Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 1691 times)

DarylH

Some questions
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:47:43 AM »
Hey guys,

New here and just trying to get everything figured out.  I have a few questions.  I have searched around on the boards but not been able to find these answers.  Thanks.

1.  Is there a list somewhere of upcoming FA's?

2.  How do I find out if I can extend a contract?  On my current roster I see guys that have FA listed for 2014 salary.  Can I extend them?  If so how do I figure out that number?  I looked at tthe contract extensions page but I am not sure how to figre out what percentile players are at.  Sorry.  Same with ARB numbers.  How do I figure out what the arb number will be?

3.  Is there a list of the draft order out there somewhere?

Thanks guys and I am sorry if all this info is out there somewhere.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DarylH

Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
On number 2 I guess I am not sure on where to get their total fantasy points.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :SA:
    • :Blank:
    • :Texas:
    • View Profile
Some questions
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »
Number 1, not yet. Free agency will be done in groups of 20 so players don't get lost in the madness.

Number 2, you can extend 2 free agents every off season up to 5 years. The instructions are in the constitution. To find the rank go to fantrax and search players by the position. Get the rank of your player for the last 2 years. Use the higher number and follow instructions.

Number 3,  is posted under the transactions page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DarylH

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
Thanks.  And what about the ARB guys?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
    • View Profile
Some questions
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
It's in the constitution.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

haseloff

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
It's in the constitution.

No offense but "it's in the constitution" is horrible advice for people who are new managers in this league (which is about half the league).  I've searched the threads and there is no plain language walk through.

1.  Do we extend players where FA shows up in 2014 column?  As in, if we don't they'll become a FA? 
2  Or do we extend them in the last year of their ARB? (as in during the next offseason or this one?0 
3  I just took over a team where players have FA in the 2014 column, shouldn't they already be removed from my roster?
4  If I know I have 4 players that are all reaching their final year of ARB next year, can I extend 2 early THIS year, then the other 2 next year?
5  Is there an easy way to see rank of a player on FANTRAX other than searching for all Corner Infielders then counting where your guy falls out?
6.  Clarify that this process from the constitution is correct: gather list of all players on your roster that are eligible for extension (depending on what the answer to question 1 and 2 above), Do FANTRAX search for all players at that position, for each player figure out where he ranked in 2012 AND 2013.  Ensure he was in the 85th percentile during either one of those years, Now he is eligible for extension.  For each player?
7  When you extend a guy whose value says ARB, Do you just follow these rules:

The minimum salary for a player on the 40-man reserve roster is $400,000. A player in their
second year of their rookie contract receives 110% of the league minimum salary and a player
in their third year receives 120% of the league minimum. Players in their fourth to sixth year of
AFB service time receive their MLB salary from the previous year.
If so, who is calculating all these ARB guys against my budget and cap?  I've got a metric butt-ton of ARB guys, why not just plug in the numbers into the rosters instead of having 5 ARBs for the next 5 years?
8  When the constitution says
CONTRACT EXTENSIONS
5. Sort the salaries of the free agent signings from the past 3 years. If there have been less than
3 off-seasons in the League, use as many as available. Find the salary with the same percentile
rank as the player's percentile rank as fantasy points. This will be done automatically via a
spreadsheet. The salary will be uniform throughout the duration of the contract.
Is it referring to this Google Doc:
 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AgJNRgyntNO1dHNrUS13aU1ibmFyUDg4YXZuaXIwTkE&single=true&gid=2&output=html
If so, why does the percentile go all the way down to 70 if only players at the 85th percentile
and higher may be extended?
9  Whoever owned this team before me thought it was a great idea to sign Rick Ankiel for multiple years at $5mil a year.  If I outright drop him, am I on the hook for his $5mil a year for all future years?  Anyway I can outright drop him, have him clear waivers, then get him back for cheap (see question 11)?
10  As players are drafted, which roster are they placed on?
11  Explain in more detail the waiver process here
Waivers
Unconditional Release Waivers
If a player is placed on Unconditional Release Waivers, any other organization may choose to
claim him. If claimed, the new team will inherit the player’s contract in its entirety. If no team
claims him, he will become a free agent and the remainder of the contract will be paid in full by
the waiving organization. Other organizations have 48 hours to make a claim.
Irrevocable Outright Waivers
A team that wishes to remove a player from the 40-man roster and place him in the minor
league system first needs to place him on irrevocable outright waivers. The team may not pull
him back if another team claims the player. Other organizations have 48 hours to make a claim.
If the organization does not specify the type of waivers, this is the default.
Are any of these available to the owner that wants to drop
12 I noticed some owners have posted their moves as "We will offer ARB to *liist of 20 players*"  (specifically looking at :BAL:).  They did this for players that are under ARB for multiple years (Chris Tillman, Jake Arrieta) into the future and did it for veterans that were listed as FA (Koji Uehara).   What affect is this having on those players?
13 What is the strategy of just dropping players via Irrevocable Outright Waivers?  Why not just designate for assignment?  For example, why would you bypass a Carl Crawford trade and get nothing in return:
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=114772.msg624038#msg624038

Basically, there are lots of unknowns here even with a constitution.  I'm sure I'll be one of those smartaleck managers who says stuff like "It's in the constitution" but until some of us get through the first offseason, there's plenty of knowledge gaps that the more senior owners are taking advantage of hoping the noobs don't catch on for the first season or two.

Any help is appreciated and MAD props to the commissioner who have to track all of this shieza...
 :iatp:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:12:02 PM by haseloff »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 12:37:18 AM »
No offense but "it's in the constitution" is horrible advice for people who are new managers in this league (which is about half the league).  I've searched the threads and there is no plain language walk through.

1.  Do we extend players where FA shows up in 2014 column?  As in, if we don't they'll become a FA?

2  Or do we extend them in the last year of their ARB? (as in during the next offseason or this one?

Yes, in the constitution.

GM's may extend the contracts of players in the final year of team control. Only two extensions
may be made per off-season. Extensions can be between 1 and 5 years long.

Contract extension offers must be made between the end of the League playoffs and 12pm ET on the Friday prior to Thanksgiving.

3  I just took over a team where players have FA in the 2014 column, shouldn't they already be removed from my roster?

It takes a lot of time to remove the players from each team, I'm sure it'll be done before free agency begins.

4  If I know I have 4 players that are all reaching their final year of ARB next year, can I extend 2 early THIS year, then the other 2 next year?

Only two per year, you can't extend someone early.

5  Is there an easy way to see rank of a player on FANTRAX other than searching for all Corner Infielders then counting where your guy falls out?

You don't have to count it, they have a number next to them if you search all available by position.  And no.

6.  Clarify that this process from the constitution is correct: gather list of all players on your roster that are eligible for extension (depending on what the answer to question 1 and 2 above), Do FANTRAX search for all players at that position, for each player figure out where he ranked in 2012 AND 2013.  Ensure he was in the 85th percentile during either one of those years, Now he is eligible for extension.  For each player?

I believe it's 75th percentile.  Which ever percentile is highest from both years is the one you would extend him with.

7  When you extend a guy whose value says ARB, Do you just follow these rules:
 If so, who is calculating all these ARB guys against my budget and cap?  I've got a metric butt-ton of ARB guys, why not just plug in the numbers into the rosters instead of having 5 ARBs for the next 5 years?

ARB is only set for years 1-3.  It varies for years 4-6.  It's in the constitution.

8  When the constitution saysIs it referring to this Google Doc:
 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AgJNRgyntNO1dHNrUS13aU1ibmFyUDg4YXZuaXIwTkE&single=true&gid=2&output=html
If so, why does the percentile go all the way down to 70 if only players at the 85th percentile
and higher may be extended?

It's 75%.  I imagine one day may we'll drop lower to 70% and in that case having that information already makes it possible to do that.

9  Whoever owned this team before me thought it was a great idea to sign Rick Ankiel for multiple years at $5mil a year.  If I outright drop him, am I on the hook for his $5mil a year for all future years?  Anyway I can outright drop him, have him clear waivers, then get him back for cheap (see question 11)?

No, salaries are guaranteed.  There are no buyouts.  You are on the hook for his salary if you drop him.

10  As players are drafted, which roster are they placed on?

After the draft you will assign your draftees to whichever level you want. 

11  Explain in more detail the waiver process hereAre any of these available to the owner that wants to drop
12 I noticed some owners have posted their moves as "We will offer ARB to *liist of 20 players*"  (specifically looking at :BAL:).  They did this for players that are under ARB for multiple years (Chris Tillman, Jake Arrieta) into the future and did it for veterans that were listed as FA (Koji Uehara).   What affect is this having on those players?

If you choose not to offer ARB to a player like Tillman then he's going to be cut.  It's another way to release a player.  He's just confirming he'll offer ARB to these players.  Uehara he probably just made a mistake on if he's listed as an FA.

13 What is the strategy of just dropping players via Irrevocable Outright Waivers?  Why not just designate for assignment?  For example, why would you bypass a Carl Crawford trade and get nothing in return:
http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=114772.msg624038#msg624038

He probably couldn't get anything of value for Crawford.  He can't designate him to assignment without exposing him to waivers since he's already maxed out his minor league eligibility. 

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
    • View Profile
Some questions
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 05:28:38 AM »

Really?  I am a new owner who has been here just over a month.  The constitution defines the rules this league uses. What better source for rules questions than the rule book.  That answer was also up for over a week, if anyone else thought it wasn't a good answer it would've had another answer.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

haseloff

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
JSS, like I said "no offense".

The confusion comes when people do things which muddle the rules (for example the the Orioles giving ARB to people that aren't eligible).  Also my question wasn't answered.  If there's an FA in the 2014 column, are they FA this year or at the end of this year?

That answer was also up for over a week, if anyone else thought it wasn't a good answer it would've had another answer.

I'm not convinced this isn't a dead league just yet.  I'd love to see 30 active GMs in a league like this though...
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline ProFSL

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 02:29:48 PM »
The amount of involvement in some of the strategic discussions of this league and the fact that it is now led by a staff member ensure the league is not dead.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Have questions or an issue with the site? Post a new ticket at the HelpDesk!

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Mt_Crushmore: im nfl
    April 25, 2024, 04:47:43 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Understood BAB
    April 25, 2024, 05:00:25 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Always NFL Brian
    April 25, 2024, 05:00:36 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yepp
    April 25, 2024, 05:06:57 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Can't wait to see the madness
    April 25, 2024, 05:10:27 PM
  • Daddy: God im sooooooo busy today. Im trying to get errands and profsl done before the draft :doh:
    April 25, 2024, 06:05:24 PM
  • Daddy: There is no way but im gonna keep at it.
    April 25, 2024, 06:06:27 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: as long as u r here for draft
    April 25, 2024, 06:08:49 PM
  • janesvilleaces: Go pack go
    April 25, 2024, 07:26:45 PM
  • Daddy: I thought i had converted you to a Ram fan by now @janes (insert eye emoji)
    April 25, 2024, 07:35:47 PM
  • Braves155: Sup guys
    April 25, 2024, 07:35:57 PM
  • Daddy: NFL DRAFT second only to the NFL LIVE Draft in entertainment!
    April 25, 2024, 08:52:12 PM
  • Daddy: 8/1/24 8PM Change your NFL LIVE teams future with these guys right here!
    April 25, 2024, 08:52:53 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Plan on it.
    April 25, 2024, 09:25:23 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Interesting developments so far. If you need a QB in NFL Live. Plenty of them have 1st round pedigree
    April 25, 2024, 10:53:26 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE Draft Room [link] current picks, 2024 preview & history.
    April 25, 2024, 11:06:17 PM
  • Braves155: Daddy, what are your thoughts on the NFL Draft thus far?
    April 25, 2024, 11:34:39 PM
  • Braves155: Or anyone, what ya think?
    April 25, 2024, 11:35:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Vegeta100 PM
    April 25, 2024, 11:40:43 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of surprised tonight as expected. Offensive heavy. 6 QBs in the 1st. 7 WRs. Fun night
    Yesterday at 12:52:03 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of NFL Live implications. Cant wait to see it unfold. On to night 2
    Yesterday at 12:52:28 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i wish we took cooper Frick
    Yesterday at 01:05:02 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: we coulda waited on pearsall
    Yesterday at 01:05:12 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: as much as i do like him a bit cuz he was dceent at ASU and solid at UF
    Yesterday at 01:05:26 AM
  • Daddy: Who is cooper Frick? What position he play
    Yesterday at 02:57:55 AM
  • Brent: BAB, yeah, Cooper is a beast.
    Yesterday at 07:21:11 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy I was just expressing my displeasure that we passed on cooper dejean. I strongly felt cb was a bigger need or ol than wr
    Yesterday at 10:28:14 AM
  • Daddy: I get it
    Yesterday at 10:39:43 AM
  • Daddy: I dont understand everything i saw last night. The biggest winner to me was Gardner Minshew
    Yesterday at 10:40:41 AM
  • Daddy: Raiders, Atlanta both should have traded back if they were gonna do what they did. IMO
    Yesterday at 10:41:23 AM
  • Daddy: Atlanta could have fleeced Minny and let them draft JJ #6 then still get Penix before Denver/LV
    Yesterday at 10:42:24 AM
  • Daddy: Its like Brian is running the Raiders.
    Yesterday at 10:43:02 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: ya know what speaking of gardener I did trade for him this off-season
    Yesterday at 10:46:49 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: I honestly wouldn't have minded pearsall but I saw him as a Rd 2 target not Rd 1. Great to see another former alumni join the niners.
    Yesterday at 10:48:21 AM
  • Daddy: 49ers made a smart pick IMO.
    Yesterday at 02:25:27 PM
  • Daddy: Their WRs need contracts and Deebo has been used a lot for a guy his size already.
    Yesterday at 02:26:18 PM
  • Daddy: They cant and wont keep them all beyond this year.
    Yesterday at 02:27:17 PM
  • Daddy: Plenty of Defense left. Only 9 guys on D got drafted last night. NONE of them will be 1st rd picks in LIVE. In fact i dont think a D player gets drafted at all in LIVE till round 3.
    Yesterday at 02:29:01 PM
  • Daddy: If you want a S or CB @BAB your Niners will get one.
    Yesterday at 02:30:45 PM
  • Daddy: If anyone questions the potency or quality of Colorado marijuana, i got two words for you. Bo Nix
    Yesterday at 02:32:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: lets see what we do today
    Yesterday at 06:15:44 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of great players remaining on the board
    Yesterday at 06:48:05 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Prospects rather
    Yesterday at 06:48:13 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Per my own eval at least
    Yesterday at 06:48:25 PM
  • Daddy: There are still +220 picks to be made. So. Yeah.
    Yesterday at 07:35:23 PM
  • Daddy: If you got ANY extra loot laying around. Pick #33 will definitely be a WR. Probably got to wager $5 to win $1 by now but the line was -400 last i looked.
    Yesterday at 07:36:50 PM
  • Daddy: #33 + WR = $$$
    Yesterday at 07:37:36 PM
  • Daddy: My guess Keon Coleman. I put it out there. Now im going to drink my crown and smoke a cigar. Rounds 2 & 3 begins in 10 minutes.
    Yesterday at 07:49:11 PM
  • Daddy: Damn im good
    Yesterday at 08:18:55 PM
  • Daddy: Only 12 offensive players were drafted in Round 2. All of them 1st rd NFL LIVE picks.
    Yesterday at 10:31:11 PM