Author Topic: New rule idea, opinions requested  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :NE:
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
Re: New rule idea, opinions requested
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 10:15:48 AM »
From an administrative perspective it may be easier to have a short "Offer Sheet Period".  Maybe for 1 week between the season closing and the "Extension Period" starting.  All Offer Sheets would need to be posted and responded to during this period.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline snugerud

• League Moderator
  • MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 0
  • I am the ghost of fantasy hockey past
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 10:33:18 AM »
It's already costing them at least 20% above market value.  Adding more of a monetary cost to it could dissuade people from doing it.

whats market value though?  The extension cost?  People only extend players when their value is higher than their extension cost. I think there has to be a cost associated to the infringing GM or they can up people with little to no consequences. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Bro-Lo El Cunado

Offline Rob

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 3
    • :BOS-NBA:
    • :BOS-NHL:
    • :NewHampshire:
    • :NER:
    • :BOS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 10:35:14 AM »
Yea, extension cost is what I mean by market value.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline -BA-

• Legend
    • :MIN-NFL:
    • :MIN-NBA:
    • :WAS-NHL:
    • :Michigan:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »
If you had to say give up your 1st round pick for example you could only really do it once or twice max I would assume.  That would limit what a team could do, and would make those 1st rounders more valuable.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You go to the box. Two minutes by yourself and... you feel shame. You know... and then you get free."

Eric

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »
I think the NFL does it with only one offer sheet. Like if Boston has a restricted player (player A), and I put an offer in on him. Boston can counter the player and sign him or reject it and Vegas would sign him.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Eric

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 01:14:08 PM »
If you had to say give up your 1st round pick for example you could only really do it once or twice max I would assume.  That would limit what a team could do, and would make those 1st rounders more valuable.

Yeah thats what the NHL does, I believe.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Online jmtrops

• Legend
    • :TBL:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
- Once an RFA has been issued an offer sheet, no other team may submit an offer sheet for that player.

I think you have to allow all teams to put in a offer sheet on the same player but the team with the lowest finish has the claim.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Capn Cally

• MVP
  • Bonus inPoints: 10
    • :TOR-NBA:
    • :VAN:
    • :VAN-MLS:
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 04:22:22 PM »
In a different league I am in, for Basketball, there is an interesting twist to "RFA" players.

For any player with an expiring contract that is deemed an "RFA" there is a separate "RFA Bidding" season, which happens before regular FA season.

For the RFA bidding, any team in the league can bid on the players, it is the exact same as FA. At the end of the bid (48 hours, or whatever the timeframe), the team that owns the RFA has the choice to match the bid or let the winning bidding team have the player.
However, there is draft pick compensation attached to the bid amount.
That is something that would have to be figured out for our league.

Probably something along the lines of the extensions:
Salary - Max Years
$5m+ - 5 years (the overall limit)
$3.5 to $4.9m - 4 years
$2 to $3.4m - 3 years
$0 to $1.9m - 2 years

If the per-year value of the bid is over $5m, then you surrender a 1st Round Pick
If the per-year value is between say, $3.0 and $4.9m, then you surrender a 2nd Round Pick
If the per-year value is under $3.0m, then it's a 3rd round pick

The interesting thing is though, is that this RFA bidding happens before the rookie draft (in our case it would be the supplemental).
So the team that owns the RFA can choose to take this year's 1st round pick, knowing which position the team is drafting in, or they can take the 2018 1st round pick if they choose.
The only stipulation though is that the bidding team must have the draft picks for compensation RFA bidding in the next 2 years. As in, 2019 picks wouldn't count for compensation purposes.
Since we all get our 2019 picks after the season, it means any team would easily be able to bid in RFA. But those 2019 picks are so far away, they aren't really all that valuable - it's so far away.
So if a team doesn't have a 1st rounder in 2017 or 2018, they wouldn't be able to bid on RFA's over the $5m threshold.
I think there is also a rule that if say your bid is in the $3m-$4.9m range and you don't have any 2nd rounders in the next 2 years but have a 1st, then the team can choose to take your 1st.

It's kind the same as the NHL in terms of, if you don't have the correct compensation draft picks available, you can't make an RFA offer sheet to a player.
(Trust me, I've tried numerous times on NHL 17, and 16 and 15 and 14 etc etc... and it doesn't allow you to make RFA bids if you've traded away the corresponding draft picks to the dollar amount of the offer sheet, haha).

The only thing for our league is to determine which players are considered RFA's...
I think we already said the players that have P-n/a contracts are exempt from all of this.
It just becomes a matter of if ALL expiring contracts are available for RFA or how that would happen.
Because if ALL expiring contracts are available, then there would almost be no extensions to do. Which might be good, might be bad, who knows.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 04:25:40 PM by Capn Cally »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Anthony

• Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 10000
    • :CHI:
    • :CHI-NBA:
    • :CHI-NHL:
    • :Minnesota:
    • :CHC:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 06:02:47 PM »
Maybe there is some sort of service time rule that we can use here. If a player has been on a team for X amount of years, they become a "cornerstone player" who a team then has exclusive rights to resign (exactly how current extensions work right now). The reasoning behind this is that in the NHL, players who have been on teams for years are much more likely to resign with their team. A lot of the best players in the league have opted to stay with their original teams (Toews, Kane, Crosby, Ovi, Malkin, Lundqvist, Price, etc.) It would be nice to have the assurance as an owner that if I have put X amount of years into a player that I would be able to keep him, instead of having to fight every owner and overpay on him.

The downside to this is that it could affect our trade market and teams would be less likely to make blockbuster trades for this reason.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline GypsieDeathBringer

• League Moderator
  • MVP
    • :DAL:
    • :ORL:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :Pittsburgh:
    • :blank:
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »
I'm not a real big fan of any RFA being able to be offer sheeted.  That seems like way to much movement of players every year.  Almost like an expansion draft each offseason.  Look at the Ducks.  They would've possibly lost Tavares, Parise, and Benn.  That is just gutting a team. 

Offer sheets happen so infrequently in the NHL.  We would use offer sheets all the time because we are animals.

So I'd suggest a team can only have 1 player taken by offer sheets.  Or, have no limit except on guys making over a certain salary, so multiple elite guys aren't being picked off.

Having the offer sheet period before the extension period could essentially give teams free pick's/or whatever perk we give to a team that has a player nabbed from them.  Since nobody has to offer a qualifying extension.  Maybe the Ducks can't afford those 3 players, and weren't planning to sign Parise or Benn, allowing them to get picks/whatever for players they weren't going to sign.  So maybe move it to after the extension period and before the draft like Capn suggested.

We could use the NHL's compensation chart, or doctor it up to suit or draft (they release a new one each year to compensate for salaries):
Less than $1,239,226    Nothing
Over $1,239,226 to $1,877,615    Third-round pick
Over $1,877,615 to $3,755,233    Second-round pick
Over $3,755,233 to $5,632,847    First and third-round picks
Over $5,632,847 to $7,510,464    First, second and third-round picks
Over $7,510,464 to $9,388,080    Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
Over $9,388,080    Four first-round picks

Since multiple offer sheets for the same player never happens in the NHL we are making up our own rules there.  I'd suggest instead of a first come first serve situation where people are just camping out until midnight hits for whatever date we choose.  We can have a certain period where all teams can put in, but they only get 1 shot.  Best and final number and if someone beats you on that player you can't come back with a new offer.  That puts all teams on the same level. 

Just my 2 cents.
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
2011-12 Dynasty NHL Champion :CAR-NHL:
[Dynasty NHL :PIT-NHL:]
[ProFSL Dynasty Hockey :PIT-NHL:]

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: Grandpa Brian
    April 13, 2024, 11:07:15 PM
  • indiansnation: No thanks daddy im looking to take your team out. I want to make my @@@ch
    April 13, 2024, 11:15:39 PM
  • indiansnation: Looking for one moe big bat and a couple of starting pitching
    April 13, 2024, 11:16:27 PM
  • indiansnation: Back at u bigfry
    April 13, 2024, 11:24:04 PM
  • Daddy: Im preparing for Hockey domination. :)
    April 14, 2024, 12:06:09 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry important pm read the latest pm i sent u
    April 14, 2024, 12:14:42 AM
  • indiansnation: Dad yea u going down in that league also nhl live u got no chance in any live leagues
    April 14, 2024, 12:15:32 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy im takening u out
    April 14, 2024, 12:15:47 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm trade offer sent
    April 14, 2024, 12:36:54 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry back at u
    April 14, 2024, 12:57:58 AM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry trade posted everything u mentioned to me
    April 14, 2024, 01:27:13 AM
  • indiansnation: Stlouis blues 91 pm back at u
    April 14, 2024, 01:34:40 AM
  • indiansnation: Debreer23 pm
    April 14, 2024, 01:37:22 AM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    April 14, 2024, 02:36:03 AM
  • Daddy: Geezus that MLB board is lit up. Lets clean that up a bit.
    April 14, 2024, 01:24:20 PM
  • Daddy: Great job Gary, thank you.
    April 14, 2024, 01:27:52 PM
  • janesvilleaces: Daddy pm
    April 14, 2024, 03:31:53 PM
  • indiansnation: Stlblues91 pm
    April 14, 2024, 04:13:22 PM
  • Alpha5: The nada
    April 14, 2024, 04:21:06 PM
  • Alpha5: De nothing
    April 14, 2024, 04:21:12 PM
  • Alpha5: It's nada
    April 14, 2024, 04:28:39 PM
  • dbreer23: Clear as mierda
    April 14, 2024, 04:39:57 PM
  • Daddy: Back @janes
    April 14, 2024, 05:00:16 PM
  • Rhino7: If you’re in CCD and plan to return next season, make sure to check-in asap before it’s too late! Notices have been made and soon some of you could get replaced. Only takes a moment to get it done. [link]
    April 14, 2024, 06:08:14 PM
  • STLBlues91: Just got home so replying to all messages now
    April 14, 2024, 08:37:13 PM
  • jimw: CCD championship ended one week ago and we are pressured to decide right away if we are coming back or we lose our team?
    April 14, 2024, 08:39:48 PM
  • Rhino7: It’s a dynasty league so we assume everyone plans to return. This is the time for those who definitely don’t plan to return to say so that way we know ahead of time we have to find replacements. Nobody is pressuring you, it’s more of a courtesy to the LM who do this for nothing so they can make a game plan for next season.
    April 14, 2024, 11:13:17 PM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: FNHL FINALS scoring update after 1 week with 4 days to go.  :ANA: Ducks 112.05 v 149.85 :NYR: Rangers [link] :taco:
    April 14, 2024, 11:51:20 PM
  • indiansnation: Indians mlb live looking to trade looking for a bat or 2 and starting pitching.
    Yesterday at 03:38:50 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    Yesterday at 05:43:06 PM
  • Daddy: Brian you are in 11 leagues? You are a true legend dude.
    Yesterday at 06:04:36 PM
  • Daddy: Sports Fan dynasty legend.
    Yesterday at 06:05:16 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: I'm in 10
    Yesterday at 07:06:08 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: And active in all
    Yesterday at 07:06:41 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w pm
    Yesterday at 07:22:14 PM
  • indiansnation: Daddy pm
    Yesterday at 07:22:40 PM
  • STLBlues91: ill be around the rest of the day
    Yesterday at 07:27:08 PM
  • Daddy: Youre getting the full experience in that many leagues. There is always something to do.
    Yesterday at 07:33:19 PM
  • Daddy: Each league is different so makes you approach things differently.
    Yesterday at 07:33:43 PM
  • Jon: i have openings in SEC football 1st year league
    Yesterday at 07:54:15 PM
  • Jon: I am pretty sure that I am going to do away with the 64 team league as I can't justify paying the fee that Fantrax wants
    Yesterday at 07:54:44 PM
  • Jon: [link]
    Yesterday at 07:56:47 PM
  • Daddy: I pay about $500 in fantrax fees. I feel ya Jon.
    Yesterday at 08:09:00 PM
  • Daddy: Probably more if i added it all up. All that work + all that money = why very few do it. #Respect
    Yesterday at 08:11:47 PM
  • indiansnation: Bigfry pm
    Yesterday at 09:52:34 PM
  • indiansnation: Jim w one last pm
    Today at 01:01:12 AM
  • indiansnation: Trade posted jim w
    Today at 01:02:15 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: Two late night deals
    Today at 01:18:11 AM
  • Brent: Good morning guys.  Just a heads up, I am cutting back on leagues by a lot.  I'll message the commissioners which ones, but between work, school, fishing and family the thing that is going to get cut is fantasy sports.
    Today at 07:30:32 AM
  • PsychoticPondGoons: :taco::taco::taco: FNHL WELCOMES OUR NEWEST OWNER BRUISER :judge: BRUISER HAS COMPLETED PURCHASE OF THE ARIZONA/UTHA COYOTES FRANCHISE :PHO2: [link] :PHO2:
    Today at 11:37:48 AM