Author Topic: Dear Dynasty  (Read 2244 times)

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
  • Director of Media Relations
    • :Blank:
    • :PHI-NHL:
    • View Profile
Dear Dynasty
« on: January 10, 2020, 11:47:53 AM »
Is the playing field level enough and/or is there enough incentive to win? Would love to hear what others have to say. Think this could be a fairly wide ranging convo. Why I ask is that it generally seems that there are only a couple of real contenders each year and even those teams tend to prioritize the future over the present.

For me this is highlighted by John Carlson being made available for picks and prospects by a team ranked 3rd over-all in the standings. Not being critical of the GM and I get that Carlson is on an expiring contract, but really?

I also understand that there is a trend in the real NHL towards youth. Real GM's are increasingly reluctant to part with picks etc. Eliot Friedman's latest 31 thoughts comes to mind. But still.

I'd rather see a powerhouse like Winnipeg go for all the marbles and keep Carlson as an own-rental. The same with Pittsburgh. Sure losing Guentzal is tough but is there not enough parity in the league to still try and compete? Is there not enough incentive or are the two front-runners so clearly ahead that it isn't realistic to try?

The issue runs deep in keeper leagues. GM's love the potential of youth and I am no exception, but that can't be the greater motivation in building a team. There should be more desire to win.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL:  2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 Backyard NHL Stanley Cup Champion :STL-NHL:

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :MIN-NHL:
    • :NorthDakotaState:
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »
I don't see any issues with Winnipeg putting Carlson on the block. If Carlson keeps up his current pace and plays in 82 games he is going to have an $8.6m resign next year (could be higher when blocked shots are factored in). Winnipeg put Eric Staal on the block last year (when he was going to have a high resign) but didn't end up trading him even though he was his 5th best center on his team. If he can get more long term value for Carlson by trading him I think its the prudent thing for him to do knowing there is a chance he will lose him this next offseason for nothing. This is how teams get to the top and stay there. They think ahead and see these issues before they happen and maximize long term value.

I do the same thing myself. Its why I traded Nino Niederreiter when I did. His future resign value didn't fit in to my teams plans and instead of losing him for nothing or trading him when I had less leverage I moved him before the season started.

http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=332967.msg1343183#msg1343183
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 01:27:04 PM »
I don't see any issues with Winnipeg putting Carlson on the block. If Carlson keeps up his current pace and plays in 82 games he is going to have an $8.6m resign next year (could be higher when blocked shots are factored in). Winnipeg put Eric Staal on the block last year (when he was going to have a high resign) but didn't end up trading him even though he was his 5th best center on his team. If he can get more long term value for Carlson by trading him I think its the prudent thing for him to do knowing there is a chance he will lose him this next offseason for nothing. This is how teams get to the top and stay there. They think ahead and see these issues before they happen and maximize long term value.

I do the same thing myself. Its why I traded Nino Niederreiter when I did. His future resign value didn't fit in to my teams plans and instead of losing him for nothing or trading him when I had less leverage I moved him before the season started.

http://www.profsl.com/smf/index.php?topic=332967.msg1343183#msg1343183
Sidestepping my point here Shooter. I already conceded that Carlson was on an expiring contract and all that comes with that. My question to you is do you honestly feel you have enough competition at the top? Is the playing field level enough from your lofty perspective?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
:SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL: :SC-NHL:  2015-16, 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 Backyard NHL Stanley Cup Champion :STL-NHL:

Offline WestCoastExpress

• MVP
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
I'm 100% guilty of this. I'm more content to be a good team and "have a chance" each year rather than throw all the marbles on the table for 1-year but lose my good prospects.

I started changing that thinking this year a bit, but nothing has come up so far trade-wise that makes sense.
I'd rather be trading a Turcotte, Kupari or Boqvist for a player who has at least 2 years left, not expiring this year and due for a huge pay-day.

The one team that I do think is all-in all the time is Philly. Hats off to Pappy for just going for it year after year.
But the problem comes up like his team is that keeping all of those star players he traded for, their re-signs are super high.
Philly's got what, 5 C's (some have W elig. though) taking up literally half of his cap space (Crsoby, Malkin, Stamkos, Kopitar, Pavelski = $44.7m).

Part of the reason I parted with Ryan Johansen with a couple years left on his rookie contract - didn't want to pay money on him.
I also though John Carlson was just an average D-man even with top PP minutes with OV following 2 years of under 40-points, and sold him off for pennies on the dollar to get rid of that $4.3m cap hit. Oops....

To Slack's point a bit... I think it's tough for there to be a lot of competitiveness when there are always 2-5 teams in total tank mode and don't care about anything other than prospects and picks, and will win FA's and pay their contracts to the highest bidders. Top teams are usually good because they draft well (and also get lucky their parent club either sucks and gets high picks or drafts well in real life).

I also think that this is a more laid back, free salary fantasy league so we aren't all hardo's for fantasy hockey. Even for me, I've taken a step back the past year and a half and mostly just show up in the off-season for things, and then set my lines during the season. So there's that. Seems a lot of guys are like that even more so. Off-season to set up their roster and then just let things play out.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
Sidestepping my point here Shooter. I already conceded that Carlson was on an expiring contract and all that comes with that. My question to you is do you honestly feel you have enough competition at the top? Is the playing field level enough from your lofty perspective?

Lets look back at the 2017-2018 season. I finished the regular season in 2nd and faced Anaheim in the 2nd round (top 8) of the playoffs as the 2 seed vs. 7 seed. Looking back at the regular season I had outscored Anaheim by 1000+ points (4326.75 to 3308.05). I had outscored the 2nd highest scoring team that year (Winnipeg) by 500 points that season. And when I talk points here I'm talking the season stats and not the standings page which would show these as twice as big since we play two matchups each week.

If you do the math I had been outscoring Anaheim by 45 points a week for the entire year and they still pulled the upset. Its the playoffs and anything can happen in a one week matchup. So yes I think any of the teams that make the playoffs can win the whole league on any year. That year Colorado made a run from the 5 spot and won the whole thing. So when Detroit and Pittsburgh say they don't think they can compete this year I don't really agree. All it takes is your team to get hot at the right time and you can win the league.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 02:01:22 PM »
Interesting points guys. Basically make the playoffs and anything can happen but no point going for broke.

I wonder if there were greater incentive to win how much that would change. Obviously good GM's will always manage their assets but we'd see more deals for rental players if there was a prize or purse. Not really wanting to open the money-league debate but yeah if there's a way to stimulate competition I'd be in favour.

Prize idea's that don't give undue advantage to the winner?
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline WestCoastExpress

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 02:50:14 PM »
Interesting points guys. Basically make the playoffs and anything can happen

Its the playoffs and anything can happen in a one week matchup... All it takes is your team to get hot at the right time and you can win the league.

This has really always been the case for me.
More than ones I've finished 1st by a landslide in leagues only to lose in the 1st round of playoffs (2nd round since 1st week is generally a bye for top-2 teams in leagues I'm in).
It's weeks like those when guys come out of the wood-work and put up an 8-point week and you're like "where in the hell did this guy come from?" Some 3rd liner puts up 8 points this week to bring his season total to 25, in 69 games... or something along those lines. (Look a N.Accari on real life FLA ... Anyone thing he keeps that pace up the rest of the season on 45% shooting %? Unlinkely...)

Other times I've finished on the playoff bubble and won the darn thing, with no expectations to even win a round. When all the "middle-of-the-pack" players end up putting up a point per game all at once when they've been going at like 0.6 ppg all season.

In a league like this all it takes is a few good weeks for your goal-scorers to put up big stats and goalies not to get totally shelled, and you can beat any team. Take a week such as this one. Pastrnak is out there doing his thing like he has all season, but had a hat-trick last night and Kucherov finally woke up and is scoring goals now too. On the flip side all it takes is an injury or two to guys such as those and my playoff-week would be ruined. Never know what can happen in a 1-week match-up!

As for prizes, not sure on that. I don't really like the "win and you get a % off a re-sign" or something like that. Just helps the "good" teams that much more.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 03:00:49 PM »
I think there is more competition this year than in many years.  Especially when the Ducks had a monster 3 season run and were basically unbeatable. 

I mainly put players on the trading block just to drum up some hockey talk not really because I don't think my team has a chance to win.  Any team that makes the playoffs has a chance.

When Colorado won I think their highest scoring player those 2 finals weeks was Kevin Connauton.  You never know what will happen.

All in all I think this past offseason, with the incredible number of trades has shown this league has a great number of active GMs doing what they think can produce a winner.  Some push the chips all in and some are playing the percentages.   

I had a fancy champagne ice bucket that with a base would look like a righteous trophy.  Trophy's are always the best prize for lording over people.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Offline SlackJack

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 04:45:32 PM »
I think there is more competition this year than in many years.  Especially when the Ducks had a monster 3 season run and were basically unbeatable. 

I mainly put players on the trading block just to drum up some hockey talk not really because I don't think my team has a chance to win.  Any team that makes the playoffs has a chance.

When Colorado won I think their highest scoring player those 2 finals weeks was Kevin Connauton.  You never know what will happen.

All in all I think this past offseason, with the incredible number of trades has shown this league has a great number of active GMs doing what they think can produce a winner.  Some push the chips all in and some are playing the percentages.   

I had a fancy champagne ice bucket that with a base would look like a righteous trophy.  Trophy's are always the best prize for lording over people.

I like the idea of a desktop sized trophy. Something small and easy to ship with an engraving that says something like "Reigning Dynasty NHL Champion". Previous champ responsible to ship top the new. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:59:09 PM by SlackJack »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline shooter47

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 06:59:15 PM »
I like the idea of a desktop sized trophy. Something small and easy to ship with an engraving that says something like "Reigning Dynasty NHL Champion". Previous champ responsible to ship top the new.

I had thought about getting a beer mug and having all the past winners engraved on it and then you could ship that to the next champion. A trophy would work as well.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Jwalkerjr88: Interesting developments so far. If you need a QB in NFL Live. Plenty of them have 1st round pedigree
    April 25, 2024, 10:53:26 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE Draft Room [link] current picks, 2024 preview & history.
    April 25, 2024, 11:06:17 PM
  • Braves155: Daddy, what are your thoughts on the NFL Draft thus far?
    April 25, 2024, 11:34:39 PM
  • Braves155: Or anyone, what ya think?
    April 25, 2024, 11:35:07 PM
  • dbreer23: Vegeta100 PM
    April 25, 2024, 11:40:43 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of surprised tonight as expected. Offensive heavy. 6 QBs in the 1st. 7 WRs. Fun night
    Yesterday at 12:52:03 AM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of NFL Live implications. Cant wait to see it unfold. On to night 2
    Yesterday at 12:52:28 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i wish we took cooper Frick
    Yesterday at 01:05:02 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: we coulda waited on pearsall
    Yesterday at 01:05:12 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: as much as i do like him a bit cuz he was dceent at ASU and solid at UF
    Yesterday at 01:05:26 AM
  • Daddy: Who is cooper Frick? What position he play
    Yesterday at 02:57:55 AM
  • Brent: BAB, yeah, Cooper is a beast.
    Yesterday at 07:21:11 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Daddy I was just expressing my displeasure that we passed on cooper dejean. I strongly felt cb was a bigger need or ol than wr
    Yesterday at 10:28:14 AM
  • Daddy: I get it
    Yesterday at 10:39:43 AM
  • Daddy: I dont understand everything i saw last night. The biggest winner to me was Gardner Minshew
    Yesterday at 10:40:41 AM
  • Daddy: Raiders, Atlanta both should have traded back if they were gonna do what they did. IMO
    Yesterday at 10:41:23 AM
  • Daddy: Atlanta could have fleeced Minny and let them draft JJ #6 then still get Penix before Denver/LV
    Yesterday at 10:42:24 AM
  • Daddy: Its like Brian is running the Raiders.
    Yesterday at 10:43:02 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: ya know what speaking of gardener I did trade for him this off-season
    Yesterday at 10:46:49 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: I honestly wouldn't have minded pearsall but I saw him as a Rd 2 target not Rd 1. Great to see another former alumni join the niners.
    Yesterday at 10:48:21 AM
  • Daddy: 49ers made a smart pick IMO.
    Yesterday at 02:25:27 PM
  • Daddy: Their WRs need contracts and Deebo has been used a lot for a guy his size already.
    Yesterday at 02:26:18 PM
  • Daddy: They cant and wont keep them all beyond this year.
    Yesterday at 02:27:17 PM
  • Daddy: Plenty of Defense left. Only 9 guys on D got drafted last night. NONE of them will be 1st rd picks in LIVE. In fact i dont think a D player gets drafted at all in LIVE till round 3.
    Yesterday at 02:29:01 PM
  • Daddy: If you want a S or CB @BAB your Niners will get one.
    Yesterday at 02:30:45 PM
  • Daddy: If anyone questions the potency or quality of Colorado marijuana, i got two words for you. Bo Nix
    Yesterday at 02:32:52 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: lets see what we do today
    Yesterday at 06:15:44 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Alot of great players remaining on the board
    Yesterday at 06:48:05 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Prospects rather
    Yesterday at 06:48:13 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Per my own eval at least
    Yesterday at 06:48:25 PM
  • Daddy: There are still +220 picks to be made. So. Yeah.
    Yesterday at 07:35:23 PM
  • Daddy: If you got ANY extra loot laying around. Pick #33 will definitely be a WR. Probably got to wager $5 to win $1 by now but the line was -400 last i looked.
    Yesterday at 07:36:50 PM
  • Daddy: #33 + WR = $$$
    Yesterday at 07:37:36 PM
  • Daddy: My guess Keon Coleman. I put it out there. Now im going to drink my crown and smoke a cigar. Rounds 2 & 3 begins in 10 minutes.
    Yesterday at 07:49:11 PM
  • Daddy: Damn im good
    Yesterday at 08:18:55 PM
  • Daddy: Only 12 offensive players were drafted in Round 2. All of them 1st rd NFL LIVE picks.
    Yesterday at 10:31:11 PM
  • Daddy: 63% of NFL Roster makeup  Are players drafted in rounds 4-7 or UDFA
    Today at 01:05:08 PM
  • Alpha5: CBS's comp for Bo Nix is Josh Dobbs lol
    Today at 03:01:57 PM
  • IndianaBuc: Maybe there’s hope for Zack after all.
    Today at 03:13:10 PM
  • Alpha5: Trotter to the Eagles. That's pretty good @jwalker
    Today at 03:58:11 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Nix will be their guy for at least a few years. He was picked 1.12. Zach wilson is fighting for his nfl life
    Today at 04:35:18 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: @Alpha Trotter to eagles is a great story. Not sure it produces great results. We will see
    Today at 04:35:42 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Zach wilson vs Jarrett Stidham camp battle for QB2. The suspense!
    Today at 04:45:40 PM
  • Alpha5: Keon Colemans comp is Ja'Marr chase on CBS which is weird to me
    Today at 05:19:09 PM
  • Jwalkerjr88: Nothing like having some depth guys on your NFL Live roster you believe in and watching his team draft a player at his position. Sometimes it happens twice. Stay strong NFL Live GMs lol
    Today at 05:53:25 PM
  • Alpha5: Trey Benson picked crushed my Demarcado/Michael Carter hopes
    Today at 06:12:44 PM
  • Alpha5: *pick
    Today at 06:12:58 PM
  • Daddy: Dont think of it that way. So many guys get hurt. The NFL moves so fast. Think of your players as commodity even if they are backups or rookies that arent playing much.
    Today at 06:16:20 PM
  • Daddy: Any player that plays at all has LIVE value. It's the GMs here that determine what that value means to them or is worth in a trade.
    Today at 06:17:45 PM
  • Daddy: If a guy is on your team and he is also on an NFL roster. He has LIVE value.
    Today at 06:19:21 PM