Author Topic: The Rookie Draft  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
Re: The Rookie Draft
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
If we do protect first round draft choices, we would have to do it in a few years or offer some sort of compensation to teams like me who have handed out my first rounders like candy for the next.

Right, it would have to happen effective 2019 - so that none of these picks have been traded.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :Blank:
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 01:55:57 PM »
If we do protect first round draft choices, we would have to do it in a few years or offer some sort of compensation to teams like me who have handed out my first rounders like candy for the next.

Yes - Earliest would be the 2018 draft so not for a year and a half... Not many of those picks have been dealt, and the only 1st rounder that was traded, you actually have received!
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »
I'm a big fan of protecting 1st round picks.  I've been screwed and benefited from it as the real life Canes have traded away and received 1st rounders and nothing sucks more than knowing I'll miss out on a top prospect because Jim Rutherford wanted to have all the Staal brothers on a team. 

Speaking of changes; this might not be the place, but since we are basing future salary cap limits partly on unspent cap in our league we should have a cap floor.  We lost 2 million for next year just as the NHL's cap is increasing almost entirely because the Coyotes are sitting on 40m.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
I'm a big fan of protecting 1st round picks.  I've been screwed and benefited from it as the real life Canes have traded away and received 1st rounders and nothing sucks more than knowing I'll miss out on a top prospect because Jim Rutherford wanted to have all the Staal brothers on a team. 

Speaking of changes; this might not be the place, but since we are basing future salary cap limits partly on unspent cap in our league we should have a cap floor.  We lost 2 million for next year just as the NHL's cap is increasing almost entirely because the Coyotes are sitting on 40m.

I feel like there's always going to be a team rebuilding and sitting on cap.  There has been every year so far.  But I am not opposed to a cap floor.  I just haven't thought through how to implement/enforce it. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Rob

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 02:05:20 PM »
But on the other side of that, the real life Cane's are sitting on a ton of cap which lifted the NHL average quite a bit.  Not to the same relative amount, but enough to not make our system anomalous, this year at least.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
Yes - Earliest would be the 2018 draft so not for a year and a half... Not many of those picks have been dealt, and the only 1st rounder that was traded, you actually have received!

In that case let's start it next year! I knew I had two but I honestly didn't think I had mine anymore. Glad I do because I'm going to be BAD real soon.

If we did want to implement a protected first round pick sooner, I'm willing to work with you guys to get Philly his pick back and start it in 2018
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :MIN-NHL:
    • :NorthDakotaState:
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 03:34:41 PM »
The one thing that I like about the Draft Keepers is that it helps keep all teams stocked with prospects. Not to pick on anyone but Philadelphia and Anaheim have both recently traded away the majority of their supplemental draft picks but were still able to add some decent prospects thru draft keepers. I think that this rule helps keep all teams somewhat stocked and it will be less likely that a team is completely run into the ground.

I don't think that the system is completely fair to all the teams but like Rob I do like the wrinkle that it provides. I haven't been very fortunate as the blues since they have been a good team and have drafted pretty low in most drafts (They traded a first round pick away for Jay Freaking Bouwmeester!). I think the best Draft Keeper that I have so far is Robby Fabbri.

I think if we eliminated the draft keepers then our Supplemental draft would get deeper but this would just lead to more players being passed over in the draft and being signed as FA's during the year. Right now there are probably 1.5 draft keepers for each team which would be 45 each offseason. The supplemental draft allows us to select another 60 players each year which leaves us with roughly 100 players added each offseason. This will end up pushing more players to FA and prevent teams from acquiring young cheap productive players which every team needs to fill out their roster.

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 05:29:59 PM »
I feel like there's always going to be a team rebuilding and sitting on cap.  There has been every year so far.  But I am not opposed to a cap floor.  I just haven't thought through how to implement/enforce it.

Maybe we don't have to have a real one, as I'm not a fan of making teams acquire players they don't want.  They could just sign any random free agent to a one year deal to get them to the cap floor.  That doesn't add anything to the league.  The NHL has the salary floor set to 16m below the cap.  Maybe we could just use that 16m for equation purposes and make that the largest free cap allowed when figuring it out.  Wonder where that would set our cap for next year???
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 05:41:23 PM »
The one thing that I like about the Draft Keepers is that it helps keep all teams stocked with prospects. Not to pick on anyone but Philadelphia and Anaheim have both recently traded away the majority of their supplemental draft picks but were still able to add some decent prospects thru draft keepers. I think that this rule helps keep all teams somewhat stocked and it will be less likely that a team is completely run into the ground.

My suggestion was that only the NHL 1st Rounders not be available for us.

Every team would still have the option of picking up 3 of their parent team's NHL draftees, drafted in round 2 through 7 in the NHL draft.
Some teams might have three 2nd rounders, others might have a 2nd rounder and then a 5th and 6th or something like that.

But to your point, there would still be 3 players added each year "for free" to the minors for each team, plus 3 draft picks if they don't trade them away - 1 of which will be an NHL 1st rounder; 2 of which will be 1st rounders if the team in DNHL finishes 11th or worse (2nd round would be picks 21 and up, so 21-30 are still in the real NHL draft 1st round).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 05:44:40 PM »
My suggestion was that only the NHL 1st Rounders not be available for us.

Every team would still have the option of picking up 3 of their parent team's NHL draftees, drafted in round 2 through 7 in the NHL draft.
Some teams might have three 2nd rounders, others might have a 2nd rounder and then a 5th and 6th or something like that.

But to your point, there would still be 3 players added each year "for free" to the minors for each team, plus 3 draft picks if they don't trade them away - 1 of which will be an NHL 1st rounder; 2 of which will be 1st rounders if the team in DNHL finishes 11th or worse (2nd round would be picks 21 and up, so 21-30 are still in the real NHL draft 1st round).

I think this is the best solution.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • dbreer23: Cubs are dealing in FGM, hit me up
    May 19, 2024, 12:59:38 PM
  • Braves155: Looking for an OF in FGM. IN Armchair looking to re-tool/rebuild a bit. Snell and others could be avail
    May 19, 2024, 01:09:11 PM
  • Braves155: PM Davew
    May 19, 2024, 01:23:10 PM
  • dbreer23: Brian CLE PM
    May 19, 2024, 01:49:57 PM
  • Braves155: PM BAB
    May 19, 2024, 03:29:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Bayareaballers pm trade posted in fgm
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:17 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves ill send u message soon
    May 19, 2024, 03:56:32 PM
  • indiansnation: Dbreer23 pm
    May 19, 2024, 03:58:46 PM
  • indiansnation: Braves155 pm
    May 19, 2024, 04:35:11 PM
  • indiansnation: Watching boston kick the living crap out of cardinals
    May 19, 2024, 04:53:49 PM
  • Braves155: Great seeing the Knicks get schooled
    May 19, 2024, 06:37:35 PM
  • Rhino7: I agree, pacers will be a better match vs Celtics
    May 19, 2024, 07:02:21 PM
  • Braves155: But just like anytime Stephen A. gets hyped for the Knicks, they disappear in big games
    May 19, 2024, 07:08:00 PM
  • TheGOAT: Celtics would probably win it all
    May 19, 2024, 07:20:01 PM
  • Braves155: Looking forward to TWolves-Nuggets tonight
    May 19, 2024, 07:22:40 PM
  • TheGOAT: Around for trade talks in NFL Live
    May 19, 2024, 08:07:18 PM
  • Braves155: Likewise
    May 19, 2024, 08:22:40 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: What you looking for? @Thegoat?
    May 19, 2024, 11:01:43 PM
  • Rhino7: Down goes the Champs! Nuggs out
    May 19, 2024, 11:56:44 PM
  • Daddy: That Minnesota NBA LIVE team aint lookin too bad right now. Should be fun!
    Yesterday at 12:00:46 AM
  • Rhino7: Good team except the contracts
    Yesterday at 03:09:09 PM
  • Daddy: Youve seen them? We havent completely structured all that yet. Weve got expansion and other factors that the real Wolves dont face.
    Yesterday at 03:39:40 PM
  • Daddy: My comment on the real Wolves are if they win a chip then there is no such things as bad contracts. The point of all contracts are to win Championships.
    Yesterday at 03:40:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: I will be around the rest of the day to talk deals. Tomorrow I will be around after work but plan on being in some spreadsheets most the day
    Yesterday at 05:04:22 PM
  • Rhino7: No, haven’t seen them except on spotrac
    Yesterday at 05:33:13 PM
  • Daddy: @Rhino7 the rumor is they've got a decent GM in both leagues. Especially NBA LIVE. (Howwwwwwwl)
    Yesterday at 07:13:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well Vegas is ready to grab one of the players on the roster
    Yesterday at 07:17:34 PM
  • Daddy: Lol, Seattle too Im sure.:rofl:
    Yesterday at 07:43:10 PM
  • Daddy: I will leak this... Each team will be allowed to protect 5 and each team can only lose one player to expansion
    Yesterday at 07:44:21 PM
  • Daddy: 30 teams to draw from = 15 players each
    Yesterday at 07:44:57 PM
  • STLBlues91: Id also imagine trading and all that can happen. Like pick a guy to trade to another team to pick up other assets
    Yesterday at 07:45:25 PM
  • Daddy: You know LIVE rules. Once they are yours you can do whatever you like.
    Yesterday at 07:46:32 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah had to just check. So a deadline to select the keepers. Then a few days for the selection. Me and Seattle alternate picks?
    Yesterday at 07:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: The expansion draft is LIVE alternating picks until both teams have 15 players like the NBA All Star teams get picked.
    Yesterday at 07:48:04 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: oh Crap
    Yesterday at 07:49:27 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: this is interesting w my team
    Yesterday at 07:49:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: who to protect outside the obvious
    Yesterday at 07:49:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Sounds good I didnt know if it would be like the NHL expansion with seattle where they get posted or live broadcasting
    Yesterday at 07:50:02 PM
  • Daddy: The "Expansion draft" will be a LIVE Event & followed by the Entry Draft where Vegas/Seattle also will start off with picks #1 & #2.
    Yesterday at 07:50:06 PM
  • Daddy: We doing BIG Crap with this basketball league. Buckle up!
    Yesterday at 07:50:46 PM
  • Daddy: NBA LIVE is codenamed "The "Matrix" for all the numbers we running. Its currently being built.
    Yesterday at 07:52:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Well I will get my roster breakdown before the live expansion since I am done working for the summer next Wednesday
    Yesterday at 08:01:38 PM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE will drop first. Hockey guys trade like crazy. Good luck. :)
    Yesterday at 08:12:04 PM
  • STLBlues91: Yeah working on that spreadsheet and a few fixes on it. May do some slight visual adds and then to NCAA football sheet which I got going as well
    Yesterday at 08:48:21 PM
  • Daddy: :toth: the best moderator team on the planet. Thanks! :toth:
    Yesterday at 09:14:11 PM
  • Daddy: Can you imagine a league(s).  Where EVERY player that becomes a professional has value.. and 30-32 teams have 30-32 different people are actively determining that value?
    Today at 01:46:50 AM
  • Daddy: Where you dont wait for trades to happen on scoring sites or SS updates and the only thing asked of you is to run your own franchise and see how good you are. On an EVEN playing field.
    Today at 01:48:59 AM
  • Daddy: Its already near impossible to get into NFL LIVE. We had to start up a 64 team league just to accommodate the waiting list. True Story.
    Today at 01:55:29 AM
  • Daddy: Once full. NBA, NHL, & NCAAs will be very difficult to get into. People dont just walk away from LIVE often and when they do... They usually want back in. Legit dont miss your team in your sports. Get them while you can.
    Today at 02:00:44 AM
  • IndianaBuc: RyanJames5 PM
    Today at 09:13:54 AM