Dynasty NHL

Author Topic: Power Rankings: Halfway to Disappointment  (Read 1157 times)

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
Power Rankings: Halfway to Disappointment
« on: January 10, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
The point spreads are widening as the cream rises to the top and the not-cream burns at the bottom. 

Still nearly 200 points between 1st and 2nd; then 239 points between 2nd and 3rd-  Special Cup Group

1. Vancouver Canucks      (22-4)  previously 1st -  8 players scoring 3 points a game or above with 4 of those scoring closer to 4 a game.  Just yikes.  That doesn't include goalies, who 3 of the 4 get regular playing time and the 4th is a strong backup.  This team is unbeatable (according to preseason rankings).  Hillary Clinton level unbeatable (according to every pre-vote poll).  They are on a bit of a backslide going 3-3 the last three weeks, but I assume Capn is betting against the large spread on his games to pay off some previously ill advised investments (beanie babies).  He'll bounce back and get to destroying teams again.

2. St. Louis Blues        (21-3)    previously 4th -  While the Canucks were dominating the league by scoring the most points the Blues are dominating the league by scoring the 2nd most points and having by far the easiest schedule with the lowest points against.  That combination has them in 1st place and 12-2 since the last power rankings.  They have the most 200 point weeks in the league with 4 (next highest has 2).  Tarasenko and a trio of goalies is the tip of this phalanx.  So when Shooter and Vince Vaughn ask if you want to play "just the tip.  just for a second".  Don't.  Because it is deadly.  Each for different reasons. 

200 points between 3 and 7 -  Star Cup Group 
3. Buffalo Sabres           (18-8)  previously 2nd -  I don't have time to create a PDO of the Sabres, but I still feel there is a regression back to the mean coming on.  Johnson is starting to split starts with Elliot.  Bobrovsky finally lost a game, his first since like November.  Talbot has played in 37 out of 42 games; on pace for 72 starts. He is either going to breakdown with injuries or fatigue.  Grabner, Skinner and Marchessault have cooled off.  With all that though the Sabres are still a great team.  Eichel, Ristolainen and O'Reilly have really stepped up while others have faded.  Just like a prostate exam, you don't want to see the Sabres on your schedule.

4. Carolina Hurricanes          (17-9)  previously 7th -  My season has really turned around going 14-2 since the last power rankings.  Brent Burns is a legitimate monster in the likes of a Kraken or Cthulhu.  He very well might be the next thing that Godzilla has to protect Japan from.  Patrick Maroon is the latest evidence to suggest even if you are an average NHL talent, you can score a bunch of goals playing with a world class center.  Downsides:  Kopitar is scoring goals at the same pace of when there is a full moon; team can't stay healthy; Andrew Hammond continues to find ways to be our leagues biggest draft bust by getting injured in the very first game he got to start after being recalled from the AHL.   

5. Edmonton Oilers      (18-8) previously 6th -  Frederik Andersen has invented a new goaltending style I like to call "fear-tending".  He knows he is going to face 35+ shots a night, 2-3 breakaways, 3-5 oddman rushes, and then just so many other quality scoring chances I can see him having low-grade PTSD.  Doing the splits in his sleep, screaming "Please backcheck, eh!!" while curled in the fetal position, waking up drenched in sweat. 

6. Colorado Avs   (18-8) previously 9th -  Who is Viktor Arvidsson?  Will Ekblad return to his point scoring ways?  How long can Crosby keep this goal scoring pace going?  Will Jagr actually pass Gretzky in points by playing for another 20 years (just needs to average 50 points a year)?  Will the Red Wings realize they have a better chance to win with just putting another skater out there to roam around then putting Mrazek between the pipes?  These questions and more will be answered by the next power rankings.  Also Bo Horvat has been really really good the past 2 months. 

7. Boston Bruins    (19-7)  previously 3rd -  Something about being a selke level center and having just a Crap year is occurring this season.  Toews is following suit with Kopitar and Bergeron.  We are fast approaching being able to say "well Towes is no Cam Atkinson, Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund, etc".  Maybe the NHL has changed and passed these old timers behind.  Much like having sex in a place other than my bed has passed me by.  Everywhere else is just uncomfortable and will aggravate my bad knees.

100 points below 7, but 100 points above 9 -  Lonely Island Group 
8. Los Angeles Kings      (18-8) previously 5th -  It is official.  Eric Staal was the best FA signing by far.  These Kings have hit some injury troubles in recent times, so they will most certainly scoot up the rankings as Matt Murray, Toffoli and Quick come back to prominence.  Until then we all need to keep beating them and keep them down just like Cinderella's sisters did to her.  The Kings must never become the prettiest at the ball.

200 points between 9 to 11 -  Flower Cup Group 
9. Philadelphia Flyers   (15-11) previously 10th -  Evgeni Malkin is having a tremendous season and it is as close to blasphemy to see him on the Flyers team as it would be to see the Pope wearing a burka.  I guess we'd never know if it was the pope under there, but still.  Pavelski, Malkin, Pacioretty are carrying this team.  Pacioretty has 14 goals in his last 17 games.  Malkin and Pavelski are averaging over 4 points a game this season. And yet here the Flyers are.  Clinging to a playoff spot.  Halak getting waived and Bishop being garbage have really hurt.  Halak won't play again this year and unless Bishop gets traded will probably keep being garbage. 

10. Detroit Red Wings   (17-9) previously 8th -  I never saw that movie about the guy who walked a tight rope from 2 skyscrapers, but that is how the Red Wings are playing this season.  Every week is a 2 point victory or a 2 point loss.  A goal here or there has won their week most times.  Sam Gagner and Mikael Granlund are having great years.  Zetterberg has being very slightly above average.  I still feel like there is some untapped potential here with Nyquist, Duclair, and Steve Mason can play better, while Pickard is getting more starts and Anderson will be back at some point.  All in all this team is boringly good like a WWII documentary. 

11. Anaheim Ducks      (15-11) previously 11th -  They better start winning games or the playoffs and former championships will seem like a mirage.  Plus they will lose the coveted #1 team in the league ranking, which is the real prize.  Benn will be coming back from the IR and Greiss is the de facto #1 for the Islanders now, so the will make it real interesting the next half of the season.    Patrice Bergeron has as many points as guys like Jay Beagle, Jesper Fast, the constantly over rated hockey tough Dustin Brown.  I think playing with Crosby in the World Cup just broke his will to play with lesser teammates.  It is like looking at the sun and being blinded by its beauty (and ultraviolet rays).   

Playoff Bubble - Mushroom Cup Group
12. Toronto Maple Leafs   (12-14) previously 12th -  Austin Mathews

13. Chicago Blackhawks   (12-14) previously 13th -  Philip di Giuseppe

Potential Trade Deadline Monkey Bread - They are going to get torn apart
14. Washington Capitals   (7-19) - 
15. Tampa Bay Lightning   (6-20)  -
16. Pittsburgh Penguins   (7-19)  -
17. Calgary Flames           (6-20) -
18. Montreal Canadiens       (4-22) -
19. Arizona Coyotes           (3-23) -
20. New York Rangers    (3-23) -
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :Blank:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :Blank:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
Re: Power Rankings: Halfway to Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:10:47 PM »
I love these reports. Always a good read!

I can say though, I'm scared of the likes of St.Louis, Buffalo, Carolina. All have very strong teams and Buffalo has beat me twice this year.

It really comes down to who gets hot come playoff time and puts up a bunch of goals. I think Grabner came to life vs. me and had like 6-7 points in a week after scoring that many in the previous 6-7 weeks haha.

Just hoping to be healthy, that's really all you can wish for!

My favourite:

13. Chicago Blackhawks   (12-14) previously 13th -  Philip di Giuseppe

Haha, Anthony, you'll never live that one down!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tyler

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:26:06 PM »
Meh... Like.... Whatever....

In my mind this league folded last year after I won back - to - back Championships.... Yup... All is sunny over here
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:13:50 PM »
Quote from: Capn Cally link=topic=288871.msg1229469#msg1229469

My favourite:

13. Chicago Blackhawks   (12-14) previously 13th -  Philip di Giuseppe

Haha, Anthony, you'll never live that one down!

Motion to change my team name to the Philip di Giuseppe's and fully embrace it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:38:00 PM by Anthony »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »
Motion to change my team name to the Philip di Giuseppe's and fully embrace it.

I was going to say in response to Corey's comments about Toews... Anthony must have realized a decline was coming.  And you saved just enough in that trade to afford Di Giuseppe!!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »
Grigorenko has been fabulous for me too. I have great insight
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• League Moderator
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 03:39:34 PM »
Grigorenko has been fabulous for me too. I have great insight

I can't understand how Grigo isn't at least a 2.5 PPG player (fantasy-wise).  He has all the tools....
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :MIN-NHL:
    • :NorthDakotaState:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 10:52:42 AM »
It appears that the playoff race is going to be very anticlimactic this year. Last year there were 4 teams that were fighting for the final two spots. This year it looks like the only real battle will be between Philly and Anaheim for the last playoff spot. Chicago and Toronto both look like they might go 0-2 this week and be out of the playoff race.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 01:50:01 PM »
It appears that the playoff race is going to be very anticlimactic this year. Last year there were 4 teams that were fighting for the final two spots. This year it looks like the only real battle will be between Philly and Anaheim for the last playoff spot. Chicago and Toronto both look like they might go 0-2 this week and be out of the playoff race.

There will be a heck of a struggle to get a 1st round bye though. Many teams bundled up in that 3-10 seed area.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Eric

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 12:59:55 AM »
Hey!!!!! Im not last :)
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Grandpa Brian
    April 13, 2024, 11:07:15 PM
  • indiansnation: No thanks daddy im looking to take your team out. I want to make my @@@ch
    April 13, 2024, 11:15:39 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking for one moe big bat and a couple of starting pitching
    April 13, 2024, 11:16:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Back at u bigfry
    April 13, 2024, 11:24:04 PM
  • Daddy: Im preparing for Hockey domination. :)
    April 14, 2024, 12:06:09 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry important pm read the latest pm i sent u
    April 14, 2024, 12:14:42 AM
  • indiansnation: Dad yea u going down in that league also nhl live u got no chance in any live leagues
    April 14, 2024, 12:15:32 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy im takening u out
    April 14, 2024, 12:15:47 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm trade offer sent
    April 14, 2024, 12:36:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry back at u
    April 14, 2024, 12:57:58 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry trade posted everything u mentioned to me
    April 14, 2024, 01:27:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Stlouis blues 91 pm back at u
    April 14, 2024, 01:34:40 AM
  • indiansnation: Debreer23 pm
    April 14, 2024, 01:37:22 AM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    April 14, 2024, 02:36:03 AM
  • Daddy: Geezus that MLB board is lit up. Lets clean that up a bit.
    April 14, 2024, 01:24:20 PM
  • Daddy: Great job Gary, thank you.
    April 14, 2024, 01:27:52 PM
  • janesvilleaces: Daddy pm
    April 14, 2024, 03:31:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    April 14, 2024, 04:13:22 PM
  • Alpha5: The nada
    April 14, 2024, 04:21:06 PM
  • Alpha5: De nothing
    April 14, 2024, 04:21:12 PM
  • Alpha5: It's nada
    April 14, 2024, 04:28:39 PM
  • dbreer23: Clear as mierda
    April 14, 2024, 04:39:57 PM
  • Daddy: Back @janes
    April 14, 2024, 05:00:16 PM
  • Rhino7: If you’re in CCD and plan to return next season, make sure to check-in asap before it’s too late! Notices have been made and soon some of you could get replaced. Only takes a moment to get it done. [link]
    April 14, 2024, 06:08:14 PM
  • STLBlues91: Just got home so replying to all messages now
    April 14, 2024, 08:37:13 PM
  • jimw: CCD championship ended one week ago and we are pressured to decide right away if we are coming back or we lose our team?
    April 14, 2024, 08:39:48 PM
  • Rhino7: It’s a dynasty league so we assume everyone plans to return. This is the time for those who definitely don’t plan to return to say so that way we know ahead of time we have to find replacements. Nobody is pressuring you, it’s more of a courtesy to the LM who do this for nothing so they can make a game plan for next season.
    April 14, 2024, 11:13:17 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS scoring update after 1 week with 4 days to go.  :ANA: Ducks 112.05 v 149.85 :NYR: Rangers [link] :taco:
    April 14, 2024, 11:51:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live looking to trade looking for a bat or 2 and starting pitching.
    Yesterday at 03:38:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    Yesterday at 05:43:06 PM
  • Daddy: Brian you are in 11 leagues? You are a true legend dude.
    Yesterday at 06:04:36 PM
  • Daddy: Sports Fan dynasty legend.
    Yesterday at 06:05:16 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I'm in 10
    Yesterday at 07:06:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: And active in all
    Yesterday at 07:06:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    Yesterday at 07:22:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 07:22:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day
    Yesterday at 07:27:08 PM
  • Daddy: Youre getting the full experience in that many leagues. There is always something to do.
    Yesterday at 07:33:19 PM
  • Daddy: Each league is different so makes you approach things differently.
    Yesterday at 07:33:43 PM
  • Jon: i have openings in SEC football 1st year league
    Yesterday at 07:54:15 PM
  • Jon: I am pretty sure that I am going to do away with the 64 team league as I can't justify paying the fee that Fantrax wants
    Yesterday at 07:54:44 PM
  • Jon: [link]
    Yesterday at 07:56:47 PM
  • Daddy: I pay about $500 in fantrax fees. I feel ya Jon.
    Yesterday at 08:09:00 PM
  • Daddy: Probably more if i added it all up. All that work + all that money = why very few do it. #Respect
    Yesterday at 08:11:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm
    Yesterday at 09:52:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w one last pm
    Today at 01:01:12 AM
  • indiansnation: Trade posted jim w
    Today at 01:02:15 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Two late night deals
    Today at 01:18:11 AM
  • Brent: Good morning guys.  Just a heads up, I am cutting back on leagues by a lot.  I'll message the commissioners which ones, but between work, school, fishing and family the thing that is going to get cut is fantasy sports.
    Today at 07:30:32 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL WELCOMES OUR NEWEST OWNER BRUISER :judge: BRUISER HAS COMPLETED PURCHASE OF THE ARIZONA/UTHA COYOTES FRANCHISE :PHO2: [link] :PHO2:
    Today at 11:37:48 AM