Author Topic: Need New Scoring System  (Read 7360 times)

haseloff

Re: Need New Scoring System
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2014, 12:54:43 AM »
Make it a one year transition then.  Those of us who took over Craptty rosters and are just rebuilding will be just as happy.  I was saying 3 years to appeal to those who have created dynastic level teams at the expense of our previous owners.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jss0062

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
    • :DAL:
    • :SA:
    • :Blank:
    • :Texas:
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2014, 03:04:00 AM »
My only problem with the Fangraphs scoring is that it greatly diminishes the closer role which isn't real baseball.

It is quickly becoming real baseball.  Over the last 4 years only 31.6% of the top 10 save leaders returned to the list the next season.  Rosenthal and Uehara took over the closer role as the 3rd options last season.  Mo and Kimbrell to a certain extent are exceptions. 

http://www.faketeams.com/2013/12/17/5218750/fantasy-baseball-2014-the-closer-carousel-continues

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-02-21/MLB-closers-turnover/53199238/1

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/more-closer-turnover-002100906--mlb.html

http://www.deepleagues.com/2013/02/15/closer-debate-buy-buy/
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

kerr

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2014, 08:34:38 PM »
We can't wait three years.  The scoring in here is absurdly bad so changing that has to be a priority.  I'd like to do it this year but I just don't think it would be fair to owners.  Making it known now gives all owners a year's warning which I feel is plenty of notice.

This would be really great for the league so long as we know specifically the scoring settings we should begin to adjust for.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2014, 09:45:47 PM »
If the role were diminished there would be three guys per team with 10+ saves each because with it being a diminished role you could put your most valuable reliever in the most crucial role rather than the closer role.  When middle relievers make what closers make, that will be an indicator of diminished role. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lindner

« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
If the role were diminished there would be three guys per team with 10+ saves each because with it being a diminished role you could put your most valuable reliever in the most crucial role rather than the closer role.  When middle relievers make what closers make, that will be an indicator of diminished role.

I disagree.  The Fangraphs settings reflect how well a player performs.  Putting such a heavy emphasis on something as unpredictable as the closer carousel is poor policy, imo.  Teams also used to payout tons of money to players because they accumulated a lot of RBIs/Runs.  The times are a-changing and that's why advanced fantasy leagued don't give much merit to the "luck stats" (Wins, RBIs, Runs, Saves, etc.).
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2014, 11:30:38 PM »
I disagree.  The Fangraphs settings reflect how well a player performs.  Putting such a heavy emphasis on something as unpredictable as the closer carousel is poor policy, imo.  Teams also used to payout tons of money to players because they accumulated a lot of RBIs/Runs.  The times are a-changing and that's why advanced fantasy leagued don't give much merit to the "luck stats" (Wins, RBIs, Runs, Saves, etc.).

You're free to run your team how you like.  Again, closers make much more than middle relievers and it's not because they have a diminished role.  You can't cherry pick some parts of data over two years to make claims contradicted by other sets of data like salary.  If the closer role were diminished, it would be a carousel within the season.  Managing payroll and dropping older closers like Mujica for arbitration pitchers like Rosenthal doesn't equate to a diminished role for the position, especially when the younger, cheaper closer is just flat out better.

And if you read particularly the pitching breakdown of the fangraphs scoring you will see that by their own admission, non-pitcher performance
plays a factor in the scoring.  BTW, those stats aren't luck.  They're team dependent stats much like home runs, obp, and era are park dependent stats. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lindner

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2014, 12:07:33 AM »
You're free to run your team how you like.  Again, closers make much more than middle relievers and it's not because they have a diminished role.  You can't cherry pick some parts of data over two years to make claims contradicted by other sets of data like salary.  If the closer role were diminished, it would be a carousel within the season.  Managing payroll and dropping older closers like Mujica for arbitration pitchers like Rosenthal doesn't equate to a diminished role for the position, especially when the younger, cheaper closer is just flat out better.

And if you read particularly the pitching breakdown of the fangraphs scoring you will see that by their own admission, non-pitcher performance
plays a factor in the scoring.  BTW, those stats aren't luck.  They're team dependent stats much like home runs, obp, and era are park dependent stats.

If the league wants to give closers a prominent role, I'm fine with it.  I just think players should receive points based on how well they perform, not by how many times they luck into a save opportunity. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

soiytenlee

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2014, 01:55:09 AM »
I know I am one of the new guys here, but here is my take on a few things:

1. I think that the transition period to whatever new scoring system can be done in one year and still be fair to all parties, both the built and the building, just as long as the parameters are set in detailed stone. This is something that probably should be settled BEFORE free agency begins. Maybe push back the start date to FA as an option.

2. While middle relievers are not getting what closers are getting contract wise, the gap between the closer and those who pave the way for his save opportunity has closed considerably recently. The has happened for two reasons, first the argument has been heard that the 7th and 8th inning guy is almost as important as the closer, so their contracts have been raised in value as such. Second, the closer's salary has fallen on average recently and teams are much more reluctant to sign a closer to a monster contract, except the elite of the elite. Alot of teams would rather let that closer walk in FA and bring up the cheaper kid with the electric fastball and serviceable offspeed offering. The school of thought is spreading that if that closer is not a Mo or Kimbrel, then they can be replaced.

I said all that to say this, the save is a stat. The save matters and should have value since in some instances it is a 1 run game in the 9th and that closer has to face the likes of Trout, Pujols, Hamilton or Miggy, Prince, and Vmart with Austin Jackson's speed sitting on 2nd. But there is a bit of luck to it also where the closer comes in with a 3 run lead and faces the 7th,8th, and an ice cold PH off the bench. If there is a way to specify the in game situation in the scoring, weighing each save than that would be optimal. I have not seen this yet, and I am unfamiliar with the scoring features available with our chosen site. If that is not an option than the value a save represents should be lowered slightly but still kept around.

Also, I am a huge fan of defensive metrics and think they are becoming a focus of today's game more and more. While the voters of awards have not totally come around to this yet, it certainly does matter and should be represented in league as realistic as this. Just my thoughts.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
If the league wants to give closers a prominent role, I'm fine with it.  I just think players should receive points based on how well they perform, not by how many times they luck into a save opportunity.

I know what you're saying but a lot of these stats are dependent on something.  If you have bad infielders you give up more hits.  If you play in Coors you give up more hits.  If you play at Wrigley you give up more home runs.  If you pitch at Dodger stadium, you give up fewer hits.  If this and that, you get x.  If you pitch against certain teams you give up certain types of stats more often.  That's part of the game.  As far as the prominence of the closer role, in these stats a save is 20% more than a hold.  I think that's out of whack from their importance in baseball.  It might break down value wise with sabermetrics but that's not how teams overwhelmingly value those stats.  Jim Johnson gets $10 million a year and a good middle reliever doesn't get half that.  As much as there may be a belief that closer carousels will be a continuing trend, middle relief carousels have always been the case.  So I think saves should be valued more than 20% of holds to reflect how teams actually value those players.  And if it changes over time and it might, then we can update the scoring to reflect what is happening in baseball.  This might be fantasy baseball but the key word in that is baseball.  I mean we can play a game of WAR and pitching independent stats and stuff like that but the tradition is to measure home runs and rbi and strikeouts, etc.  That's the tradition.  Maybe in 20 years baseball cards will note WAR and those are the stats that will get cited most often.  Then we can play Fantasy WAR Baseball or something.  Miguel Cabrera was the MVP and if baseball tradition were about the sabermetrics then Mike Trout would have won in a landslide.  We can mix the old with the new but let's not throw tradition out the window as irrelevant.     

Offense
At Bat:  -1
Single:  5.6
Double:  8.5
Triple:  11.3
Homerun:  15
Walk:  3
Hit by Pitch:  3
Stolen Base:  1.9
Caught Stealing:  -2.8

Pitching
Inning Pitched:  7.4
Hit Allowed:  -2.6
Walk Allowed:  -3
Hit by Pitch:  -3
Strikeout:  2
Homeruns:  -12.3
Save:  5
Hold:  4
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chrisetc21

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »
I don't want to delay free agency.  We can continue to discuss and hash this out.  I would like to have something set in stone prior to the start of the season so that people will have a full year to plan for the changes.  If we delay free agency we put the start of the season in jeopardy. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Dont believe me? See for yourself.
    April 27, 2024, 10:32:08 PM
  • Daddy: Dont like me? So what
    April 27, 2024, 10:32:18 PM
  • Daddy: If you like sports and like dynasty. And you arent in LIVE... You aint hurting me none. You just wont know how good you really are. Pretending to be the best, isnt being the best.
    April 27, 2024, 10:33:55 PM
  • Daddy: The "best GMs" seek the best competition. Period.
    April 27, 2024, 10:38:07 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL Carolina Hurricanes welcome new owners MooseMan & GoForth :CAR-NHL: [link] :CAR-NHL:
    April 28, 2024, 01:44:14 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Here to talk
    April 28, 2024, 10:25:28 PM
  • dbreer23: PM Mt_Crushmore
    Yesterday at 12:58:42 AM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Pm DBreer23
    Yesterday at 01:30:41 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE updates are happening on fantrax and profsl.
    Yesterday at 02:49:06 PM
  • Daddy: Check your profiles on each site and pms to be sure you are caught up but more updates are coming its a massive league and its a busy time.
    Yesterday at 02:50:11 PM
  • Daddy: NFL/NCAA LIVE football commith.
    Yesterday at 02:51:48 PM
  • Daddy: Recruiting begins June 1
    Yesterday at 02:52:19 PM
  • Daddy: Draft is August 1
    Yesterday at 02:52:40 PM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE Draft [link] one week after MLB Draft is set and locked in.
    Yesterday at 02:55:01 PM
  • Daddy: Huge NFL LIVE trade up in the draft.
    Yesterday at 03:35:50 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to both teams
    Yesterday at 03:36:00 PM
  • Daddy: @Sky welcome back to profsl. @indiansnation @Brent are two GMs that i know remember you on site. There are probably many others. Big time return. :toast:
    Yesterday at 06:05:28 PM
  • Sky: :) Thanks Daddy! You pulled me back in lol
    Yesterday at 06:58:51 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for any talks
    Yesterday at 08:16:52 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Vegeta100 PM'D you.
    Yesterday at 09:51:48 PM
  • Daddy: There are pms flying all over the place and trades happening in multiple sports.
    Yesterday at 11:16:34 PM
  • Daddy: Dont let the clean boards fool you. :) Run those teams and dominate somebody.
    Yesterday at 11:17:59 PM
  • Daddy: There goes another trade. Congratulations to the trading teams.
    Yesterday at 11:20:39 PM
  • Daddy: Sky you old sly devil you. You been back on site 15 minutes :rofl:
    Yesterday at 11:21:27 PM
  • Sky: :) why wait. got players I like
    Yesterday at 11:22:17 PM
  • Brent: Sky, Welcome back.  PM sent.
    Yesterday at 11:29:45 PM
  • Daddy: I knew @Brent would approve.
    Yesterday at 11:30:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Im glad your guys dont like my minors exspecially this guy
    Today at 12:20:25 AM
  • indiansnation: Tugboat' joins lofty company on 15-K night Wilkinson twirls six hitless innings for Single-A Lynchburg
    Today at 12:20:31 AM
  • indiansnation: P   Matt Wilkinson
    Today at 12:21:09 AM
  • indiansnation: I love my indians pitchers cant wait to they make it to mlb roster
    Today at 12:21:57 AM
  • Daddy: I changed your name to the Guardians and i tried to change your profile name to Guardiansnation but it wouldn't let me.
    Today at 12:23:23 AM
  • indiansnation: [link]
    Today at 12:23:47 AM
  • dbreer23: 6'1" 270 lbs - ding, ding!
    Today at 12:23:49 AM
  • Daddy: You dinosaur
    Today at 12:23:52 AM
  • indiansnation: Guardians might bot draft great hitters but guardians have one of the best pitching farms in mlb
    Today at 12:24:46 AM
  • indiansnation: And he was draft in10th round in 2023 draft
    Today at 12:25:37 AM
  • Daddy: MLB LIVE all that matters. I'd rather win the LIVE Championship than see the Phillies win the WS #Factz
    Today at 12:26:23 AM
  • indiansnation: Thats why the vet gms pn this site do so good with their minors they spend alot of time reasearching
    Today at 12:26:58 AM
  • Daddy: I did one. I watched the other. Im a doing kind of guy first.
    Today at 12:27:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Well daddy dont get your hopes up this yr u ate not going to win it
    Today at 12:27:37 AM
  • Daddy: You have to research now. We eliminated the rules that allow people to hijack prospects because they think you smart but they dont know chit.
    Today at 12:29:11 AM
  • Daddy: You cant hide or be a poser. You gotta post up your own FAs and prospect finds.
    Today at 12:29:51 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    Today at 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    Today at 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    Today at 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    Today at 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    Today at 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    Today at 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    Today at 12:33:17 AM