Author Topic: 5th Down Week 4  (Read 1043 times)

Corey

5th Down Week 4
« on: October 01, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »
Welcome to the 5th Down. This week we offer you insight on matchups from all positions. Enjoy and good luck in your fantasy matchups this week.

Quarterbacks - By: zadelstein

MUST START: QB Ryan Fitzpatrick Buffalo Bills :BUF:
After being considered a quality backup, Ryan Fitzpatrick has become a must start in virtually all leagues.  Through 3 games, Fitzpatrick is tied for 2nd in TDs thrown with 9, and is a top 10 QB.  In week 4, the Bills go up against the Bengals.  Although Cincinnati is ranked in the top 10 against QBs, that is more a testament who they have played (Cleveland, Denver and San Fransisco) than the quality of their defense.  I can see Fitzpatrick proving that he is here to stay this week with at least 250 yards and 2 TDs.

MUST BENCH: QB Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens :BAL:
Joe Flacco has had a great season so far by his standards, throwing for 7 TDs and gaining over 20 points twice in three games for the Ravens.  But in week 4, the Ravens face the great pass defense that is the New York Jets.  The Jets have only allowed 2 passing TDs all year and none in the past 2 games.  In those past 2 games combine they have allowed under 275 passing yards and 3 total fantasy points to opposing QBs.  While I think that Flacco will get better production than those the past 2 weeks (McCown/Gabbert and Campbell), I do not think it will be a good outing for the QB.  If you have another quality passer that you can start, I would strongly consider it.

SLEEPER: QB Eli Manning, New York Giants :NYG-NFL:
I personally do not consider Eli an every week starting QB, but this week he has a fantastic matchup and can follow up a fantastic outing last week with a great outing this week.  The Giants are getting back Manningham this week and with Nicks getting healthier and Cruz breaking out, the Giants all of the sudden have a pretty good receiving corps.  In week 4, New York faces off with the Arizona Cardinals, who have allowed 4 TD passes and almost 300 yards a game to Cam Newton, Rex Grossman and Tavaris Jackson.  While I don't think Eli is a great every week starter, I believe he is at least as good as Grossman and much better consistently than the other two (jury is still out on Newton).  If you are looking for a spot start, put in the other Manning.

Runningbacks - By: Corey

MUST START: RB Matt Forte, Chicago Bears :CHI:
The Bears and Forte host the Panthers in an early game this Sunday. The Bears are coming of a loss to the Packers in which Mike Martz and company completely abandoned the running game. Forte is a premier back, with a great matchup. Dont expect Martz and the Bears to forget the running game 2 days in row. Matt Forte is a must play this week.

MUST BENCH: RB DeAngelo Williams, Carolina Panthers :CAR:
The Panthers have had a non-existant run game all year. They solely are just letting Cam Newton throw the ball constantly, despite having two very good backs. The Bears have one of the best run defenses in the NFL. Combine that with the fact the game is in Chicago, and the Panthers havent been able to run it all year. DeAngelo Williams is a definite must bench for week 4.

SLEEPER: RB Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks :SEA-NFL:
The Falcons have struggled against the run this year, and that could continue this week in Seattle. The struggles of Lynch this year are not all on him, its there offense in general. With a home game this week against a desperate Atlanta Falcons squad, Lynch just might break out. If you are torn between a few backs of equal quality, give Lynch a try. He has the potential to have a good game

Wide Receivers - By: Colby

MUST START: WR Nate Washington, Tennessee Titans :TEN:
Nate has been the 9th best wideout in Hash Marks this month.  Leading wideout Kenny Britt has been placed on the IR which adds extra coverage on Washington, but his chemistry with Hasselbeck should continue.  Washington may finish as a solid WR2 this year.

MUST BENCH: WR Santonio Holmes, New York Jets :NYJ:
Plax will receive opportunities via fade route and deep play opportunities (see Mike Wallace in Week 1 against Ravens), but the number of catches for Holmes may shrink this week.  Holmes has 131 yards and a TD grab in three games, 6.3 FPG in standard formats - hardly worth a start in a yardage, let alone TD-based league.  Bench him until the schedule gets friendly and ol' Holmes produces.

SLEEPER: WR Jerome Simpson, Cincinnati Bengals :CIN-NFL:
Simpson ranks 47th in WSOK NFL with 62 YPG and no TD grabs.  Why start him this week? Cincy plays a 3-0 Bills team that has been playing every game as if it were a shootout.  Rookie star A.J. Green is dealing with a toe injury (only 29 yards on 4 grabs last week) and Simpson was even worse.  Needless to say, he was dealing with some off-field issues (nothing new to the Bengals), but Simpson appears likely to start this week, kicking Andre Caldwell back into the slot.  Expect Dalton and the Bengals to air it out against the pourous Bills-D and for Simpson to benefit.

Tight Ends - By: Philly Girl

MUST START: TE Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys :DAL:
Two of Big-D’s WRs (Austin and Bryant)are either out or nursing injuries, limiting their play. As Witten was the #1 target for Romo against the Redskins, look for him to be targeted often again this week in this week’s game against Detroit. With 272 yds this season, #2 behind Gronkowski, I expect Witten’s TD dry spell to come to an end against the Lions.

MUST BENCH: TE Dustin Keller, New York Jets :NYJ:
With 5 INTs and 5 fumble recoveries, the Ravens D is a force to be reckoned with. They made themselves known in week one as they steamrolled the defending AFC Champions. With such a great D, I would normally consider this a standout opportunity for a TE with late breaks off of the line (as mentioned in my sleeper pick) however, in this game Keller will take on more of a blocking role to offer Sanchez time to get the ball down field.

SLEEPER PICK: TE Marcedes Lewis, Jacksonville Jaguars :JAC:
Lewis was a prime target for the Jaguars last year.  He has dealt with the injury bug this year which has already kept him out of one game.  He only has four catches for the year, but one of the two games he played was that monsoon against the Panthers last Sunday.  This week brings the Saints, which according to FF Today has been one of the four worst defenses against tight ends this year.  Drier conditions, improved health, a better QB (Gabbert over McCown), and plenty of check downs from the rookie QB may mean big numbers for  Lewis.

Defense - By: JMACisBACK

MUST START: DEF Green Bay :GB:
At home vs an anemic offense in Denver, this is a no brainer must start. Look for the Pack to get after Orton early and often and put up 3-4 sacks , with 1-2 INT as well.Green Bay will look to make a statement after a sluggish game last week . Denver will get blown out this week and will be behind from the outset so the Pack can rear back and attack Orton all day long. This game could get ugly!!!

MUST BENCH: DEF Dallas :DAL:
This week they run into a vastly improved team in Detroit ( who I see making the playoffs THIS season) who feature the ELITE wr in the game in Calvin, an up and coming TE in Pettigrew and a young RB in Best who can take it to the house anytime he touches the ball. Not to mention a future pro bowl qb in Stafford. I look for Detroit to put up 27 plus points vs this cowboys defense as well as win the game. Keep the cowboys on your bench this week if you have them as your Defensive unit.

SLEEPER: DEF New Orleans :NO:
They have been giving up point early this season but have played against some high powered offensive teams in GB and HOU to date. This week they get a rookie QB in Gabbert who will be pretty one dimensional with MJD as their only legit threat. I look for the Saints to stack the box and force Gabbert to beat them and that WILL NOT happen. Play the Saints DEF this weekend and feel very comfortable doing so, regardless of the first 3 weeks!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:09:23 PM by Colby »
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    April 30, 2024, 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    April 30, 2024, 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:17 AM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    April 30, 2024, 08:26:57 PM
  • Rhino7: You still in CCD?
    April 30, 2024, 09:21:41 PM
  • Braves155: No
    April 30, 2024, 10:44:49 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Hey Braves155:
    April 30, 2024, 10:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE has 44 teams declared. Great teams are available like Florida, Cal, Utah major college football programs are still available.
    Yesterday at 03:09:53 PM
  • Daddy: Sign up [link] to claim your favorite college program. Recruiting begins 6/1/24 @8PM EST
    Yesterday at 03:10:42 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE season update posts on profsl (individual posts) 2021=601 views >> 2022=690 views >> 2023=5000k views (insert eyes emoji)
    Yesterday at 05:00:29 PM
  • Daddy: Profsl aint TikTok. You post something here and it gets 5k views in a few months, thats major interest gents.
    Yesterday at 05:03:47 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for ay talks in any of the leagues im in
    Yesterday at 06:54:02 PM
  • Daddy: Yall be sneaking these fast baseball trades on us. :) Congratulations to both GMs.
    Yesterday at 07:57:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: tryna stay competitive
    Yesterday at 08:18:31 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, still TBD if trading my best player will pay off in the long run.
    Yesterday at 10:19:59 PM
  • Daddy: Two more trades dropped simultaneously.
    Yesterday at 11:54:44 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to all four GMs :toth:
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • dbreer23: I'm getting too old to keep up with all of these trades.
    Yesterday at 11:58:35 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah MLB is insane this year.
    Today at 12:04:09 AM
  • Daddy: You could always go back to drinking... We dont mind a few liquor induced gremlins on the SS ;)
    Today at 12:06:49 AM
  • dbreer23: I think I'm on the wagon permanently. Haven't touched a drop in months. Wasn't a conscious thing, just sort of happened.
    Today at 12:08:42 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations sir. I think. Life's too short for me. My days are numbered.
    Today at 12:11:44 AM
  • dbreer23: Death comes for us all in the end...
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: if anything saving the drinks for the weekend
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: saving the drinks for weekend
    Today at 12:13:08 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: got two games
    Today at 12:13:17 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: going to the AHL playoff game mikwake admirals vs texas stars sat and then UTexas baseball vs oklahoma st sunday
    Today at 12:13:57 AM
  • Daddy: Death can kiss my no no zone.
    Today at 12:14:37 AM
  • dbreer23: :rofl:
    Today at 12:15:14 AM
  • Daddy: I smoke, i drink, im supposed to stop but i caint, i howl at the moon and bury my bone places its hard to dig it out of.
    Today at 12:29:22 AM
  • Daddy: If not for fantasy sports... Hmmm. I think i would be a male dancer. :)
    Today at 12:30:52 AM
  • Daddy: Another new trade just ruined a clean board. Lol  congratulations to both GMs :toth: looks like i can keep my dance outfit in the attic.
    Today at 12:40:22 AM
  • Daddy: Damn... She's a Biggun
    Today at 12:40:57 AM
  • Yeagg: That's why we made the trade. That outfit can stay hidden forever
    Today at 12:43:17 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 12:46:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i can deff say this has been the most active week in MLB live in a long while
    Today at 12:47:31 AM
  • Daddy: Season is a month old. Its been a busy month. Ask the professor.
    Today at 12:51:15 AM
  • Daddy: Thats the whole point. 30 teams 30 dudes running them. Everyday lurking & looking to build.
    Today at 12:52:50 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE we havent forgotten about you. (NCAA is just massive) We have brought in some heavy hitters in every sport. The competition and fun is what we are after. The NHL Draft is approaching.
    Today at 12:27:48 PM
  • Daddy: We will be drafting the same guys from the same draft order as the actual NHL Draft.
    Today at 12:28:18 PM
  • Daddy: Did i mention you inherited the actual teams? AHL rosters too :thumbsup:
    Today at 12:29:06 PM
  • snugerud: You lost me at 30 dudes lurking.  creeped me out.
    Today at 01:45:01 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah... Its like Pet Cemetery. (Insert ghastly music theme)
    Today at 01:55:49 PM
  • Daddy: Im like Pat McAfee without the money, success, likability or platform. Just out here loving sports and competition.
    Today at 02:04:02 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE 2024 Bowl Schedule [link]
    Today at 03:46:52 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for any trade talks the rest of the day
    Today at 05:37:03 PM