Author Topic: Who Among MLB's Hottest Players Are Legitimate Stars?  (Read 756 times)

reedjohnson

Who Among MLB's Hottest Players Are Legitimate Stars?
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
Blog Manager's Note: Here is the third ProFSL contribution from Bleacher Report's Ely Sussman. Be sure to read the full slideshow filled with pictures and more links over at Bleacher Report.

Early in the season, it is difficult to distinguish hot players from truly talented ones. We’re left wondering which of the league’s leading producers will sustain their production throughout 2012. By identifying fantasy frauds now, you’ll be able to sell them while their stock is high. Giving up on a rising superstar could haunt you all summer. But sticking with a scrub as he regresses from excellence to his actual playing ability can also be tough to stomach.

The following 10 individuals are enjoying off-the-charts success through the regular season’s second weekend. None have ever been considered extraordinary fantasy options. I’ll tell you whether any are finally emerging as legitimate stars.

C Yadier Molina (St. Louis Cardinals)

St. Louis Cardinals starting catcher Yadier Molina had somewhat of a breakout year in 2011.

He finished with career highs in batting average (.305), home runs (14), runs batted in (65) and runs scored (55). Now—with Albert Pujols gone and his own future taken care of—Molina has become one of fantasy baseball's elite backstops. The first-place Cards lead the majors in scoring despite an injury to Lance Berkman and negligible contributions from Matt Holliday.

The offense promises to be a potent one when those two get going. Expect Molina to have ample opportunities to bat with runners in scoring position this season. He always posts a sparkling strikeout-to-walk ratio and he's completely capable of a batting average akin to 2011's. I'm only skeptical about his slugging. He's currently on pace for 300-plus total bases. That isn't sustainable for a ninth-year player whose previous best is 221.

2012 stats through April 15: .353 AVG, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 9 R, 1 SB, 4 BB, 6 K

3B David Freese (St. Louis Cardinals)

Teammate David Freese is nearly the National League's top batter. It's as if the World Series never ended for him!

His early-season power numbers cannot realistically be maintained over six months (he's averaging more than a RBI per game). Although the St. Louis Cardinals third baseman won't produce like Evan Longoria or Jose Bautista, he won't be far behind, either.

The late-bloomer has been successful at every level of professional baseball, including in the big leagues for much of 2011. Impatience at the plate will limit his on-base percentage and consequently, his runs scored. His line-drive swing won't deliver more than 20 home runs.

Still, there is no shame in starting David Freese. He—like Yadier Molina—will reap the benefits of batting amid a great lineup.

2012 stats through April 15: .406 AVG, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 6 R, 1 BB, 8 K

SP Lance Lynn (St. Louis Cardinals)

Rest assured, this is a league-wide article, but the St. Louis Cardinals have achieved a 7-3 record because of three, first-time fantasy studs.

Lance Lynn has already defeated two division rivals in 2012, the Milwaukee Brewers and Chicago Cubs. He surrendered just one run to each. He will stay in the rotation indefinitely with Chris Carpenter sidelined. Mid-90s fastball velocity and a filthy curveball could contribute to countless strikeouts for the talented right-hander.

However, he will need to prove that his slider—abandoned a year ago when he was relieving—can be an effective third pitch. Lynn is not a MLB ace, but he'll continue to dominate lineups that are devoid of lefty power. Pay close attention to his matchups.

2012 stats through April 15: 2-0, 1.50 ERA, 12.0 IP, 13 K, 0.75 WHIP

LF J.D. Martinez (Houston Astros)

Outfielder J.D. Martinez has been a steady producer for the Houston Astros with at least one hit in every 2012 game. But his success as a second-year outfielder is hardly surprising. Martinez was a .342 career batter in the Minor Leagues.

Veteran first baseman Carlos Lee has started strong, too. With him in the cleanup spot, Martinez should keep seeing hittable pitches. However, he isn't exactly the second coming of Hunter Pence, who—now with the Philadelphia Phillies—complements power hitting with double-digit base stealing. The Astros frankly don't have a deep batting order. As a result, Martinez won't touch home plate as often as somebody of his talent should.

2012 stats through April 15: .371 AVG, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 5 R, 4 BB, 7 K

LF Shelley Duncan (Cleveland Indians)

Shelley Duncan has forever been a platoon player. That hasn't changed despite his hot start.

Free agent Johnny Damon was just signed by the Cleveland Indians, a transaction that demotes Duncan from starting left fielder to his usual role. Something of this ilk was inevitable. When healthy, Grady Sizemore uproots center fielder Michael Brantley and shifts him to left.

Also, Matt LaPorta is wreaking havoc at Triple-A Columbus. He could see time at the position if recalled. Duncan has exhibited uncharacteristic plate discipline through eight games while still hammering extra-base hits. Alas, he'll lose value with a lack of plate appearances.

2012 stats through April 15: .320 AVG, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 7 R, 8 BB, 6 K

funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: I am the biggest nerd when it comes to milb prospects their is like another 100 prospects in mlb i could add right know in heartbeat. My luttle time im off from work I spend hours looking at specs.
    Yesterday at 12:23:33 AM
  • indiansnation: If u look at everybody in mlb live prospect wise is killing it in minors. Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live and then start working on nfl live and and nhl live.
    Yesterday at 12:25:51 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: niners could still be interested in adding players. believ i have  abt 4 picks in 2025 that i can maybe use in trade depending on deal
    Yesterday at 12:30:57 AM
  • dbreer23: "Im about done with adding my specs in mlb live" - I'll believe that when...well, never!
    Yesterday at 01:02:58 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: lmaoo way to contradict brian
    Yesterday at 01:10:09 AM
  • Daddy: Agreed
    Yesterday at 01:10:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i had room in my farm so i figured i fill it some
    Yesterday at 01:10:20 AM
  • Daddy: I dont mind activity. Especially with purpose. Brian needs hockey to start.
    Yesterday at 01:11:26 AM
  • Daddy: Its been so long since ive done a hockey league and ive fallen behind a bit in the sport because of that. This year hockey is back in my life for good.
    Yesterday at 01:12:42 AM
  • Daddy: @Brian we have a 60 player minor league limit. All of our guys on each team should be killing it in the minors. Sign guys you believe in. Then let them develop.
    Yesterday at 01:21:47 AM
  • Daddy: Everytime a guy is hitting .400 at Corpus Christi that doesn't make him Ted Williams.
    Yesterday at 01:26:13 AM
  • Daddy: None of these dudes are gonna help you avoid datazzwhupin im putting on you this week. Reap the whirlwind Brian. Reap it.
    Yesterday at 01:29:07 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: is this reference to guys i added?
    Yesterday at 01:29:55 AM
  • Daddy: You sir... No. Football is our battle ground. Im talking about Mr. 189 minor league nerd that TEXTED me he was gon whoop me this week.
    Yesterday at 01:34:21 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: hahahah ok
    Yesterday at 01:35:38 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy is going down by guardians in mlb live.
    Yesterday at 01:40:26 PM
  • indiansnation: Hey colts in nfl live looking to move qb russel Wilson looking for draft picks in return.
    Yesterday at 01:43:08 PM
  • Daddy: That is a great trade in MLB. Most trades are great but few are star worthy. Congratulations to both GMs!
    Yesterday at 04:19:40 PM
  • Daddy: Isaac Coffey will be a FA again in 72 hours.
    Yesterday at 04:21:55 PM
  • OUDAN: CCD guys lets deal!!!!
    Yesterday at 04:44:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: prolly will be yes daddy
    Yesterday at 04:55:56 PM
  • Daddy: As long as both owners are happy @BAB and they both seem very happy.
    Yesterday at 05:41:23 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: yeah i hear ya
    Yesterday at 06:02:44 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: has CCD been active
    Yesterday at 06:07:28 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: havent really checked that one much
    Yesterday at 06:07:33 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: been focused on LIVE
    Yesterday at 06:07:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around the rest of the night for trade talks in any league
    Yesterday at 07:19:35 PM
  • Brent: CCD is very active on the Discord Channel.
    Yesterday at 07:55:50 PM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    Yesterday at 07:57:35 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: evening
    Yesterday at 08:03:53 PM
  • Braves155: Will be on for a portion of the evening
    Yesterday at 08:10:39 PM
  • Braves155: Been starting to get into these older games that originally ran off DOSBOX for those who know what I'm talking about. The idea is you build your team with a salary of XXX and then every 2-3 seasons you have decisions to make. Field a 26 man roster, control your own pitching rotation, pen, lineup & bench like the true MLB. Draft every season where there's a lot of turnover. Interesting for sure.
    Yesterday at 08:15:28 PM
  • Braves155: PM Jwalk (Jets)
    Yesterday at 08:30:58 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: idsjayhawk replied
    Yesterday at 08:34:31 PM
  • Braves155: PM Professor Dan
    Yesterday at 09:19:27 PM
  • Daddy: Let that Man go on vacation. :rofl:
    Yesterday at 09:27:13 PM
  • Daddy: He had earned this getaway. His computer has earned it.
    Yesterday at 09:28:07 PM
  • Braves155: NEVER!!
    Yesterday at 09:28:29 PM
  • Braves155: You mean 'getaway' from 100 prospect posts/week from our Brian?
    Yesterday at 09:29:17 PM
  • Braves155: Any LIVE deal talks? Hmu
    Yesterday at 09:38:00 PM
  • Daddy: He ain't the only one brotha :)
    Yesterday at 09:40:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: dbreer deserves at least a hanfulof beers and margs
    Yesterday at 09:45:42 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: we put him through the ringer w the activity
    Yesterday at 09:45:54 PM
  • Rhino7: CCD has had a lot of trades lately
    Yesterday at 09:54:49 PM
  • Daddy: That's awesome!
    Yesterday at 10:06:13 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I've returned to fgm
    Today at 01:44:16 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Took over the team available
    Today at 01:44:26 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations @BAB. FGM is well managed.
    Today at 02:28:01 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Yes I'm aware I had too much going on when I left after 2022 season. I'm back now for my second stint
    Today at 02:50:11 AM
  • ldsjayhawk: Excited to have you
    Today at 01:00:06 PM