Author Topic: The Rookie Draft  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Tubbs

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :SEA-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :MON-NHL:
    • :LIL:
    • View Profile
The Rookie Draft
« on: December 06, 2016, 07:48:51 PM »
I love this league but I wonder why we don't switch back to a straight up rookie draft - and ditch the rookie retention rights of each team.

Yes, as a cellar dweller this change would benefit me, but the draft is such an exciting time in any league, and gives cellar dwellers the hope that they can rejuvenate their team quickly- like a real life NHL GM.  That excitement is lacking here given the current set up.

Just throwing this,out there and would like to hear others' thoughts.  :toast:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
Re: The Rookie Draft
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 09:28:29 PM »
I'm personally a fan of retaining team picks. And it's done nothing but hurt me overall since the real life Bruins are TERRIBLE at drafting. I think it's a nice wrinkle, if not always completely fair. I also believe that it makes our Supplemental even more fun, having to dig deep for those players who went unnoticed in previous drafts, or those that have outplayed their draft position in the minors or overseas. Having a small Minors roster makes this draft very compelling, to me. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 09:51:05 PM »
I've said it previously as well, similar to what Tubbs is saying.

I get that this is the way it's been done for a while in DNHL though.

But what if say, my Panthers, or Tyler's Ducks, or Shooter's Blues were the Leafs or Oilers, and we got handed a free star player like Mathews or McDavid that makes our already good teams that much better?

Luckily for Vancouver and Arizona, those real life NHL teams will get good picks this year, but for Pittsburgh and Montreal, they aren't so lucky.
It also sucks for teams that don't even get a free 1st rounder if the NHL team trades theirs away.

But yes Rob, it sucks for you since Boston wasted those three 1st rounders a couple years ago, haha.

Maybe a wrinkle could be to leave all of the actual NHL 1st Round draft picks in the supplemental draft pool...
The top maybe 10 or 12 would go in that order, but for some people there might be a player with 38 NHL games that they would like instead of the 14th overall 18-year old prospect in that year's draft.
Also this way, the teams finishing lower in the standings get a shot at a really good prospect, instead of a 25th-30th overall prospect.
Still give the option for GM's to take their real NHL team's 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounders if they choose to though.
It would make the value of 1st Round draft picks a lot higher for trading chips as well, since the worst they would be equivalent to would be 20th overall NHL draftees if it was the league champion's 1st rounder.
Even 2nd round picks become more valuable since there would be at least 10 NHL 1st rounders left to be drafted in the 2nd round.

Just a thought - not totally taking away what's been in place, but adding a twist.
I think it makes it more fair for bottom end teams, especially if their franchises are good year over year.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 10:31:29 PM »
"Protected" first rounders is a very interesting idea. I like it. But if i had to vote I'd vote to keep it like it is. There's no doubt that it's not entirely fair. Good teams have received far better draft talent in the past than they deserve. And vice versa obviously. But it's not making the difference between good teams and bad in this league. It's a wrinkle, a speed bump so to speak that you have to navigate.  It also heavily rewards those GM's who do their research and know the game from college and on up by thinning the supplemental herd. I really like that element, even though I'm not the best in that category. That draft is probably my favorite part of this whole thing. That and losing in the finals.

So my take is clear, i think.  This has always been a democracy, so lay it on me.  If a change is consensus a change will occur.

And don't get me started on the Bruins drafting.  They f**king drafted Trent f**king Frederic in the 1st f**king round this year.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:35:32 PM by Rob »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 10:58:20 PM »
"Protected" first rounders is a very interesting idea. I like it. But if i had to vote I'd vote to keep it like it is. There's no doubt that it's not entirely fair. Good teams have received far better draft talent in the past than they deserve. And vice versa obviously. But it's not making the difference between good teams and bad in this league. It's a wrinkle, a speed bump so to speak that you have to navigate.  It also heavily rewards those GM's who do their research and know the game from college and on up by thinning the supplemental herd. I really like that element, even though I'm not the best in that category. That draft is probably my favorite part of this whole thing. That and losing in the finals.

So my take is clear, i think.  This has always been a democracy, so lay it on me.  If a change is consensus a change will occur.

And don't get me started on the Bruins drafting.  They f**king drafted Trent f**king Frederic in the 1st f**king round this year.

At least you still have first rounds picks haha. We love to trade them away. I like the protected idea. I think I would still vote to keep it the same until that idea is more fully developed. As for for people like me who have the team I actually root for, it's fun to always have some hawks in the system or on my team. I do think we need more minors roster spots with 3 keepers and 3 draft spots a year, but that's a debate for a different thread.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 12:46:25 AM »
Who in the hell is Trent Frederic....
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »
Who in the hell is Trent Frederic....

Exactly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 09:02:10 AM »
I dont think it would change much.  I kind of like it since it minimizes the benefits to tanking.  I had a different thought which would be to increase the minors games played to 80 versus the current of 40. 

This would keep more surprise standout rookies available for drafting.  Usually if there is a surprise standout player they made the team out of camp or in the first half of the season and are very likely to hit their 40 games before they ever make it to our draft.  So instead of the players being available for draft they end up being bid on halfway through season which kind of waters down the whole reason for having the rule.  If I remember correctly the no bidding on minors was so that teams couldnt cherry pick minors players and it was devaluing our draft picks. 

A great example that I can think of was John Klingburg. Surprise player that I dont think many if any had on their radar. Would have be nice to see him make it to the draft , instead a bottom team still had to bid on him to the tune of 6mill per year. 

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:25:52 AM »
I dont think it would change much.  I kind of like it since it minimizes the benefits to tanking.  I had a different thought which would be to increase the minors games played to 80 versus the current of 40. 

This would keep more surprise standout rookies available for drafting.  Usually if there is a surprise standout player they made the team out of camp or in the first half of the season and are very likely to hit their 40 games before they ever make it to our draft.  So instead of the players being available for draft they end up being bid on halfway through season which kind of waters down the whole reason for having the rule.  If I remember correctly the no bidding on minors was so that teams couldnt cherry pick minors players and it was devaluing our draft picks. 

A great example that I can think of was John Klingburg. Surprise player that I dont think many if any had on their radar. Would have be nice to see him make it to the draft , instead a bottom team still had to bid on him to the tune of 6mill per year.

I'm not sure that will keep any more players in the draft.  I would guess that just as many players hit 40 in-season as will hit 80.  Of course we'll have a more clear indication if the player is the real deal, which will increase their draft stock, but it will also increase their FA value if they hit the threshold mid-season. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:27:22 AM »
I kind of like it since it minimizes the benefits to tanking.

It certainly does.  You can't rely on a nice player falling in your lap.  There are still benefits to tanking, but you have to know your sh!t to do it right, instead of having it handed to you.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • dbreer23: Mucho respecto!
    April 17, 2024, 03:31:00 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the night for any deals
    April 17, 2024, 06:58:06 PM
  • Daddy: Michael Porter Jr.'s brother Jontay.... Banned for life by NBA for gambling.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:24 PM
  • Daddy: He bet on his own performance (under) and his team to lose games.
    April 17, 2024, 07:58:57 PM
  • dbreer23: good riddance
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:11 PM
  • dbreer23: and I'm not even a NBA fan
    April 17, 2024, 10:17:20 PM
  • Daddy: Gambling is as bad an addiction as there is.  This guy comes from money, has a brother thats uber rich, and he himself was in the NBA.
    April 17, 2024, 11:00:36 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS looking very tough for one team :ANA: 155.05 v 236.25 :NYR: with only today's games left to plan. :judge: [link]
    April 18, 2024, 10:44:33 AM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any deals
    April 18, 2024, 06:30:53 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here early for talks.
    April 19, 2024, 09:14:02 AM
  • Rob: SlackJack and his Arizona Coyotes are DNHL Champs for the 2nd year in a row.  Congrats!!  [link]
    April 19, 2024, 09:37:43 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Congrats to the 2024 FNHL NYR on winning it all!
    April 19, 2024, 02:23:56 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco: FNHL FINALS OFFICIAL SCORE :ANA: ANH 160.15 v 247.3 :NYR: NYR
    April 19, 2024, 02:25:02 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: Well done, FNHL's CaliHkyGuy [link] :winner:
    April 19, 2024, 02:37:42 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day for any trade talsk'
    April 19, 2024, 04:11:46 PM
  • STLBlues91: talks**
    April 19, 2024, 04:11:51 PM
  • Daddy: Ever since the Academy Awards a couple years back, ive been working on my slap technique.
    April 19, 2024, 10:21:13 PM
  • Daddy: Being a Philadelphia native, Will Smith has set the bar very high for us and its not like you can just slap random folk for practice.
    April 19, 2024, 10:22:18 PM
  • Braves155: Yo, who around rn?
    April 20, 2024, 10:35:56 AM
  • Rhino7: They do have slap fighting you could try
    April 20, 2024, 12:51:07 PM
  • Daddy: Damn they got slap fighting???
    April 20, 2024, 01:14:10 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Oh yeah they do. It's brutal.
    April 20, 2024, 04:02:39 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Usually on PPV. If you get into that try English phone booth fighting!!!
    April 20, 2024, 04:03:47 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Yup, UFC owned if im not mistaken. They handing out CTE for breakfast over there
    April 20, 2024, 07:18:25 PM
  • Daddy: Will Smith would be Drago in that sport.
    April 20, 2024, 07:58:15 PM
  • Daddy: I would be Clubber Lang
    April 20, 2024, 08:00:04 PM
  • Daddy: @Jwalkerjr88 i bet you are itching to trade or build something right now. Too bad you hate baseball. MLB LIVE be jumping when NFL LIVE rests (not that it rests much but still) :) .
    April 21, 2024, 02:00:29 AM
  • Jon: daddy, your the only game in town now for CFB on the board.  I removed Fansville as i decided i am not giving any more money to Fantrax for premium settings.  My leagues are free
    April 21, 2024, 11:32:55 AM
  • Braves155: MLB LIVE :NYY: has OF for trade looking for INF/pitching
    April 21, 2024, 01:51:13 PM
  • Daddy: Its always better for the site to have at least 2 leagues for each sport. However @Jon i understand the decision.
    April 21, 2024, 01:53:02 PM
  • Daddy: Fantrax fees do get expensive. Its like $110-$120 per league per year and when its all out of your own pocket and you do most of the work, its hard to find value in that.
    April 21, 2024, 01:55:06 PM
  • Daddy: Its like i been gone for a month all these PMs. Lordy! I hope its some trade talk in there.
    April 22, 2024, 11:04:36 AM
  • Daddy: Nope, nobody wants my junk players. It was all admin.
    April 22, 2024, 11:48:14 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahaha
    April 22, 2024, 04:10:00 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: 0 messages here.
    April 22, 2024, 08:27:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Mlb live indians looking to move p woo suk go
    April 23, 2024, 05:51:59 PM
  • Daddy: What is it the Indians are offering exactly, sounds like a private matter.
    April 23, 2024, 07:28:24 PM
  • Daddy: @BAB see MLB LIVE current bidding. (Pagan) :toth:
    Yesterday at 12:29:18 AM
  • Daddy: NFL DRAFT TONIGHT ROUND ONE IN PRIME TIME.
    Yesterday at 12:07:54 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: your a day early Daddy
    Yesterday at 12:51:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: ist tomorrow
    Yesterday at 12:52:07 PM
  • Daddy: :doh: FML
    Yesterday at 01:05:48 PM
  • indiansnation: Good evening all
    Yesterday at 04:45:28 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Trey hendrickson and tee higgins both request trades day before the draft. Tomorrow will bring fireworks
    Yesterday at 07:50:56 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Thurs kickoff starts at 1pm nfl network
    Yesterday at 08:32:25 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yepp
    Yesterday at 08:40:50 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: This mock draft on espn is interesting tonight.
    Yesterday at 09:37:27 PM
  • Alpha5: Why does Hendrickson want out?
    Yesterday at 11:20:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: Money alpha
    Yesterday at 11:37:29 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: He and like Higgins wants to get paid and have a better secure contract
    Yesterday at 11:37:49 PM