Author Topic: Scoring for Pitchers  (Read 4994 times)

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
Scoring for Pitchers
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:34:52 PM »
Guys,

We might want to consider revising the scoring for pitchers if we want this league to accurately reflect the pitcher's relative worths in real life.  Having a system that doesn't seem to penalize earned runs or baserunners allowed seems to be counter to real life.  For example, Justin Masterson is the 23rd ranked pitcher according in fantrax and here are his real life numbers:

ERA      5.31
WHIP  1.629

The only things he seems to do well is produce groundballs and prevent home runs.  He is one example, but there are many others.  I know people have traded based on the current system, but that should not prevent us from trying to revise it if we agree that it's not realistic.

Roy

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

clidwin

Re: Scoring for Pitchers
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »
Guys,

We might want to consider revising the scoring for pitchers if we want this league to accurately reflect the pitcher's relative worths in real life.  Having a system that doesn't seem to penalize earned runs or baserunners allowed seems to be counter to real life.  For example, Justin Masterson is the 23rd ranked pitcher according in fantrax and here are his real life numbers:

ERA      5.31
WHIP  1.629

The only things he seems to do well is produce groundballs and prevent home runs.  He is one example, but there are many others.  I know people have traded based on the current system, but that should not prevent us from trying to revise it if we agree that it's not realistic.

Roy

Yes, I also agree that the pitching scoring needs to be changed.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:08:25 PM »
I strongly disagree

We have scoring for pitchers that is based on significant amounts of research for a pitcher's actual skill.  Furthermore, we agreed that the scoring format should be discussed heavily (as it was) and then set once and fixed, with only minor tweaks in the future - this is because all player movements are based on the players value in our league / scoring format...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »
As for the Masterson reference, he has been terribly unlucky but his underlying skills have been strong - his tERA (which is a significantly more accurate reflection of a pitchers contribution than ERA is) is 3.82:
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2038&position=P

The problem with his ERA/WHIP is a 0.348 BABIP - the very kind of bad luck our scoring format is designed to prevent...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:46:47 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something.  We have 4 pitching categories:

GB
HR allowed
K
BB

How exactly are all those fancy stats such as BABIP and FIP taken into account that would measure a pitcher's true ability if we're not using basic ones such as ERA and WHIP?  Absent that, perhaps someone who came up with this measure could explain how it's superior to the ones used in the major leagues in salary talks.  I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, but I've seen horrible games by pitchers who have allowed 10, 11 hits and 8-10 ER (such as recent games by Shields and Maholm) result in average pitching points because of the stats we're using.  I'd like to hear from the rest of the RC on this issue.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

lp815

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 12:09:47 AM »

GB
HR allowed
K
BB

How exactly are all those fancy stats such as BABIP and FIP taken into account that would measure a pitcher's true ability if we're not using basic ones such as ERA and WHIP?  Absent that, perhaps someone who came up with this measure could explain how it's superior to the ones used in the major leagues in salary talks.  I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, but I've seen horrible games by pitchers who have allowed 10, 11 hits and 8-10 ER (such as recent games by Shields and Maholm) result in average pitching points because of the stats we're using.  I'd like to hear from the rest of the RC on this issue.

Scoring isn't really my strong point (math isn't my forte), so I will abstain from this discussion for the time being, as I know that Mike, Colby, Dan, and Ben have a much firmer grip on types of scoring than I do, and I know for a fact that Mike, Ben, and Colby were the lead innovators for the current format.

However I, for the time being, do not see a huge issue with the current system, as I know that a lot of time and effort was put into this scoring format, and it had to have been implemented for solid reasons.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Canada8999

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:36:14 AM »

GB
HR allowed
K
BB

The short answer is these categories are those that the pitcher controls, and everything else is out of his hands - ERA and WHIP are products of these categories, but they also include a significant about of luck.  For that reason, if you're going to pick statistical categories to rate your pitchers buy you might as well stick with the ones that they actually control and represent their true skills/performance (and for the record, this was one of Colby's founding principles for the league)

If you're interested in learning more about where all of this research comes from, I suggest researching things such as DIPS, BABIP, FIP, xFIP, tERA, etc.

Some sites that come up:
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=878
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/batted-balls-and-dips/
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/pitcher-win-values-explained-part-two

and not that ESPN has anything to do with generating these findings, but just to show that they are referenced by major sports sites:
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?id=5260306
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 12:37:49 AM by Brewers GM »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline rcankosy

• All-Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:11:10 AM »
Yes, I am familiar with all those stats you rattled off, and I've read articles on the topic.  However, I don't buy the theory that hits allowed and earned runs are primarily defensive dependant stats.  The good pitchers are hard to hit and they bear down with men on base to prevent runs from scoring. 

Anyway, I think we can improve our scoring for pitchers by simply adding a few categories such as hits and earned runs allowed.  The good pitchers will not be penalized, and the bad ones will fall in the rankings.   
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline MillerTime

• Legend
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 08:02:10 AM »
It is very tough to manage a team with moving target rules.  However, I understand continuous improvement of a league.

The primary issue I have with this, is it would change the value of many of the transactions of this season.  Managers have planned for this system in their transactions.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:02:33 AM by MillerTime »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' - Homer Simpson

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
I fully support our scoring system.  You'll also have some statistical outliers, but at the end of the day, the pitchers with the most strikeouts, least walks, and possibly more groundballs (generally will be outs where as flyballs will lead to hits) will have better ERA and WHIP. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Brent: Thank you.  Yes, I agree.  I do need to break one asset down to 3.  I did that with JJ, went from S tier to 2 A tiers.  Now I need to potentially go from an A tier to 3 Bs or something like that.  I've had some inquiries on Carr, but nothing worth moving him.
    May 17, 2024, 03:48:17 PM
  • Alpha5: Guarantee I know who he traded Kamara to for 1-7 without even looking
    May 17, 2024, 05:22:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: alpha it was a good trade at the time
    May 17, 2024, 05:29:49 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: my team was in the Crapter at that pt
    May 17, 2024, 05:29:58 PM
  • Brent: Who did you draft with the 1st acquired in that trade?
    May 17, 2024, 05:36:34 PM
  • Daddy: Whoever it was, he got six more choices on top of that. The "win win" scenario.
    May 17, 2024, 05:53:04 PM
  • Daddy: At that time i had no RB1. So i traded an entire draft class to get one.
    May 17, 2024, 05:54:10 PM
  • Daddy: SF doubled up his pick haul and went to work, using them in trades & draft return.
    May 17, 2024, 05:54:46 PM
  • Daddy: Then beat me in the NFC Title game.
    May 17, 2024, 05:55:32 PM
  • Daddy: RB is a hard position to nail down. If someone wants to trade me 1-7 for Kamara. Step right up.
    May 17, 2024, 06:02:30 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I gotta see what I did
    May 17, 2024, 06:05:04 PM
  • Daddy: You got better
    May 17, 2024, 06:13:59 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i did so many moves trades and draft that i honestly dunno
    May 17, 2024, 06:18:48 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: This is the way
    May 17, 2024, 06:21:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I could teach how I did what I did
    May 17, 2024, 07:33:36 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around for a few hours today. Wont be around tomorrow until late
    May 17, 2024, 07:37:07 PM
  • TheGOAT: Thank God that there are 3 really good qb options in the draft. Can't imagine a world with Bo Nix as my frachise qb
    May 17, 2024, 08:12:51 PM
  • TheGOAT: Not that hes bad
    May 17, 2024, 08:13:06 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: think rn my qb room is minshew dobbs wentz
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:37 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: We look forward to your return to the playoffs @Thegoat
    May 17, 2024, 08:22:51 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: You and your brother camw in guns blazing a few years back. The NFC is not the gauntlet the AFC is. Once you make the title game, all bets are off
    May 17, 2024, 08:23:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: nfc is still tough
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had a tough road
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:37 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: to get to teh ship lot of good teams i knocked out
    May 17, 2024, 08:25:50 PM
  • Brent: Carr is OTB for those who don't want a rookie.
    Yesterday at 08:17:12 AM
  • Daddy: The NHL LIVE sign up sheet in the bullpen has nearly 87,000 views. Which is insane.
    Yesterday at 11:47:58 AM
  • Daddy: Whats more insane is we still have 3 open teams
    Yesterday at 11:48:37 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE [link] start new, start from today, sign up.
    Yesterday at 11:49:27 AM
  • indiansnation: Who is looking to trade in mlb live?
    Yesterday at 04:19:30 PM
  • Braves155: Sup guys. Will be around rest of afternoon
    Yesterday at 05:42:19 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs in FGM looking to deal as the rebuild begins. See updated trade block. Thanks!
    Yesterday at 08:34:32 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: Dan PM
    Yesterday at 09:41:36 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea pm
    Yesterday at 11:49:06 PM
  • Daddy: Where did all the traffic go? We topped out at less than 170 Guests today at one time.
    Today at 12:04:15 AM
  • Braves155: Responded Brian
    Today at 12:04:57 AM
  • Daddy: When im talkin chit we get about 900 Guests :rofl:
    Today at 12:07:03 AM
  • indiansnation: Bayarea new pm
    Today at 12:22:37 AM
  • indiansnation: I wasnt on lol @daddy
    Today at 12:23:17 AM
  • Daddy: Well its gon up to 183 & we can all use more Brian in our lives.
    Today at 12:26:24 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Brian give me a second to look at your latest message. While we were talking had lost power here and only got it back later in the night
    Today at 10:09:04 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Will respond back shortly
    Today at 10:09:12 AM
  • Braves155: Morning guys
    Today at 10:34:10 AM
  • Braves155: Who wanna talk deals?
    Today at 10:47:10 AM
  • IndianaBuc: Braves155 PM
    Today at 11:16:47 AM
  • Braves155: Responded
    Today at 11:17:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    Today at 12:39:44 PM
  • Braves155: Responded indians
    Today at 12:43:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    Today at 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    Today at 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    Today at 01:23:10 PM