Author Topic: 5th Down - Week 6  (Read 786 times)

Offline Colby

• MLFB Founder
  • Legend
  • Bonus inPoints: 27
  • Founder
    • :PIT-NFL:
    • :Blank:
    • :PIT-NHL:
    • :PennState:
    • :UnitedStates:
    • View Profile
5th Down - Week 6
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »
One extra look, one extra play, one extra down... Welcome back to the 5th Down where you have one last chance to start, bench, or take an extra look at a player.

Previous 5th Downs - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Quarterbacks - By:fantasyguru

MUST START: QB Eli Manning, New York Giants :NYG-NFL: 
I have just acquired Eli in one of my leagues to help turn around a flailing 1-4 team.  Manning can start doing that this week as the Giants host the Bills who have allowed the third most yards and sixth most passing yards.  Some picks are expected to go along with Manning's performances (especially against that opportunistic Buffalo-D).  I wouldn't be surprised by a 300-yard game with a handful of TDs (and a pick or two).

MUST BENCH: QB Matt Schaub, Houston Texans :HOU-NFL:
Schaub's inconsistencies are nothing new.  He has been fair this year throwing for 9 TD and 5 picks.  The Texans are without star wideout Andre Johnson and have just acquired Derrick Mason. If you put your faith into Schaub during the draft then you may not have a qualified backup option.  Perhaps you have Manning, Campbell, Roethlisberger, or a sleeper on hand...

SLEEPER: QB Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers :SFO:
I traded for Eli this week to lead me to victory.  My opponent in that league has taken his 49ers bias to a whole new level and is starting Alex Smith.  Perhaps he isn't that insane.  While his 3-TD performance should not be expected every week, Smith has been surprisingly efficient this year throwing for only one pick allowing the 49ers to start 4-1.  Perhaps he gives you 200 yards and 2 TDs... I am hoping he doesn't do that for the sake of my Kitna Allstars, but this is why he is a sleeper QB this week.

Running backs - By: zadelstein

MUST START: RB Ahmad Bradshaw, New York Giants :NYG-NFL:
Ahmad Bradshaw is in a split back system, but that never seems to keep him from having solid fantasy outings.  Bradshaw is averaging almost 12 points a week with just under 15 carries and over 4 receptions a game.  This week, the Giants face the Bills at home.  The key for the Giants offense is to keep the ball and the best way to do that is to run it with their explosive back.  This year, the Bills are in the bottom half against the run allowing elite explosive runners such as LeSean McCoy and Darren McFadden to run all over them.  I expect similar results for Bradshaw in a game that gets pretty high scoring.

MUST BENCH: RB Jahvid Best, Detroit Lions :DET-NFL:
Jahvid Best had a breakout game against the bears with over 150 yards and a touchdown.  This week, he will come back to reality as he is only carrying the ball 12 times at most the past 3 games and only has 1 touchdown.  Pile on top of that the fact that San Fransico is giving up the fewest amount of fantasy points to opposing Running Backs and have yet to give up a rushing TD.  With a superstar such as Calvin Johnson and an arm like Staffords, dont expect Best to get many more carries any time soon.

SLEEPER: RB Earnest Graham, Tampa Bay Buccaneers :TAM:
With LeGarrette Blount out against the Saints, Earnest Graham steps up into the starting roll for a Tampa Bay team desperately seeking some offense.  This season Graham is averaging over 4.5 yards per carry and has 23 catches out of the backfield.  Expect Graham to get 15-20 carries and 5 catches with a possible 100 yard game all around and a touchdown to go with it.  The Saints have had some good games against running backs but have given up at least 18 points to them 3 different times.  If you are looking for a running back, Graham might be your guy.

Wide receivers - By: Corey

MUST START: WR Stevie Johnson, Buffalo Bills :BUF:
The Bills offense has been lights out. This is a big instate game between the Bills and Giants. The way Fred Jackson has been running teams must focus on stopping the run. This should open up things for Johnson, Fitzpatrick and the rest of the passing offense. In all leagues and all styles Johnson is a must play this week.

MUST BENCH: WR Devin Hester, Chicago Bears :CHI:
The Bears offense has been dismal. The passing offense has been terrible. Devin Hester is a sit against the Vikings on Sunday Night. For Chicago to be effective the offensive line must be top shape and Hester has to bring his hands. Those combinations are a long shot.

SLEEPER: WR Nate Burleson, Detroit Lions :DET-NFL:
San Francisco's defense has done a great job focusing on what teams do best and then taking that away. Much like the Patriots have done in the past. No I am not saying Calvin Johnson will be non-existent. I'm simply saying that Burleson should be an easy target to hit if Stafford is patient and will find the open receiver. Don't be afraid to play Nate this week.

Tight ends - By: JMACisBACK

MUST START: TE Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints :NO:
This has become a no brainer, he is seeing the most targets weekly on a pass happy team and is a red zone beast to boot. He is clearly the next Gates type impact TE and seems to be on par with top tier WR's moving forward not just TE's. Look for him to exploit Tampa this week to the tune of 6-8 catches, 90 plus yards and at least one trip to the end zone. I know this is a Captain Obvious choice as a must start, but that is what must starts are supposed to be, right??  :thumbsup:

MUST BENCH: TE Dallas Clark, Indianapolis Colts :IND:
With no Peyton Manning around to look his way 8-10 times a game , he has become one of the overhyped flops of this early season at the Tight End position. Collins, Painter, etc just dont bring enough to the table for anyone to consistently start Clark on a weekly basis and this week is no different as he goes up against one of th emore underrated defenses in the league in the Bengals this week. Sit him and find a better option this week!

SLEEPER: TE Brandon Pettigrew, Detroit Lions :DET-NFL:
Look for SF to try to minimize the damage that Calvin Johnson will do (though they wont be able to), and that will open up even more room underneath for this future stud TE. I can see Pettigrew putting up another big week in the neighborhood of 6-7 catches, 75 plus yards and one score. He is rising up the ranks weekly, just as this high power offense is with Stafford, Calvin, Best and now Pettigrew all as forces for the still undefeated Lions.  That sounds odd doesn't it?  Five weeks later and Pettigrew finds himself in the 'Sleeper' category again.  Perhaps it is time to remove the 'Sleeper' tag?

Defenses - By: Philly Girl

MUST START: DEF San Francisco 49ers :SFO:
The 49ers-D has put up 79 fantasy points this year - good for 2nd best in The Gridiron.  Their defense, led by Patrick Willis, shouldn't be much of a surprise to you, but what's keeping them ahead in most rankings this year is the offense.  The 49ers offense, still led by QB Alex Smith, is much more productive this year keeping the Niners IDPs off the field.  Regardless of the undefeated Lions and their weapons on offense this week, start the 49ers-D against Detroit.

MUST BENCH: DEF Houston Texans :HOU-NFL:
The Texans have been one of the better defenses this year.  In Week 6, they run into a solid Ravens offense in Baltimore.  With Mario Williams now out, it seems like the smart play is to bench the Texans in favor of another defense such as this week's sleeper...

SLEEPER: DEF Washington Redskins :WAS-NFL:
Washington has put up fantasy figures just like Houston this year, but it is a young team that is only getting better.  They are fairly healthy and face rival Philadelphia in Week 6.  The Eagles have coughed up the ball a league leading 15 times.  Need I say more?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 03:34:32 PM by Colby »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Learn about :Commish: inPoints and the Invitationals.

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    April 30, 2024, 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    April 30, 2024, 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:17 AM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    April 30, 2024, 08:26:57 PM
  • Rhino7: You still in CCD?
    April 30, 2024, 09:21:41 PM
  • Braves155: No
    April 30, 2024, 10:44:49 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Hey Braves155:
    April 30, 2024, 10:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE has 44 teams declared. Great teams are available like Florida, Cal, Utah major college football programs are still available.
    Yesterday at 03:09:53 PM
  • Daddy: Sign up [link] to claim your favorite college program. Recruiting begins 6/1/24 @8PM EST
    Yesterday at 03:10:42 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE season update posts on profsl (individual posts) 2021=601 views >> 2022=690 views >> 2023=5000k views (insert eyes emoji)
    Yesterday at 05:00:29 PM
  • Daddy: Profsl aint TikTok. You post something here and it gets 5k views in a few months, thats major interest gents.
    Yesterday at 05:03:47 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for ay talks in any of the leagues im in
    Yesterday at 06:54:02 PM
  • Daddy: Yall be sneaking these fast baseball trades on us. :) Congratulations to both GMs.
    Yesterday at 07:57:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: tryna stay competitive
    Yesterday at 08:18:31 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, still TBD if trading my best player will pay off in the long run.
    Yesterday at 10:19:59 PM
  • Daddy: Two more trades dropped simultaneously.
    Yesterday at 11:54:44 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to all four GMs :toth:
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • dbreer23: I'm getting too old to keep up with all of these trades.
    Yesterday at 11:58:35 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah MLB is insane this year.
    Today at 12:04:09 AM
  • Daddy: You could always go back to drinking... We dont mind a few liquor induced gremlins on the SS ;)
    Today at 12:06:49 AM
  • dbreer23: I think I'm on the wagon permanently. Haven't touched a drop in months. Wasn't a conscious thing, just sort of happened.
    Today at 12:08:42 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations sir. I think. Life's too short for me. My days are numbered.
    Today at 12:11:44 AM
  • dbreer23: Death comes for us all in the end...
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: if anything saving the drinks for the weekend
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: saving the drinks for weekend
    Today at 12:13:08 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: got two games
    Today at 12:13:17 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: going to the AHL playoff game mikwake admirals vs texas stars sat and then UTexas baseball vs oklahoma st sunday
    Today at 12:13:57 AM
  • Daddy: Death can kiss my no no zone.
    Today at 12:14:37 AM
  • dbreer23: :rofl:
    Today at 12:15:14 AM
  • Daddy: I smoke, i drink, im supposed to stop but i caint, i howl at the moon and bury my bone places its hard to dig it out of.
    Today at 12:29:22 AM
  • Daddy: If not for fantasy sports... Hmmm. I think i would be a male dancer. :)
    Today at 12:30:52 AM
  • Daddy: Another new trade just ruined a clean board. Lol  congratulations to both GMs :toth: looks like i can keep my dance outfit in the attic.
    Today at 12:40:22 AM
  • Daddy: Damn... She's a Biggun
    Today at 12:40:57 AM
  • Yeagg: That's why we made the trade. That outfit can stay hidden forever
    Today at 12:43:17 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 12:46:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i can deff say this has been the most active week in MLB live in a long while
    Today at 12:47:31 AM
  • Daddy: Season is a month old. Its been a busy month. Ask the professor.
    Today at 12:51:15 AM
  • Daddy: Thats the whole point. 30 teams 30 dudes running them. Everyday lurking & looking to build.
    Today at 12:52:50 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE we havent forgotten about you. (NCAA is just massive) We have brought in some heavy hitters in every sport. The competition and fun is what we are after. The NHL Draft is approaching.
    Today at 12:27:48 PM
  • Daddy: We will be drafting the same guys from the same draft order as the actual NHL Draft.
    Today at 12:28:18 PM
  • Daddy: Did i mention you inherited the actual teams? AHL rosters too :thumbsup:
    Today at 12:29:06 PM
  • snugerud: You lost me at 30 dudes lurking.  creeped me out.
    Today at 01:45:01 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah... Its like Pet Cemetery. (Insert ghastly music theme)
    Today at 01:55:49 PM
  • Daddy: Im like Pat McAfee without the money, success, likability or platform. Just out here loving sports and competition.
    Today at 02:04:02 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE 2024 Bowl Schedule [link]
    Today at 03:46:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for any trade talks the rest of the day
    Today at 05:37:03 PM