Author Topic: Power Rankings  (Read 11561 times)

Dan Wood

Power Rankings
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:12:13 AM »
You wanted it you got it...Just one man's opinion

POWER RANKINGS - 4/23/12

1. Dodgers - Looking for a three-peat (crap I owe Pat Riley money now). Sick, sick line-up and enough pitching to get them by.
2. Oakland - You've heard of stars and scrubs, this is stars and solids. Rob could use some pitching as it looks like Liriano is heading to an asylum.
3. Yankees - Despite injuries, they still have some of the best players at their respective positions. If Morse and Crawford don't come back soon, I don't think they hold this ranking for long.
4. Rockies - The collection of talent is just too good. This is an instance where you can blame their record on the manager.
5. Phillies - Age may one day catch up to this team, but for right now they are firing on all cylinders.
6. Braves - They have performed well thus far. Sick pitching staff - arguably the best, however his bats will need to keep it up in order to maintain this position.
7. Brewers - Usually in the top 3, but the Brewers are hurting right now from injury and under performance. Lack of depth has hurt them thus far.
8.  Boston - Jeter's hot start and and excellent pitching staff of 2,000 land them here. They could use a bell cow in their line-up.
9. Rangers - Best record in FGM. Solid from top to bottom. Most of his line-up has gotten off to an insane start. If they can keep it up then they will be a giant headache for the A's.
10. Reds - Need Ike, Beckham, Duda, and Montero to turn things around. Injuries to the pitching staff have hurt.
11. Rays - Unfortunately they play in the AL East, but if they add a SP soon, then they could be a lot of trouble.
12. Twins - Really like the combo of Mourneau and Hafner. Solid team in a very close division.
13. Cardinals - Can't count Paul out, ever...but if some of his players don't step up then it could be a long season in what is considered the toughest division in this league.
14. Astros - I feel this ranking will change and we will see the Stros in the top 10. It is a very well constructed ball-club. Francisco may be playing above his head at the moment.
15. Royals - Partying like it's 2007. D. Wright and HanRam are back. Santana is a stud. Has reinforcements on the way in Fister (giggle) and Timmy Hudson. My pick to win the AL Central.
16. Indians - Another solid team that plays in a Central division. Panda, Votto, Werthless, and Choo make this an interesting team. Can't see Schafer maintaining his level of performance.
17. Pirates - Wieters has arrived. Gio is for real. Swisher is out of his mind. Ethier is back. Youk is done.
18. Nats - Jake has done an excellent job with this team that was a steaming pile as of last season. Prince and Desi make for a solid foundation, and has some very underrated pitching after Kershaw.
19. Currently first in their division. Injury to Hudson hurts. How long can Pena, Cozart, and Jackson keep this up?
20. Blue Jays - Giving Daniel the benefit of the doubt on this because he has proved me worng in the past, just don't see the talent on this squad that this team has had in the past.
21. Cubs - After an off-season exorcism the Cubs have a pulse. Phillips and Gordon need to get their crap together, Carp needs off the DL, and Trout needs to be in the OF. They could make some noise.
22. Mets - Another team built with a endless bank account. When will Harper show up, when will they get some pitching.
23. Marlins - Upset my Reds this week. If Rios is back, coupled with Delmon, Sweeney, and AJ, this team may do more damage than people think.
24. D'Backs - Last years team that came out of nowhere. Could use that extra push that Ells gave them last season, you know if he wasn't hurt and in Baltimore.
25. Tigers - This team should be putting up better numbers than they have. Does Damon have anything left?
26. Mariners - Built more for the long haul, it'll be interesting to see how long Cargo remains in town
27. Giants - Pitching, nuff said. Flash has gotta find a way to get some bats in that line up. Flash is leading the free Brandon Belt charge.
28. Angels - His pitching should be better than it is. Clint Barmes has submarined the teams efforts thus far. I think we will see better results from this franchise.
29. Padres - Has a bunch of usable supporting players (Latos non-withstanding). Needs to get some top tier talent to SD.
30. Orioles - Ells going down was a huge blow, but this GM should be commended for sticking to the plan. If scouting reports are to be believed, then this team will be very good one of these days.

So that is that, first power ranking of the year. I don't like doing them too early because you really don't have a sense of what to expect from each team. I think we are getting to a place where every team can be competitive on a week to week basis. We still have dominant teams, no doubt, but in years past it was 4-5 teams and then everyone else. #10-20 could be argued and swapped all day long. Same with #20-29.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:22:19 AM by Dan Wood »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

joeshmoe

Re: Power Rankings
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »
You wanted it you got it...Just one man's opinion

POWER RANKINGS - 4/23/12

1. Dodgers - Looking for a three-peat (crap I owe Pat Riley money now). Sick, sick line-up and enough pitching to get them by.
2. Oakland - You've heard of stars and scrubs, this is stars and solids. Rob could use some pitching as it looks like Liriano is heading to an asylum.
3. Yankees - Despite injuries, they still have some of the best players at their respective positions. If Morse and Crawford don't come back soon, I don't think they hold this ranking for long.
4. Rockies - The collection of talent is just too good. This is an instance where you can blame their record on the manager.
5. Phillies - Age may one day catch up to this team, but for right now they are firing on all cylinders.
6. Braves - They have performed well thus far. Sick pitching staff - arguably the best, however his bats will need to keep it up in order to maintain this position.
7. Brewers - Usually in the top 3, but the Brewers are hurting right now from injury and under performance. Lack of depth has hurt them thus far.
8.  Boston - Jeter's hot start and and excellent pitching staff of 2,000 land them here. They could use a bell cow in their line-up.
9. Rangers - Best record in FGM. Solid from top to bottom. Most of his line-up has gotten off to an insane start. If they can keep it up then they will be a giant headache for the A's.
10. Reds - Need Ike, Beckham, Duda, and Montero to turn things around. Injuries to the pitching staff have hurt.
11. Rays - Unfortunately they play in the AL East, but if they add a SP soon, then they could be a lot of trouble.
12. Twins - Really like the combo of Mourneau and Hafner. Solid team in a very close division.
13. Cardinals - Can't count Paul out, ever...but if some of his players don't step up then it could be a long season in what is considered the toughest division in this league.
14. Astros - I feel this ranking will change and we will see the Stros in the top 10. It is a very well constructed ball-club. Francisco may be playing above his head at the moment.
15. Royals - Partying like it's 2007. D. Wright and HanRam are back. Santana is a stud. Has reinforcements on the way in Fister (giggle) and Timmy Hudson. My pick to win the AL Central.
16. Indians - Another solid team that plays in a Central division. Panda, Votto, Werthless, and Choo make this an interesting team. Can't see Schafer maintaining his level of performance.
17. Pirates - Wieters has arrived. Gio is for real. Swisher is out of his mind. Ethier is back. Youk is done.
18. Nats - Jake has done an excellent job with this team that was a steaming pile as of last season. Prince and Desi make for a solid foundation, and has some very underrated pitching after Kershaw.
19. Currently first in their division. Injury to Hudson hurts. How long can Pena, Cozart, and Jackson keep this up?
20. Blue Jays - Giving Daniel the benefit of the doubt on this because he has proved me worng in the past, just don't see the talent on this squad that this team has had in the past.
21. Cubs - After an off-season exorcism the Cubs have a pulse. Phillips and Gordon need to get their crap together, Carp needs off the DL, and Trout needs to be in the OF. They could make some noise.
22. Mets - Another team built with a endless bank account. When will Harper show up, when will they get some pitching.
23. Marlins - Upset my Reds this week. If Rios is back, coupled with Delmon, Sweeney, and AJ, this team may do more damage than people think.
24. D'Backs - Last years team that came out of nowhere. Could use that extra push that Ells gave them last season, you know if he wasn't hurt and in Baltimore.
25. Tigers - This team should be putting up better numbers than they have. Does Damon have anything left?
26. Mariners - Built more for the long haul, it'll be interesting to see how long Cargo remains in town
27. Giants - Pitching, nuff said. Flash has gotta find a way to get some bats in that line up. Flash is leading the free Brandon Belt charge.
28. Angels - His pitching should be better than it is. Clint Barmes has submarined the teams efforts thus far. I think we will see better results from this franchise.
29. Padres - Has a bunch of usable supporting players (Latos non-withstanding). Needs to get some top tier talent to SD.
30. Orioles - Ells going down was a huge blow, but this GM should be commended for sticking to the plan. If scouting reports are to be believed, then this team will be very good one of these days.

So that is that, first power ranking of the year. I don't like doing them too early because you really don't have a sense of what to expect from each team. I think we are getting to a place where every team can be competitive on a week to week basis. We still have dominant teams, no doubt, but in years past it was 4-5 teams and then everyone else. #10-20 could be argued and swapped all day long. Same with #20-29.

Dan these look great, thanks!  I really enjoyed reading through....although I think you have my Padres pegged all wrong....which I like :thumbsup:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
Rays are hoping Jarrod Parker is that SP you were speaking of DW  :thumbsup:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Jake

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
I liked the Pat Riley bit. Nothing else caught my eye. :koolaid:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »
Maybe because you weren't looking at dudes in chaps... :thumbsup:
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jake

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »
...I'm sorry, did you say something? I keep getting distracted searching for the next George Michael concert.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline VolsRaysBucs

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :ORL:
    • :TBL:
    • :Tennessee:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:07 AM »
...I'm sorry, did you say something? I keep getting distracted searching for the next George Michael concert.
He's doing a remake...it's called "I want your SPECS...I want your STUDS."  :o
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's not the deep water that drowns us...we die because we stop kicking.

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:11:40 AM »
I think the teams 10-20 could easily switch places.  They are all very close in talent.  Luck will ultimately separate them as the teams in the top 9 spots are either big market powerhouses or established small market machines such as Oakland and Milwaukee.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

joeshmoe

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
I think the teams 10-20 could easily switch places.  They are all very close in talent.  Luck will ultimately separate them as the teams in the top 9 spots are either big market powerhouses or established small market machines such as Oakland and Milwaukee.

Agreed, but I think we could see a leveling out here in the next few years.  I suspect the Orioles to be a great team very shortly.

I know the Padres made questionable decisions in my first draft, and etc. but I think last year was a great draft for SD.  Baez, Lopez, Meyer (is a giant LHP).  Just took some time.  I also have a small market which handicaps my teams pursuit of Free Agents.  Lastly, the former regimes hadn't really left much.  Tate was a disappointment thus far. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dan Wood

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:57:18 AM »
Big changes this week in the power rankings.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    May 19, 2024, 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    May 19, 2024, 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    May 19, 2024, 01:23:10 PM
  • dbreer23: Brian CLE PM
    May 19, 2024, 01:49:57 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    May 19, 2024, 03:29:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm trade posted in fgm
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:17 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves ill send u message soon
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:32 PM
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    May 19, 2024, 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    May 19, 2024, 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    May 19, 2024, 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    May 19, 2024, 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    May 19, 2024, 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    May 19, 2024, 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    May 19, 2024, 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    May 19, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
  • TheGOAT: Around for trade talks in NFL Live
    May 19, 2024, 08:07:18 PM
  • Braves155: Likewise
    May 19, 2024, 08:22:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: What you looking for? @Thegoat?
    May 19, 2024, 11:01:43 PM
  • Rhino7: Down goes the Champs! Nuggs out
    May 19, 2024, 11:56:44 PM
  • Daddy: That Minnesota NBA LIVE team aint lookin too bad right now. Should be fun!
    Yesterday at 12:00:46 AM
  • Rhino7: Good team except the contracts
    Yesterday at 03:09:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve seen them? We havent completely structured all that yet. Weve got expansion and other factors that the real Wolves dont face.
    Yesterday at 03:39:40 PM
  • Daddy: My comment on the real Wolves are if they win a chip then there is no such things as bad contracts. The point of all contracts are to win Championships.
    Yesterday at 03:40:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: I will be around the rest of the day to talk deals. Tomorrow I will be around after work but plan on being in some spreadsheets most the day
    Yesterday at 05:04:22 PM
  • Rhino7: No, haven’t seen them except on spotrac
    Yesterday at 05:33:13 PM
  • Daddy: @Rhino7 the rumor is they've got a decent GM in both leagues. Especially NBA LIVE. (Howwwwwwwl)
    Yesterday at 07:13:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well Vegas is ready to grab one of the players on the roster
    Yesterday at 07:17:34 PM
  • Daddy: Lol, Seattle too Im sure.:rofl:
    Yesterday at 07:43:10 PM
  • Daddy: I will leak this... Each team will be allowed to protect 5 and each team can only lose one player to expansion
    Yesterday at 07:44:21 PM
  • Daddy: 30 teams to draw from = 15 players each
    Yesterday at 07:44:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: Id also imagine trading and all that can happen. Like pick a guy to trade to another team to pick up other assets
    Yesterday at 07:45:25 PM
  • Daddy: You know LIVE rules. Once they are yours you can do whatever you like.
    Yesterday at 07:46:32 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah had to just check. So a deadline to select the keepers. Then a few days for the selection. Me and Seattle alternate picks?
    Yesterday at 07:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: The expansion draft is LIVE alternating picks until both teams have 15 players like the NBA All Star teams get picked.
    Yesterday at 07:48:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: oh Crap
    Yesterday at 07:49:27 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: this is interesting w my team
    Yesterday at 07:49:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: who to protect outside the obvious
    Yesterday at 07:49:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Sounds good I didnt know if it would be like the NHL expansion with seattle where they get posted or live broadcasting
    Yesterday at 07:50:02 PM
  • Daddy: The "Expansion draft" will be a LIVE Event & followed by the Entry Draft where Vegas/Seattle also will start off with picks #1 & #2.
    Yesterday at 07:50:06 PM
  • Daddy: We doing BIG Crap with this basketball league. Buckle up!
    Yesterday at 07:50:46 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE is codenamed "The "Matrix" for all the numbers we running. Its currently being built.
    Yesterday at 07:52:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well I will get my roster breakdown before the live expansion since I am done working for the summer next Wednesday
    Yesterday at 08:01:38 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE will drop first. Hockey guys trade like crazy. Good luck. :)
    Yesterday at 08:12:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah working on that spreadsheet and a few fixes on it. May do some slight visual adds and then to NCAA football sheet which I got going as well
    Yesterday at 08:48:21 PM
  • Daddy: :toth: the best moderator team on the planet. Thanks! :toth:
    Yesterday at 09:14:11 PM
  • Daddy: Can you imagine a league(s).  Where EVERY player that becomes a professional has value.. and 30-32 teams have 30-32 different people are actively determining that value?
    Today at 01:46:50 AM
  • Daddy: Where you dont wait for trades to happen on scoring sites or SS updates and the only thing asked of you is to run your own franchise and see how good you are. On an EVEN playing field.
    Today at 01:48:59 AM
  • Daddy: Its already near impossible to get into NFL LIVE. We had to start up a 64 team league just to accommodate the waiting list. True Story.
    Today at 01:55:29 AM
  • Daddy: Once full. NBA, NHL, & NCAAs will be very difficult to get into. People dont just walk away from LIVE often and when they do... They usually want back in. Legit dont miss your team in your sports. Get them while you can.
    Today at 02:00:44 AM
  • IndianaBuc: RyanJames5 PM
    Today at 09:13:54 AM