Author Topic: A UFL Future for Five QB's  (Read 2122 times)

Two Point Diversion

A UFL Future for Five QB's
« on: May 12, 2011, 07:52:56 PM »
A UFL Future for Five QB's
By: Eric Melch, Two Point Diversion

The UFL Draft took place on May 2nd, with a total of 52 players selected by the five teams that make up the UFL.  Of those 52, five quarterbacks were taken in the draft, each of them show promise to contribute to their team and build a successful career in the UFL.  Here is a break down of the five signal callers taken in the 2011 draft, and their prospects for the 2011 UFL season.

Jerrod Johnson Texas A&M (2010): Hartford, 1st overall pick
   YRDS: 1,947 CMP%: 56.6  YPA: 6.98  TD: 14  INT: 9  SACK: 25  RAT: 125.4

Other QB’s on Roster:
   -Josh McCown
   -Colt Brennan*

The 2010 season for Jerrod Johnson was cut short as he only completed in seven out of the thirteen games, even missing their Cotton Bowl matchup against LSU.  To get a better idea of Johnson’s skills, look at his ’09 campaign in which he threw for 3,579 yards, 30 touchdowns and only eight interceptions.  Johnson is a big quarterback (6’4”, 238 lbs.) who is able to survey the field over the line and pass with solid accuracy (roughly 60% completion during his ’08 and ’09 seasons.)
   Johnson joins the Colonials in what we see as a three way battle for the starting position.  We feel that Johnson, Brennan, and McCown, the returning starter, all have a legitimate shot at the starting quarterback job.  McCown returns to the team after a season in which he threw for over 1,400 yards and 10 touchdowns, and Brennan joins the squad coming off of a lackluster NFL career with something to prove.  Look for a tight three way battle, but all of the QB’s should get a look this season.

Ryan Colburn Fresno St. (2010): Sacramento, 3rd overall pick
   YRDS: 2,817  CMP%: 63.1 YPA: 7.83  TD: 23  INT: 9 SACK: 36 RAT: 144.9

Other QB’s on Roster
   -Daunte Culpepper
   -Liam O’Hagan
   -Jeff Mroz* (Yale)

In the 2010 Humanitarian Bowl against Northern Illinois, Fresno State quarterback Ryan Colburn did quite a bit to try and will his team to a victory.  Colburn threw for 288 yards on 28 of 38 (73.7%) passing with two touchdowns and no interceptions.  Despite coming in a 40-17 loss, the performance was indicative of Colburn’s final season as a Bulldog, in which his only two subpar performances came against Hawaii and Boise State.  Colburn is also a big quarterback, standing at 6’3” and weighing in at 220 lbs.
   Colburn arrives on the team with the most returners at the position.  Colburn will have to compete with last years starter, Daunte Culpepper, a seasoned vet who had a very successful season with the Mountain Lions last year, throwing for 1,900 yards and 10 touchdowns.  OHagan has been a consistent back up in the UFL since 2009.  We see Colburn landing in a solid position in which he can learn quite a bit from Culpepper, as it’s somewhat unlikely he’ll be able to steal away a starting spot.  However, look for Colburn to get a decent amount of time this season.

Mike Teel Rutgers (2008): Las Vegas, 31st pick
   YRDS: 3,418  CMP%: 61.4 YPA: 8.63  TD: 25 INT: 13 SACK: 16 RAT: 148.1

Other QB’s on Roster:
   -Chase Clement

Teel was originally drafted back in 2009 out of Rutgers by the Seattle Seahawks in the sixth round (178th overall).  Most recently, Teel was released by the Chicago Bears after only a few weeks on the roster.  Never registering any stats during his brief NFL career, we look at his years at Rutgers, specifically his 2008 season.  Over his four year career as a Scarlett Knight, Teel was able to lead his team to three bowl victories, coming against Kansas St. (’06), Ball St. (’07), and North Carolina St. (’08).  Much like Colburn, Teel stands at 6’3” and weighs in at 230 lbs.
   Teel’s primary competition for the starting job of the Loco’s will be returning third stringer Chase Clement.  Clement threw for only 212 yards last season and one touchdown with Las Vegas last season, playing behind Tim Rattay and Drew Willy.  Teel comes in as a challenger, and Clement would seem to have the upper hand just on experience alone as a member of the returning UFL Champions.  But Clement was still a third string QB, so you can bet that Teel will give him a run for his money.

Jeremiah Masoli Ole Miss (2010): Omaha, 38th pick
   YRDS: 2039  CMP%: 56.4  YPA: 6.89  TD: 14  INT: 13 SACK: 11  RAT: 121.1

Other QB’s on Roster
   -D.J. Shockley

Obviously known more so for his time with the University of Oregon, Masoli’s final season at Ole Miss was less than stellar.  Although his completion percentage never reached higher than 58%, Masoli completed only 56.4% of his passes during the 2010 season, which is reason for concern.  Despite his lower passintog numbers, Masoli has always made up for his shortcomings in the pocket with his rushing ability.  In 2010, Masoli ran for 544 yards, the smallest amount in his career, the high coming in 2008 with 718 rushing yards.  The other possible issue with Masoli is that he is rather small in stature, standing only 5’11” and weighing 220 lbs.
   Masoli joins the Nighthawks competing with third stringer D.J. Shockley.  Shockley backed up Jeff Garcia and Matt Gueterrez last season and only compiled 30 yards passing.  Much like Mike Teel, Masoli comes in only second on the depth chart because of his lack of UFL experience.  However, in a similar situation to Pat White joining the Destroyers, Masoli brings an added element of athleticism to the table with his ability to rush the football and scramble.  In an open battle for the starting position, we see Masoli having a real chance as the signal caller for the Nighthawks this season.

Derek Devine Marshall (2006): Virginia, 45th pick
   YRDS: 23  CMP%: 66.7  YPA: 7.76  TD: 0 INT:SACK: 0 RAT: 131.1

Other QB’s on Roster
   -Pat White*

The second quarterback taken in the draft with prior experience in the NFL, Devine was signed by the Seattle Seahawks in 2007 as an undrafted free agent, and then was given an opportunity with the Washington Redskins in 2008.  Much like Teel, Devine was unable to record any statistics during his NFL career and views the UFL as a second chance.  Devine is highly unproven but has the stature much like the other bigger quarterbacks taken in the draft (6’3”, 224 lbs.). 
   An unproven Devine will compete with the possibility of Pat White, an interesting match up that should end up heavily in White’s favor.  We see White having the potential to have an extraordinary season, with his ability not only to pass the ball, but his lethal running ability as well.  However, White’s NFL career was without many high points, but ultimately we feel that his athletic ability will overtake Devine, but there are certainly no guarantees. 
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Forum Search

Quick Profile

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Chat Room

Refresh History
  • Daddy: You cant hide or be a poser. You gotta post up your own FAs and prospect finds.
    April 30, 2024, 12:29:51 AM
  • indiansnation: Daddy  u just got traded to rangers for box of baseballs
    April 30, 2024, 12:30:29 AM
  • Daddy: Unless you miss the famous PC +$200k bid :rofl:
    April 30, 2024, 12:31:22 AM
  • Daddy: At least im worth baseballs Brian. You wanna know which kind of balls you worth my friend?
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:14 AM
  • indiansnation: I got give daddy credit on that. It makes it so much easier. I spend hours at a time researching them and then another team tries to buy them
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:18 AM
  • indiansnation: Nope i was told wiffel balls only ones at any value i could get in return
    April 30, 2024, 12:32:57 AM
  • Daddy: Big ones Brian.
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:02 AM
  • Daddy: Big Wiffle Balls
    April 30, 2024, 12:33:17 AM
  • Braves155: Evening gents
    April 30, 2024, 08:26:57 PM
  • Rhino7: You still in CCD?
    April 30, 2024, 09:21:41 PM
  • Braves155: No
    April 30, 2024, 10:44:49 PM
  • Mt_Crushmore: Hey Braves155:
    April 30, 2024, 10:47:47 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE has 44 teams declared. Great teams are available like Florida, Cal, Utah major college football programs are still available.
    Yesterday at 03:09:53 PM
  • Daddy: Sign up [link] to claim your favorite college program. Recruiting begins 6/1/24 @8PM EST
    Yesterday at 03:10:42 PM
  • Daddy: NFL LIVE season update posts on profsl (individual posts) 2021=601 views >> 2022=690 views >> 2023=5000k views (insert eyes emoji)
    Yesterday at 05:00:29 PM
  • Daddy: Profsl aint TikTok. You post something here and it gets 5k views in a few months, thats major interest gents.
    Yesterday at 05:03:47 PM
  • STLBlues91: Ill be around for ay talks in any of the leagues im in
    Yesterday at 06:54:02 PM
  • Daddy: Yall be sneaking these fast baseball trades on us. :) Congratulations to both GMs.
    Yesterday at 07:57:48 PM
  • BayAreaBallers: tryna stay competitive
    Yesterday at 08:18:31 PM
  • Brent: Yeah, still TBD if trading my best player will pay off in the long run.
    Yesterday at 10:19:59 PM
  • Daddy: Two more trades dropped simultaneously.
    Yesterday at 11:54:44 PM
  • Daddy: Congratulations to all four GMs :toth:
    Yesterday at 11:55:00 PM
  • dbreer23: I'm getting too old to keep up with all of these trades.
    Yesterday at 11:58:35 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah MLB is insane this year.
    Today at 12:04:09 AM
  • Daddy: You could always go back to drinking... We dont mind a few liquor induced gremlins on the SS ;)
    Today at 12:06:49 AM
  • dbreer23: I think I'm on the wagon permanently. Haven't touched a drop in months. Wasn't a conscious thing, just sort of happened.
    Today at 12:08:42 AM
  • Daddy: Congratulations sir. I think. Life's too short for me. My days are numbered.
    Today at 12:11:44 AM
  • dbreer23: Death comes for us all in the end...
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: if anything saving the drinks for the weekend
    Today at 12:12:50 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: saving the drinks for weekend
    Today at 12:13:08 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: got two games
    Today at 12:13:17 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: going to the AHL playoff game mikwake admirals vs texas stars sat and then UTexas baseball vs oklahoma st sunday
    Today at 12:13:57 AM
  • Daddy: Death can kiss my no no zone.
    Today at 12:14:37 AM
  • dbreer23: :rofl:
    Today at 12:15:14 AM
  • Daddy: I smoke, i drink, im supposed to stop but i caint, i howl at the moon and bury my bone places its hard to dig it out of.
    Today at 12:29:22 AM
  • Daddy: If not for fantasy sports... Hmmm. I think i would be a male dancer. :)
    Today at 12:30:52 AM
  • Daddy: Another new trade just ruined a clean board. Lol  congratulations to both GMs :toth: looks like i can keep my dance outfit in the attic.
    Today at 12:40:22 AM
  • Daddy: Damn... She's a Biggun
    Today at 12:40:57 AM
  • Yeagg: That's why we made the trade. That outfit can stay hidden forever
    Today at 12:43:17 AM
  • Daddy: :rofl: :rofl:
    Today at 12:46:41 AM
  • BayAreaBallers: i can deff say this has been the most active week in MLB live in a long while
    Today at 12:47:31 AM
  • Daddy: Season is a month old. Its been a busy month. Ask the professor.
    Today at 12:51:15 AM
  • Daddy: Thats the whole point. 30 teams 30 dudes running them. Everyday lurking & looking to build.
    Today at 12:52:50 AM
  • Daddy: NHL LIVE we havent forgotten about you. (NCAA is just massive) We have brought in some heavy hitters in every sport. The competition and fun is what we are after. The NHL Draft is approaching.
    Today at 12:27:48 PM
  • Daddy: We will be drafting the same guys from the same draft order as the actual NHL Draft.
    Today at 12:28:18 PM
  • Daddy: Did i mention you inherited the actual teams? AHL rosters too :thumbsup:
    Today at 12:29:06 PM
  • snugerud: You lost me at 30 dudes lurking.  creeped me out.
    Today at 01:45:01 PM
  • Daddy: Yeah... Its like Pet Cemetery. (Insert ghastly music theme)
    Today at 01:55:49 PM
  • Daddy: Im like Pat McAfee without the money, success, likability or platform. Just out here loving sports and competition.
    Today at 02:04:02 PM
  • Daddy: NCAA LIVE 2024 Bowl Schedule [link]
    Today at 03:46:52 PM