Author Topic: New Flash: Discussion of 60 Day No Trade Referendum  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Flash

• *ProFSL Staff
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 319
    • :SFO:
    • :GS:
    • :SJ:
    • :California:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • :SF:
    • View Profile
New Flash: Discussion of 60 Day No Trade Referendum
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:03:48 AM »
GMs,

As I travel to various sites and eateries in London, Rome, Lucca, and Florence, I have been contemplating the following on various trains and planes.  Please forgive the length of this post, but I see no other way to address the issue without a full explanation—so please read, contemplate, and respond.

I am posting this announcement to solicit the support of 7 other GMs to co-sponsor a referendum to abolish, or change, the present 60 day no trade rule that is currently in place.  As a backdrop, the stated goal of Franchise GM is to mirror MLB as much as possible, while maintaining some unique qualities that distinguishes FGM from other fantasy baseball leagues.  Over the years we have initiated some changes to adapt with the ever changing landscape of MLB, while maintaining the integrity of our league as conceived.  As a result, from my vantage point, I believe we have a very strong and viable league.

The 60 day rule has been a part of FGM from its inception, but, it would seem, that the time has come to think about implementing a change to facilitate a better fantasy experience.  During the course of our existence, we have experienced several changes in leadership, but as stated, throughout it all, we have maintained the integrity established by the founder of the league.  With that, we have also come to understand that change is not something to fear, it is sometimes a necessity required by the ever changing landscape of our league.  From my perspective, we have grown stronger as a league by dealing with a variety of issues in a positive and direct way.  Through league wide communication and involvement, we have found amicable solutions to trade approval issues, MiLB roster use, compensation for Type A free agents, and streamlined our governing rules so they can be more easily referenced.

So, I believe the time has come to discuss the ramifications of our 60 day rule regarding signed free agents.  As a league moderator, I am seeking league wide input that goes beyond my recent post regarding a “tweaking of the rule”.  From my perspective, to preserve the integrity of our league, and for the benefit of all, the time has come for the subject to be fully discussed.  As it stands, here is how the rule is written (with my recent request to tweak the rule):

Item AX B(1)-5.0
Free Agent signings cannot be traded until 60 days after they have signed.  This date will be shown per each player in the official rosters section.  In addition to our 60-day NTC rule, any players signed to extensions as well as FA contracts in the offseason cannot be traded until June 1st the following year.”

In the recent replies to my post regarding our 60 day, no trade rule, there were no objections to tweaking the rule to remove the June 1st provision for off-season free agent acquisitions.  However, within the posted responses, there were some inquiries regarding the merits of the rule—with the central issue being whether it was necessary, in light of the fact,  that there is currently no such provision in MLB.  There was one response alluding to maybe having a 30 day rule, with a concern related to flipping a newly acquired free agent right away, but even there,  it should be pointed out that trading players is a fluid process in MLB, as evidenced by the multitude of trades the MLB Seattle Mariners completed during the 2017 offseason (eleven if I recall correctly).

So, although I previously posted that this issue would be revisited after the 2018 season, I have come to believe that maybe it’s time to see if there is enough interest in discussing the issue now.  We currently have the following provision in our governing rules to institute change through a league wide referendum, with no regard to timing or implementation.  Last season, through a referendum, we changed our compensation rules to align our league operations with the new MLB CBA just after its approval, and implemented it in accordance with the articles of the newly adopted CBA. In this instance, however, we have no such guidelines regarding implementation other than what we choose to do.  Here is the rule we have regarding a referendum:

“8.) Any GM in the league may propose a general referendum to be considered by the entire league if at least eight (8) member co-sponsor the referendum.  A referendum must receive at least 16 votes to be implemented—this would be a simple majority of 15 + 1.”

So, my intent here, is two fold:
1:  To gauge the sentiment of the league regarding our present 60 day, no trade rule; and
2:  To see if there are seven other GMs who wish to join me in support of a referendum to do one of the following:
      A) Keep the rule as written (with the June 1st provision deleted);
      B) Adjust the rule to 30 days; or
      C) Abolish the rule in its entirety and mirror MLB.

If there is enough support for a referendum, then it would be presented to league members for a vote as outlined above.

Please post your views so that we can know how to proceed as a league.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 2021 FGM World Series Champion - :SF:
🏆 2017 WCB2 World Series Champion - :SD:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Mt West Champion :UNLV:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Big 10 Champion -  :Nebraska:
🏆 2021 BSN Football Pac-12 Champion :California:

Offline papps

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 9
    • :PHI-NFL:
    • :PHI-NBA:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PHI:
    • View Profile
Re: New Flash: Discussion of 60 Day No Trade Referendum
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 10:34:35 AM »
First off Flash, you sound like you are on a dream vacation.  I am extremely jealous.  Hope you are enjoying yourself!!  :thumbsup:

I would like to show my support of the referendum to take a look at the 60 day real and come to a league wide consensus on what we can do to improve.  I have been very vocal the last couple years in wanting more league activity and I think this is a good thing for a lot of new members to come in and voice their opinions on how our league can be run in the future. 

I don't see the 60 day rule as something helps our league, especially in the off-season.  I don't see harm in signing a free agent and being able to trade him right away.  If a team is willing to give up fair market value for any player I believe it doesn't matter when you acquire him.  I believe this should go for extensions as well.  If I extend a player he still should be able to be traded at any time. 

I'm really happy Flash decided to have a conversation now about this.  With the season about to start I think this is a great way to get new members involved in the league discussion, no matter what we decide to do.  No opinion is a bad opinion.  Leadership has done a great job in the last few years in listening to the league and implementing new rules they feel will be best.  Hopefully lots of GMs get involved here and with their input and we come up with a possible tweak that make sense. 

Thanks again Flash for opening up the forum for conversation.  :toth:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
🏆 - 2021 NFL Live Champion :TB-NFL:
🏆 - 2020 Bush League Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 Franchise GM Champion :PHI:
🏆 - 2018 The League Champion :PIT-NFL:
🏆 - 2016 Moneyball II Champion :BOS:
🏆 - 2010 Agents vs GMs Champion :PHI:

Offline Paul S.

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:59:49 AM »
I believe the 60 day rule is necessary for signings and extensions to prevent large market teams from signing players and immediately trading them.  The June 1st date should be eliminated in both cases as it serves no useful purpose.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:37:45 PM »
I support either getting rid of it, or just moving it to 60 days, and eliminate the June 1st date.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline dedreger

• All-Star
    • :NYR:
    • :Illinois:
    • :BVB:
    • :WAS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 05:27:33 PM »
I support either getting rid of it, or just moving it to 60 days, and eliminate the June 1st date.

I feel the same.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Sea_Max

• Rookie
    • :SEA-NFL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:19:24 PM »
Cleveland would support any of the proposals but especially (C):   Abolish the rule in its entirety and mirror MLB.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
BUSH LEAGUE: Seattle Mariners
FGM: Cleveland Indians

Offline JimmySmithers

• Rookie
    • :GB:
    • :FloridaState:
    • :WH:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 03:20:44 PM »
Cleveland would support any of the proposals but especially (C):   Abolish the rule in its entirety and mirror MLB.

I fully agree
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline kidd5jersey

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 08:31:03 PM »
I think 60day rule makes teams compete. So often, people completely punt and punt early disrupting the flow of things. I also see sign and trades an issue. Additionally, it gives big market clubs even more power because they can sign, retain, and trade to help teams with cap problems. I like the 60day rule.

Kevin TB
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline BHows

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :CIN-NFL:
    • :Kentucky:
    • :CIN:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:29 PM »
I have no problem getting rid of the June 1 rule but I think we need to keep 60 day rule on Free Agents
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2022 WCB2 Champions

Offline jpmanchester

• All-Star
    • :SFO:
    • :LAL:
    • :LAG:
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »
I'd be for removing the June 1st rule, but don't really care on the 60 day rule. Could go either way on that one. I think it might make sense to remove the 60 day rule for in season FA signings since needs change quicker. But leave the 60 day rule for off-season FA signings to avoid hasty decisions while the lengthy FA process takes place.

Things change rather quickly in FA too depending how bidding goes so I could see removing it there too. Although it seems like the intention is for a more deliberate FA market in FGM, so that may be a good reason to leave it in place in the off-season.

Either way though, the in season 60 day rule on FAs seems unnecessary.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • dbreer23: Mucho respecto!
    April 17, 2024, 03:31:00 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for any deals
    April 17, 2024, 06:58:06 PM
  • Daddy: Michael Porter Jr.'s brother Jontay.... Banned for life by NBA for gambling.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:24 PM
  • Daddy: He bet on his own performance (under) and his team to lose games.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: good riddance
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:11 PM
  • dbreer23: and I'm not even a NBA fan
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:20 PM
  • Daddy: Gambling is as bad an addiction as there is.  This guy comes from money, has a brother thats uber rich, and he himself was in the NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 11:00:36 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS looking very tough for one team :ANA: 155.05 v 236.25 :NYR: with only today's games left to plan. :judge: [link]
    April 18, 2024, 10:44:33 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any deals
    April 18, 2024, 06:30:53 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here early for talks.
    April 19, 2024, 09:14:02 AM
  • Rob: SlackJack and his Arizona Coyotes are DNHL Champs for the 2nd year in a row.  Congrats!!  [link]
    April 19, 2024, 09:37:43 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Congrats to the 2024 FNHL NYR on winning it all!
    April 19, 2024, 02:23:56 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco: FNHL FINALS OFFICIAL SCORE :ANA: ANH 160.15 v 247.3 :NYR: NYR
    April 19, 2024, 02:25:02 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Well done, FNHL's CaliHkyGuy [link] :winner:
    April 19, 2024, 02:37:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talsk'
    April 19, 2024, 04:11:46 PM
  • STLBlues91: talks**
    April 19, 2024, 04:11:51 PM
  • Daddy: Ever since the Academy Awards a couple years back, ive been working on my slap technique.
    April 19, 2024, 10:21:13 PM
  • Daddy: Being a Philadelphia native, Will Smith has set the bar very high for us and its not like you can just slap random folk for practice.
    April 19, 2024, 10:22:18 PM
  • Braves155: Yo, who around rn?
    April 20, 2024, 10:35:56 AM
  • Rhino7: They do have slap fighting you could try
    April 20, 2024, 12:51:07 PM
  • Daddy: Damn they got slap fighting???
    April 20, 2024, 01:14:10 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Oh yeah they do. It's brutal.
    April 20, 2024, 04:02:39 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Usually on PPV. If you get into that try English phone booth fighting!!!
    April 20, 2024, 04:03:47 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Yup, UFC owned if im not mistaken. They handing out CTE for breakfast over there
    April 20, 2024, 07:18:25 PM
  • Daddy: Will Smith would be Drago in that sport.
    April 20, 2024, 07:58:15 PM
  • Daddy: I would be Clubber Lang
    April 20, 2024, 08:00:04 PM
  • Daddy: @Jwalkerjr88 i bet you are itching to trade or build something right now. Too bad you hate baseball. MLB LIVE be jumping when NFL LIVE rests (not that it rests much but still) :) .
    April 21, 2024, 02:00:29 AM
  • Jon: daddy, your the only game in town now for CFB on the board.  I removed Fansville as i decided i am not giving any more money to Fantrax for premium settings.  My leagues are free
    April 21, 2024, 11:32:55 AM
  • Braves155: MLB LIVE :NYY: has OF for trade looking for INF/pitching
    April 21, 2024, 01:51:13 PM
  • Daddy: Its always better for the site to have at least 2 leagues for each sport. However @Jon i understand the decision.
    April 21, 2024, 01:53:02 PM
  • Daddy: Fantrax fees do get expensive. Its like $110-$120 per league per year and when its all out of your own pocket and you do most of the work, its hard to find value in that.
    April 21, 2024, 01:55:06 PM
  • Daddy: Its like i been gone for a month all these PMs. Lordy! I hope its some trade talk in there.
    April 22, 2024, 11:04:36 AM
  • Daddy: Nope, nobody wants my junk players. It was all admin.
    April 22, 2024, 11:48:14 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahaha
    April 22, 2024, 04:10:00 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: 0 messages here.
    April 22, 2024, 08:27:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Mlb live indians looking to move p woo suk go
    April 23, 2024, 05:51:59 PM
  • Daddy: What is it the Indians are offering exactly, sounds like a private matter.
    April 23, 2024, 07:28:24 PM
  • Daddy: @BAB see MLB LIVE current bidding. (Pagan) :toth:
    Yesterday at 12:29:18 AM
  • Daddy: NFL DRAFT TONIGHT ROUND ONE IN PRIME TIME.
    Yesterday at 12:07:54 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: your a day early Daddy
    Yesterday at 12:51:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: ist tomorrow
    Yesterday at 12:52:07 PM
  • Daddy: :doh: FML
    Yesterday at 01:05:48 PM
  • indiansnation: Good evening all
    Yesterday at 04:45:28 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Trey hendrickson and tee higgins both request trades day before the draft. Tomorrow will bring fireworks
    Yesterday at 07:50:56 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Thurs kickoff starts at 1pm nfl network
    Yesterday at 08:32:25 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yepp
    Yesterday at 08:40:50 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: This mock draft on espn is interesting tonight.
    Yesterday at 09:37:27 PM
  • Alpha5: Why does Hendrickson want out?
    Yesterday at 11:20:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Money alpha
    Yesterday at 11:37:29 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: He and like Higgins wants to get paid and have a better secure contract
    Yesterday at 11:37:49 PM