Author Topic: Salary Cap Calculation questions  (Read 253 times)

Offline tdtdtd

• Veteran
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :IND:
    • :IND-NBA:
    • :Blank:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
Salary Cap Calculation questions
« on: January 09, 2022, 01:17:28 PM »
I have a couple questions/comments about the salary cap calculations still.

1. Is there any way to view my team's salary cap value for the previous year(s)? That seems needed to calculate the future caps, and I don't see any way of finding it.

2. In the example in the rulebook, shouldn't that calculation be for 2011 since it is 2 years out?

On an unrelated note, am I supposed to do something if I want my team page updated for 2021 results or does Flash just do all those and hasn't quite finished yet? I noticed the 2015-19 results are probably not right either. This isn't a big issue, but it would be nice if the information was correct if it is going to be there.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Tanner

Cross-Court Dynasty - OKC Thunder :OKC:
2020-present
Bucket Of Dimes - Boston Celtics
2022-present
Franchise GM - Baltimore Orioles :BAL:
2021-present
Armchair - Tampa Bay Rays :TB:
2021-present

Offline tdtdtd

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Salary Cap Calculation questions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 01:24:55 PM »
Also,

3) What is used for the payroll values? Spotrac?

4) Is the 20m not added to the stand anymore? It doesn't seem like it was in the example at the end of the rules.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Tanner

2020-present
2022-present
2021-present
2021-present

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 05:44:58 PM »
Also,

3) What is used for the payroll values? Spotrac?

4) Is the 20m not added to the stand anymore? It doesn't seem like it was in the example at the end of the rules.

When Franchise GM first began, real-life salaries were used, but we no longer use real-life salaries.  Instead, our salaries are based on the total yearend contracts of each team.  At the end of the season, all the rostered players who were not dropped prior to the end of the season, either by being Released under Contract or through a Contract Buyout, are ranked by position and placed on our Extension Values Scale.

Team salary caps are based on a three year scale to calculate the salary caps for the season immediately following the present season.  Those calculations are based on two factors:

1:  75% of a team?s present and two previous years, so for 2022, the years used were 2019, 2020, and 2021;

2:  25% comes from the team?s finish in the standings for the same years.  All the teams are ranked from highest to lowest and the 25% is based on where a team finishes (1-30).

Those 6 dollar amounts are added together and divided by 3.  The final amount of that equation becomes the salary cap for the season following the present one, in this case 2022.  Teams usually don?t have a big jump or big drop in cap.  Caps usually fluctuate single digit amounts.  We have a limitation of $20.0m, but in my years in the league I have never seen an increase or decrease coming close to that figure.

Our highest cap figure is $164.0m and the lowest is $75.5m.  As a league, we do not have playoff bonuses, and during the past six years, the highest cap amount decreased because the top team finished at the bottom of standings four successive years while the teams with the lowest caps finished higher in the standings.

There is no public record of salary caps other than our team rosters.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline tdtdtd

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 07:24:55 PM »
If you mean the 25% part would take use the 10th highest FGM salary cap for the team that placed 10th in the standings (as opposed to using 10th highest real payroll), then the rulebook should probably be revised. It says

"It is designed to take into account current market position, winning, and real life economic fluctuations.  This new system fixed two problems that exist in the previous structure: huge swings in cap year-to-year for mid-large market teams AND the lack of a tie to real life salaries over time."

It sounds like there is no longer any tie to real life salaries.

Also, if 2018-2020 salaries are used for 2021 (which contradicts the rules and would need updated*), doesn't that mean that the 2023 salary cap values are not set in stone yet since they depend on the 2021 final standings?

*"Therefore, the average returns between 2007 and 2009 would be used in calculating the 2011 cap."
and other places.

I realize that the salary cap changes are small enough that it doesn't matter much, but I also think it is a little annoying that the rules don't explain how it is calculated well. And also that the information needed to estimate future caps does not exist on the site.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 07:47:17 PM by tdtdtd »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Tanner

2020-present
2022-present
2021-present
2021-present

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 09:02:35 PM »
If you mean the 25% part would take use the 10th highest FGM salary cap for the team that placed 10th in the standings (as opposed to using 10th highest real payroll), then the rulebook should probably be revised. It says

"It is designed to take into account current market position, winning, and real life economic fluctuations.  This new system fixed two problems that exist in the previous structure: huge swings in cap year-to-year for mid-large market teams AND the lack of a tie to real life salaries over time."

It sounds like there is no longer any tie to real life salaries.

Also, if 2018-2020 salaries are used for 2021 (which contradicts the rules and would need updated*), doesn't that mean that the 2023 salary cap values are not set in stone yet since they depend on the 2021 final standings?

*"Therefore, the average returns between 2007 and 2009 would be used in calculating the 2011 cap."
and other places.

I realize that the salary cap changes are small enough that it doesn't matter much, but I also think it is a little annoying that the rules don't explain how it is calculated well. And also that the information needed to estimate future caps does not exist on the site.

I really am sorry you?re annoyed, but prior to your entrance into the league it was conveyed to everyone who was a GM at the time, that our cap and extensions would be based on the salaries we give our players within the league?based on the concept of supply and demand.

As you have suggested, I will look over the existing rules and update them so there is no confusion. 

As far as 2023 is concerned, I misspoke earlier.  This is what I should have posted:
?75% of a team?s present and two previous years, so for 2022, the years used were 2018, 2019, and 2020.?  So for 2023, the cap calculations are based on 2019, 2020, and 2021. 

I will also update your team history in the near future.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline tdtdtd

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 08:22:02 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications.

Sorry for all the questions. I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it since it doesn't change much year to year.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Tanner

2020-present
2022-present
2021-present
2021-present

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Funny.. NFL LIVE has the longest offseason and the most transactions.
    May 08, 2024, 11:02:40 PM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE is by far the hottest league right now though.
    May 08, 2024, 11:03:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Colts in nfl live make their first big trade in nfl live
    May 08, 2024, 11:56:34 PM
  • Daddy: Brian why do you keep dropping 15 prospects at a time in baseball? Are you not signing guys you believe in?
    Yesterday at 12:09:23 AM
  • indiansnation: I'm all about adding better prospects to my team in long run
    Yesterday at 12:17:05 AM
  • indiansnation: I am the biggest nerd when it comes to milb prospects their is like another 100 prospects in mlb i could add right know in heartbeat. My luttle time im off from work I spend hours looking at specs.
    Yesterday at 12:23:33 AM
  • indiansnation: If u look at everybody in mlb live prospect wise is killing it in minors. Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live and then start working on nfl live and and nhl live.
    Yesterday at 12:25:51 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: niners could still be interested in adding players. believ i have  abt 4 picks in 2025 that i can maybe use in trade depending on deal
    Yesterday at 12:30:57 AM
  • dbreer23: "Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live" - I'll believe that when...well, never!
    Yesterday at 01:02:58 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: lmaoo way to contradict brian
    Yesterday at 01:10:09 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed
    Yesterday at 01:10:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had room in my farm so i figured i fill it some
    Yesterday at 01:10:20 AM
  • Daddy: I dont mind activity. Especially with purpose. Brian needs hockey to start.
    Yesterday at 01:11:26 AM
  • Daddy: Its been so long since ive done a hockey league and ive fallen behind a bit in the sport because of that. This year hockey is back in my life for good.
    Yesterday at 01:12:42 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian we have a 60 player minor league limit. All of our guys on each team should be killing it in the minors. Sign guys you believe in. Then let them develop.
    Yesterday at 01:21:47 AM
  • Daddy: Everytime a guy is hitting .400 at Corpus Christi that doesn't make him Ted Williams.
    Yesterday at 01:26:13 AM
  • Daddy: None of these dudes are gonna help you avoid datazzwhupin im putting on you this week. Reap the whirlwind Brian. Reap it.
    Yesterday at 01:29:07 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: is this reference to guys i added?
    Yesterday at 01:29:55 AM
  • Daddy: You sir... No. Football is our battle ground. Im talking about Mr. 189 minor league nerd that TEXTED me he was gon whoop me this week.
    Yesterday at 01:34:21 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahahah ok
    Yesterday at 01:35:38 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy is going down by guardians in mlb live.
    Yesterday at 01:40:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey colts in nfl live looking to move qb russel Wilson looking for draft picks in return.
    Yesterday at 01:43:08 PM
  • Daddy: That is a great trade in MLB. Most trades are great but few are star worthy. Congratulations to both GMs!
    Yesterday at 04:19:40 PM
  • Daddy: Isaac Coffey will be a FA again in 72 hours.
    Yesterday at 04:21:55 PM
  • OUDAN: CCD guys lets deal!!!!
    Yesterday at 04:44:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: prolly will be yes daddy
    Yesterday at 04:55:56 PM
  • Daddy: As long as both owners are happy @BAB and they both seem very happy.
    Yesterday at 05:41:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: yeah i hear ya
    Yesterday at 06:02:44 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: has CCD been active
    Yesterday at 06:07:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: havent really checked that one much
    Yesterday at 06:07:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: been focused on LIVE
    Yesterday at 06:07:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night for trade talks in any league
    Yesterday at 07:19:35 PM
  • Brent: CCD is very active on the Discord Channel.
    Yesterday at 07:55:50 PM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    Yesterday at 07:57:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: evening
    Yesterday at 08:03:53 PM
  • Braves155: Will be on for a portion of the evening
    Yesterday at 08:10:39 PM
  • Braves155: Been starting to get into these older games that originally ran off DOSBOX for those who know what I'm talking about. The idea is you build your team with a salary of XXX and then every 2-3 seasons you have decisions to make. Field a 26 man roster, control your own pitching rotation, pen, lineup & bench like the true MLB. Draft every season where there's a lot of turnover. Interesting for sure.
    Yesterday at 08:15:28 PM
  • Braves155: PM Jwalk (Jets)
    Yesterday at 08:30:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: idsjayhawk replied
    Yesterday at 08:34:31 PM
  • Braves155: PM Professor Dan
    Yesterday at 09:19:27 PM
  • Daddy: Let that Man go on vacation. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 09:27:13 PM
  • Daddy: He had earned this getaway. His computer has earned it.
    Yesterday at 09:28:07 PM
  • Braves155: NEVER!!
    Yesterday at 09:28:29 PM
  • Braves155: You mean 'getaway' from 100 prospect posts/week from our Brian?
    Yesterday at 09:29:17 PM
  • Braves155: Any LIVE deal talks? Hmu
    Yesterday at 09:38:00 PM
  • Daddy: He ain't the only one brotha :)
    Yesterday at 09:40:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: dbreer deserves at least a hanfulof beers and margs
    Yesterday at 09:45:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: we put him through the ringer w the activity
    Yesterday at 09:45:54 PM
  • Rhino7: CCD has had a lot of trades lately
    Yesterday at 09:54:49 PM
  • Daddy: That's awesome!
    Yesterday at 10:06:13 PM