32:22 PM
  • indiansnation: Who wants to talk trade with me any  league doesnt matter
    Today at 04:47:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Im looking to aquire draft capital in nfl live. Know that ny team is pretty much set in mlb live know its time for nfl live
    Today at 04:48:25 PM
  • indiansnation: Its wednesday 3pm and im still going to kick toronto but this week
    Today at 04:49:26 PM
  • Daddy: We are about to open NHL & NCAA
    Today at 04:57:24 PM
  • Daddy: Stymie thine lips on beating Toronto. You aint done that in years. Lastly, im going to take the lowly Flyers and destroy you with them. You and 31 others but mostly you.
    Today at 05:01:08 PM
  • indiansnation: What does daddy and a girl have in common?
    Today at 05:12:38 PM
  • indiansnation: He likes to talk to much and is never right lol
    Today at 05:13:43 PM
  • Daddy: We dont like you
    Today at 05:13:55 PM
  • Daddy: See. You gonna get us boycotted. You Dinosaur.
    Today at 05:15:13 PM
  • indiansnation: Hell daddy u dont even like yourself.
    Today at 05:15:16 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: bayarea pm
    Today at 05:16:22 PM
  • indiansnation: Ldsjayhawks u gotta get back to me about our trade talk
    Today at 05:37:54 PM
  • Braves155: Oh Crap, someone say NFL LIVE?
    Today at 06:39:33 PM