Author Topic: The Rookie Draft  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
Re: The Rookie Draft
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
If we do protect first round draft choices, we would have to do it in a few years or offer some sort of compensation to teams like me who have handed out my first rounders like candy for the next.

Right, it would have to happen effective 2019 - so that none of these picks have been traded.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :Blank:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 01:55:57 PM »
If we do protect first round draft choices, we would have to do it in a few years or offer some sort of compensation to teams like me who have handed out my first rounders like candy for the next.

Yes - Earliest would be the 2018 draft so not for a year and a half... Not many of those picks have been dealt, and the only 1st rounder that was traded, you actually have received!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »
I'm a big fan of protecting 1st round picks.  I've been screwed and benefited from it as the real life Canes have traded away and received 1st rounders and nothing sucks more than knowing I'll miss out on a top prospect because Jim Rutherford wanted to have all the Staal brothers on a team. 

Speaking of changes; this might not be the place, but since we are basing future salary cap limits partly on unspent cap in our league we should have a cap floor.  We lost 2 million for next year just as the NHL's cap is increasing almost entirely because the Coyotes are sitting on 40m.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
I'm a big fan of protecting 1st round picks.  I've been screwed and benefited from it as the real life Canes have traded away and received 1st rounders and nothing sucks more than knowing I'll miss out on a top prospect because Jim Rutherford wanted to have all the Staal brothers on a team. 

Speaking of changes; this might not be the place, but since we are basing future salary cap limits partly on unspent cap in our league we should have a cap floor.  We lost 2 million for next year just as the NHL's cap is increasing almost entirely because the Coyotes are sitting on 40m.

I feel like there's always going to be a team rebuilding and sitting on cap.  There has been every year so far.  But I am not opposed to a cap floor.  I just haven't thought through how to implement/enforce it. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 02:05:20 PM »
But on the other side of that, the real life Cane's are sitting on a ton of cap which lifted the NHL average quite a bit.  Not to the same relative amount, but enough to not make our system anomalous, this year at least.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
Yes - Earliest would be the 2018 draft so not for a year and a half... Not many of those picks have been dealt, and the only 1st rounder that was traded, you actually have received!

In that case let's start it next year! I knew I had two but I honestly didn't think I had mine anymore. Glad I do because I'm going to be BAD real soon.

If we did want to implement a protected first round pick sooner, I'm willing to work with you guys to get Philly his pick back and start it in 2018
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :MIN-NHL:
    • :NorthDakotaState:
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 03:34:41 PM »
The one thing that I like about the Draft Keepers is that it helps keep all teams stocked with prospects. Not to pick on anyone but Philadelphia and Anaheim have both recently traded away the majority of their supplemental draft picks but were still able to add some decent prospects thru draft keepers. I think that this rule helps keep all teams somewhat stocked and it will be less likely that a team is completely run into the ground.

I don't think that the system is completely fair to all the teams but like Rob I do like the wrinkle that it provides. I haven't been very fortunate as the blues since they have been a good team and have drafted pretty low in most drafts (They traded a first round pick away for Jay Freaking Bouwmeester!). I think the best Draft Keeper that I have so far is Robby Fabbri.

I think if we eliminated the draft keepers then our Supplemental draft would get deeper but this would just lead to more players being passed over in the draft and being signed as FA's during the year. Right now there are probably 1.5 draft keepers for each team which would be 45 each offseason. The supplemental draft allows us to select another 60 players each year which leaves us with roughly 100 players added each offseason. This will end up pushing more players to FA and prevent teams from acquiring young cheap productive players which every team needs to fill out their roster.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 05:29:59 PM »
I feel like there's always going to be a team rebuilding and sitting on cap.  There has been every year so far.  But I am not opposed to a cap floor.  I just haven't thought through how to implement/enforce it.

Maybe we don't have to have a real one, as I'm not a fan of making teams acquire players they don't want.  They could just sign any random free agent to a one year deal to get them to the cap floor.  That doesn't add anything to the league.  The NHL has the salary floor set to 16m below the cap.  Maybe we could just use that 16m for equation purposes and make that the largest free cap allowed when figuring it out.  Wonder where that would set our cap for next year???
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 05:41:23 PM »
The one thing that I like about the Draft Keepers is that it helps keep all teams stocked with prospects. Not to pick on anyone but Philadelphia and Anaheim have both recently traded away the majority of their supplemental draft picks but were still able to add some decent prospects thru draft keepers. I think that this rule helps keep all teams somewhat stocked and it will be less likely that a team is completely run into the ground.

My suggestion was that only the NHL 1st Rounders not be available for us.

Every team would still have the option of picking up 3 of their parent team's NHL draftees, drafted in round 2 through 7 in the NHL draft.
Some teams might have three 2nd rounders, others might have a 2nd rounder and then a 5th and 6th or something like that.

But to your point, there would still be 3 players added each year "for free" to the minors for each team, plus 3 draft picks if they don't trade them away - 1 of which will be an NHL 1st rounder; 2 of which will be 1st rounders if the team in DNHL finishes 11th or worse (2nd round would be picks 21 and up, so 21-30 are still in the real NHL draft 1st round).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 05:44:40 PM »
My suggestion was that only the NHL 1st Rounders not be available for us.

Every team would still have the option of picking up 3 of their parent team's NHL draftees, drafted in round 2 through 7 in the NHL draft.
Some teams might have three 2nd rounders, others might have a 2nd rounder and then a 5th and 6th or something like that.

But to your point, there would still be 3 players added each year "for free" to the minors for each team, plus 3 draft picks if they don't trade them away - 1 of which will be an NHL 1st rounder; 2 of which will be 1st rounders if the team in DNHL finishes 11th or worse (2nd round would be picks 21 and up, so 21-30 are still in the real NHL draft 1st round).

I think this is the best solution.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • BayAreaBallers: Wtf brian
    May 10, 2024, 04:44:57 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, that was a wall of WTF.
    May 10, 2024, 05:16:07 PM
  • indiansnation: Iknow what im doing  wilson didnt do crap for me. Was not going to resogn him
    May 10, 2024, 05:53:04 PM
  • indiansnation: Ill sign smith or love in free agency.
    May 10, 2024, 05:56:01 PM
  • indiansnation: Hell i can get both if i want
    May 10, 2024, 05:56:20 PM
  • indiansnation: I will have 141m in cap space.
    May 10, 2024, 05:58:10 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: I think thwy are talking about the chat post about jayden daniels brian. Not your trade
    May 10, 2024, 06:00:50 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: *they
    May 10, 2024, 06:00:57 PM
  • Daddy: The World is a better place with you in it Brian. For sure. You are one of a kind sir. You know how i feel about ya.
    May 10, 2024, 06:09:45 PM
  • Daddy: If your post takes up the entire chat box, do not press send. We good. Post the link instead. ;)
    May 10, 2024, 06:11:08 PM
  • Daddy: You trading Russ after pooping on him for two years is no shocking development. You trading anyone other than the Wife shocks no one sir.
    May 10, 2024, 06:14:07 PM
  • ldsjayhawk: LOL!!
    May 10, 2024, 06:18:07 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Fricking hell JW that was savage
    May 10, 2024, 06:18:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: On mother days weekend too
    May 10, 2024, 06:18:54 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: FGM owners SD will look to make moves here very shortly as soon as I get time to get a better understanding of the team
    May 10, 2024, 06:19:59 PM
  • STLBlues91: im around the rest of the day for any talks
    May 10, 2024, 06:52:33 PM
  • Daddy: How does a Man go on vacation for a week yet manage to trade for Russ?  Im not so sure someone didn't miss med call this morning.
    May 10, 2024, 07:09:56 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    May 10, 2024, 10:21:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Jimw pm again
    May 10, 2024, 10:41:28 PM
  • indiansnation: Thanks for quick response brent
    May 10, 2024, 11:57:14 PM
  • Brent: Replied
    Yesterday at 12:09:28 AM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE "Pre Reserve" sign up sheets will appear next week. Be ready to select a college along with your NBA franchise as will be explained.
    Yesterday at 12:54:27 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE & NCAA Basketball LIVE will complete the LIVE experience on profsl. Our leagues have been copied & cloned on other sites. I can show you links.
    Yesterday at 12:56:07 PM
  • Daddy: Often imitated we may be. Duplicated we are not. There are no other leagues that are like us. Dont believe? See for yourself.
    Yesterday at 12:58:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talk
    Yesterday at 03:19:45 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE = 15 man roster >> 15 man G League affiliate (plus finance) >> NCAA Basketball LIVE (College Team) affiliate + recruiting. It will be the most realistic simulation in the dynasty basketball arena.
    Yesterday at 04:32:21 PM
  • Rhino7: I’m in for sure
    Yesterday at 04:38:40 PM
  • Braves155: PM Rhino
    Yesterday at 06:14:38 PM
  • Braves155: Will be around for talks rest of day
    Yesterday at 06:18:46 PM
  • TheGOAT: Anyone who needs secondary in nfl live could talk to me
    Yesterday at 07:43:57 PM
  • TheGOAT: PM STLBlues
    Yesterday at 09:16:47 PM
  • Daddy: Dont you just love it. When a deal comes together with another competitor. That exchanging of assets. Its how civilization was created.
    Yesterday at 10:12:48 PM
  • Daddy: Deal. (Nothing like it)
    Yesterday at 10:13:20 PM
  • Braves155: Anymore deals to be had in NFL LIVE? Looking for picks/young players
    Yesterday at 10:30:35 PM
  • indiansnation: If anybody looking to trade im up for it
    Today at 12:33:55 PM
  • indiansnation: Cubs and guardians make trade in mlb live
    Today at 01:41:33 PM
  • Braves155: I'm also looking to deal
    Today at 02:22:11 PM
  • Daddy: Tomorrow the NBA LIVE "Pre-Reserve" sign up sheet will be posted at 8PM EST. More league details to follow.
    Today at 02:30:02 PM
  • Daddy: Start up virgin franchises and an even playing field from the start. As with all LIVE leagues, no advantages, no disadvantages, only pure competition. The truest proving ground.
    Today at 02:31:26 PM
  • Daddy: Dynasty Basketball will never be the same. Its already changing.
    Today at 02:33:05 PM
  • Braves155: Meanwhile in NFL LIVE...eagerly awaiting start of the NFL LIVE Draft
    Today at 02:34:36 PM
  • Daddy: 8/1/24 8PM EST NFL LIVE Draft. The ultimate LIVE Draft!
    Today at 02:36:28 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE Owners, here is your draft preview [link]
    Today at 02:38:00 PM
  • Braves155: Would be interesting to see some Mock NFL LIVE Drafts, especially after the first 10 or so picks
    Today at 03:39:54 PM
  • Daddy: We only do one and we only do the first round. It isnt released until July.
    Today at 03:54:55 PM
  • TheGOAT: pm STLBlues
    Today at 04:51:27 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: RyanJames5   pm sent.
    Today at 06:22:37 PM
  • TheGOAT: Back again STL
    Today at 06:49:37 PM
  • TheGOAT: Back again STLBlues
    Today at 06:52:56 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE Entry Draft 7/6/24 8PM
    Today at 10:32:18 PM